View Full Version : Belle Isle Library

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pete
01-30-2019, 03:57 AM
City council voted yesterday to move forward with a $7.1 million renovation and expansion of the Belle Isle Library. ADG was selected as the architect.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bilibrary1.jpg

From OKC Mod Squad (https://okcmod.com/architecture/gallery/belle-isle-library/):

Designed by Jack Mills of Turnbull & Mills
5501 N. Villa, OKC

As Oklahoma City moved to the ‘burbs in larger and larger numbers, it quickly became apparent that the downtown and Capitol Hill libraries wouldn’t be enough to serve the needs of the community. So, the City of Oklahoma City acquired two and a half acres of land at the corner of NW Expressway and Villa and a new, $300,000 library was planned.

Then, it was architect Jack Mills (of Turnbull & Mills) turn to get to work. He designed a circular, stone and glass building with 18,000 sf of space containing an auditorium, conference room, staff lounge and both kids’ and adult sections:

When the shiny, new Belle Library opened its doors in the spring of 1963, it boasted a collection of 30,000 books and facilities for two travelling bookmobiles. Over the years, the interior has been updated to incorporate computer facilities and more book space, but the exterior remains in excellent original condition.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bilibrary2.jpg

Martin
01-30-2019, 07:02 AM
she may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid...

foodiefan
01-30-2019, 07:28 AM
. . .be careful with my library!!!

Ross MacLochness
01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
I kind of appreciate the radial design of this and other mid century buildings like it, such as the building at Will Rogers Park.

Johnb911
01-30-2019, 07:55 AM

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

TheTravellers
01-30-2019, 08:55 AM

Was my library as a kid and it's now my library again as an adult, hope the "expansion" doesn't screw up the original design...

sgt. pepper
01-30-2019, 09:08 AM
Just tear it down and build another one! haha

stile99
01-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Just tear it down and build another one! haha

Yeah right, who could catch it? This is the library that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!

bombermwc
01-31-2019, 06:26 AM
Ive always thought the same thing about the place.

If you've seen the new Solo movie, at least that Kessel run quote finally makes sense.

But seriously, lets not screw with the design too much so we can keep the old girl.

Pete
02-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Press release about this project:

LARGE-SCALE RENOVATION PLANNED FOR BELLE ISLE LIBRARY

OKLAHOMA CITY– Plans for the renovation of the Belle Isle Library will soon be underway after the City of Oklahoma City Council recently awarded the design of the project to ADG, a local architecture firm.

The renovation will include major changes to the existing floorplan and an expansion that will add about 14,000 square foot to the library. In addition, the library will add new furniture, fixtures and equipment.

“We are excited to get started on the Belle Isle Library renovation project,” Deputy Executive Director of Operations Anthony Herron said. “The Belle Isle Library is beloved by many Oklahoma City residents, and we are happy to have the opportunity to improve their experience by creating a larger more tech-friendly space.”

The Metropolitan Library System and the City will begin working with ADG and Aaron Cohen Associates, an internationally known library design consultant, to develop an addition that will complement the existing structure. It is estimated that the design phase will take 12 months to complete.

The library will move to a temporary location during the renovation. At this time, a space has not yet been secured. Construction is estimated to take 12 to 18 months to complete.

The Belle Isle Library was built in 1965 and last underwent an expansion in 1988 to add 6,600 square feet. The nearly $8.3 million in project funds provided by the City of Oklahoma City are from the 2007 and 2017 General Obligation Bonds. Funds provided by the Metropolitan Library System will be allocated at the Feb. 21 meeting of the Metropolitan Library System Commission at Ralph Ellison Library.

In fiscal year 2018, the Belle Isle Library had more than 224,000 visits. The library also had a 5 percent uptake in new library account holders and almost a 10 percent increase in materials borrowed since 2017. Overall, the library serves about 35,000 active customers.

More details will be announced as the planning process for the design begins. Library users can visit the library website www.metrolibrary.org or follow the library on Facebook @metrolibrary to stay up to date on the latest library news and announcements.

TheTravellers
02-05-2019, 03:19 PM
This should be interesting - the plot they sit on is pretty well taken up by the current building and parking (and can't really expand much, if at all, land-wise due to neighboring bldgs/streets/lots), and the parking is mostly full at the times we go (weekend afternoons and some weekday evenings). Be really nice if they built up instead of sideways in order to preserve the original(ish) footprint.

