View Full Version : Ideas 4 MAPS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

David
10-11-2018, 09:45 AM
From Mayor Holt on Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/1050408576982880257

It is time to talk about MAPS 4. It is time to dream big again. Watch the video below and then submit your ideas at http://OKC.gov/Ideas4MAPS to help write the next chapter in our city’s history! #Ideas4MAPS #1OKC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEw1E_UtjjE

jedicurt
10-11-2018, 10:01 AM
easy... massive expansion of streetcar and commuter rail.

Richard at Remax
10-11-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm all for just about anything but a MLS type stadium. Should not put that kind of stadium on taxpayers dime for a potential bid for a league that is in the lower tier of it's profession (MLS). And especially not for a USL team. The MLS structure is a sham and I think we should stay away from it.

baralheia
10-11-2018, 10:04 AM
easy... massive expansion of streetcar and commuter rail.

That will come with the Regional Transit Authority, which is very close to being formally established.

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Press release:

Oklahoma City invites ‘Ideas 4 MAPS’

Mayor David Holt and the City Council are inviting the people of Oklahoma City to submit ideas for a potential MAPS 4 and help write a new chapter in OKC’s transformative temporary one-cent sales tax program.

“As we consider how best to continue investing in our future, we want to have an inclusive conversation, and we want every voice to be heard,” said Mayor Holt. “It is time to talk about MAPS 4. It is time to dream big again.”

Submit your ideas in one of three ways:

On ideas4maps.com.
On social media using the hashtag #ideas4maps.
Mail a letter to Mayor David Holt, Attn: MAPS 4, 200 N Walker Ave. 3rd floor, Oklahoma City, OK 73102.

As you develop your thoughts, think about transformational ideas that will propel our City forward. Be as specific as possible.

“MAPS has changed our city forever, and we have the opportunity, perhaps even the obligation, to continue building a city that our kids will want to call home,” said Mayor Holt. “We have the opportunity to continue our city’s momentum and ensure that it is felt by all. And because of the powerful idea called MAPS, we can do it without raising taxes.”

Watch Mayor Holt’s kickoff video at ideas4maps.com for more guidance, background and inspiration.

About MAPS
The Better Streets, Safer City temporary one-cent sales tax that is helping to fund nearly $800 million in street repairs expires at the end of March 2020. To adopt a potential MAPS 4 plan and not increase Oklahoma City’s sales tax rate, voters would have to consider a package in late 2019.

A new MAPS program would leave the current Oklahoma City sales tax rate of 4.125 percent unchanged. Including state sales tax, the overall sales tax rate in most of OKC is 8.625 percent (8.975 percent in Canadian County and 8.875 percent in Cleveland County because of county sales taxes).

The genesis of MAPS began in the late 1980s, when civic leaders were jolted by an airline’s choice of another city for a maintenance hub because its employees didn’t want to live in Oklahoma City. In response, residents chose to make OKC a better place to live.

The original MAPS vote in December 1993 funded the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Bricktown Canal, Cox Convention Center, Chesapeake Energy Arena, Civic Center Music Hall, improvements to State Fair Park, the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, the Oklahoma River and Oklahoma Spirit Trolleys. It ultimately raised $309 million, plus an extra $54 million in interest also used to fund construction. The original MAPS also had a use tax, which was deposited into a maintenance fund for the projects.

The MAPS for Kids vote in 2001 funded improvements to every public school serving students from Oklahoma City, including 70 new or renovated school buildings. Of the $700 million raised by the program, about $470 million was used for construction projects, $52 million for technology projects, $9 million for bus fleet replacement and $153 million for projects in 23 suburban districts serving OKC students. The MAPS for KIDS use tax funded public safety vehicle replacement.

Every MAPS 3 project is either already finished or is under construction. Voters approved it in 2009. MAPS 3 raised about $805 million, well above the anticipated $777 million because of Oklahoma City’s strong economy. Its projects are Scissortail Park, RIVERSPORT Rapids and other Oklahoma River improvements, the Bennett Event Center at State Fair park, the OKC Streetcar, Senior Health & Wellness Centers, the new Convention Center, trails and sidewalks. The MAPS 3 use tax, like the MAPS for Kids use tax, funded public safety vehicle replacement.

