View Full Version : Moving Halloween. Yay or Nay?

Mel
10-30-2018, 12:23 PM
I have been reading about this idea on various media for several weeks. Moving Halloween to the last Saturday of October. Now, I go and walk with my Grandsons on this Holiday. I would like to see this change happen. It would benefit the Children, and, the Adults.

stile99
10-30-2018, 12:39 PM

I can see where it might benefit some people, but simply not enough to dedicate even the smallest amount of energy towards actually attempting. That energy would be much better spent addressing the nightmare we're facing this Sunday at 2am, with a much better (proven) benefit to everyone.

bchris02
10-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Most of the time Halloween is already celebrated on the weekend before whenever it falls in the middle of the week like this year. Most bars/clubs in OKC had their costume nights this past Saturday.

Bullbear
10-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Most of the time Halloween is already celebrated on the weekend before whenever it falls in the middle of the week like this year. Most bars/clubs in OKC had their costume nights this past Saturday. he means for trick or treaters not for adults.
and that is why I wouldn't support a move. The weekend before is when most adult celebrations are and I don't want to host a party and have children knocking on door for candy. then can come back Wed tonight is for the big kids.

Jersey Boss
10-30-2018, 01:46 PM
It would never fly in Norman, Stillwater, or any other town has a D1 program. Halloween should be on the 31st, just like Independece Day on the 4th, Xmas on the 25th, etc.

Mel
10-30-2018, 01:46 PM
I did not factor in the Alcohol importance. Back when my Kids were young enough to go T or T, on weekdays, I had to be up at 0330 the next day. The kids would be tired and cranky from trying to sleep off their sugar buzz. They were sneaky about eating candy when walking from house to house.

rezman
10-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Since when did Holloween become a holiday anyway?

Bullbear
10-30-2018, 02:42 PM

The word "Holiday" was only used once in this entire thread. It is however a mark on the calendar and a holiday while not an official National Holiday. but not sure what your point is

king183
10-30-2018, 02:59 PM
It would never fly in Norman, Stillwater, or any other town has a D1 program. Halloween should be on the 31st, just like Independece Day on the 4th, Xmas on the 25th, etc.

Absolutely. Halloween is the 31st. Don't Edmond My Halloween.

MadMonk
10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I vote to leave it as-is. I remember when I was a wee lad and my friend and I rang a door bell where there was a Halloween party raging complete with drinking and smoking of various things. Everyone was really nice and handed us a bunch of candy and some even put a dollar or two in my pillow case candy bag. It was great!

When I told my parents they were horrified. :)

stile99
10-30-2018, 03:28 PM

About 2,000-2,500 years ago. Then again the Mound of the Hostages is about 4,500-5,000 years old, so perhaps even longer. It's hard to tell when much of ancient history is verbal. Although to be fair, that's Samhain. When it got changed to Halloween could be up for debate, one might consider Pope Gregory the First's edict in 601 AD to be the crossing point, pun absolutely intended.

Plutonic Panda
10-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Well that is ridiculous. Not that this has a chance of happening, but the fact people just want to change a tradition to suit their own needs. Go have a look why Halloween falls on the 31st. There is a good reason behind it. It wasn't just random day picked from a hat.

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Don't forget that Pluto is not a planet...

hoya
10-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Well that is ridiculous. Not that this has a chance of happening, but the fact people just want to change a tradition to suit their own needs. Go have a look why Halloween falls on the 31st. There is a good reason behind it. It wasn't just random day picked from a hat.

Yeah I agree. Leave holidays on their normal day instead of trying to screw with everything.

rezman
10-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Not that there is a prerequisite on the number of times a word is mentioned before it may be commented on, but it really was just an honest question. Growing up I never heard holloween refered to as a holiday, as as we know it here in the US. But over the last 20 or so years, around this time of year, I hear more and more people refer to it as a holiday.

Thanks for the bit of history Stile.

Plutonic Panda
10-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Don't forget that Pluto is not a planet...Damn straight!

