View Full Version : Major League Baseball

Laramie
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Former Oklahoma City based Globe Life (Chase Tower) which has expanded its base & brand now headquartered in McKinney, Texas; has obtained naming rights for the new Texas Rangers' ballpark.

Globe Life Field

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.krldfm.radio.com/styles/nts_image_cover_tall_775x425/s3/Globe%20life%20Field%207.jpg?itok=a2bzspC2&c=97f0233dfaa45b470ffc71304eb6c810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hReVzdm1-B4

Rangers to build $1B stadium with retractable roof, to open in 2021: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/15631135/texas-rangers-plan-build-1-billion-stadium-retractable-roof-open-2021

shawnw
12-03-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm sure it will be nice, but I still can't believe they're replacing a 27 year old stadium (by the time the new one opens) that seems in great shape still.

OKCretro
12-04-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm sure it will be nice, but I still can't believe they're replacing a 27 year old stadium (by the time the new one opens) that seems in great shape still.

Yea kind of surprising but i get it, they really needed a dome or retractable roof in dallas. With the roof they can play day games on getaway days which is needed now with the travel logistics involved.

TheSteveHunt
12-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Another massive tax-payer swindle in Arlington, and still no public transit! Amazing. I remember
riding on the Subway from S Boston to Fenway, freaking amazing experience.....crazy fans having
good times. Y'all missin' out Ranger fans!

anyway, good take over @ Field of Schemes: Rangers unveil stadium model to show how cool retractable roof will look from passing airplanes (http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2018/11/28/14331/rangers-unveil-stadium-model-to-show-how-cool-retractable-roof-will-look-from-passing-airplanes/)

mugofbeer
12-04-2018, 10:09 AM
You are correct there is really nothing wrong with the current baseball stadium except that it is outside and it prevents the Rangers from playing daytime games for a large portion of the summer. Ranger management wants to be able to do this and have admitted to borrowing design from the Houston stadium. I used to be a season ticket holder there and can admit to leaving my seat a couple of times very early in the game because it was 105 and just too boiling hot. I also remember a series after a long dry spell was broken by rain and being subjected to a deluge of millions of flying and falling crickets that were swarming over the stadium after dark. It was horrible. People in the upper decks who remained had umbrellas and were intentionally sitting away from the lights. This is one case where I support an indoor stadium.

As far as financing, the citizens voted approval to help pay for the new stadium but the only part the citizens will be required to pay is a half cent sales tax increase. The rest is from hotel/motel and car rental taxes. The vast majority of this will, of course be paid for by tourists. Lastly, bonds used to help pay for ATT stadium will be refinanced and reissued which costs the citizens minimal amounts.

shawnw
12-04-2018, 03:34 PM
they should have built the original thing with adding a roof later or something. So short sighted.

Dob Hooligan
12-04-2018, 05:58 PM
they should have built the original thing with adding a roof later or something. So short sighted.

How topical: IIRC George W. Bush was hired to be Texas Rangers team president for the expressed purpose of getting the Ballpark at Arlington approved and built. I think he achieved all performance goals and was paid accordingly.

mugofbeer
12-04-2018, 11:18 PM

That type of retro-throwback baseball only stadium was the "in" thing back then and are still loved in places like Denver where climate isn't an issue. Old Arlington is still a beautiful, functional park but they want to be able to play day games June thru Sept which isn't wise when it's 108 out. Day games in 1995 weren't desired as much as now with them being preferred by players before they depart for a road trip. It wasn't short-sightedness but a change in game preference.
If the Rangers make it in the playoffs, they sometimes have to play day games. In Sept, it can still hit the high 90s but rain can be frequent so to close a roof would be nice.
Finally, grass technology is now better for indoor stadiums now.

MagzOK
12-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Having an indoor stadium will allow me and my family more opportunities throughout the summer to catch games. Day games are terrible during the summer, but it's also no fun to go to a game when even at night conditions at 10PM can still be in the upper 90s with no wind. The stadium blocks out a lot of any wind that may be blowing outside. I think having a better environment will bring more ticket sales being in this part of the country.

bluedogok
12-05-2018, 05:50 PM
We went to games in Houston, never did go to the Ballpark in Arlington and they were building it when I moved from Dallas back to OKC. I went to many games at the old Turnpike Stadium. I did a tour at the ballpark close to completion, it was absolutely miserable in there in comparison to the old stadium. No air movement in the seating area. One of the main reasons why we would drive to games in Houston rather than Dallas from Austin.

