View Full Version : Lakeview Towers/Mid-Town Apartments

cloverstack
11-09-2018, 07:47 PM
This is the high-rise apartment building at 6001 N Brookline (near the Best Buy/Home Depot shopping center and Founders Tower).

Today I drove by and noticed almost no lights on in the building (the ones that were on were on the lower floors), and few or no cars parked there. In other words, it appears to be vacant.

The property manager/owner, VTT Management, still lists the building as one of their properties on their website. However, the website linked there appears to be down and the local phone number listed is disconnected.

I can't find any other information on what's going on with this particular building, although it's possible to have missed it. Might they be renovating it like with the Tiffany, or maybe there are financial troubles or something?

Mr. Blue Sky
11-10-2018, 07:47 PM
This is the high-rise apartment building at 6001 N Brookline (near the Best Buy/Home Depot shopping center and Founders Tower).

Today I drove by and noticed almost no lights on in the building (the ones that were on were on the lower floors), and few or no cars parked there. In other words, it appears to be vacant.

The property manager/owner, VTT Management, still lists the building as one of their properties on their website. However, the website linked there appears to be down and the local phone number listed is disconnected.

I can't find any other information on what's going on with this particular building, although it's possible to have missed it. Might they be renovating it like with the Tiffany, or maybe there are financial troubles or something?

Good question. My wife and I drove by recently and it is - vacant. No sign on the doors, nothing. I'm interested to hear what is happening as well.

Pete
11-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Yes, the complex has been closed since the middle of the summer. I took the photos below in early August.

I suspect a complete renovation but I can't get the owners to return my calls which is why I haven't posted about it.

It's pretty rough around the edges and overdue for a makeover ala the Tiffany. But no permits have been filed as of yet.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview080118a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakesview080118b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview080118c.jpg

Mr. Blue Sky
11-20-2018, 05:56 PM
This is just the weirdest thing. They are not saying anything about this. Lakeview Towers (Mid-Town Apts as of late) has been a fixture in NW Oklahoma City for many years. It is owned by VTT out of Boston. The owner, Vaios Theodorakos, is keeping things close to the vest. They have even disconnected their phone number, which they had for 58 continuous years!

Here is an ad from 1961. The phone is the same as is still listed - yet disconnected. How often do you see that?

http://www.vttmanagement.com/property-detail.php?property=4

BDP
11-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Here is an ad from 1961. The phone is the same as is still listed - yet disconnected. How often do you see that?

http://www.vttmanagement.com/property-detail.php?property=4

Fall Out shelter!

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Any news coming from anyone about this yet?
I’ve heard from a couple of different people that the Boston owner is not well liked by many in the area. Doesn’t respond to much of anything and never has apparently. Their web page talking about renovation has said that for a long time. The feel they already have done major renovations. Now, it stands empty for months and silence from the ownership? Could he demolish with a simple permit?

Pete
03-12-2019, 06:03 AM
I suspect they had some major problem that caused them to close. Why else throw people out of an almost full tower and then leave it closed for almost a year?

It hasn't been for sale and there have been zero permits for any sort of work.

Have no idea what is going on here.

mugofbeer
03-12-2019, 03:58 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into another FNB - type debacle where the "big city" owner is using the old apartment building out in "hicksville Oklahoma City" as a tax write off and will just leave it to topple over.

Rover
03-12-2019, 04:13 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into another FNB - type debacle where the "big city" owner is using the old apartment building out in "hicksville Oklahoma City" as a tax write off and will just leave it to topple over.
People don’t just lose millions of dollars so they can take it off on their taxes. They would have to be in the 100% tax bracket. There is no incentive to tear it down unless the land is very valuable...which it isn’t at that location.

Perhaps they ran into fatal structural problems or insurmountable environmental issues. If so, it may cost more to mitigate than it would be worth afterwards. Or maybe financing to remodel fell through. Any number of things are possible, and many can be unexpected.

Pete
10-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Still empty and no building permits. So strange.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview100319a.jpg

mugofbeer
10-08-2019, 10:37 PM
People don’t just lose millions of dollars so they can take it off on their taxes. They would have to be in the 100% tax bracket. There is no incentive to tear it down unless the land is very valuable...which it isn’t at that location.

Perhaps they ran into fatal structural problems or insurmountable environmental issues. If so, it may cost more to mitigate than it would be worth afterwards. Or maybe financing to remodel fell through. Any number of things are possible, and many can be unexpected.

Sorry, 6 months later and its stone cold empty. I'm still going with the tax write-off angle like the lovely LA folks who owned the FNB. This can be a prime piece of residential property or it can be a prominent vacant slum.

OkieNate
10-09-2019, 08:56 AM
It is especially sad seeing this as it is considering how fantastic and successful the Tiffany remodel is.