Mel
10-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Special Days, Holidays and Traditions. I have seen them moved to accommodate workers wanting a three day weekend. How many Posters have Grade School aged Children or Grandchildren? Do you go walk the walk with them? Trick or Treating can be moved. Usually is when it falls on a Sunday.

ctchandler
10-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Ok, a stupid question that has nothing to do with the date. When I was a child, we never said "Trick or Treat". We knocked on the door and said "Halloween Handout". I don't know if that was my church or what but all of my friends said the same thing and we didn't attend the same church.
C. T.

emtefury
10-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Nay

stile99
10-31-2018, 06:42 AM
Special Days, Holidays and Traditions. I have seen them moved to accommodate workers wanting a three day weekend. How many Posters have Grade School aged Children or Grandchildren? Do you go walk the walk with them? Trick or Treating can be moved. Usually is when it falls on a Sunday.

So join your Millennial friends and sign the petition. We all know the official response is going to be "thanks, it ain't happening", but go for it.

https://kfor.com/2018/10/30/thousands-petition-to-change-halloween-to-final-saturday-in-october/

RadicalModerate
10-31-2018, 07:18 AM

If there's one thing I can't abide, it's Revisionist Astronomy. (Well . . . that, Halloween, and not keeping Daylight Savings Time all year round.)

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 07:24 AM
OMG, alert the media. There is a war on Halloween! The first attempt was trying to eliminate the proper name with substituting the phrase "fall festival" in its place./s/ Leave it alone helicopter parents.

jerrywall
10-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Individual cities used to move the official trick or treat night around to make it more kid friendly. So while officially Halloween was always the 31st, the night to go out might vary. I remember being able to trick or treat in Edmond one night, and then go to Perry a night or two later and trick or treat again. If folks want something like that, it works on the city level. There's no need to make any large scale changes.

jerrywall
10-31-2018, 07:35 AM

Never forgive, never forget. Curses upon Neil deGrasse Tyson!

Bullbear
10-31-2018, 08:17 AM
I mean can we change Christmas and New years too? make them the last two weekends of Dec so they aren't middle of the week? Independence day could be the first weekend of July. Doing anything middle of the week is a hassle

Bullbear
10-31-2018, 08:20 AM
Not that there is a prerequisite on the number of times a word is mentioned before it may be commented on, but it really was just an honest question. Growing up I never heard holloween refered to as a holiday, as as we know it here in the US. But over the last 20 or so years, around this time of year, I hear more and more people refer to it as a holiday.

Thanks for the bit of history Stile.

my apologies, I read your comment as snark and not a legitimate request for information. that's the problem with text is without tone we can make assumptions and I am always willing to admit when I read into it wrong.

jn1780
10-31-2018, 08:47 AM
I mean can we change Christmas and New years too? make them the last two weekends of Dec so they aren't middle of the week? Independence day could be the first weekend of July. Doing anything middle of the week is a hassle

I vote we just cancel News Years Eve/ Day. It's too much work to change the calanders to the new year.

I would vote to get rid of Daylight savings if we got the federal government on board. I dont want to be one or two random states with their own time zone.

jedicurt
10-31-2018, 10:41 AM

don't remind me... i still cry and hold a vigil for it every August 24th... may we never forget!!!!

d-usa
10-31-2018, 11:42 AM
A while back, Kingfisher had Independence Day on July 5th.

stile99
10-31-2018, 01:17 PM
A while back, Kingfisher had Independence Day on July 5th.

I have never lived anywhere that DIDN'T reschedule Independence Day due to rain. While many cities will have their own fireworks display and aim for a Friday or weekend, the 4th has always been the day for fireworks, unless it rains. Then it gets rescheduled. As noted earlier, trick or treat night often gets rescheduled, especially if it falls on a Sunday, especially in this area of the country.

A given locality is already free to make whatever change is deemed necessary. The point and the difference is nobody is insane enough to propose this be forced upon everyone nationwide. There's simply no need for it, and this is one time where "Oh, won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!" won't help.