MAPS 3 sales tax collections ended Dec. 31, 2017, with the current Better Streets, Safer City temporary one-cent sales tax taking effect the next day.

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:16 AM
“We have the opportunity to continue our city’s momentum and ensure that it is felt by all. And because of the powerful idea called MAPS, we can do it without raising taxes.”

MAPS is a sales tax increase. This is a disengenuous statement at best and a complete falsehood at worst.

Richard at Remax
10-11-2018, 10:18 AM
^this. Much like this and bond issues for schools and such, this language is deceiving. What they don't tell you that if it doesn't pass, taxes will go DOWN.

Zuplar
10-11-2018, 10:21 AM
MAPS is a sales tax increase. This is a disengenuous statement at best and a complete falsehood at worst.

I thought the same thing.

jonny d
10-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Would it be more of a continuation of a currently in place tax, or a brand new one, to piggy back on the MAPS 3 tax increase? That may be what they meant. May be wrong, though.

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
It bothers me greatly that the new mayor would make such an erroneous claim. It's not like he doesn't know how these projects are funded.

We all pay for them out of our pockets. I'm in the process of trying to move offices of the Gazette and we are going to pay a ton in sales tax. That $.01 becomes a large number over a period of time or when you make some big purchases. I'll have to go back and caculate how much that has impacted the bottom line at the Gazette for the MAPS programs. It's in the thousands and perhaps tens of thousands.

Not saying that MAPS isn't worth it, just that I can't believe the city would try and claim it is not a tax increase.

Ross MacLochness
10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
If voted in, Maps 4 would not raise taxes. Taxes are already raised so if Maps 4 fails taxes go down. I don't think they are being disingenuous but certainly not telling the whole truth. Hope it passes regardless.

BoulderSooner
10-11-2018, 10:26 AM

If maps4 passes will the tax rate A. Increase? B decrease? Or C stay exactly the same ?

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Semantics and word games that are intentionally very misleading.

MAPS is a sales tax increase, period... Which is exactly why it requires a vote of the people.

BoulderSooner
10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
The claim is a fact. Maps 4 yes vote would not raise the tax rate from the current rate in any way

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:34 AM
The claim is a fact. Maps 4 yes vote would not raise the tax rate from the current rate in any way

Complete word games and an intentional manipulation.

The current $.01 sales tax is set to expire. That is why a new vote is required.

BoulderSooner
10-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Which everyone understands. A no vote would reduce taxes. A yes vote keeps the tax rate the same

We likely will have a rta tax vote in the next 2 years also. That vote would be to raise the overall tax rate

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Which everyone understands. A no vote would reduce taxes. A yes vote keeps the tax rate the same

Actually, without a vote taxes would not go up.

So, it's a vote to raise taxes. Period.

BoulderSooner
10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
You are the one using word games. A yes vote makes the current tax rate do what ??? Up down or the same ? Simple ?

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:42 AM
You are the one using word games. A yes vote makes the current tax rate do what ??? Up down or the same ? Simple ?

This is silly argument and we've both made our points.

I would hope the leader of our city would have more sense.

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:50 AM
This the exact wording on the ballot for MAPS 3:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/maps3wording.jpg

BoulderSooner
10-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Moving on thing I would like to see on the agenda. And 2 things that might be added

1. Transit. Street car extension to both capital hill and up classen to 63rd. Heavy rail from the adventure district with stops on the east side. Through the sante fe station then on to the airport (getting at least adjacent to the car rental facility)

Would love a downtown aquarium

2. Thing that may show up Capping 235 (Lot of money little benifit).

State fair arena. (This seems like a lock)

Pete
10-11-2018, 10:57 AM
The fair arena and I-235 cap are darlings of the chamber and since they are the ones that promote MAPS, you can bet both will be featured prominently.

Pete
10-11-2018, 11:11 AM
BTW, I hope the city plans to share the input as to what citizens most want to see.

People may remember that the chamber conducted a private poll about the popularity of MAPS 3 projects and then refused to share that data.

catch22
10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
I made my submission. I’d like to see beautification projects city wide, more sidewalks, and further expansion of the streetcar and rail to the airport.