Pete
10-09-2019, 08:58 AM
The views of downtown to the southeast and the lake to the northwest are pretty spectacular, and each unit has a large balcony.

I suspect a big renovation is coming because this is a great property with tons of potential.

gopokes88
10-09-2019, 12:00 PM
The views of downtown to the southeast and the lake to the northwest are pretty spectacular, and each unit has a large balcony.

I suspect a big renovation is coming because this is a great property with tons of potential.

Not an urban by any means, but an awesome part of town to live in.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-10-2019, 03:29 AM
I hope we hear something on this soon. It’s just really odd for this to sit empty for so long.

SEMIweather
10-11-2019, 04:43 AM
Not an urban by any means, but an awesome part of town to live in.

Excluding any areas bounded by the I-235, I-40, and I-44 loop, this is probably the best part of OKC to live in IMO.

HOT ROD
10-14-2019, 11:54 PM
urban suburbia.

gopokes88
10-15-2019, 08:59 PM
urban suburbia.

Sub-urban?

Pete
01-07-2020, 05:53 AM
Still nothing happening here and I haven't seen any permits:

https://i.imgur.com/0iXSctl.jpg

bucktalk
01-07-2020, 07:34 AM
While I was at Best Buy a few days after Christmas I saw a work crew on top of Lakeview Towers/Mid-Town Apartments. From what I could tell they were either doing roof work or replacing something on the roof top. So...some sort of work is going on but not sure what.

Pete
01-07-2020, 07:36 AM
^

May have been an inspection.

I hope this sells soon so it can be properly renovated. Some of the best views in all of OKC and a great location in general.

bucktalk
01-07-2020, 07:49 AM
Could be, could be. There were about 15 guys doing some kind of work. Yes! Great location and great potential.

^

May have been an inspection.

I hope this sells soon so it can be properly renovated. Some of the best views in all of OKC and a great location in general.

PaddyShack
01-07-2020, 08:04 AM
I think it would be cool for these to be built to suit. For example, I would want to purchase two or three units and conjoin them. I am thinking of having a unit on one floor with the other units on the next floor up. It would be expensive to configure, but something that hasn't been done in OKC it seems.

Pete
01-07-2020, 08:39 AM
I think it would be cool for these to be built to suit. For example, I would want to purchase two or three units and conjoin them. I am thinking of having a unit on one floor with the other units on the next floor up. It would be expensive to configure, but something that hasn't been done in OKC it seems.

I very much doubt it would ever go condo, as Founders Tower had a terrible time and a bunch of units were just recently sold at auction.

I would think the Tiffany route would be more likely, but they faced similar issues due to small units that couldn't be easily changed due to concrete walls.

Pete
12-17-2021, 07:27 AM
Still nothing happening here.

Very strange, especially since housing is red-hot right now.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview121621a.jpg

Pete
12-17-2021, 10:04 AM
^

I didn't notice when I took this photo yesterday, but someone who works nearby posted on Facebook that the sliding doors have been replaced and they have been working on the HVAC system.

The entire complex closed in the summer of 2018. You'd think they'd be anxious to reopen and get some revenue given the strong housing market.

Pete
12-17-2021, 10:59 AM
I zoomed in on one of my photos from yesterday...

In the lower-left, you can see the old sliders that have yet to be replaced. Pretty much all the others are new, all the way to the top of the building.

I don't know why they haven't filed building permits.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview121621b.jpg

Pete
01-06-2022, 09:43 AM
I peaked inside and it looks like the only work they've done thus far is to replace about 95% of the exterior sliding doors that lead from the various apartments to the balconies.

The photos are of the back of the building which faces northwest.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview010222a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview010222b.jpg

G.Walker
01-06-2022, 01:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a building permit if the renovation is cosmetic (painting, new fixtures, new carpet, lighting, doors, etc.) Just think you need it if you are actually altering the footprint of the building, like actually doing construction.

tvkokc
01-06-2022, 02:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a building permit if the renovation is cosmetic (painting, new fixtures, new carpet, lighting, doors, etc.) Just think you need it if you are actually altering the footprint of the building, like actually doing construction.

Per the city of Oklahoma city's website,

"Permits are required when you construct, alter, repair, enlarge, move or demolish any primary or accessory structure. Contact Development Center Plan Review staff at 297-2525 for additional information.

The State of Oklahoma does not require a license for general contractors. However, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sign, driveway and fire suppression system permits, can only be issued to contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City. Contractors must be licensed by both the State of Oklahoma and the City of Oklahoma City to work in Oklahoma City. The links below provide information regarding how to get licensed."

https://www.okc.gov/departments/development-services/development-center/permits-5965

Dob Hooligan
01-06-2022, 08:14 PM
I drove by this evening and the name is lit on the roof. Haven’t been by after dark in months, so I have no idea if the -id Town Apartments is usually lit. Anybody know?

tvkokc
01-07-2022, 10:01 AM
I drove by this evening and the name is lit on the roof. Haven’t been by after dark in months, so I have no idea if the -id Town Apartments is usually lit. Anybody know?