My office is a block from Coors Field, games are nice there.

borchard
05-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Havent been to the Ballpark in many years, but i DO remember it being miserably hot in the lower bowl

mugofbeer
05-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Its like the first 2-3 games now at OU. Miserably hot for day games. I saw they moved OUs opening game to Sunday nite and am very happy about it.The

gopokes88
05-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Anybody in OKC pushing to try and get OKC on the list? It's a snowball's chance in hell but a visit would be a good thing perception wise.

https://twitter.com/mickakers/status/1397032740617338883?s=20

aDark
05-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Anybody in OKC pushing to try and get OKC on the list? It's a snowball's chance in hell but a visit would be a good thing perception wise.

This link is dead. Almost as dead as MLB. ;)

Laramie
05-25-2021, 11:04 AM

That snowball would melt in purgatory.

We (OKC) don't have the corporate base to support major league baseball along with NBA; marginal for fan support even though you would also draw from Tulsa, Wichita, Wichita Falls-Lawton and Fort Smith, but you would have some potential for great rivalries with St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Houston & Dallas. As to getting a stadium built, we have tremendous stadium potential.

If you could build a venue between OKC and TUL (which should be considered one TV market), that would be a good feasibility study for a state supported team than MLB in either of our most populous cities.

Portland is big on MLS, they ditched AAA-baseball in favor of MLS. The Rose City would be marginal.

Cities being considered for Major League Baseball need at least 2 million MSA if there are other major franchises in the area like NBA, NHL and NFL.

San Antonio-Austin (IMO) would be better suited for the A's. They have the billionaire pool & corporate base who could support MLB in San Antonio-Austin where there's a better chance for long-term survival. San Antonio and Austin are 80 miles apart; put a venue in between, you have a 40 mile stretch.

Trouble with putting another MLB franchise in Texas is Dallas & Houston wants that market all to themselves--Just like the NBA Dallas Mavericks wanted all of Oklahoma for its market.

San Antonio (2,550,960)-Austin (2,227,083) market boasts close to 5 million with a good retirement base; build a twin-stadium complex between both cities and you could support MLB & NFL.

MLB hasn't done anything significant to speed up the game. Sure it's America's past time; however time continues to past.

amocore
05-25-2021, 11:37 AM
Few mores years, some renovations and expansion and our current Bricktown ballpark will be fine to get a MLB team. You wont need to have more than 20.000 seats in a MLB ballpark when you see the how things go for Baseball in general.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2021, 12:24 PM
Few mores years, some renovations and expansion and our current Bricktown ballpark will be fine to get a MLB team. You wont need to have more than 20.000 seats in a MLB ballpark when you see the how things go for Baseball in general.

no and you couldn't be more wrong

gopokes88
05-25-2021, 12:38 PM

Try this one?

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/baseball/report-oakland-as-brass-to-visit-portland-next-month-2362383/

Laramie
05-25-2021, 12:50 PM

It would be very difficult to expand Bricktown Ballpark to meet MLB minimum requirements with prime seats. You would be better off investing $500 million thru MAPS 5 or special bond-sales tax election building a new 40k park equipped for baseball, football and soccer.

One thing you could consider is delay building the Multipurpose MAPS 4 Stadium ($37 million) for upgrading to a multi-use facility that could involve a private-public partnership supported stadium funded thru naming-rights to lure MLS with plenty of room for baseball and football.

Tropicana Stadium seats 31,042 in St. Petersburg, it's the smallest MLB venue--it's also an indoor stadium, considered not a long-term solution to keep MLB in the Tampa Bay area.

WheelerD Guy
05-25-2021, 02:10 PM

You’re right about that, my friend!

borchard
05-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Was there any attempt to get OKC to host the Blue Jays until Canada reopens the border? I saw that they are playing in AZ? FLA? Just curious

amocore
05-25-2021, 02:44 PM
You can not have multi use stadium for Baseball. It did not work. Football and soccer okay but baseball, no.

After building a baseball stadium for MLB with more than 35,000 seats is pure utopia. The one the MLB crew lives in.

Laramie
05-25-2021, 04:31 PM
You can not have multi use stadium for Baseball. It did not work. Football and soccer okay but baseball, no.

