View Full Version : Awesome Local Business Sponsorship for Hornets

Decious
10-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Further proof that Oklahoma City can support and is supporting a major league team. When the NBA put OKC on their short list of expansion cities, they knew what they were doing! I'm flying back to see Philly on the 2nd of December. Can't wait!

5 area companies become team's 'presenting sponsors'

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Five Oklahoma City-based companies have agreed to an unprecedented "presenting sponsorship" of the NBA Hornets -- a deal being cited as proof the city has the corporate base necessary to support a major league team.

Only the fifth presenting sponsorship signed in NBA history, the partnership between the Hornets and Chesapeake Energy Corp., Devon Energy Corp., Kerr-McGee Corp., MidFirst Bank, and The Oklahoman, is the first in major professional sports history to include five partners in a single presenting sponsorship role.

The exact value of the package was not disclosed.

"Presenting sponsors are a rare commodity on the professional sports landscape, and we are extremely proud to have formed this unprecedented partnership with Chesapeake, Devon, Kerr-McGee, MidFirst Bank and The Oklahoman," Hornets owner George Shinn said.

"The level of support we've received from the local business community has been nothing short of remarkable, and this presenting sponsorship is proof that Oklahoma City and the state of Oklahoma are major league in every sense of the term."

The sponsors, dubbed Pioneer Season Partners, are entitled to premium benefits as part of the overall NBA presentation in the arena. They also include active participation in community relations events such as the NBA's successful "Read to Achieve" education program.

The Pioneer Partners also will sponsor the Hornets' opening night Nov. 1 in the first-ever regular season NBA game at the Ford Center.

Mayor Mick Cornett said the deal is proof that Oklahoma City's corporate base -- always questioned by those skeptical that the city could support a major league team -- is up to the challenge.

"The level we're supporting this team is simply amazing," Cornett said. "I don't think anyone was more optimistic than me, but this has exceeded even my expectation."

Paul Swangard, director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon, called the deal "unique."

"The Pistons have been known for having a presenting sponsor the last couple years," Swangard said. "And we've had brands presenting preseason and playoffs. But this is breaking new ground."

Swangard said the sponsorships can help the team gain acceptance in a market where their future is uncertain. The Hornets relocated to Ford Center after Hurricane Katrina devastated their hometown of New Orleans, and Shinn has left open the possibility of the team's staying in Oklahoma City or moving back to Louisiana.

"It's an attempt to help the team connect with the community," Swangard said.

Tim Hinchey, the team's senior vice president of corporate development, called the corporate support "beyond impressive."

"These are leadership companies and we believe their presenting sponsorships with the Hornets will be mutually beneficial and send a positive message of Oklahoma City's desire to demonstrate it has the community assets to support the Hornets this year at a major league level," Hinchey said.

Chris Heck, vice president of team sponsorship development for the NBA, was also complimentary.

"The NBA is extremely pleased with how Oklahoma City has embraced the Hornets under difficult and unusual circumstances," Heck said. "By working together, these incredible corporate sponsors have demonstrated their belief in the Hornets and desire to help make the team's stay in Oklahoma City an unquestionable success. The NBA welcomes them to the blue chip roster of outstanding corporate partners across the league."

John
10-23-2005, 10:28 AM
...Shinn has left open the possibility of the team's staying in Oklahoma City...

That's exciting, very exciting!

Karried
10-23-2005, 11:11 AM
It is exciting, it's bittersweet for me though, cuz I do feel badly for the New Orlean's fans... there are still a lot of hopeful people on their boards hoping the Hornets will come back home. Some of them are leaving their season ticket money ( earning interest ) to hold their next year's season ticket seats in New Orleans. They are doubtful but still hopeful.

Plus, many fans are worried that when the players get hit with the enthusiastic crowds - 20K screaming fans, they may not want to come back to a minimal crowd. There is no doubt OK is welcoming the team with open arms - we love our sports!

It's a hard time for all of them - many lost everything and to possibly lose their pro teams is a double whammy.

