View Full Version : Mr. Thunder Nick Collison's jersey to be retired...

Laramie
01-13-2019, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-eEUAkorCQ

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Nick_Collison.jpg/330px-Nick_Collison.jpg

https://cdn.tiebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/nick-collison.jpg

A very worthy jersey number 4, the last original Thunder player left on the roster who played in Seattle and stayed true to the organization throughout its relocation to Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma City Thunder will honor a longtime contributor by retiring the No. 4 jersey worn by Nick Collison later this season.

The team announced Saturday that the ceremony will take place on March 20, making Collison the first player in this franchise to have his number retired since moving to Oklahoma City 11 years ago.--Beachler report, Rob Goldberg, January 12, 2019: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815390-nick-collisons-jersey-to-be-1st-number-retired-by-thunder-on-march-20

dcsooner
01-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Disagree

bhawes
01-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Disagree

Agree getting a Jersey retire is for Hall of Fame players. The lakers would never do this.
:cool::cool:

Jake
01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
I mean, I kinda get why he's getting his jersey retired.

Yet, I feel like retiring a jersey should be reserved for only the best. Westbrook and, regardless if people hate him, Durant should be the only Thunder players worthy of jersey retirement as of now.

d-usa
01-13-2019, 05:26 PM
I think it’s a good decision as it reflects on the values and traits the organization considers important in a “great” player.

Laramie
01-13-2019, 06:06 PM
https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r620-b09052a98db89f6d6f4fe9dcc94cbbb4.jpg

First of all, the Thunder are not the Los Angeles Lakers.

We're in a totally different era & society today; do you wait until Nick Collison is dead to show your appreciation for the blood, sweat & tears he endured to retire his jersey. Let's not forget, Nick could have refused to relocate with the franchise when the move was made to our city.

Nick Collison wasn't the wealthiest Thunder or NBA player; however he & his wife supported many organizations/charities home & abroad. He continues to follow the Thunder; that's why they call him Mr. Thunder.

The Oklahoma City Thunder has set a date to retire No. 4 on Wednesday, March 20 when the Thunder hosts the Toronto Raptors at Chesapeake Energy Arena.

“I am thrilled that Nick Collison will be the first Thunder player to have their number retired in Oklahoma City,” said Thunder Chairman Clayton I. Bennett. “He has cemented himself as part of the fabric of this community and our organization by setting an example of commitment, hard work and authenticity. Congratulations Nick.”

Time to celebrate the accomplishments of a player who gave all he had to Oklahoma City. Nick Collison & family, we love you!

OKC Guy
01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Nick - Yes
Russ - Yes
KD - Never

Jake
01-13-2019, 07:36 PM
It will be a very long time from now, but I would bet Durant eventually gets his jersey retired here. Won an MVP, took the team to its only NBA Finals, and helped make the franchise/city relevant.

He'll eventually be in the rafters.

dankrutka
01-13-2019, 08:20 PM
As of now, I'd predict the following players are getting jerseys retired:

- Nick
- Russ
- Steven Adams
- PG
- KD
- Kendrick Perkins' screens
- Deonte Burton
- Jeremy Lamb's naps
- Abdul Nader's last few games
- Jerami Grant's dunks

Okay, the last few were a joke. I have no problem with Collison getting his jersey retired. There are very few players who stick with a franchise for their entire career, including the first decade of a team's existence. His stats aren't worthy, but it's a symbolic tribute to a dedicated role player. Beyond a jersey retirement, Russ is going to get the damn city named after him before he's done. I could see PG getting his jersey retired if he stays beyond this contract. Steven Adams is a good candidate too. As long as KD doesn't burn more bridges, I think he'll get his jersey retired eventually.

Anonymous.
01-14-2019, 08:29 AM
I don't think the organization that gave KD's number to a 2-way player right after he went full snake has any plans to retire #35. I would give it a long shot in the very distant future. Despite the professional appearance, I get a massive pettiness vibe from the Thunder organization.

Thomas Vu
01-14-2019, 10:15 AM
It'd be something else if PG got his jersey retired before KD

Mike_M
01-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Legacy is just below winning when it comes to Sam Presti's priorities as a GM. Nick Collison checks all the boxes for Sam Presti. Plus I feel like he will be in high demand for coaching, commentary, etc. and Sam wants to make sure the OKC brand stays attached to him.

If he wasn't confident that Russ was going to stay with OKC to the end, I don't think he'd be doing this so soon. But with Russ fairly secure as the next jersey to go up, I don't think there's any issue really. Also, I don't know that a Nick Collison retirement ceremony will mean nearly as much in 5-10 years as it would right now.

I do think Nick should be the cutoff for role players having their jersey retired. They should create a different way to honor guys like Steven Adams and the like should they not be HOFers.