After building a baseball stadium for MLB with more than 35,000 seats is pure utopia. The one the MLB crew lives in.

Not sure what is meant by your quote. As well as fans thinking the NBA being a pipe dream for Oklahoma City when we opened The Peake back in 2002. We know NBA & NHL are no where near the level of NFL & MLB.

Globe Life Field was home to the XFL Dallas Renegades, some collegiate football and MLB. Respect the fact that Globe Life Field is a baseball specific stadium.

Southsider2
05-25-2021, 05:28 PM
Hmm from a revenue standpoint the MLB is #2 behind the NFL. The sheer amount of games gives a boost but for a dying league, the revenue is there. I'm a biased former baseball player but I would love the MLB here and wouldn't blink purchasing season tickets. Not saying the MLB would do well here but I personally would love it. I find it much more convenient to mingle with clients at baseball games than basketball/football.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2021, 05:36 PM
Hmm from a revenue standpoint the MLB is #2 behind the NFL. The sheer amount of games gives a boost but for a dying league, the revenue is there. I'm a biased former baseball player but I would love the MLB here and wouldn't blink purchasing season tickets. Not saying the MLB would do well here but I personally would love it. I find it much more convenient to mingle with clients at baseball games than basketball/football.

and baseball in person attendance is not far off their all time high levels ... baseball just doesn't have the national appeal of the NFL but it is huge in the markets that it is in

PoliSciGuy
05-25-2021, 05:47 PM
Yeah baseball is a huge regional sport, just not much of a national one.

Now whether or not an OKC team could get 35-40k to show up on a nightly basis when they're winning, could be a bit of a stretch. Also, any stadium here would almost have to be domed given our heat, which increases either the public money outlays (please no) or increases the cost of private funding.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2021, 05:48 PM
Yeah baseball is a huge regional sport, just not much of a national one.

Now whether or not an OKC team could get 35-40k to show up on a nightly basis when they're winning, could be a bit of a stretch. Also, any stadium here would almost have to be domed given our heat, which increases either the public money outlays (please no) or increases the cost of private funding.

yep ..

also as much as people want to cheer the nba on the national level .. ... really it gets about the same ratings as MLB for the playoffs (sometimes baseball wins)

Southsider2
05-25-2021, 05:59 PM
Agree w you Boulder. I think when you look at the rumored relocation spots for the A's we're just not quite on the same level yet. I think Vegas, Portland, Montreal, and Nashville are all superior baseball markets. I actually think a team in Nashville would kill and they have a group that's highly motivated to land a team.

mugofbeer
05-25-2021, 06:51 PM
You’re right about that, my friend!

The 68.5 million who attended MLB in 2019 and tens of millions more that watched games on TV would say otherwise. The only thing about baseball that is dying is radio but there are even people who listen while doing other things.

mugofbeer
05-25-2021, 06:52 PM
Agree w you Boulder. I think when you look at the rumored relocation spots for the A's we're just not quite on the same level yet. I think Vegas, Portland, Montreal, and Nashville are all superior baseball markets. I actually think a team in Nashville would kill and they have a group that's highly motivated to land a team.

I think OKC would have a much better chance of NFL.

PoliSciGuy
05-25-2021, 06:57 PM
Yeah Charlotte, Vegas, Nashville, Vancouver, Portland all have a leg up. I'm a huge baseball fan but I just don't see OKC pulling in an MLB team without a local billionaire basically doing it single-handed. Enjoy the AAA Dodgers, the feeder team for one of the best teams in the majors and a pretty darned good facility.

I think OKC has a better chance at the NHL and MLS as their next professional team in the short term.

Jersey Boss
05-25-2021, 07:01 PM
^ Agree with this. Nothing wrong with AAA. I doubt MLB has 10 buck Tuesday.

HOT ROD
06-04-2021, 05:05 PM
I think OKC should go after MLS next and then NFL for the next major league franchises. We obviously could go after the MLS as part of the new MAPS stadium and then in 10 or so years go after the NFL. That to me would be the natural maturity of OKC as a major league market and likely the perfect amount and type of sports OKC and it's market will support.

AAA baseball and the return of AAA Hockey would complete the circuit making a well rounded sports city that once was just OU and (to a much lesser extent) OSU 15ish-years ago.

