View Full Version : Ideas 4 MAPS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

PaddyShack
11-19-2018, 09:45 AM
I think the city was wise in having their hands in the baseball stadium and CHK Arena. It's obvious for the thunder, but the usage rate for baseball games is also incredibly high. 80 days a year the baseball stadium is being used. minimum 41 for the thunder not including playoffs and all the concerts.

Investing in a soccer stadium would be tough because of the low usage rate. Energy only had 17 home games with an average of 4298 (which is extremely generous). They had an interest in Taft because of it being used for football games too. If it's under $30 million for a small stadium then I would probably be on board. even more on board that if it expanded the owners pay for expansion. I just can't see the city really investing in a venue that only has 17 minimum nights booked with an extremely sub-par talent league.

Woah there, the talent in USL is not as bad as you put it. I agree that the owners should be funding the majority, if not the entire stadium. But to say the talent is "sub-par" is just not true. The Energy had 3 players capped for international duty this past year, with two still being capped in this past international spell. The league itself draws players from many nations other than the US, with many young players going onto to MLS and other top leagues in their home nations. Just because the USL is the second division doesn't mean it is sub-par. If the US had an open system I would bet that 3 or 4 of the current USL teams would definitely be in the MLS right now. The USL exists because not everybody can play in the MLS. There are some great clubs in the USL and the league is working on making a true pyramid system that would allow clubs to get into better competitions as they grow. I know the USL isn't on TV all of the time, but all games are on ESPN+ with some games on ESPN2 or what not.

jedicurt
11-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Woah there, the talent in USL is not as bad as you put it. I agree that the owners should be funding the majority, if not the entire stadium. But to say the talent is "sub-par" is just not true. The Energy had 3 players capped for international duty this past year, with two still being capped in this past international spell. The league itself draws players from many nations other than the US, with many young players going onto to MLS and other top leagues in their home nations. Just because the USL is the second division doesn't mean it is sub-par. If the US had an open system I would bet that 3 or 4 of the current USL teams would definitely be in the MLS right now. The USL exists because not everybody can play in the MLS. There are some great clubs in the USL and the league is working on making a true pyramid system that would allow clubs to get into better competitions as they grow. I know the USL isn't on TV all of the time, but all games are on ESPN+ with some games on ESPN2 or what not.

you are arguing with walls when you try and make these types of statements... if it isn't top league, then people here just dont want to care... i tried to bring up the same Argument about the AHL... and there have now been 1 players from the Barons who have gone on to play significant time in Stanley Cup playoff games... and 4 play in Stanley Cup Final games (and another was a backup goalie, so didn't play)... but alas... it was the sub-par league with sub-par talent

Richard at Remax
11-19-2018, 10:39 AM
The NBA is the best of the best. AAA Baseball is probably the 2nd best talent. AHL hockey was probably 3rd to 5th. I remember when the NHL had it's lockout and the Barons might have had the best team in the world for a month or so. Those games we're awesome and the attendance was pretty solid.

Where does MLS land? Is it even in top 10 leagues in the world? In the USL there are some good players here and there but as a whole it's very lacking.

It reminds me of pro golf. Obviously the best of the best are on the PGA tour. Then you have web.com, mackenzie tour, ect. Those golfers int he smaller tours are scratch golfers and would thump any of us. But the tournaments crowds and purses pretty small. People want to see the best of the best.

The Energy are, for the most part, cheap family fun. But you can't fault someone for not wanting to spend $$$ to go see them when the overall talent level just isn't there.

Laramie
11-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Don't think for one moment if Oklahoma City builds a soccer specific stadium that it will be used for only 17 days; city needs to build something to get the ball rolling. A city-owned venue will allow the city to have more say & control of its use.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/warehouse/getpubliccontent?contentId=d1abd26c-2425-4f35-a5f2-44ce483cc893
There are the high schools football playoffs; our local school are at a disadvantage having to travel to Chapman Stadium at TU. If you build something in the 25,000-seat range you'd be surprised at what other events you will attract with chair back seats. If suites are needed have them available for a tenant to construct.

OKC now has the amenities (hotels, reputable restaurants, eating establishments downtown that we didn't posses before 2000.