Mike_M
01-14-2019, 10:47 AM
It'd be something else if PG got his jersey retired before KD

If this Thunder squad wins a championship, I think chances of KD's jersey being retired become pretty slim. It's becoming fairly clear that he didn't really enjoy his time in OKC. He trashed Billy and his teammates on Instagram and had a fairly public beef with Russ.

Especially if the guy continues to win rings with Golden State, likely going through OKC to do that, it will be super awkward to put his jersey up in our rafters.

Dob Hooligan
01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Nick Collison represents everything Oklahoma City would like to see in a player. Image wise. I think it is good fortune for him that he is in the right place at the right time to be considered for this. If we had a team for 30 years I don't think Collison's contributions would have the same impact. But, I read where the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's number. Can't really figure that one out.

I think KD will return to the Thunder around age 35 and will play his last 2 seasons here. He will retire as a member of the Thunder. His number will be retired by the Thunder, but it will be at least 3 years after Russell Westbrook has his number retired. Russ will get the statue. KD will not get a statue in OKC.

Laramie
01-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Time may be more of an element if KD's jersey is ever retired in OKC.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/large960_blur-3daaa2b8c7499a2b473589b6456ce8af.jpg
Mamma's boy and/or traitor?

He tore his draws (showed his ass) with the Thunder when he jumped ship for GSW. If he was willing to do all the things he does now with GSW (shot blocking, 3's, blocking out, assists), Thunder would have several championships under their belt.

Just don't know what to think of Durant; makes me suspect of many things after he chose to sign with the Warriors. Sure, we appreciate the charitable investments in our city, his devotion to family (Mama Durant-Pratt being an All Star). His betrayal in jumping ship--didn't consult with his bro, Westbrook; just up and went AWOL.

Rumors of the Nutcracker (Draymond Green) being invited for a sleepover at Durant's pad on The Hill during the playoffs; someone persuaded KD that he had to move to a bigger market to win an NBA championship--so did he chose that route.

Mike_M
01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Time may be more of an element if KD's jersey is ever retired in OKC.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/large960_blur-3daaa2b8c7499a2b473589b6456ce8af.jpg
Mamma's boy and/or traitor?

He tore his draws (showed his ass) with the Thunder when he jumped ship for GSW. If he was willing to do all the things he does now with GSW (shot blocking, 3's, blocking out, assists), Thunder would have several championships under their belt.

Just don't know what to think of Durant; makes me suspect of many things after he chose to sign with the Warriors. Sure, we appreciate the charitable investments in our city, his devotion to family (Mama Durant-Pratt being an All Star). His betrayal in jumping ship--didn't consult with his bro, Westbrook; just up and went AWOL.

Rumors of the Nutcracker (Draymond Green) being invited for a sleepover at Durant's pad on The Hill during the playoffs; someone persuaded KD that he had to move to a bigger market to win an NBA championship--so did he chose that route.

Even with all that happening, if he had just gone to Golden State and thanked OKC, I think time would've healed those wounds. He's really just handled this so poorly. He's said every wrong thing at every wrong time and acted like a giant baby for the last 2 years. LeBron gave up the villain role once he got that first championship in Miami. KD has a chance to three-peat and is beefin' with his own teammates. Anytime he talks about OKC, it's so awkward and rehearsed. I feel like a jersey retirement in OKC would be super cringe-worthy.

dcsooner
01-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Thought this is a Nick Collison thread. And simply put, placing Nick Collison (a average/career role player) Jersey in the rafters on par with great transformational players is IMO unwarranted. Good guy who came around to embracing the Thunder but has mediocre career stats. Bad move

d-usa
01-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Maybe they care about off-court “stats”’ as well?

Bellaboo
01-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Thought this is a Nick Collison thread. And simply put, placing Nick Collison (a average/career role player) Jersey in the rafters on par with great transformational players is IMO unwarranted. Good guy who came around to embracing the Thunder but has mediocre career stats. Bad move

Go read what Popovich said about this move by the Thunder - You might then see the light.

OKC Guy
01-14-2019, 03:57 PM

I disagree with you on this.

Who else is in “our” rafters? Nick will be first one.

Some of larger markets will have mega jerseys since most big time talent went big city. OKC will never have too many jerseys to retire over the years.

Nick is a great pick and his selfless play was on display every night. He was nicknamed “bloody Nick” for all the hard charges he absorbed.

In fact most fans will say he never had the talent of other stars so he had to work harder every day to contribute positively to team. Its been said that every team needs a “blue collar” Nick. Nobody worked harder on the court either. He was always focused in game and flow and ready for everything.

He does represent OKC and the state greatly as that blue collar guy. I’m proud they picked his jersey to retire.

Laramie
01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Go read what Popovich said about this move by the Thunder - You might then see the light.