OKCRT
10-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Just get rid of daylight savings time and I'm good with whatever y'all want to do with Halloween.

d-usa
10-31-2018, 02:02 PM
I have never lived anywhere that DIDN'T reschedule Independence Day due to rain. While many cities will have their own fireworks display and aim for a Friday or weekend, the 4th has always been the day for fireworks, unless it rains. Then it gets rescheduled. As noted earlier, trick or treat night often gets rescheduled, especially if it falls on a Sunday, especially in this area of the country.

A given locality is already free to make whatever change is deemed necessary. The point and the difference is nobody is insane enough to propose this be forced upon everyone nationwide. There's simply no need for it, and this is one time where "Oh, won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!" won't help.

It wasn’t a rain issue. I think it was a Sunday issue.

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Inm

Bullbear
10-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Just get rid of daylight savings time and I'm good with whatever y'all want to do with Halloween.

I want to stay on Daylight savings time indefinitely!

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 02:20 PM
It was because the 5th was the bank holiday.

Mel
10-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Individual cities used to move the official trick or treat night around to make it more kid friendly. So while officially Halloween was always the 31st, the night to go out might vary. I remember being able to trick or treat in Edmond one night, and then go to Perry a night or two later and trick or treat again. If folks want something like that, it works on the city level. There's no need to make any large scale changes.

Nice answer, Jerry. I realize now I posted this to the wrong kind of group. Moot point tonight, the weather is nasty.

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 02:29 PM

A state can elect to stay on standard time but not DST. That is a federal thing. Several parts of the USA like AZ stay on standard time.

stile99
10-31-2018, 02:38 PM
A state can elect to stay on standard time but not DST. That is a federal thing.

For now. Two bills are currently rotting in committee, so we'll see.

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 02:49 PM
For now. Two bills are currently rotting in committee, so we'll see.

Because dst is only 4 months long, and the state can elect to stay on cst, I would prefer 86ing dst.

stile99
10-31-2018, 03:19 PM
DST is 8 months. It's what is ending this Sunday.

OKCRT
10-31-2018, 04:09 PM

I would go for that also. I just don't like the flip flopping. Kids are walking to bus stops in total darkness right now. Not sure how to change that but I just don't see that as a good thing.

Jersey Boss
10-31-2018, 04:40 PM
DST is 8 months. It's what is ending this Sunday.

I stand corrected on mixing up the two. Consequently I am with 'bear, leave it alone. Stay on dst. If that can't be done, stay on standard time.

OKCRT
11-01-2018, 08:19 AM
I stand corrected on mixing up the two. Consequently I am with 'bear, leave it alone. Stay on dst. If that can't be done, stay on standard time.

Pretty sure we would have to stay on standard time.

rezman
11-01-2018, 08:49 AM
I'm of the set it for DST and leave it. More daylight in the evenings year round.

stile99
11-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Pretty sure we would have to stay on standard time.

Post #38.

Bunty
11-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Maybe treat or treat is on its way out. I only had 4 kids at the door this year, compared to around 30 last year.

turnpup
11-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Maybe treat or treat is on its way out. I only had 4 kids at the door this year, compared to around 30 last year.

Our neighborhood was slammed with kids, even more than in years past with better weather.

sooner88
11-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Our neighborhood was slammed with kids, even more than in years past with better weather.

Girlfriend's parents house had 600+ in 2 hrs.

Bullbear
11-01-2018, 11:07 AM
we decorate our house up pretty extensively and had 8 ..lol we never have many as not many kids on our street and I feel people go to the burbs to trick or treat.

TheTravellers
11-01-2018, 11:22 AM
We had one, we live in Venice, and apparently right across 30th (south of Venice), which is Cleveland, there are tons of kids. Weird...

Mel
11-01-2018, 12:19 PM
I am always with the Grandkids so, no T&T here. My Son and DIL moved to a really nice little Neighborhood between Yukon and Mustang. Everybody there has Kids. I think, at this moment, there are only around 40 homes. All 2 story 5+ plus rooms. They made out like little bandits. Two T-Shirt Bags each of primo candy. I too, would like to see the end of DST. There is no longer a need for it.