Pete
10-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Renovation of Belle Isle Library to expand on mid-century style (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=673-Renovation-of-Belle-Isle-Library-to-expand-on-mid-century-style)

This week, architects ADG presented plans for a $7 million renovation and expansion of the Belle Isle Library.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419b.jpg

The much-loved structure opened at NW Expressway and Villa in 1963, with a unique stone exterior and round floorplan.

Although some small updates have been made to the interior to accommodate computers and modern equipment, the building stands as a relatively un-touched example of early 1960's architecture.

Goals for ADG was to preserve and enhance the original design while expanding and modernizing.

Three new additions will make the space more cohesive and provide areas for children, teens, adults, story rooms and meeting rooms.

A large meeting space for the community will be added, which can accommodate up to 200 people and can be split into two separate meeting rooms, with integrated audiovisual equipment.

New glass exterior walls at the north and south additions allow views into the library to showcase existing exterior stone walls

Construction is scheduled to begin summer of 2020 and be completed by fall of 2021.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102419g.jpg

BrettM
10-25-2019, 06:46 AM
So cool.

gopokes88
10-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Fantastic.

bombermwc
10-25-2019, 06:58 AM
I got a weird message when i tried to view the link on the details. Does it mention anything about what the extra space will house?

Pete
10-25-2019, 07:06 AM
I got a weird message when i tried to view the link on the details. Does it mention anything about what the extra space will house?

The entire article is posted above.

Pete
10-25-2019, 07:11 AM
You'll have to open these is a new window to see the detail:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102519a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102519b.jpg

AP
10-25-2019, 07:14 AM
I’m so happy about this. I already love this library.

TheTravellers
10-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Been anxiously awaiting these plans ever since the announcement - it's been my library for over 40 years now (with a 15 year gap in the middle) and I'm torn between liking it because it looks like it might be cool if done properly (and they need the extra space) and not liking it because it'll destroy the original look of it. Just hope they do it right.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-25-2019, 11:08 AM
If I had a kid who went to Belle Isle magnet school, I'd demand the plans include funding for sidewalks for kids to walk safely from school to this library.

Pete
10-25-2019, 11:12 AM
^

I live nearby and pedestrian access is insanely bad.

Almost impossible to cross NW Ex at Villa, no real sidewalks, etc.

BDK
10-25-2019, 12:05 PM
^

I live nearby and pedestrian access is insanely bad.

Almost impossible to cross NW Ex at Villa, no real sidewalks, etc.

Any idea if this will be fixed with the state/county handing over this stretch of NW Expressway? Seems like this area is prime for a pedestrian-friendly overhaul, especially with the Oak development being built.

Dob Hooligan
10-25-2019, 01:39 PM
My only knock are the orange and turquoise exterior colors. They strike me as too trendy and will scream "late teens" for the next century. Even though it is contemporary, I prefer expansions or remodels look as timeless as possible.

Rover
10-25-2019, 02:58 PM
My only knock are the orange and turquoise exterior colors. They strike me as too trendy and will scream "late teens" for the next century. Even though it is contemporary, I prefer expansions or remodels look as timeless as possible.

Well, contemporary IS timeless to some. Just look at the demand there has been for mid-century modern architecture lately. A decade ago, old world was the fad. Colors go out of favor when everyone starts using them, but then they keep coming back too. We will tire of them soon enough, and then long for them later.

TheTravellers
10-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Well, contemporary IS timeless to some. Just look at the demand there has been for mid-century modern architecture lately. A decade ago, old world was the fad. Colors go out of favor when everyone starts using them, but then they keep coming back too. We will tire of them soon enough, and then long for them later.

Agree, it's not "late teens" styling/colors, both are pretty much mid-century modern - the X and diamond-type pattern on the walls is completely, totally straight out of 1950s decor.

shawnw
10-25-2019, 06:58 PM
it's almost stage center-esque

Rover
10-26-2019, 07:08 AM
it's almost stage center-esque
How so? Not being vacated. Not being torn down. Its use is being expanded. Expansion seems complementary. City is spending money to extend its useful life with the community benefitted. Doesn’t seem anything like Stage Center.

TheTravellers
10-26-2019, 12:34 PM
If I had a kid who went to Belle Isle magnet school, I'd demand the plans include funding for sidewalks for kids to walk safely from school to this library.

It is needed, but seriously doubt that will happen. If there are sidewalks going in (big if), it'd be through Better Streets... or the latest bond issue.

shawnw
10-26-2019, 04:29 PM
How so? Not being vacated. Not being torn down. Its use is being expanded. Expansion seems complementary. City is spending money to extend its useful life with the community benefitted. Doesn’t seem anything like Stage Center.