With the news of the team retiring the No. 4 in his honor, San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich had some rather nice things to say about Collison prior to the matchup against the Thunder Saturday night.

Thank you, Bellaboo

“He was a wonderful player, a great teammate and one of the ultimate role players,” Popovich said. “No matter what the coaches asked him to do, he did it. He competed night after night after night; always made his teams better. I’m glad they are retiring his jersey, that’s pretty classy. Good for him.”

Popovich says it's 'classy' the Thunder are retiring Collison's number: https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/12/gregg-popovich-nick-collison-number-retirement-oklahoma-city-thunder/

dankrutka
01-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Nick Collison represents everything Oklahoma City would like to see in a player. Image wise.

This actually got me thinking a little bit. Nick did everything you want a role player to do for the team, but what did he do off the court or in the community? Maybe he was involved in community stuff that I don't remember, but I always remember players like Thabo and Serge and Enes and (even if we don't like it) KD and today Patrick Patterson (movie events) and Russ (reading rooms) being a lot more involved in the community. I like that Collison was a quiet, hustle guy, but what image did Collison convey? Is it just about basketball or more? I think it's just basketball. He's OKC's Udonis Haslem. He tried hard at basketball, but once the season was done, Nick seems pretty private and was usually on the first flight out of town, right? And that's fine, it's not a criticism. I just see Collison more as Mr. Thunder than Mr. OKC. Just a thought.

dankrutka
01-14-2019, 10:41 PM
I disagree with you on this.

Who else is in “our” rafters? Nick will be first one.

Some of larger markets will have mega jerseys since most big time talent went big city. OKC will never have too many jerseys to retire over the years.

Nick is a great pick and his selfless play was on display every night. He was nicknamed “bloody Nick” for all the hard charges he absorbed.

In fact most fans will say he never had the talent of other stars so he had to work harder every day to contribute positively to team. Its been said that every team needs a “blue collar” Nick. Nobody worked harder on the court either. He was always focused in game and flow and ready for everything.

He does represent OKC and the state greatly as that blue collar guy. I’m proud they picked his jersey to retire.

People tend to forget Nick was uber talented. He was a high school All-American, star at Kansas, and a lottery pick. I actually think, for the Thunder, your description fits Kendrick Perkins a lot better. How in the heck did that guy stay in the NBA after his knee injury? Of course, Perk doesn't have the longevity of Collison so I get why he's getting his jersey retired. But Nick was definitely a selfless player and a great Thunderman.

Thomas Vu
01-15-2019, 07:14 AM
I'm glad I"m not the only one who thought of the Heat straight away. Hell, they even retire jerseys of people that weren't on their team or even the same sport for that matter.

Minor sidebar: Who plays with the number 4 anyway? Could be a safe move to retire that number too.

Jake
01-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Collison didn't even live in OKC in the off-season and was critical of the teams move to OKC in the first place. He reportedly wasn't exactly a big fan of the city itself either. Which is fine, he's allowed to think whatever he wants! He was an important part of the team during his tenure here and he played hard, so I think it's a nice gesture that his number is getting retired.

But I agree with Dan that Collison being known as an integral part of the city/community is a bit far since a lot of other past players were more involved than he was.

Bellaboo
01-15-2019, 04:39 PM
On my car I happen to have Thunder tag - THD - 0004. This series is the second generation of Thunder plates.

Mike_M
01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Collison didn't even live in OKC in the off-season and was critical of the teams move to OKC in the first place. He reportedly wasn't exactly a big fan of the city itself either. Which is fine, he's allowed to think whatever he wants! He was an important part of the team during his tenure here and he played hard, so I think it's a nice gesture that his number is getting retired.

But I agree with Dan that Collison being known as an integral part of the city/community is a bit far since a lot of other past players were more involved than he was.

The only report of Collison not liking OKC was from Jim Traber wildly overreacting to a tweet about Oklahoma weather (in August!). Collison even called into the station to clear things up. You'll notice that the Thunder don't play nice with the Sports Animal. I'd bet it's likely because of that.

Bellaboo
01-16-2019, 03:51 PM
The only report of Collison not liking OKC was from Jim Traber wildly overreacting to a tweet about Oklahoma weather (in August!). Collison even called into the station to clear things up. You'll notice that the Thunder don't play nice with the Sports Animal. I'd bet it's likely because of that.

I remember this. He said it was hotter than he was used to in Seattle, but that's how summers are in the South, end of story.

Mike_M
01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
I remember this. He said it was hotter than he was used to in Seattle, but that's how summers are in the South, end of story.

Exactly, and it was literally the month that they moved from Seattle. Not many people who could fly from 100+ degree weather in Oklahoma to a perfect 75 in upstate Washington and not at least notice the insane difference. I assume the team told Nick to call and clear things up with their new radio partner, but caveman Traber just couldn't let it go. It was pretty embarrassing.