Dob Hooligan
06-04-2021, 05:51 PM
I think OKC should go after MLS next and then NFL for the next major league franchises. We obviously could go after the MLS as part of the new MAPS stadium and then in 10 or so years go after the NFL. That to me would be the natural maturity of OKC as a major league market and likely the perfect amount and type of sports OKC and it's market will support.

AAA baseball and the return of AAA Hockey would complete the circuit making a well rounded sports city that once was just OU and (to a much lesser extent) OSU 15ish-years ago.

I think MLS has a pretty well defined "pathway to the bigs" as it were, and OKC is between number 36 and 40 IIRC. I think the Funk group has been working carefully for about 10 years to that end, but it is a long and expensive process.

I would suggest that OU football is a "major league" football franchise today. I think it has greater brand recognition and enterprise value that a half dozen NFL teams.

Much like Columbus Ohio with The Ohio State Buckeyes and the Blue Jackets NHL team; OKC has the Thunder and OU football that make us a 2 league city.

SEMIweather
06-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Yeah, OKC is never getting an NFL team with OU football such a big deal in the state. MLS is maaaaaybe possible as I expect that they'll eventually expand to 40 teams, but the Energy need to get their act together, as the days of drawing 5k/game to Taft are long gone, they're lucky to get more than 2.5k these days. It's not hopeless though, the key will be capitalize on the momentum that happens whenever the MAPS 4 stadium gets built.

Laramie
06-11-2021, 03:22 PM
What would it take to lure the Oakland A's to Oklahoma City IF we decided to bring MLB to our community:

Oklahoma Athletics

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0256/5406/7282/products/1518_As_Athletics_Decal_500_3e9a3d21-ed65-4805-a0bd-ae25f221ef91_500x.jpg?v=1570913415
Rivals: Texas, Colorado, Kansas City, Houston & St. Louis.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark could be expanded to be used as a temporary home with 20,566 maximum seating capacity adding 7,500 seats in the outfield and removing the tarps on the current 13,066 venue. Parking and shuttle we could accommodate.

Oklahoma City would need to build a new 40,000 plus seat facility on city owned land extending MAPS 4 (2028) to pay for a new $600 million (bare bones) minimum) facility that could open in 2030.

In 2030, Oklahoma population will exceed 4 million, our metro area projected 1.6 million, Urban City Population 750,000, County 821,230 at the current growth rate. These demographics are similar to Milwaukee's current numbers--smallest MLB market.

Question: Would MLB impact and retain resident population, although the game itself isn't changing. Could our state support both MLB & NBA...

Oklahoma City/Tulsa would probably be the smallest market TV and population wise which would include state's two largest markets, currently there are 755,340 OKC and 552,980 TUL; represent 1,308,280 current TV households Nielsen https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2021/ Population Metro OKC 1,425,375/Tulsa Metro 1,006,411 Combined total 2,431,786. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Ideally you need 1 million per major sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL).

As much as I personally would like to see MLB in OKC which I would support; we don't have the corporate base and this would be a gamble that could impact both NBA and MLB if the Oakland A's were to relocate as early as 2022-23 season using Bricktown as a temporary home.

Laramie
06-16-2021, 02:54 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yRwNUxwDKm0XdV7LUV9nK5MMIuw=/0x0:5184x3888/920x613/filters:focal(1398x655:2226x1483):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/69324362/usa_today_15006747.0.jpg

It's neat that our city is being mentioned as a possible relocation site for the Oakland Athletics.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-FCLkxWJf5ReIdR9LWfEl2JQZus=/0x0:1080x1350/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1080x1350):format(webp):no_upsca le()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22530814/_National_2_51421.jpg

Link: https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2021/5/21/22447457/sb-nation-reacts-looking-at-the-athletics-potential-relocation

OKCDrummer77
06-16-2021, 02:57 PM
It's neat that our city is being mentioned as a possilble relocation site for the Oakland Athletics.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-FCLkxWJf5ReIdR9LWfEl2JQZus=/0x0:1080x1350/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1080x1350):format(webp):no_upsca le()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22530814/_National_2_51421.jpg

Link: https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2021/5/21/22447457/sb-nation-reacts-looking-at-the-athletics-potential-relocation

I read that last line like a Family Feud question: "Top four answers are on the board. We surveyed 100 people. If the Oakland A's moved somewhere..."

