View Full Version : JoBeth Hamon

Pete
02-13-2019, 05:51 AM
I haven't posted about JoBeth due to the election but now that she's won, I wanted to share.

When I first moved back to OKC about 2 years ago, I met JoBeth at a 'MAPS for Neighborhoods' meeting (remember that movement?) at City Presbyterian Church.

We were part of a crowd of about 30 or so and happened to fall into the same breakout group. We started chatting and she mentioned living at Regency Tower and that she had walked over, as had I from my place in SoSA. Somehow it came up that she didn't own a car (by choice) and therefore she was very familiar with the challenges of the city's transportation system. JoBeth left a big impression because she was just quietly trying to make the city a better place by showing up and getting involved in things.

When she filed for city council, I didn't even make the connection. But I was intrigued by what I had read about her and arranged to meet up for a beer at McNellie's. Only then did I realize it was the same person I had met that night at CityPres. We had a great conversation and I left impressed by her humble ambition and what seemed to be a sincere desire to make OKC a better place.

As it happens, her primary competition was Nathaniel Harding, who is very well-connected in OKC and who has served on several city boards, including the MAPS3 oversight committee. He owns an oil company and a couple of buildings in Bricktown, lives in Heritage Hills and was well-funded and backed by a who's-who of OKC elite (see below). He seems to be a very nice and well-meaning man.

But JoBeth won last night with a clear majority. I know she worked her tail off, getting out and meeting people and knocking on doors. All on foot or on her bike.

It's really nothing short of amazing.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/harding1.jpg

Urban Pioneer
02-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Both elections (Cooper and Hamon) are nothing short of amazing. Nathaniel had an unbelievable war chest as did several of James' competitors.

I worked on Meg's campaign in Ward 6 and Cooper's this time and four years ago. Sometimes the stars align for those running for office.

One interesting crossover is Ed Shadid. Obviously, an incumbent is hard to beat and he handily beat James four years ago. However, he didn't weigh in on the Ward 2 race but did weigh in on the Ward 6 race. That factor alone probably helped prevent Ward 2 from going to a runoff and we will probably never the full extent of damage that it did to Harding in Ward 6.

While I was typing this, two different people just hit me up at Coffee Slingers and told me that the letter influenced their votes and other people that they knew.

It would be disingenuous to attribute the big win in Ward 6 to only the letter. The campaign four years ago really brought into clarity that Ward 6 is truly the location of the most Progressive-minded people in perhaps the entire state of Oklahoma. Hamon was the ideal candidate for the demographic and obviously work her tail off. Nevertheless, the "Ed-factor" had some sort of effect in both races.

LakeEffect
02-13-2019, 08:47 AM
While I was typing this, two different people just hit me up at Coffee Slingers and told me that the letter influenced their votes and other people that they knew.

Guess I've been out of the loop a bit... what letter?

LakeEffect
02-13-2019, 09:02 AM
As it happens, her primary competition was Nathaniel Harding, who is very well-connected in OKC and who has served on several city boards, including the MAPS3 oversight committee. He owns an oil company and a couple of buildings in Bricktown, lives in Heritage Hills and was well-funded and backed by a who's-who of OKC elite (see below). He seems to be a very nice and well-meaning man.

But JoBeth won last night with a clear majority. I know she worked her tail off, getting out and meeting people and knocking on doors. All on foot or on her bike.

They were both good candidates, for different reasons. I'm shocked by the size of her win, but not that she won.

Also, I suggested this to a few people recently, I think it's time that the City consider splitting some wards (adding more). OKC has had 8 wards for a few decades, as far as I can tell (I can't find any online resources). The Ward portion of the Municipal Code was last updated in 1980 and it references 8 wards. Population then was 404,014, which is roughly 50,502 people per Council Member. OKC is now estimated at 643,648 as of July 2017, which is 80,456 people per Council Member.

Pete
02-13-2019, 09:09 AM
^

Shadid has advocated for more wards as well.

Believe he wanted to create 12 vs. 8.

Also believe Holt would like to have 10 that would kick in after the 2020 census.