Mayor Holt has gone on record with an invitation to Funk-McLaughlin (d-usa post #405) with an invite to Funk about a soccer stadium--hope we can agree on some support from the city. Would like to see OKC do something big that will be a precursor to other attractions.

Previous post #415 about stadiums in Edinburg, TX a USL city with less than 100,000 that uses its SS stadium for multiple uses and USL Louisville with plans for a stadium that will be used for multiple events.

You're not going to attract anything if you don't have a venue--OKC has got to start somewhere.

Jersey Boss
11-19-2018, 01:42 PM
MLS is not the NBA, MLB, NHL, or NFL. MLS would be a second level league in England, Germany, Spain etc. Consequently the USL is double A or single A when comparing it to the gold standard of soccer leagues on the worlds stage.

gopokes88
11-19-2018, 01:59 PM

I don’t follow soccer closely enough but I’ve heard some soccer guys who I trust say that the usl may ultimately pass the mls because the ownership and league model is superior to the mls. It may be tier 2 in American soccer but things can change. The ABA dominated the nba until it didn’t.

PaddyShack
11-19-2018, 02:29 PM
MLS is not the NBA, MLB, NHL, or NFL. MLS would be a second level league in England, Germany, Spain etc. Consequently the USL is double A or single A when comparing it to the gold standard of soccer leagues on the worlds stage.

The main reason why MLS is a poor league is because it is a closed system. There is no real incentive to invest money into youth programs to develop young players to be better that could then lead a club into the top flight or be sold to a bigger club else. That and the fact the MLS play on the opposite schedule of most of the rest of the world doesn't help with transfers. The current soccer culture in the US, as in MLS and US Soccer, is more about money then refining the talent and improving the sport. Leagues like the USL, UPSL, and NPSL are doing things more for the betterment of the sport in the US. The USL has taken the step of beefing up the professional game to create a strong tier 2 league system in the USL Championship, along with the new USL League 1 and League 2 leagues, we should start to see a move towards an open system. Whether MLS chooses to alter course and listen to the fan base in the future will decide the fate of MLS and who comes out on top as the top tier of US soccer.

Jersey Boss
11-19-2018, 02:36 PM
I don’t follow soccer closely enough but I’ve heard some soccer guys who I trust say that the usl may ultimately pass the mls because the ownership and league model is superior to the mls. It may be tier 2 in American soccer but things can change. The ABA dominated the nba until it didn’t.

The ABA never dominated the NBA, and I was a fan of the Nets when Dr. J was a member of the team. The 4 ABA teams that went to the NBA had to pay a huge admittance fee and the Nets were hit twice as hard as they had to pay an indemnity fee to the Knicks for being in their territory. The ABA had some great stars and was entertaining but the league champion was never as good as the NBA champion.
The 3 point fg was an innovation that the ABA pioneered.

Jersey Boss
11-19-2018, 02:41 PM
The main reason why MLS is a poor league is because it is a closed system. There is no real incentive to invest money into youth programs to develop young players to be better that could then lead a club into the top flight or be sold to a bigger club else. That and the fact the MLS play on the opposite schedule of most of the rest of the world doesn't help with transfers. The current soccer culture in the US, as in MLS and US Soccer, is more about money then refining the talent and improving the sport. Leagues like the USL, UPSL, and NPSL are doing things more for the betterment of the sport in the US. The USL has taken the step of beefing up the professional game to create a strong tier 2 league system in the USL Championship, along with the new USL League 1 and League 2 leagues, we should start to see a move towards an open system. Whether MLS chooses to alter course and listen to the fan base in the future will decide the fate of MLS and who comes out on top as the top tier of US soccer.
Until the sport is embraced by youth across the socio-economic spectrum, the sport will have a hard time in this country. Youth club soccer is largely made up of kids whose parents can afford to take them around the state and region to play. When was the last time you heard High School soccer results on the 10 o clock news?

PaddyShack
11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Until the sport is embraced by youth across the socio-economic spectrum, the sport will have a hard time in this country. Youth club soccer is largely made up of kids whose parents can afford to take them around the state and region to play. When was the last time you heard High School soccer results on the 10 o clock news?