Timshel
10-11-2018, 12:29 PM
I would hope the leader of our city would have more sense.

The preceding sentence from Holt's original quote - "We have the opportunity to continue our city’s momentum and ensure that it is felt by all" - provided a pretty sizable context clue as to what Holt meant by the sentence at issue. While of course you are technically correct, I suspect virtually every press release since MAPS for Kids has used some form of the argument that "taxes won't increase from rates under the previous MAPS if you vote yes" and maybe I'm an optimist but I suspect the population of people that didn't understand what Holt meant is pretty small, so calling out Holt's competence seems like a bit of a low blow.

Moving on....I'm excited to see the proposals and hope MAPS continues to be used for its original purpose (large scale capital-intensive quality of life/redevelopment projects) and not for projects that should (in an ideal world) be completed through regular tax collections (street maintenance, etc.), which seem to have gained momentum as possible MAPS projects over the last couple of years.

Highest on my list is streetcar expansion and some sort of master plan for redevelopment of the Cox Convention Center site (still trying to formulate ideas of what this could look like but I think there's an opportunity for the city to spur development of something special on this site and I believe the city has an obligation to the people to ensure whatever development happens to replace the Cox center is completed responsibly). I would also like to see continued development of the riverfront to ensure it's a destination all the people of OKC can enjoy long into the future.

Ross MacLochness
10-11-2018, 12:38 PM
My list:
Streetcar/public transit expansion
River front improvements
TREES Maps 4 Trees (be sure to include a maintenance package)
Better connectivity to east side (without capping the highway)
Maps 4 Housing - build lots of small homes/apartments near or in downtown or other nodes of retai/job/services to provide low income/student/artist/homeless housing
Maps 4 Mental Health - build mental heath facilities

gopokes88
10-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Mayor’s statements weren’t misleading.

Also,

This. I want this. I won’t get it but I still want it. Would be perfect by the river activities. Build it on the south side with a ped bridge to get to it.

https://www.crystal-lagoons.com

ChaseDweller
10-11-2018, 01:46 PM
I think we have to make sure that all areas of the city are served or this will never pass again...

Streetcar Expansion to HSC, Capitol Hill, 23rd and Classen (at least). Would love to see a line to the airport, but that's probably too expensive.
More sidewalks and trails, especially running east/west, including some dedicated pedestrian bridges across the river and highways
Expand the wellness center program to include all ages and mental health.
Some sort of education support facilities for the less privileged (night courses, child care, GED, college and vo-tech centers in smaller, more dispersed facilities in neighborhoods in need)
I like the trees idea too.

Laramie
10-11-2018, 02:14 PM
This won't increase the sales tax; however if you let it expire we will see a .01 penny drop in the tax; this is the way we have always promoted this following previous extension beyond the passage of the original MAPS projects; we are voting for an extension.

Continue the momentum; continue the Renaissance...

dankrutka
10-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Maps for Transportation: bus improvements, streetcar expansion, bike lanes and paths, sidewalks, streetscaping and fixes.

Sell people on the likely more popular streets and sidewalks to get the moderately popular projects done.

Johnb911
10-11-2018, 02:52 PM
The key takeaway for me from his statement was the message of inclusiveness. I may be projecting, but when considering a lot of what he's said and done since taking office (lots of south side activity, the message he gave when debuting the new marathon course going south of I40, etc) it seems like there will be a push to maybe decentralize this MAPS and make sure there's a lot done on both sides of the river and east of Broadway Extension, not just in the urban core.

Since I live in the Village and can't vote for or against, I'll leave all this up to the rest of you. I'd like more trees and some more pedestrian bridges for better access to parks (over the river, over highways) and wouldn't be opposed to capping 235. Expand the streetcar too.

gopokes88
10-11-2018, 03:05 PM
The key takeaway for me from his statement was the message of inclusiveness. I may be projecting, but when considering a lot of what he's said and done since taking office (lots of south side activity, the message he gave when debuting the new marathon course going south of I40, etc) it seems like there will be a push to maybe decentralize this MAPS and make sure there's a lot done on both sides of the river and east of Broadway Extension, not just in the urban core.