TheSteveHunt
02-13-2019, 09:23 AM
-humble ambition and what seemed to be a sincere desire to make OKC a better place

Well put. She's in her late 20s but will bring "grown up in the room" persona to the council I believe. Really happy with this win.

LocoAko
02-13-2019, 04:07 PM
https://newsok.com/article/5622821/moneys-influence-was-insufficient-to-overcome-hamons-message-of-a-city-that-works-for-everyone

Hamon, 28, reported the week before the election that she had raised $18,600 in mostly small donations. Nathaniel Harding raised more than $140,000, much of it in donations of $500 to $2,700 from interests in banking, energy, law, public relations, and real estate development.

She was outraised nearly 8-to-1 and still pulled it off through a ground game. Wow.

krisb
02-13-2019, 09:46 PM
Ironically, OKC has finally matured by electing these younger, more progressive leaders to the City Council. Big money politics is the OKC of the past, and a grassroots vision of Oklahoma City for all is the future. This is the kind of progressive vision that Ed Shadid brought to the council and mayoral race, but his timing was premature. The urban core is more blue (and perhaps more green) than ever.

Urban Pioneer
02-14-2019, 06:49 AM
JoBeth, Nikki, James and Holt are entering a far more hospitable environment with Couch gone as well. He was the linchpin to maintaining the status quo.

It is important to understand that we can transition from a period of progressive criticism to a period of progressive vision. A turnover in one more Ward would help ensure a voting block. Right now, they will still have to build bridges and work with the suburban councilors.

TheSteveHunt
02-14-2019, 07:04 AM
Hoping Lavelle Compton runs in Ward 3 in '21, he stated he is interested. I think he would be excellent.

TheSteveHunt
02-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Ironically, OKC has finally matured by electing these younger, more progressive leaders to the City Council. Big money politics is the OKC of the past, and a grassroots vision of Oklahoma City for all is the future. This is the kind of progressive vision that Ed Shadid brought to the council and mayoral race, but his timing was premature. The urban core is more blue (and perhaps more green) than ever.

We're getting there. Greenwell raised $62k, almost all of which was spent on fancy lawyers (Glenn Coffee, Cara Rodriguez etc....) to keep me off the ballot. Anyway, I'm over it.... worth noting though.

LakeEffect
02-14-2019, 08:21 AM
JoBeth, Nikki, James and Holt are entering a far more hospitable environment with Couch gone as well. He was the linchpin to maintaining the status quo.

It is important to understand that we can transition from a period of progressive criticism to a period of progressive vision. A turnover in one more Ward would help ensure a voting block. Right now, they will still have to build bridges and work with the suburban councilors.

+1

TheSteveHunt
02-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Was there any discussion of the disgraceful red-baiting Friday paper piece here? I'm amazed how poorly them and Pat McFerron and the others did this go 'round....I know they didn't play nice, but there were a number of things I thought they would throw out beyond the stupid red-baiting article. I guess the old anti real progress players are losing their touch.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know these folks well enough to know if they'll advocate for change regarding how OKC treats it historic structures so we can lessen the chances of things like the Founders Building be dozed with no warning or public comment? Maybe even, dare I say, expand design review limits?

TheSteveHunt
02-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Good fun times ahead.15153

shawnw
02-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know these folks well enough to know if they'll advocate for change regarding how OKC treats it historic structures so we can lessen the chances of things like the Founders Building be dozed with no warning or public comment? Maybe even, dare I say, expand design review limits?

At one of the candidate forums I submitted a question about mandatory waiting periods before demolitions and JoBeth expressed support.

soonerguru
02-14-2019, 09:18 PM

James made preserving our historic neighborhoods and urban districts a cornerstone of his campaign messaging.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2019, 09:22 PM
I'm glad to hear this. I haven't been keeping up with local election information so thank you for the scoop. Here's to making some good progress on this in the coming years!

TheSteveHunt
02-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Unless you know everyone and are out and about you aren't really going to be able to keep up with it. It is
a shame how little coverage there is in the media over this important stuff. Something we need to work on
for sure.