I just was over by it last week or the week before and it wasn't lit then, so progress!

Pete
01-07-2022, 10:05 AM
I looked inside at the lobby and it's a mess.

If they are going through the trouble and expense of completely shutting down this building for over a year and counting, you have to think they'll be doing a lot more upgrades. Not sure why they are taking so long considering the massive amount of revenue they are sacrificing, especially given the tight nature of the housing market.

gopokes88
01-07-2022, 02:11 PM
I looked inside at the lobby and it's a mess.

If they are going through the trouble and expense of completely shutting down this building for over a year and counting, you have to think they'll be doing a lot more upgrades. Not sure why they are taking so long considering the massive amount of revenue they are sacrificing, especially given the tight nature of the housing market.

Probably supply chain related. Buying anything at scale right now is hard as hell.

GaryOKC6
01-07-2022, 02:22 PM
They really shot themselves in the foot by delaying the renovation since building materials are way more expensive and hard to get.

LakeEffect
01-07-2022, 03:01 PM

My understanding as well. If you change a structural element, it's required. If the door replacement required widening the frames, they'd have to file a permit.

Pete
06-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Now replacing windows on the south exposure.

I've looked inside and I can't see any signs of remodeling other than the windows and sliders.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lakeview061222a.jpg

shartel_ave
06-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Every time I drive by this place I think damn it could be such a great place to live if renovated

lady_o
11-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Any news on this place?

Pete
11-25-2022, 11:47 AM
I go by and check every couple of weeks. I've tried to reach the out-of-state owners with no luck.

They replaced all the windows and sliders but when I look inside I don't see any work.

It's beyond strange they closed up, threw everyone out and remain shuttered during the biggest housing boom in OKC history.

ManAboutTown
11-26-2022, 10:40 AM
I go by and check every couple of weeks. I've tried to reach the out-of-state owners with no luck.

They replaced all the windows and sliders but when I look inside I don't see any work.

It's beyond strange they closed up, threw everyone out and remain shuttered during the biggest housing boom in OKC history.

Pete, is this the same out-of-state group that bought and renovated The Tiffany just south of here? As I recall, that building was also bought, cleared out and then sat empty for several years awaiting renovation.

Pete
11-26-2022, 12:13 PM
Pete, is this the same out-of-state group that bought and renovated The Tiffany just south of here? As I recall, that building was also bought, cleared out and then sat empty for several years awaiting renovation.

No, completely unrelated.

The Tiffany developer took his time but did a great job.

ManAboutTown
11-27-2022, 10:37 AM
No, completely unrelated.

The Tiffany developer took his time but did a great job.

That is good to hear. I have only viewed it from the outside, but it's a beautiful building, and the sign on the roof is iconic.

bucktalk
11-27-2022, 02:03 PM
These apartments make me think they'll fit in well in Chernobyl Russia.

Oski
11-27-2022, 02:26 PM

A bit of creativity can help: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/5bdc/689a/f197/cc45/e900/051d/large_jpg/wearecontents-ajn-marseillaise-dji_0732.jpg?1541171346

rayvaflav
11-27-2022, 04:45 PM
I've never been to any of these apartments but I spent a lot of time in that basement. Nancy's before it moves across to the east side of May Avenue.

bombermwc
11-28-2022, 06:58 AM
I suspect that they got in there and realized that it's not as small of a job as they thought. Some big mechanical thing probably needed more work than they had planned for.

With interest rates going up, i actually think they will be better positioned now. Not as many people can afford a mortgage at the higher rate, so back to rental/lease they go. If they can get things moving here, then they may have a product to offer before they miss out. Rates are fluctuating, so it's just as possible for them to go up as it is for them to go down. I dont think we'll see 2% again though.

KayneMo
04-26-2023, 12:44 PM
I drove by a few nights ago and almost all of the interior lights were on, the top 3 floors were completely dark though.

Pete
04-26-2023, 01:26 PM
^

They have been slowly doing some work but not much beyond replacing the windows and sliders.

Still no building permits.

It's crazy because rents are at a record high and they've just chosen to sit there for years now.

citywokchinesefood
04-26-2023, 03:19 PM

Chernobyl is in Ukraine friend. It is near Pripyat the orcs actually dug trenches in the red forest early on during the invasion of Ukraine.

soonerguru
05-21-2023, 02:36 PM
^

They have been slowly doing some work but not much beyond replacing the windows and sliders.

Still no building permits.

It's crazy because rents are at a record high and they've just chosen to sit there for years now.

Someone's tax shelter? Maybe they are just waiting to unload it for an astronomical amount.