Since I live in the Village and can't vote for or against, I'll leave all this up to the rest of you. I'd like more trees and some more pedestrian bridges for better access to parks (over the river, over highways) and wouldn't be opposed to capping 235. Expand the streetcar too.

I know he’s definitely focused on the south side and mental health.
The opportunity zones in the tax package are going to be big as well.

Paseofreak
10-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Aren't MAPS taxes limited to capital improvements? Is that by virtue of the language in each MAPS program or by Sate Law? I ask because I''m seeing lots of proposals on social media for programs that would assist the homeless and other marginalized groups. Certainly these causes could benefit from some hard infrastructure, but seem to me to be dominated by operational costs.

catch22
10-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Aren't MAPS taxes limited to capital improvements? Is that by virtue of the language in each MAPS program or by Sate Law? I ask because I''m seeing lots of proposals on social media for programs that would assist the homeless and other marginalized groups. Certainly these causes could benefit from some hard infrastructure, but seem to me to be dominated by operational costs.

It’s just not smart to fund any kind of operational cost from a temporary tax.

HOT ROD
10-11-2018, 04:25 PM

but that is not what was said. It wont raise taxes, which is true. And it is not a tax increase over what we have today, which is also true.

But it is a tax increase in that it increases over what was the rate prior to Maps. I don't see anything wrong with the statement to be honest.

baralheia
10-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Maps for Transportation: bus improvements, streetcar expansion, bike lanes and paths, sidewalks, streetscaping and fixes.

Sell people on the likely more popular streets and sidewalks to get the moderately popular projects done.

A MAPS 4 dedicated to transportation projects would virtually guarantee that the funding vote for the Regional Transit Authority fails when it comes up in a couple of years. Most people wouldn't understand that they are different and would complain that they had already voted for this. That's why I wouldn't include any heavy transportation in the upcoming MAPS4, but I'm 100% in agreement with funding for more sidewalks, streetscaping, hike/bike paths, bike lanes, etc.

While I think downtown is super important to any city's health, I agree that we're reaching the end of major capital improvements that we can make downtown. That said, I'd like to see further improvement to Santa Fe Station, at the platform level, to prepare our station for the eventual Heartland Flyer extension and/or service to Tulsa. In that same vein, maybe the improvements necessary for the rail connection to Tulsa - the rehabilitation of the rail corridor between Bricktown and Deep Deuce, as well as the curved bridge to the south to connect to the platforms at the station - could be included in the station/platform improvements. I also would love to see a multipurpose sports facility that meets (or can be easily modified to meet) minimum MLS standards, preferably somewhere near the river or near Capitol Hill. I also like the idea of further improvements at the fairgrounds, but I'd prefer something unique; things like rehabilitating or rebuilding the space needle, more public art installations (including rebuilding the arch), maybe a permanent ampitheatre... Things like that. That said, I'm also not opposed to replacing the Fairgrounds Arena - I'd just prefer to add additional amenities that would create a bigger draw to the area. In addition to the above, I agree with ChaseDweller - I'd love to see an expansion of the Health & Wellness Center program with more facilities, as well as including all ages; tie them in with some of the bigger city parks to emulate similar facilities run by park districts in the Chicagoland area. And as I said originally - sidewalks, sidewalks, sidewalks. Every major thoroughfare needs sidewalks on both sides of the street.

I also don't have any specific ideas, but I would love to see both the Eastside and Southside get some MAPS4 love.

BG918
10-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Looks like a stadium was popular at the community planning session

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w620-e25cfb0ba9c04ef29a0d43d4d4184fee.jpg

Zuplar
10-12-2018, 06:33 AM
A stadium is something I'd definitely not want. I just worry about longtime viability of franchises like the Energy. I just don't have a lot of faith that they'll be here. I really think we need to focus on something that ties everything together, and I think something big would be city wide beautification and proper funding to maintain it. I'm sure there are some other projects that could be done as well, but to me that's the greatest need. Any other projects should be things that we haven't done to this point, so IMO we should exclude things like streetcar expansion this go around. We don't even know if it's going to be successful. I'd rather hold that off till a possible MAPS 5. That way if it proves itself successful, no one can argue the expansion.