I agree that the Pay To Play system that has been created and allowed to grow is absurd. But kids can pick up a soccer ball and go play out in the street or neighborhood park or in the alley way with friends and become well adverse in the sport. Look at many of the greats both past and present and the majority of them came from nothing. Most outstanding players come from nothing, in any sport. For them, the only thing they have is a soccer ball, or basketball, etc. For the Energy, and the ownership group, one of their biggest goals for the community at large is to clean up sports fields and to install new courts for area youth to utilize. If the MLS teams were not so focused on college athletes or their draft, we might see more scouts show up to youth club soccer.

But when you look at big clubs throughout the world they all have youth systems for players of all ages. The only restriction I believe they have to follow is that the kids need to be residents or citizens of the country the club is in.

citywokchinesefood
11-19-2018, 04:34 PM
I would really enjoy a BASEketball court, I used to play it with friends in Norman during college. You can certainly use a regulation basketball court and simply use chalk, but it would be something really fun and definitely a unique outdoor space in OKC that wouldn't cost a lot in the grand scheme of MAPS 4.

***For those of you unfamiliar with Baseketball, it is a sport inspired by 90s comedy Baseketball. It combines rules from both Basketball and Baseball and is genuinely a great time to play with friends. It is pretty approachable for most people to play and have a good time doing so.

<a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ieUp88iL8>Trailer for Baseketball</a>

mugofbeer
11-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Maybe I'm wrong and I know it's not as big as football but soccer is now pretty much integrated into school sports. Most bigger high schools have teams and, because of football, it's probably bigger as a women's sport and Hispanic/Asian than overall men's. Regarding the 10PM news, they do report it here in Denver but not like football with helicopters going from game to game. There are simply priorities ahead of soccer.

Johnb911
11-20-2018, 07:59 AM
lol at the Maps 4 Ideas thread becoming a pro/rel discussion.

TheSteveHunt
11-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Promotion and Relegations only occur in sensible countries that don't give sports franchises exemptions from anti-trust laws..

Johnb911
11-21-2018, 07:00 AM
No one is stopping any league or collection of leagues from banding together and instituting promotion and relegation. If that's what the collection of owners wants to do, then by all means, they are free to go and do it.

PaddyShack
11-21-2018, 07:03 AM
No one is stopping any league or collection of leagues from banding together and instituting promotion and relegation. If that's what the collection of owners wants to do, then by all means, they are free to go and do it.

No, but that is not the issue. The issue is that US Soccer doesn't make a true soccer pyramid and force Pro/Rel on the leagues. Of course owners don't want Pro/Rel, it keeps them from having to really invest in their team in order to stay in the top flight.

Johnb911
11-21-2018, 08:00 AM
Likewise, it forces them into a situation with the potential for drastic devaluation of their investments, investments they made under completely different circumstances. But I digress. I was mainly just answering Mr. Hunt's assertion that pro/rel wasn't possible in this country due to exemption from anti-trust laws.

I would love to see promotion and relegation in US soccer, if for no other reason that it is so distinctly different from the rest of the US sports landscape that I think the appeal would be massive, and continue to 'grow the game' here. I don't, however, think it's some magical elixir to help us win the world cup, nor do I think it should necessarily be mandated from on high. At least not right now.

TheSteveHunt
11-21-2018, 09:19 AM
I think MAPS 4 should focus on other things, however I would be willing to compromise
and make a downloadable copy available for all residents of Football Manager 2019 (https://www.footballmanager.com)
on okc dot gov.

John brings up a good point how our country is so willing to protect interests of the wealthy, all the while demanding everyone
else participate in competitive, free market rules.... o0f

Johnb911
11-21-2018, 01:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Laramie
11-21-2018, 04:40 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Saryarka_Velodrome_(inside).JPG
An Oklahoma City all purpose Velodrome on the riverfront or State Fair Park could be used for other purposes; include an Olympic size pool.

Laramie
11-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Thought provoking question(s):

Wish we could come up with some kind of all multipurpose indoor venue capable of handling year-round attractions & events, soccer, high school basketball & football positioned in a location where all of the city would benefit.