I'm glad to hear this. I haven't been keeping up with local election information so thank you for the scoop. Here's to making some good progress on this in the coming years!

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Unless you know everyone and are out and about you aren't really going to be able to keep up with it. It is
a shame how little coverage there is in the media over this important stuff. Something we need to work on
for sure.

I was kind of shocked to see that newsok.com did not have a single piece of coverage on the OKC City Council elections during Tuesday night. I know they suck completely now, but man, that's really sucking super-hard....

CCOKC
02-15-2019, 08:27 AM
I am so excited to see what is to come on the city council in the coming years. I met JoBeth at a friend's house and for a small fundraiser and was quite impressed as well. If she worked this hard to win the election while being massively outspent, I imagine she will work her tail off for our citizens, and especially our citizens who may have not had a powerful voice before specifically those use public transit and the homeless among. BTW she is Steve's special guest on his live chat this morning.

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 09:14 AM
JoBeth is Lackmeyer's guest on his chat this morning, with James Cooper on next week.

BoulderSooner
02-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Sadly she seem to be Ed light. (And may not have gotten elected with our Ed’s untrue political and personal attack letter of Harding ).

Appears that she was anti maps 3. Is anti streetcar and will be anti maps 4

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Sadly she seem to be Ed light. (And may not have gotten elected with our Ed’s untrue political and personal attack letter of Harding ).

Got any cites for those statements?

Pryor Tiger
02-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Got any cites for those statements?

Yes Boulder please do tell? Pretty big things to throw out there about JoBeth and seems like an axe to grind...

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Just for reference, here's all I could find about her stances on MAPS 4 and the streetcar (couldn't find anything on MAPS 3). Disclaimer - my employer blocks Twitter and Facebook, so if there's anything on there, I can't see it. Oh, and I'm in Ward 2, not Ward 6, so she's not my councilperson-elect, but spreading (as-yet) unsubstantiated crap like that is pretty uncool and irresponsible.

From https://newsok.com/article/5621516/ward-6-council-candidates-talk-streetcars-schools-and-social-services:

"Hamon, on the other end of that spectrum, says she's sometimes asked about her age but only in friendly and positive ways. Her time working in social services, and her frequent use of city buses, have fed her desire to see more affordable housing and expansion of bus routes in the city. She prioritizes them over streetcar expansion.

“I have my own ideas around how MAPS 4 can address things like homelessness or our bus system but I've also heard from a lot of people, ‘I just want sidewalks and streetlights in my neighborhood,'” she said."

citi
02-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Sadly she seem to be Ed light. (And may not have gotten elected with our Edís untrue political and personal attack letter of Harding ).

I hosted a fundraiser for JoBeth. None of your remarks hold water. I spoke with her extensively about all three items you mentioned, and that is not true. She has more to learn but she is an independent thinker.
She knew nothing in advance of Ed's intention to send that letter out and felt it hurt her, several people mentioned their unhappiness with the letter as did I.
Nathaniel is a nice man but came off as inauthentic, he kept repeating all the committees he had been on, all his endorsements. He came off as a yes man to the Downtown Stakeholders; that was his undoing.

OkieDave
02-15-2019, 01:38 PM
There have been 8 representatives to council since 1927 until the late '60s 4 wards with 2 reps each. The voting rights act help change the way wards were districted, it moved from voter registration numbers to population and created 8 wards. I think time is ripe for 10-12 wards could easily draw up a majority hispanic population ward and a more robust stronger Ward 7.

OkieDave
02-15-2019, 01:49 PM
JoBeth was the right candidate for the ward, she had great campaign people, started early, worked hard and connected. She won on her own. Not sure anyone really thinks the letter hurt her.

TheSteveHunt
02-15-2019, 01:53 PM
only if she got a paper cut while reading it.

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Can someone point me to the aforementioned letter? I didn't know anything about it until a few days ago (weird, 'cos I keep up pretty well with political stuff, especially local), and can't seem to find it on the internet. :(

Pete
02-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Here it is.

