View Full Version : Beautification Efforts

metro
10-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Its a start....

City gets tree donation

By John Sutter
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City parks and golf courses will see some new trees plugged into barren land soon, as the city accepted this week a 300-tree donation from a non-profit group.
The donation is desperately needed, said Wendel Whisenhunt, the city’s parks and recreation director. No new trees have been planted by the city in at least three years because funds aren’t available, he said.

The Oklahoma City Tree Bank Foundation donated the trees, which cost $70 to $100 each depending on species, said the Tree Bank’s executive director, Mary Gilmore Caffrey. The city pays to transport and plant the trees.

:woowoo:

Nuclear_2525
10-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Now OKC just needs about 1,000 more of these donations and we should start seeing some improvement!

jbrown84
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Yay trees!

soonerguru
10-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Now that Paul Brum is retiring, maybe we can have even more trees. *snark*

dirtrider73068
10-26-2005, 07:18 PM
That is one thing I have noticed is okc is that there is not near enough trees, unlike norman. We have so many trees in norman it looks like a forest if you were to fly over. And they only keep planting more around town, the only problem and thing I don't like is clean up after a big wind storm blows through town. If they stay away from bradford pear trees it would help. Those are nice good looking trees but they are fragile and can fall over or split if not kept trimmed back right. I like oak trees or pecans. My fav is weeping willow, if it wasn't for them getting into water lines.

metro
10-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Now OKC just needs about 1,000 more of these donations and we should start seeing some improvement!

How many do you plan on donating?? Honestly?? I've lead a group that adopted an OKC Beautiful site and we are constantly adding so I have room to talk. This is the problem around here too many complainers and not enough doers. This may seem like a small donation but if you add that up that is a $28-30 thousand dollar donation. Its definetely a step in the right direction. Be thankful with what we get or help donate

Patrick
11-02-2005, 02:19 PM
It depends on what side of OKC you're on. Problem is OKC lies right on the tree line. Norman is east of it. Go over to the NE part of town by the zoo, and it's pretty heavily wooded. NE 50th and Kelly looks like a forest. But, west of Broadway the trees start thinning out.

Edmond did things right. Their more upscale area is on the east side. Too bad OKC wouldn't have developed in the same fashion. Everyone always talks about hoe nice Gaillardia is. Personally, I don't really think it's all that....there are absolutely no trees out there. They simply plopped a lot of big houses on farm land, and it shows. I'd take a home in east Edmond or Nichols Hills any day before I took one in Gaillardia.

metro
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
What does Gaillardia have to do with anything, have you ever been inside the development, I used to work there. It looks completely different from the inside looking out. Granted its not an older development with alot of mature trees. Its not intended to be, it is a European style development like the European hillside, especially, Irish and Scottish influences. It is a links style golf course which is supposed to be open and windy. Anyhow, back to topic please

okcpulse
11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
No mature trees in the development. None outside of the development. But I kind of like the open range idea. You could see the prairie sunset from your second floor backyard balcony.

Patrick
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Granted its not an older development with alot of mature trees.

Right, that's the point I was trying to make! :)

The same can be said about most of the west side of Oklahoma City! We need to change that by planting more mature trees.

metro
11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Again, thats not the intent and its not true, again, I used to work and play there. There are plenty of mature trees, most are hidden simply from driving by Memorial or MacArthur, if you get to play the course or go to a party at someone's house, you will see what I mean, you have to get inside the development for the mature trees although again, it was not the intent of the design, the architects wanted European and to incorporate the natural landscape.