TheSteveHunt
10-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Same type of **** like when they say "Oh no! Russell Westbrook DOES pay state taxes!"
total crap. The "quality jobs" act was manipulated to apply to the thunder, and receive a 5% payroll
refund because... ready for this..... state tax (@ the time) was 5%..and heaven forbid they should contribute
to the State in this fashion....

anyway, this machine of crap is too powerful to combat, let them have their fun!

Complete word games and an intentional manipulation.

The current $.01 sales tax is set to expire. That is why a new vote is required.

5alive
10-12-2018, 08:32 AM
In my view, there WAS a tax increase with the original MAPS...since then the original tax increase has just been extended. There is no tax increase from extending MAPS...just an extension from the original.

Laramie
10-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Favor the soccer & American football stadium idea. Submitted this idea: Since USL & MLS are big risks; build the stadium with Energy FC funding 50%; that would give them skin in the game. If they want a 10,000 - 20,000 seat stadium (half chair back/bleachers) and they pay half--allow them free rent; also let them operate the stadium and give them naming rights for their investment. MLS, USL or the new pro football league AFF--it will a good promotion for OKC since CBS will cover the games. Las Vegas franchise won't last since the NFL Raiders will be rolling out in 2020.

2nd: Extend the streetcar thru film row NORTH on Classen Blvd., thru the Asian District (23rd) into the Paseo District and from downtown SOUTH down Robinson or Walker to 25th & Commerce Capitol Hill District and over to Stockyard City District. We could really promote the Stockyard City brand and build off its culture.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/okshores.jpg
3rd: (My pet peeve) Build a $20 million 625 foot Space Observation Tower on the American Indian Cultural Center Museum area (operate year round) or State Fair Park. We need to build up other unique Districts within OKC.

TheSteveHunt
10-12-2018, 09:28 AM
How bout we just raise money, give it to all the jerks who demand they control the city via their myopic, greed over taste
vision ways, and send them away to an island somewhere with all the crap they love ...we can appoint jeff bezdek to head this initiative...
and then we people that aren't fools can make the city into something good and unique and enjoyable year 'round
for all decent people.

5alive
10-12-2018, 09:33 AM
I am interested in some examples... "make the city into something good and unique and enjoyable year 'round
for all decent people."

Laramie
10-12-2018, 09:34 AM
How bout we just raise money, give it to all the jerks who demand they control the city via their myopic, greed over taste
vision ways, and send them away to an island somewhere with all the crap they love ...we can appoint jeff bezdek to head this initiative...
and then we people that aren't fools can make the city into something good and unique and enjoyable year 'round
for all decent people.

Understand you have some frustration as evident in your post. You can begin by getting involved in the process. Steve, seriously, what would you like to see--be specific.

SouthSide
10-12-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't get the push for a stadium. Stadiums generally have little, if any, economic benefits for local economies.

ChargerAg
10-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Stadium is a terrible idea.

jedicurt
10-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Stadium is a terrible idea.

yep, i would support a replacement for Norick at the Fair Grounds... but not a soccer stadium

Pete
10-12-2018, 10:53 AM
The subject of 'logrolling' is going to come up again.

Generally speaking, higher courts have ruled that you can't pass taxes (and yes, this is a tax) and mix a bunch of separate and distinct items together under one vote.

This is why even with the G.O. Bond there were a bunch of different initiatives that had to be voted on separately.

The way they got around this with MAPS 3 was to merely word the approval as 'capital improvements'. The individual projects were not listed on the ballot but they were absolutely budgeted as put forth in the marketing campaign and then a plan was excecuted around those specific budgets.

So now, we come back up on this issue once more. And people should question why we can't vote on the individual projects. You might want an arena but not a soccer stadium, for example. Or you might want the streetcar expansion but not a cap for I-235.

Right now, I'm sure the plan is to lump everything into one approval but don't be surprised if that approach is challenged in a court of law.