You'll need to right click and open the image in a new tab to see the full-sized version.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/jobethletter.jpg

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Cool, thanks, it seems to be all factual, unless somebody can tell me if anything in it is a proven untruth... Wonder why he didn't endorse Cooper for Ward 2 the same way (I wasn't living in Ward 2 when the last council election was held, so don't know the history between Cooper and Shadid)?

dankrutka
02-15-2019, 03:50 PM
I don't know much about JoBeth, but it's really cool to see someone who walks the walk, or bikes the bike, on transportation infrastructure and planning. I sold my car in June and I get around by walking, biking, bus, and light rail. Living without a car completely changes how you view a city, helps you identify problems others that many others with influence and cars miss, and puts you into contact with a more diverse socioeconomic group of fellow citizens. Also, if you're thinking of going car-less, I haven't looked back. Now, my wife does have a car that I can ask to borrow if need be, but I've rarely done so beyond traveling out of DFW.

Pete
02-15-2019, 03:59 PM
^

And I would add JoBeth was doing this years before, long before she decided to run for public office. And certainly not as some sort of experiment or ploy or even so she could brag to others about being some sort of class warrior.

Can you imagine not having a car in this town, even living downtown? You simply can't understand things until you live it for years; waiting for a bus in the freezing cold or driving rain without even a shelter...

Forget that she won public office while going up against an extremely well-connected and well-financed opponent. I'm more impressed that she actually lived this way without having some sort of ulterior motive.

soonerguru
02-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Cool, thanks, it seems to be all factual, unless somebody can tell me if anything in it is a proven untruth... Wonder why he didn't endorse Cooper for Ward 2 the same way (I wasn't living in Ward 2 when the last council election was held, so don't know the history between Cooper and Shadid)?

Because James ran against him previously.

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Because James ran against him previously.

Yeah, seems reasonable, but since Ed wasn't running against him this time, he could've spoken up for someone taking over his spot that has some of the same qualifications as JoBeth does, but oh yeah, it's Ed (I don't think he endorsed anybody for Ward 2).

Urban Pioneer
02-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Suzanne Broadbent actually threw a fundraiser for Ed and Dover gave him money in previous elections so I understand. It was a smart move on his part to not get involved and offend a bunch of people.

TheTravellers
02-15-2019, 05:10 PM
Suzanne Broadbent actually threw a fundraiser for Ed and Dover gave him money in previous elections so I understand. It was a smart move on his part to not get involved and offend a bunch of people.

OK, thanks, makes sense. Mike lives down the street from me, talked to him a lot at the Neighbors Night Out gatherings the past 2 years, as well as during our tree-planting project on the Venice median from 30th - 36th, and he said he had Ed's blessing to run (stopped short of "endorsement").

TheSteveHunt
02-16-2019, 08:01 AM
It is amazing Ed does anything with all the crap he's been through. He's a good dude.

BoulderSooner
02-16-2019, 03:28 PM

O ok. Sure.

Dob Hooligan
02-16-2019, 03:38 PM
I'm over 36 years in Ward 6. I own my business and building here. Essentially defining all I am in life. I hope she does well and am encouraged by what I read on this thread. I hope I can get up the courage to ask her to study the Fairgrounds area.

I think the north-south road on the west side of the Fairgrounds (Geronimo at Reno IIRC) connects from Reno to 10th. It has an east-west outlet (Black Gold) that goes under I-44 and intersects Portland. State Fair Park has squatted on this road and blocked all traffic at Black Gold, essentially making it a Reno to Portland route. If this were opened back up, and with minor work and information, this could become an outlet for the southbound I-44 to OSU-OKC, Mathis Bros. and Bob Mills traffic overload that swamps the 10th and Portland intersection. But, the thought of crossing the State Fair Park machine puts me in a cold sweat.

TheTravellers
02-16-2019, 04:48 PM
O ok. Sure.

Never did come up with any links, cites, or proof for your assertion of "Appears that she was anti maps 3. Is anti streetcar and will be anti maps 4", did you?

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Never did come up with any links, cites, or proof for your assertion of "Appears that she was anti maps 3. Is anti streetcar and will be anti maps 4", did you?
He never does. It's often a surprise to even see him respond after someone calls him out.