Um, just meant that when I look at it, it has a similar feel as stage center... an opinion, obvs

TheTravellers
10-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Are there any plans showing how this all relates to the surrounding parking lots and streets? I don't think there's enough room to do what they want to do *and* keep the current layout of parking and curbs, etc. intact.

Rover
10-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Um, just meant that when I look at it, it has a similar feel as stage center... an opinion, obvs
Still not sure I understand. Totally different architectural styles, materials, etc.

Dob Hooligan
10-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Still not sure I understand. Totally different architectural styles, materials, etc.

I totally understand his view. A public information space that with it's Mid Century Modern Design (and ongoing expansion of the theme) is something that is not duplicated much in OKC.

hoya
10-27-2019, 10:46 AM

I see what he's saying. Look at Pete's post on page 1 with the overhead view plans from ADG. There's a big round thing in the middle with other parts sticking out of it.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-27-2019, 11:35 AM
It is needed, but seriously doubt that will happen. If there are sidewalks going in (big if), it'd be through Better Streets... or the latest bond issue.

I thought there was a rule now that new construction or renovation had to include sidewalk planning, specifically to avoid having to do bond issues. I thought that was why so many deadend sidewalks, because they were required as part of the construction package and city has to use tax money to connect said sidewalks.

TheTravellers
10-27-2019, 03:41 PM
I thought there was a rule now that new construction or renovation had to include sidewalk planning, specifically to avoid having to do bond issues. I thought that was why so many deadend sidewalks, because they were required as part of the construction package and city has to use tax money to connect said sidewalks.

I believe there is, but don't know the specifics, although I'd bet it would only apply to the property under renovation/construction, so if there aren't already sidewalks on Villa on the library's property, that would probably be the only place new sidewalks would go in. It'd be like a house being constructed in between two other houses on a street with no sidewalks - they'd only put a sidewalk in front of the new house, not anybody else's (we've seen that many times). Maybe somebody with more knowledge on this can chime in.

SoonersFan12
11-02-2019, 09:28 AM

I have been thinking the same thing! I am not a fan of that, they should have paint it gray

Dob Hooligan
11-02-2019, 10:03 AM
I have been thinking the same thing! I am not a fan of that, they should have paint it gray

Looks to me that the material used for those orange and turquoise walls are a made in color product. I'm guessing it is not recommended to ever paint it. So we would have these colors for over 100 years. I love color, but I prefer timeless hues or a surface that would easily take paint.

TheTravellers
01-04-2020, 04:22 PM
You'll have to open these is a new window to see the detail:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/belleisle102519a.jpg

Finally did a side-by-side comparison of this and a current overhead view to see how the new additions will fit on the lot, and it will all fit without compromising any parking, but almost all the green space will be gone (worth it, IMO). The bottom of the above image is the Villa side of the lot, FYI.

Asked a librarian today and he said they're moving in May-ish to a strip mall type place about a mile west (he wasn't exactly sure where), said it won't have nearly the current space (the temp libraries never do during remodels, so nothing new there), and they had a hard time finding a spot because of expensive leases.

Pete
01-06-2020, 12:51 PM
The library has rented space next to Gold's Gym at NW Expressway and Portland, so that's where they'll be once the renovation commences.

Pete
03-19-2020, 08:39 AM
They filed for their building permit, so work should be starting soon.

SoonersFan12
03-21-2020, 08:44 AM
They filed for their building permit, so work should be starting soon.

It will be really nice when it is done, I am looking forward to it!

Pete
06-22-2020, 08:11 AM
Looks like they had to rebid construction after the first responses came in too high.

Plutonic Panda
06-22-2020, 11:31 AM
So I suppose we can expect to have this project “value engineered.”

HangryHippo
06-22-2020, 11:36 AM
So I suppose we can expect to have this project “value engineered.”
The “Oklahoma Standard”. lol

TheTravellers
06-22-2020, 12:10 PM
Well, sh*t, there goes a bunch of the cool stuff.

Pete
07-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Press release:

BELLE ISLE LIBRARY TO CLOSE
FOR RENOVATIONS

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – The library known to many as the “Millennium Falcon” or “Starship Enterprise” will close on July 17, 2020 to undergo an extensive remodel, launching the 1960s style library into the future. Before this remodel begins, the library will move into a temporary location at 3621 NW Expressway, next to Gold’s Gym and Buy for Less.

The temporary library location will open in mid-August, and construction will start around the same time on the renovations of the existing building.