BoulderSooner
10-12-2018, 11:07 AM
That would be a solid waste of both the persons money and cost the taxpayers money. Because there is little doubt that the last maps ballot was completely legal.

hoya
10-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Ultimately we need a master plan for the streetcar that services much of the I-44/I-240/I-35 inner loop of OKC, and that complements the RTA. Right now they should have a working design of how this is all going to fit together. If we're going to have a line that goes out to the zoo, we need to know how that ties into a potential OUHSC line. Each phase of the system needs to both make sense on its own, as well as function as a part of a larger system.

For Maps 4, we should include one phase of a streetcar extension. It should be a part of the proposed projects, but not anywhere near the majority. As baralheia said above, if we make this "Maps 4 Transit", then we probably seriously harm the chances of the RTA being passed when it comes up in a few years. It will create confusion, with many voters thinking they already voted on it. So we should have an extension that is somewhere around $100M,

So let's say the next logical steps for the streetcar all branch off from the downtown line. We could go down Robinson for a Capitol Hill extension. We could go down Reno and then Exchange for a Stockyards City expansion (I'm not sure how you'd incorporate that with the mess that is the Boulevard though). You could go over to the HSC, you could go up Western to a 23rd street line, and possibly all the way up to 63rd. I think you could even go all the way down Western for a line that just services the south side. But we can't do more than one of these extensions with Maps 4. I think we pick one and go with it. My preference would be Capitol Hill, but if people are pushing for an I-235 cap, then there'll probably be pressure for it to be a HSC extension.

TheSteveHunt
10-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Understand you have some frustration as evident in your post. You can begin by getting involved in the process. Steve, seriously, what would you like to see--be specific.

Gimme some time, I'll post something good.

Pete
10-12-2018, 11:16 AM
That would be a solid waste of both the persons money and cost the taxpayers money. Because there is little doubt that the last maps ballot was completely legal.

That's for a court to decide and these things get successfully challenged all the time. While technically legal, the last ballot absolutely violated the spirit of previous court decisions.

How about just insisting that individual projects receive an individual vote?

Why should citizens be forced to make an all-or-nothing choice?

Plutonic Panda
10-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Because the convention center probably would have failed and we needed a new convention center. It’s about compromise, IMO. Not everyone knows what’s good for them. But that logic has its limits, I’d in favor of an all or nothing vote so as long as the public has its input on what is included in the final package.

Hutch
10-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Dream Big? What does Dallas, Denver, Houston, Salt Lake City, Portland, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Oakland and Sacramento have that OKC doesn't? Here's a hint...it's not an NBA Western Division Team.

The one great thing that those cities have that Oklahoma City doesn't have is a regional transit system. If we're looking for something transformational, we won't find a better project to invest our tax dollars in than a comprehensive bus, bus rapid transit, commuter rail, light rail and streetcar system to serve the growing transportation demands of our booming city. If we want to invest in something that is sure to create jobs, spur economic growth and improve the quality of life for all, we need to invest in a regional transit system.

We've worked hard since 2005 to do the planning and studies. We've secured and restored Santa Fe Station as our intermodal hub. We're ready to cut the ribbon on a modern streetcar that will serve as downtown's last-mile distribution mode. And we're about to create a new regional transit authority to manage and operate the regional transit system. There's only one thing left to do. We need to fund the development and operation of the system. At a minimum, that will require a permanent, dedicated 1/2-cent sales tax from all of the participating cities.

Regional transit systems and the RTAs that operate them are funded by sales tax. And history shows that passing a new sales tax initiative is always a challenge, no matter for what the purpose. If MAPS 4 is approved at the full one-cent, it will be extremely difficult to pass an additional 1/2-cent sales tax initiative dedicated to a regional transit system...likely delaying development of that system for at least another decade.

There's probably no better way to continue OKC’s momentum and ensure that it is felt by all than by finding a way to utilize one-half of the MAPS tax to permanently fund OKC's share of a regional transit system. By doing so, we have the opportunity for streetcar extensions to Capital Hill and the Health Sciences Center and up Classen to 63rd...and Commuter Rail between OKC, Edmond, Norman, Midwest City/Tinker, Mustang/Yukon, Fairgrounds, Will Rogers and Adventure District...and BRT or Rapid Streetcar or LIght Rail up Northwest Expressway and Hefner Boulevard...and an expansive new bus system to service the entire metro area.

