View Full Version : Downtown Tonight

rjstone208
12-15-2018, 09:37 PM
My wife and I drove all through Bricktown, downtown, uptown and all over looking at lights and stuff happening. The streets were packed with folks going to events and enjoying the activities. Thought about riding a streetcar but they were packed. Really dynamic feel to the City. Great vibes. However we noticed one thing. Absolute darkness on most city streets. People actually had flashlights out, I guess trying to feel their way around. Drove north on Robinson from Reno and not a streetlight one until around 4th and they were pretty feeble. Great environment for muggers and whatever. We live in Norman so not a council person to complaint to about this. Downtown as a whole was dark. Buildings were dark with few exceptions. Love going to the area but no way are we walking around after dark.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
12-15-2018, 10:14 PM
My wife and I drove all through Bricktown, downtown, uptown and all over looking at lights and stuff happening. The streets were packed with folks going to events and enjoying the activities. Thought about riding a streetcar but they were packed. Really dynamic feel to the City. Great vibes. However we noticed one thing. Absolute darkness on most city streets. People actually had flashlights out, I guess trying to feel their way around. Drove north on Robinson from Reno and not a streetlight one until around 4th and they were pretty feeble. Great environment for muggers and whatever. We live in Norman so not a council person to complaint to about this. Downtown as a whole was dark. Buildings were dark with few exceptions. Love going to the area but no way are we walking around after dark.

Thanks for the feedback on our city.

So, the general vibe is positive.

OKCbyTRANSFER
12-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Are most of these areas not new P180 sections with new lights, and so much for someone checking on these. I've complained about Walker Ave lights and improvement.

okatty
12-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I am sure the lighting could be improved, but we walk around downtown at night all the time without any issues.

kukblue1
12-15-2018, 10:34 PM
I thought the same thing when I walked from automobile alley street car stop the the Law school stop 2 blocks away. Very dark on 7th street.

pw405
12-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Are we sure this isn't due to the tweakers stealing all the copper wires? I know that's why the majority of the highways near downtown are dark, so it isn't a stretch to assume that they also stole city street lights.

Zuplar
12-16-2018, 09:13 AM
I’ve been downtown the past 3 nights and noticed tons of streetlights still out. This is clearly still an issue that needs to be handled.

It’s not limited to just downtown though. Driving down May between Reno and SW 15th and half the streetlights over the river are out. Seems like there isn’t a street I go down in okc where there aren’t lights out.

CloudDeckMedia
12-16-2018, 09:33 AM
One or two violent crimes in dark areas could completely reverse all of this goodness. The city, utility companies and private property owners need to step up and repair these lights, and keep them repaired.

PaddyShack
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Its not just violent crimes due to the darkness. My wife and I were walking from Midtown over to AA for supper at Cultivar and it was pretty difficult walking along the sidewalk. One has to step down and up from many curbs along the sidewalks which for us wasn't a problem, even though we were pushing a stroller, but for someone who is impaired in one way or another could easily get hit by a car or just injured from a poorly placed step. Plus it is just not inviting to tourists to walk down dark streets.