The renovations will preserve the building’s iconic looks while still giving the library some much needed upgrades. The renovation will include adding about 10,000 square feet to the library to include a much larger meeting area, study rooms, children’s programming space, large teen space and a makerspace/MLS studios. In addition, the library will have all new furniture, more computers and more parking.

ADG is the local architecture firm for the renovation.

Visit www.metrolibrary.org for updates about the move to the temporary location and the renovation.

David
07-21-2020, 08:52 AM
Apparently they are getting some donations for this renovation, from: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1285583441292144641

Next we hear about the Belle Isle library. A construction project there has received donations and the construction can be expanded because of that.

SoonersFan12
07-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Apparently they are getting some donations for this renovation, from: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1285583441292144641

It is very nice of generous people to do that!

midtownokcer
07-21-2020, 10:19 AM
We are so lucky to have such a great library system in Oklahoma County. My count might be off but they've built or remodeled 5-6 libraries just in the past 8 years or so. The staff are amazing, too.

Ward
07-21-2020, 10:29 AM
^^^^^ I agree. Our library system is an underappreciated asset.

I've tried to get friends to get a library card and they refuse, they don't like to read. I explain to them that the library offers free streaming services of movies, documentaries, etc etc etc as well as learning materials.

They just aren't interested as they sit in their lazyboy chairs and pay the couple hundred dollars a month of cable/satellite services and bitch about the prices.

The Oklahoma County Library System is a jewel.

midtownokcer
07-21-2020, 10:51 AM

I've tried to get friends to get a library card and they refuse, they don't like to read. I explain to them that the library offers free streaming services of movies, documentaries, etc etc etc as well as learning materials.

They just aren't interested as they sit in their lazyboy chairs and pay the couple hundred dollars a month of cable/satellite services and bitch about the prices.

Yes! The services are incredible. I know people who shell out $$$ for subscriptions to magazines, databases, streaming services, etc. I mean, right now Ancestry.com is completely free and accessible from home through the library system. I know people who pay for that monthly!

Libraries change communities in such a positive way; I'm so excited to see what Belle Isle will do for the area.

Edmond Hausfrau
07-21-2020, 11:22 AM

Do they like free computers? Free tax forms? Free research help? Free comfy chairs?
Seriously, their tax dollars help pay for it. I bet if they went once, they'd be amazed at the services.

HOT ROD
07-22-2020, 02:38 PM
I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions. Also I doubt they're connected to transit (and even then, dont have adequate pedestrian walkways aka sidewalks, trees, lighting).

Contrast that to the King County Library System with their numerous locations and inviting if not innovative design; you just WANT to patronize it. Take a look at the Bellevue (https://kcls.org/locations/1492/), Federal Way Regional (https://kcls.org/locations/1509/), or the brand spanking new Bellevue Lake Hills (https://kcls.org/locations/1522/) locations, very inviting, and all are well connected!!

I had proposed long ago that OKC consider transit transfer mini-hubs at the libraries and community centers kind of like they do with the malls. This idea would encourage use of facilities for folks waiting to transfer who may purposefully incorporate library into their plans. As of today OKC would need to modify their system from the destination based to something like here (which is location based, with key transfer stops along the way).

Example of what I mean: today OKC says ## Qail Springs Mall (destination) but should read ## Quail Springs via N Western or Edmond via Quail Springs, Moore via S Western, Moore via Express. etc. (location). The beauty of location based transit (vs destination) is you cover all destinations along the way to the end location - which is usually a transit hub, suburb, or major destination (but gives the rider an idea of the route). Here we have 150 Kent via Southcenter (https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps/route/150.aspx) (Kent is the end suburb, Southcenter is the major mall destination along the way), with bus signage "Seattle via Southcenter" or "Kent via Southcenter".

Pete
07-22-2020, 02:55 PM
I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions.

This is completely wrong.

Virtually every library in the metro system is new or newly remodeled. Belle Isle is one of the very few that is original and the whole point of this thread is they are getting ready to spend a ton of money and have selected a bold and expensive design.

Just in the last couple of years they have opened big, beautiful libraries in Capitol Hill and Bethany.

There is plenty in OKC that couple be improved, but it's absurd to criticize the library system, which is pretty darn amazing.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/librarysouthern.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/librarynw.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/libraryjones.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/librarych.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/libraryvillage.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ellisonlibrary.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/librarydowntown.png

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/librarybethany.jpg

TheTravellers
07-22-2020, 02:58 PM
I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions. Also I doubt they're connected to transit (and even then, dont have adequate pedestrian walkways aka sidewalks, trees, lighting).