Laramie
06-16-2021, 05:22 PM
I read that last line like a Family Feud question: "Top four answers are on the board. We surveyed 100 people. If the Oakland A's moved somewhere..."

OKC only has 1.4 million in our metro area (includes Norman), 3.97 million in our state (69,899 square miles land area); however we are poised for future growth. An MLB team would be a strain on our city which hasn't reached 2 million in our MSA and our corporate base.

Portland completely reconfigured its largest multipurpose venue (Providence Park) for MLS Soccer and dropped AAA baseball. With 2.5 million MSA, Portland appears ripe for the Oakland A's. Portland supports the NBA Portland Trailblazers and the MLS Portland Timbers.

The Rose City has a good retirement base. Does Portland want MLB is the unknown variable. This city IMO should be getting prepped for the NFL. You have two major universities Oregon State (Corvallis) & Oregon (Eugene) some 80 - 105 miles away. The State of Oregon boast 4.27 million (98,381 square miles land area).

mugofbeer
06-16-2021, 07:46 PM
I wonder if, to get a team, a retractible dome would be necessary for beginning and end of year? Are they willing to pony up that much for sports when there are homeless to feed and house?

BoulderSooner
06-17-2021, 06:12 AM
Does Portland want MLB is the unknown variable. .

it is not "unknown" the A's have already visited portland .. and they have a stadium plan in the works

Laramie
06-17-2021, 10:29 AM
it is not "unknown" the A's have already visited portland .. and they have a stadium plan in the works

Great news. BTW do you have a copy or a link to those plans...

Laramie
06-17-2021, 10:32 AM
Here's a link of a rendering that is most recent on Portland MLB Stadium plans: https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/04/28/its-mlb-expansion-time-again-with-another-portland-ballpark-plan-unveiled/

Not only are they talking about the relocation of the Oakland A's and a new home for the Rays, there are further talk of expansion of MLB to two more teams reaching 32 franchises.

You're going to hear more talk involving cities like Brooklyn (NBA), Nashville (NFL, NHL), Charlotte (NFL, NBA), Las Vegas (NFL, NHL), Indianapolis (NFL, NBA), Montreal and some markets under 2 million MSA like Louisville (1,268,993), Memphis (1,348,678), Oklahoma City (1,425,375) & Raleigh (1,420,376).

Louisville would be the favorite among small markets because Memphis, Oklahoma City have existing NBA franchises & Raleigh (NHL).

kukblue1
06-18-2021, 12:18 PM
I'm not trying to trigger anyone here but I will point out that Portland right now is a mess of a city with the riots and protest. Crime is through the roof. Until things get cleaned up Portland might be a hard sale. I know other cities have crime too but Portland is a mess right now.

Brett
06-18-2021, 01:49 PM
Could Salt Lake City, UT be an option for the A's relocation?

BoulderSooner
06-18-2021, 01:53 PM
Great news. BTW do you have a copy or a link to those plans...

here is there official website

https://portlanddiamondproject.com/

Mississippi Blues
06-18-2021, 03:29 PM
I'm not trying to trigger anyone here but I will point out that Portland right now is a mess of a city with the riots and protest. Crime is through the roof. Until things get cleaned up Portland might be a hard sale. I know other cities have crime too but Portland is a mess right now.

This would obviously have been true at one point within the last year, but Portland is by all means back to “normal” right now. It might seem like a mess if places like Oklahoma City or Indianapolis or Nashville are your main reference point for normal but as far as Portland (really the entire west coast) goes, things are fairly routine right now. Either way, I don’t think any of that stuff is of concern to the MLB or the PDP group. There are some voices in the local media that would prefer the PDP project be put on the back burner for now to focus on more looming issues and there isn’t any major political voices looking to expedite the MLB to Portland, but from the aspect of it possibly missing out on the A’s over recent discourse, that really isn’t even in the discussion.