Wouldn't necessarily need a dome; however some kind of indoor structure with a flexible maximum seating capacity of up to 25,000 that could be partitioned off (upper-deck) to accommodate smaller events.

Do we focus (invest) on transit like the streetcars or building venues to accommodate the most inexpensive means to achieve this goal or a combination of both?

5alive
11-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Since the State Fair is now an area dedicated to livestock and horse shows with many barns and metal buildings why not build the new "Jim Norick Arena" in a new location (not sure where) and expand upon it with your ideas from the above post.

jedicurt
11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Since the State Fair is now an area dedicated to livestock and horse shows with many barns and metal buildings why not build the new "Jim Norick Arena" in a new location (not sure where) and expand upon it with your ideas from the above post.

because the new "Jim Norick Arena" is mainly about horse shows and livestock, with ability to handle other events when free... so it wouldn't make since to put it in a different location

Laramie
12-07-2018, 11:33 AM
https://media1.fdncms.com/okgazette/imager/u/blog/5220553/taft_stadium.jpg?cb=1543960713
A new stadium for Oklahoma City Energy Football Club is one of the proposed initiatives for the fourth Metropolitan Area Projects (MAPS) plan.

“This is our time to write the next chapter in Oklahoma City’s story,” Holt said in a MAPS video posted on the city’s website. “It is time to talk about MAPS 4 and dream big again.”

Since October, Holt said he has received a little over 1,000 ideas from community members, and while an advisory board exists to review MAPS 3 projects, no such board has been created to assess ideas for MAPS 4 so far.

Oklahoma Gazette - Drawing MAPS: https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/drawing-maps/Content?oid=5220549

The city’s Better Streets, Safer City initiative launched in 2017 and the temporary sales tax incorporated through the project will expire in Spring 2020, Holt said.

“We’ll dedicate 2019 to planning and 2020 to executing our plans,” Holt said. “2020 is right around the corner.”

OKCRT
12-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I think it would be a bad idea to put a stadium on there if they want to continue the maps program. This is not the Maps for Billionaires program.

Plutonic Panda
12-07-2018, 12:10 PM
I am excited to see what proposals they will take under consideration.

Richard at Remax
12-07-2018, 12:11 PM
I've said my peace on this, but to read that article and see that the two pictures that were used were soccer related makes me think it's inevitable. Which means I will be voting No.

PaddyShack
12-07-2018, 01:21 PM
I've said my peace on this, but to read that article and see that the two pictures that were used were soccer related makes me think it's inevitable. Which means I will be voting No.

Those pics are old from before Taft was renovated. I hope we don't go city owned stadium. I want real grass and no weird configurations for other events.

hoya
12-07-2018, 01:27 PM

If you're going to vote "No" because of the inclusion of a single project that you don't like, then I've got bad news for you. I can basically guarantee that you will dislike at least one of the things on the ballot.

jedicurt
12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
If you're going to vote "No" because of the inclusion of a single project that you don't like, then I've got bad news for you. I can basically guarantee that you will dislike at least one of the things on the ballot.

yep... while i don't want a soccer stadium... if it has massive expansion of street car, bike trails, and over-all walk ability and transportation improvements, i'm going to vote yes.

TheSteveHunt
12-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Holt ranting about Trump in that NYT piece was really odd. He dislikes the man, but has no issues with the things that put him into power. Stadium Swindles is no doubt high on the list.

jedicurt
12-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Holt ranting about Trump in that NYT piece was really odd. He dislikes the man, but has no issues with the things that put him into power. Stadium Swindles is no doubt high on the list.

what are you even talking about?

TheSteveHunt
12-07-2018, 02:05 PM
what are you even talking about?