Contrast that to the King County Library System with their numerous locations and inviting if not innovative design; you just WANT to patronize it. Take a look at the Bellevue (https://kcls.org/locations/1492/), Federal Way Regional (https://kcls.org/locations/1509/), or the brand spanking new Bellevue Lake Hills (https://kcls.org/locations/1522/) locations, very inviting, and all are well connected!!...

When we lived in Puyallup and Sumner in 2007 - 2009, we used the Puyallup library and were very impressed by it, I definitely agree with your points about the differences between ours and theirs. One of ours is just a space in a strip mall, and a couple of others look pretty much like pre-fab stainless steel sheds. But I have no idea where the Metro Library system would get the money to make them better, it doesn't seem to be a priority here (your area has way more highly educated people than OKC/OK does, so they most likely place more emphasis/money on libraries than OKC/OK does). Improving transit to/from them is do-able, though, I'd think, but improving transit in OKC is another, massive can of worms (bus signage improvement should be easy, though).

Pete
07-22-2020, 03:00 PM
When we lived in Puyallup and Sumner in 2007 - 2009, we used the Puyallup library and were very impressed by it, I definitely agree with your points about the differences between ours and theirs. One of ours is just a space in a strip mall, and a couple of others look pretty much like pre-fab stainless steel sheds. But I have no idea where the Metro Library system would get the money to make them better, it doesn't seem to be a priority here (your area has way more highly educated people than OKC/OK does, so they most likely place more emphasis/money on libraries than OKC/OK does). Improving transit to/from them is do-able, though, I'd think, but improving transit in OKC is another, massive can of worms (bus signage improvement should be easy, though).

This is ridiculous.

Read my post above yours.

TheTravellers
07-22-2020, 03:04 PM
This is ridiculous.

Read my post above yours.

Yep, read it, and I agree with it, but just saying that we still have a few outliers that aren't that great, and there's absolutely no debate about the education levels in both states, which might or might not play into our lower-level libraries still being "not great". So yeah, they've built/remodeled libraries, but we still have some that need more love (maybe they're in low-usage areas - Luther, Almonte, Nicoma Park?).

Also, the Belle Isle renovation is getting re-bid after they came in too high, so yes, they're spending tons of money on it, but fewer tons than they expected it to cost. Will any of the features be lost, will corners be cut, or ......?

Pete
07-22-2020, 03:07 PM
we still have a few outliers that aren't that great

Which ones, specifically?

And they came up with the money to build Belle Isle as proposed.

I'm not picking on any one person but not *everything* in OKC sucks. The library system is great and a ton of money has been invested in it in just the last couple of decades.

TheTravellers
07-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Which ones, specifically?

And they came up with the money to build Belle Isle as proposed.

I'm not picking on any one person but not *everything* in OKC sucks. The library system is great and a ton of money has been invested in it in just the last couple of decades.

Last sentence - absolutely, they're by far the most comprehensive library system I've ever run across in my travels/living, their service is great, and they *have* been building/remodeling. But the Edmond and Village libraries were almost completely full and out of expansion space and needed more space immediately upon opening (I think the Edmond one is fixed, but Village isn't, haven't been to either in years, so not totally sure), and Bethany just got fixed in the past year, so in a few years, the system might be *all* very nice.

Good to hear about the BI renovation, hadn't seen/heard an update.

Almonte - strip mall
Nicoma Park and Luther - look like double-wides or pre-fab.

midtownokcer
07-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Last sentence - absolutely, they're by far the most comprehensive library system I've ever run across in my travels/living, their service is great, and they *have* been building/remodeling. But the Edmond and Village libraries were almost completely full and out of expansion space and needed more space immediately upon opening (I think the Edmond one is fixed, but Village isn't, haven't been to either in years, so not totally sure), and Bethany just got fixed in the past year, so in a few years, the system might be *all* very nice.

Good to hear about the BI renovation, hadn't seen/heard an update.

Almonte - strip mall
Nicoma Park and Luther - look like double-wides or pre-fab.

Almonte wasn't even supposed to be a library. It was a temp location for Southern Oaks back in 2012 while it was being renovated. MLS asked the city to keep it open when they signed up 5,000-6,000 new patrons at that location. The city also has land set aside for a new Almonte Library. It's coming, but these projects take some time.

As for Luther and Nicoma Park, those cities need to take a look at what Jones did. Keep in mind, the cities own the buildings, not the Metropolitan Library System.