GoGators
06-18-2021, 03:56 PM
I don't understand the narrative that Portland is some dangerous place now. Portland's number of homicides doubled from 2018 to 2020 and OKC still has more homicides per year than Portland. Burglaries, robberies, assault, all higher in OKC than Portland in 2020. This has been the case for several years. If "crime" was going to keep the MLB out of a city it would scratch OKC off of any list well before Portland.

jedicurt
06-18-2021, 04:16 PM
I don't understand the narrative that Portland is some dangerous place now. Portland's number of homicides doubled from 2018 to 2020 and OKC still has more homicides per year than Portland. Burglaries, robberies, assault, all higher in OKC than Portland in 2020. This has been the case for several years. If "crime" was going to keep the MLB out of a city it would scratch OKC off of any list well before Portland.

because the narrative right now is that Portland is like Baghdad circa 2003.. narratives are often not true but still many people want to believe them

Mississippi Blues
06-18-2021, 09:33 PM
I would agree, it seems to go back to rhetoric mixed with unfamiliarity more than reality. It does also have a grittiness that can be off-putting if you aren’t acclimated with it but perception can be misleading.

Laramie
06-19-2021, 03:57 PM

You haven't heard the last of Oklahoma City being considered for MLB with potential 2 team expansion coming up post 2025; prior to MAPS 5 in 2028.

MLB in Oklahoma IMO would be less of a threat to the state's top 3 Division I football schools than the NFL. You could build an average major league baseball park stadium in the $750 million - $1 billion range in either one of Oklahoma's two major cities.

Oklahoma 69,899 miles, Population: 3.97 million - Oklahoma City-Tulsa market supports NBA. Combined MSA populations for OKC/TUL (2,431,786) Combined TV market represented 755,340 OKC and 552,980 TUL; represent 1,308,280 current TV households.

There are 3 Division I schools in Oklahoma playing football. Tulsa University is the smallest NCAA DI school.

Oregon 98,466 miles, Population: 4.27 million - Portland market support NBA, MLS. Portland MSA population 2,510,259 Portland's market represents 1,315,470 current TV Households.

There are 4 Division I schools in Oregon playing football.

dcsooner
06-19-2021, 04:23 PM

You haven't heard the last of Oklahoma City being considered for MLB with potential expansion coming up post 2025; prior to MAPS 5 in 2028.

MLB in Oklahoma IMO would be less of a threat to the state's top 3 Division I football schools than the NFL. You could build an average major league baseball park stadium in the $750 million - $1 billion range in either one of Oklahoma's two major cities.

Oklahoma 69,899 miles, Population: 3.97 million - Oklahoma City-Tulsa market supports NBA. Combined MSA populations for OKC/TUL (2,431,786) Combined TV market represented 755,340 OKC and 552,980 TUL; represent 1,308,280 current TV households.

There are 3 Division I schools in Oklahoma playing football. Tulsa University is the smallest NCAA DI school.

Oregon 98,466 miles, Population: 4.27 million - Portland market support NBA, MLS. Portland MSA population 2,510,259 Portland's market represents 1,315,470 current TV Households.

There are 4 Division I schools in Oregon playing football.

Disagree with this comparison. First, combining a city 90 miles away is IMO a stretch. Also, disposable income in Oklahoma I venture to guess lags behind Portland, but I could be wrong. Oklahoma has too many schools for the population which dilutes state dollars requiring both schools to depend too much on donor gifts. I do Agree baseball would do better than NFL which I think Oklahomas population cannot support, esp in conjunction with the NBA. just not enough money in Oklahoma

Laramie
06-19-2021, 08:26 PM
Disagree with this comparison. First, combining a city 90 miles away is IMO a stretch. Also, disposable income in Oklahoma I venture to guess lags behind Portland, but I could be wrong. Oklahoma has too many schools for the population which dilutes state dollars requiring both schools to depend too much on donor gifts. I do Agree baseball would do better than NFL which I think Oklahomas population cannot support, esp in conjunction with the NBA. just not enough money in Oklahoma

You make some good points; however, let's not dismiss the entertainment options you have in those cities. You have less entertainment & sight seeing options in Oklahoma than you do in Portland, Oregon where you have mountains and the Pacific Northwest.

That IMO is why people in Oklahoma would be willing to travel to either city to support MLB. And let's not forget the rivalries [Texas (DFW), Denver, Houston, Kansas City & St. Louis].

What IMO would be even be a better option for support would be to put a Ballpark Stadium in between Oklahoma City & Tulsa lessening the drive between both cities; 45 miles equal distance between both cities (75-80 miles per hour) would be a breeze drive. Then you could build up a reputable areas shared between both of Oklahoma's major MSA markets. Is there such disdain or dislike between both cities that you can figure out how sharing benefits both cities.

