View Full Version : Question for OKC folks with non-traditional phone service and 911 support...

SoonerDave
01-03-2019, 09:02 AM
This may be a bit of a narrow question, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway...

I've got a Google voice phone setup with an third-party E911 provider. I've tested everything from the provider's end and the E911 service appears to be provisioned correctly and ready to go, but I've never had a way of actually testing it with the city without making essentially a bogus 911 call, which I obviously don't want to do.

Given the expansion of non-traditional phone service, I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of whether the city has a means where you could arrange a test 911 call to ensure they would receive the call properly and with the correct information? My research indicates that some cities will allow this if you contact them in advance to arrange it, but I haven't been able to find any such info re OKC emergency services....thought maybe someone here would know.

Thanks!

stile99
01-03-2019, 09:58 AM
I've had no reason to make a test call to 911 with Ooma, but the real ones I've made have no issue whatsoever.

That said, this might prove useful.

https://www.911.gov/frequently_asked_questions.html

How do I place a "test" call to make sure 911 works for me?

Test calls confirm that your local 911 service can receive your 911 call and has the correct location information. Test calls can be scheduled by contacting your local 911 call center via its non-emergency phone number.

To find the non-emergency, 10-digit phone number for your local 911 call center, conduct an internet search for the non-emergency number of the local law enforcement agency. When you speak with law enforcement staff, explain that you do not have an emergency but would like to request the local 911 call center’s non-emergency 10-digit number.

CloudDeckMedia
01-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Contact the 911 Comm Center on their non-emergency number, 297-2121. (Today might not be the best day due to weather.) BTW, when you call 911 from your cellphone, the call-taker sees your location on a map, plus your name, phone number and cell provider. It’s very accurate but not as good as a landline.
https://www.okc.gov/departments/police/about-us/police-support-units

CloudDeckMedia
01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
BTW, the OKC 911 Communications Center is preparing to roll out a text messaging option, one of the first in the US. I don’t know the latest projected date that it will go live. Good for us!

SoonerDave
01-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Contact the 911 Comm Center on their non-emergency number, 297-2121. (Today might not be the best day due to weather.) BTW, when you call 911 from your cellphone, the call-taker sees your location on a map, plus your name, phone number and cell provider. It’s very accurate but not as good as a landline.
https://www.okc.gov/departments/police/about-us/police-support-units

Great information. Thanks. Agreed that today would not be the ideal day for a test :)