Now that's thinking Dreaming Big!

catch22
10-12-2018, 11:37 AM
I’d bet if you line itemized the following, that all would fail.

1) Streetcar/Transit expansion
2) Stadium
3) new City animal shelter (I’ve heard a group is lobbying hard for this)
4) Sidewalks and trails
5) citywide trees/beautification

The beauty of maps is that I get what I want and you get what you want, it’s all about working together. With a big city you are going to have a lot of different interests and a citywide vote on each individual interest would mean little or nothing would ever get passed.

BoulderSooner
10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
I disagree. A 1 cent permanent multi city tax is needed for a RTA to work. That needs to pas or fail on its own separate from the MAPS brand. Continued okc specific transit can continue to happen within MAPS

dankrutka
10-12-2018, 11:45 AM
A soccer stadium would not be my preference, but is worth pointing out that a 10,000 to 20,000 seat stadium could be used for lots of things besides soccer, including concerts, high school sports, etc. I still don't like it, but it doesn't have to be imagined as exclusively Energy, right? Or are soccer specific stadiums not conducive to other uses?

Pete
10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
A soccer stadium would not be my preference, but is worth pointing out that a 10,000 to 20,000 seat stadium could be used for lots of things besides soccer, including concerts, high school sports, etc. I still don't like it, but it doesn't have to be imagined as exclusively Energy, right? Or are soccer specific stadiums not conducive to other uses?

We already have stadiums for those things. Bricktown Ballpark, Taft, Speegle, plus nice stadiums at Putnam City (getting ready to have 3 in that district; each of the Edmond schools are getting one as well).

What would a soccer stadium give the city -- other than a soccer stadium -- that we don't already have?

BoulderSooner
10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Keep in mind the Sacramento republic built their 12k stadium for a little over 3 mil. For 5 mil okc could build a very nice short term facility for the energy. And I would support that amount of money in maps 4

Laramie
10-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Pete, agree 100%.

They're capital improvements as one project vs. individual piecemeal projects within an initiative. That was the MAPS theme once the projects were under the umbrella of projects on a Capital Improvement Initiative--all or nothing.

Recall the late 60s when OKC attempted to get the convention center approved thru individual bond issue voting as separate initiatives--everything failed. The Myriad was approved after we lost the NFR to Las Vegas. Even then it was downsized b/c $23 million budgeted for the convention center was initially structured as a 15,000 seat arena with 100,000 sq. ft exhibit hall and some smaller meeting areas. OKC's Myriad could seat 14,005 for basketball at max.

We didn't have the hotels to accommodate luring any significant conventions; plus our dreams for the NCAA Final 4 became less competitive after cities like Greensboro had expanded their venues to accommodate 23,000, some cities like Louisville's 18,000 seat Freedom Hall could present a better package to the NCAA tourney committee. Now you need a dome to host the NCAA Final 4 because the interest & commercial benefits are staggering.

We did better with the downtown arena; initially planned to accommodate 19,555 for basketball; later downsized to 18,203, it almost got scrapped by Mayor Kirk Humphreys b/c we didn't budget enough in MAPS I to complete all projects w/o an extension. Mayor Humphreys commented that we couldn't fill the Myriad; why do we need a 19,555 seat arena; he did eventually convinced voters pass the extension.

David Holt wants us to think BIG--stop half the half steps where we fall short. He recognizes what it will take to move OKC to the next level; we are on course...

As for the stadium; there will be other events (Think outside the box) a stadium will be able to lure and use for gatherings & spectaculars. Pro-soccer will be the primary anchor tenant--partner with the Funks to fund help fund 50% of this project.

Pete, Taft was a nice historical restoration project; it doesn't meet the current requirements for USL soccer.

OKC loses out on events b/c when we don't plan to be a long term competitor; instead we cater to the average or status-quo.

Please forget the long-winded comments. http://rs6.pbsrc.com/albums/y209/andywayne/Emoticons/backtotopic.gif~c200