Are people willing to travel the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa or OKC or in between to watch Americas' past time--if time hasn't passed.

Financing, we know you can't depend on the State for anything; especially after the museum debacle.

You want Oklahoma to be able to have lower personal income taxes; start by continuing to lower the state personal income tax until you phase them out. The State's Quality Jobs Program is an asset. Stop with the competition between both cities when it comes to entertainment, attractions and luring corporations and businesses. Promote both cities and the enormous bodies of water you have in the state. Other attractions like the Tribal gaming casinos will fall in line.

Somebody please tell me why the Port of Catoosa & Port of Muskogee inland waterway canals haven't reaped benefits or reached capabilities after all these years...

Continue to strengthen the Quality Jobs Program until Oklahoma can build the type of business and corporate climate that attracts more businesses, Forbes 1,000 type companies where you build your universities, attract and retain talented individuals who what to maintain their roots in Oklahoma. Once we get on that path, there's no stopping our state.

dcsooner
06-19-2021, 09:51 PM
You make some good points; however, let's not dismiss the entertainment options you have in those cities. You have less entertainment & sight seeing options in Oklahoma than you do in Portland, Oregon where you have mountains and the Pacific Northwest.

That IMO is why people in Oklahoma would be willing to travel to either city to support MLB. And let's not forget the rivalries [Texas (DFW), Denver, Houston, Kansas City & St. Louis].

What IMO would be even be a better option for support would be to put a Ballpark Stadium in between Oklahoma City & Tulsa lessening the drive between both cities; 45 miles equal distance between both cities (75-80 miles per hour) would be a breeze drive. Then you could build up a reputable areas shared between both of Oklahoma's major MSA markets. Is there such disdain or dislike between both cities that you can figure out how sharing benefits both cities.

Are people willing to travel the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa or OKC or in between to watch Americas' past time--if time hasn't passed.

Financing, we know you can't depend on the State for anything; especially after the museum debacle.

You want Oklahoma to be able to have lower personal income taxes; start by continuing to lower the state personal income tax until you phase them out. The State's Quality Jobs Program is an asset. Stop with the competition between both cities when it comes to entertainment, attractions and luring corporations and businesses. Promote both cities and the enormous bodies of water you have in the state. Other attractions like the Tribal gaming casinos will fall in line.

Somebody please tell me why the Port of Catoosa & Port of Muskogee inland waterway canals haven't reaped benefits or reached capabilities after all these years...

Continue to strengthen the Quality Jobs Program until Oklahoma can build the type of business and corporate climate that attracts more businesses, Forbes 1,000 type companies where you build your universities, attract and retain talented individuals who what to maintain their roots in Oklahoma. Once we get on that path, there's no stopping our state.

Wow! We need a couple million more forward thinking Oklahomans like you. I could not agree more with you. Hopefully, others with vision and desire to move Oklahoma forward will join in the effort.

Laramie
06-20-2021, 12:52 PM
We're not quite ready for MLB.

However our city needs to look at the future with some kind of future multipurpose stadium where we invest the bear bones minimum $400 million next MAP 5 extension in 2028. Predict a MAPS 5, $1.2 billion 7 year package.

2030 Oklahoma City demographics: City-urban population 750,000, Metro population 1.6 million

https://tjthesportsgeek.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/sanjosegiantsstadium.jpg

Should we acquire an MLB or XFL franchise, major bowl classic, a 50,000 seat venue will be needed with the flexibility to reconfigure the stadium for baseball, soccer or collegiate football or add a retractable roof.

All the extra money making amenities, could be installed by an anchor tenant with Naming rights (negotiated). There will be future opportunities for MLB expansion or relocation.

amocore
06-21-2021, 08:10 AM
You can not have a baseball stadium which is multipurpose. It is atrocious for all the other sports. It was very common 40 years ago but everybody came back from that.

Laramie
06-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Globe Life Field, Arlington - Texas Rangers new home.

College Football

The 2021 Commander Classic between Army and Air Force is being scheduled for November 6, 2021 at Globe Life Field. It is the first time in the ballpark's history that a college football game is being played. The end zones are located at left field and at first base for the game. The 2022 edition is being scheduled for November 5, 2022 at Globe Life Field as well.