Obviously, I know the hurricane wasn't our fault but it is sad for the victims of Katrina - it was sad reading about their hopes for their team and for their city.

okchornet
10-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Karried:

Sorry, I'm not drinking the kool aid on this. There comes a point where entitlement gets ridiculous. Why use tax money in New Orleans to support an NBA team when so many other priorities exist. The country will end up spending billions of dollars rebuilding NO. They don't need and can't support professional sports now or in the immediate future. NO needs to rebuild homes, schools, offices and infrastructure -- that's where the money should be focused. No matter how sorry you feel, there comes a time where good financial sense must be made. Are we prepared to offer New Orleans an Affirmative Action program for pro sports?

mranderson
10-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Karried:

Sorry, I'm not drinking the kool aid on this. There comes a point where entitlement gets ridiculous. Why use tax money in New Orleans to support an NBA team when so many other priorities exist. The country will end up spending billions of dollars rebuilding NO. They don't need and can't support professional sports now or in the immediate future. NO needs to rebuild homes, schools, offices and infrastructure -- that's where the money should be focused. No matter how sorry you feel, there comes a time where good financial sense must be made. Are we prepared to offer New Orleans and Affirmative Action program for pro sports?

You are quite correct. Oklahoma City is showing it can support the NBA, and I really feel we were the only true city in the running for the Hornets. I also feel strongly the NBA had their eyes on Oklahoma City to permanantly relocate them. Since the huricane, it excellarated the time table. We may hold the record for the fastest closed deal for a major league franchise, and the fastest time to (as the telemarketing industry calls it) "ramp up." Plus, the most season tickets sold in the shortest time. This speaks volumes and all the leagues will look at that.

Should the Hornets win the NBA championship, and do so in the Ford Center, that may be the first time a first year franchise city has won. (since the beginning of the leauges, that is)

scotplum
10-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Should the Hornets win the NBA championship, and do so in the Ford Center, that may be the first time a first year franchise city has won. (since the beginning of the leauges, that is)

While I certainly would love for that to happen, it would be a miracle if the Hornets just made the playoffs this year.

mranderson
10-23-2005, 02:35 PM
While I certainly would love for that to happen, it would be a miracle if the Hornets just made the playoffs this year.

This is one of the times we agree. The Hornets are a very young team and have little experience. So, they need to build. However, miracles DO happen. So, God only knows.

Luke
10-23-2005, 03:41 PM
With fan support, that's worth several wins right there. Make the Ford Center a difficult place for opponents to win, and we automatically have a .500 season. Win a few road games, and who knows? OK, OK, I know I'm being overly optimistic... still... :)

metro
10-24-2005, 08:18 AM
[/QUOTE]No matter how sorry you feel, there comes a time where good financial sense must be made.[QUOTE]

Then again, how much financial sense does it make to build a major metropolitan city under sea level

scotplum
10-24-2005, 08:23 AM
With fan support, that's worth several wins right there. Make the Ford Center a difficult place for opponents to win, and we automatically have a .500 season. Win a few road games, and who knows? OK, OK, I know I'm being overly optimistic... still... :)

LOL, I'll go along with that. Unfortunately, half of the games are not played inside the Ford Center this season, so .500 would not be automatic even with those wins. ;)

floater
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM

I agree, the fans can make a difference. We can do it for the Hornets.

OKCHornetsBuzz
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
This story is GREAT. I think there's definitely enough big-time corporate support for the Hornets.

It's going to take NO the better part of a decade to come back. Even then, will the population ever fully go back? I doubt it. Factor in that the Hornets weren't supported BEFORE the huricane and you have a "why go back?" situation.

I was at the first exhibition game and the crowd almost WILLED the team to cut that big lead. And ya know what? They almost won.

I think the Hornets can win 36 and it will be in large part because they have a City that gives a damn about them now. Don't buy this NO junk. They NEVER cared about the Hornets. One official on the team I talked to said that they have been treated better in OKC in two months than they ever were in three years in NO.

Just be ready to keep them.

Doug Loudenback
10-26-2005, 06:19 PM
This story is GREAT. I think there's definitely enough big-time corporate support for the Hornets.

It's going to take NO the better part of a decade to come back. Even then, will the population ever fully go back? I doubt it. Factor in that the Hornets weren't supported BEFORE the huricane and you have a "why go back?" situation.

I was at the first exhibition game and the crowd almost WILLED the team to cut that big lead. And ya know what? They almost won.

I think the Hornets can win 36 and it will be in large part because they have a City that gives a damn about them now. Don't buy this NO junk. They NEVER cared about the Hornets. One official on the team I talked to said that they have been treated better in OKC in two months than they ever were in three years in NO.

Just be ready to keep them. (emphasis added)

I've got to say that my first thoughts and excitement about the Hornets coming to Okc were very tempered with the thought that we should take great care about Okc not having either the substance or the appearance of being vultures, circling around the dead and eating their prey. I don't think ... and I think that many feel the same way ... that neither of those things are what we (Okc) want to (1) be or (2) appear to be. Some in this forum were more aggressive. You can read all those posts for yourself.

But, my feelings and thoughts are becoming less clear in light of the absolutely ugly trash talk we (Okc) are getting from the Hornet's fan site in NO, as well as the NO poster's at http://www.hornetscentral.com/, and perhaps at your site as well ... I've not yet had time to explore all the posts at http://www.okchornetsbuzz.com/, but I will (but I did find time to register!).

The sensation is growing that I might ought to abandon the sense of being a "nice person" and just "go" for what I really hope will happen. My inner "child", "adult" and "parent" are having a serious discussion!

Were I persuaded that the NO trash-Okc-talkers represented the mainstream of NO Hornets fans ... and these trash-talkers are, in my opinion, a pretty despicable group of ingrates ... then I would have less hesitancy in saying, "That's enough. You're not worth caring a damn about. Let's duke it out, and forget about the hurricane disaster since you are such a lowly group of people", or perhaps with less polite words than these.

I'm not at all sure that I like that I'm starting to think that way ... but I'm not at all sure that I don't. The inner self debate continues ...

Karried
10-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Doug, I can relate! I'm feeling the same way, my excitement keeps getting hampered by the guilt.... but I'm getting over it slowly but surely. Some of those 'fans' are brutal.. makes me want to fight even harder to keep the team here if they want to be that way! I'm not going to read the boards over there anymore.

I imagine after tomorrow's game and especially Tuesday's game, I'll be feeling even less guilt. I know OKC can embrace this team whether they return to N.O. or not.

Whatever the outcome, we've already given reason to be very proud of our city.

Doug Loudenback
10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Karrie, I'd say "amen" except that:

(1) I don't have a "guilt" sensation ... Okc did not cause the hurricane, and

(2) Our mayor, and those associated with the effort to land a temporary home for the Hornets, all acted honorably. I think that, as individuals, you, I and others have acted and spoken already in this same vein.

So, no guilt.

But, what pis__ me off is the attitude of the NO homers who have posted so vociferously and attack OKC, which is to say, you, me, the rest of of us. In doing so, they demonstrate their lack grace, dignity, humility, gratitude, and are, in my opinion, are more like a cesspool full of insipid vermin in their trashing of MY town, which is to say, ME, even though we've done nothing to harm but have tried to help, and have done so. Why Shinn would want to go back to mingle with such a lot, I don't know, but he does, taking his recent statements as sincere.

But, I'd hope, that trash doesn't actually represent NO, but are instead sort of the bottom of the NO refuse filtration system, which, when working, cleansed them somehow. But, now that the filtration system is broken, they rise to the top and are more akin to the rabble which looted and preyed on those they could, as we all saw on TV.

Anyway, if my inner self discussion swings around to the aggressive side, I'll be feeling no guilt. But, that's just me.

OKCHornetsBuzz
10-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Thing is Doug, I *DO* think those crazy folks at hornetsreport-com do represent the people down there. I've heard for years that Louisiana is one of the most backward and corrupt states out there and that New Orleans is full of weird jerky people. After the way I was treated over there, I have no problem in saying that I hope we keep the Hornets and that the Saints really do move to Los Angeles.

They didn't support the Hornets before... why would they after? They had HORRIBLE attendance numbers in NO and I think the NBA was thinking the move there was a mistake. Stern steered Shinn to OKC so I think you can kinda get what he wants. They have to be PC about it, though, and then in May when NO is still a mess, they can stay here for that "option" year and then after that, the nation won't even remember that's where the Hornets were from.

Those HR fans suck. Screw them. I say let's support their team better than they did and take it!

And oh, there have been ZERO NO fans on my site, okchornetsbuzz- com, but my site is four days old and hasn't hit search engines yet.

Doug Loudenback
10-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Buzz (I'll shorten your name for convenience)! I did a little exploring last night and your report does seem at 1st glance to be correct. Still, I'm gonna explore a little more before reorienting my personal compass ... I don't want to be a jerk, too, you know? We shall see.

OKCHornetsBuzz
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh, go right ahead man. I was pretty entrenched in there until I was banned twice for mentioning OKC positively. lol That's why I started my site. Those people are 8 ways from crazy.

scotplum
10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh, go right ahead man. I was pretty entrenched in there until I was banned twice for mentioning OKC positively. lol That's why I started my site. Those people are 8 ways from crazy.

Yeah, they censored me a couple of times from just mentioning to somone to not say "Screw OKC" and stuff like that. They actually edited my post to make it look like I agreed with whatever the post was saying, lol. A couple of the moderators over there are just way too sensitive (while I certainly understand not wanting it to turn into OKC vs. NO too).