A few days ago there was an NYT piece on Kendra Holt's victory...in it Holt said some negative things about Trump. That is good. But I do not think the many things that led to Trump winning are of great concern to David....

stlokc
12-07-2018, 02:22 PM
I watched that NYT video twice because I thought it was so interesting. I actually think Mayor Holt's comments were spot on - I can't even count the number of people I know who have always considered themselves Republicans but are disenchanted with the modern GOP. One of the primary reasons that Kendra Horn won was the defection of the moderate, urban/suburban population away from the Republican Party. He was explaining that as OKC has gotten younger, better educated and more diverse, the county is getting purpler and purpler. I appreciated that it showed that OKC, far from being the outlet politically among cities in the U.S., is actually in line with modern trends. Local Republican politicians should take note.

stlokc
12-07-2018, 02:23 PM
* I meant to write "outlier," not "outlet." Sorry.

OKCRT
12-07-2018, 03:17 PM
yep... while i don't want a soccer stadium... if it has massive expansion of street car, bike trails, and over-all walk ability and transportation improvements, i'm going to vote yes.

It doesn't matter. If a stadium in one of the projects you will see a bunch of no votes just because of that. A new arena for the Thunder I think you would get huge support for when the time comes. But a stadium for minor league soccer that 95% of the people in OKC don't care about would not be wise IMO. We will see but the one constant thing I hear with Maps 4 is a soccer stadium. If they put a 10 million dollar price tag on it then people prob. won't care so much. But a real up to date modern stadium is going to go way past 10 mil. I just don't think there's enough people in OKC that care about minor league soccer. I think it would struggle to pass even if it was MLS.

Laramie
12-07-2018, 09:47 PM
2020: MAPS 4 extension vote.

Residents can submit their ideas on the city's website: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4

d-usa
12-08-2018, 08:29 AM
I think the important thing for a stadium would be to really build it, and market it, as a city owned multi-purpose stadium. The Energy can pay rent and play there, but it shouldn’t be “their” soccer stadium.

It could host many different sport events: the Energy, high school soccer and football, state soccer tournaments, and a venue for outdoor concerts, graduations, and whatever else you can fit in there.

Laramie
12-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Ideas 4 MAPS is a vehicle designed for voters to submit what they want to see on the 2020 MAPS 4 initiative extension. We know everyone will NOT get EVERYTHING they want when the extension comes up for a vote.

Those of you who are against a stadium; just curious--what would you like to see; what ideas have you submitted?

d-usa
12-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Stadium for me would also depend on location of course.

I think other options for me would be for walkability improvements, another senior center, parks, and I’m unsure about anything streetcar related.

redhardy
12-08-2018, 02:32 PM
It doesn't matter. If a stadium in one of the projects you will see a bunch of no votes just because of that. A new arena for the Thunder I think you would get huge support for when the time comes. But a stadium for minor league soccer that 95% of the people in OKC don't care about would not be wise IMO. We will see but the one constant thing I hear with Maps 4 is a soccer stadium. If they put a 10 million dollar price tag on it then people prob. won't care so much. But a real up to date modern stadium is going to go way past 10 mil. I just don't think there's enough people in OKC that care about minor league soccer. I think it would struggle to pass even if it was MLS.

We know you are against it OKCRT .. stating that 95% are against/don't care it is ridiculously unfounded. A modern stadium for ULS/MLS will always be about field size and a phased approach where the state puts funds in and is matched/exceeded by the Energy (or the state puts the majority in and the Energy lease the stadium over a 10 year period providing ROI).

OKCRT
12-08-2018, 04:50 PM
We know you are against it OKCRT .. stating that 95% are against/don't care it is ridiculously unfounded. A modern stadium for ULS/MLS will always be about field size and a phased approach where the state puts funds in and is matched/exceeded by the Energy (or the state puts the majority in and the Energy lease the stadium over a 10 year period providing ROI).

We are talking about building a stadium on the tax payers dime so team owners can collect the profits from games being played there. Are the tax payers also going to be on the hook for maintenance and future upgrades? This is a MAPS project.

d-usa
12-08-2018, 05:35 PM
The team owners pay rent, as would any other event being held there.

Same as the Arena downtown.

Laramie
12-08-2018, 06:01 PM
We are talking about building a stadium on the tax payers dime so team owners can collect the profits from games being played there. Are the tax payers also going to be on the hook for maintenance and future upgrades? This is a MAPS project.

Any facility built, financed & owned by the city must have an anchor tenant; this gives OKC total autonomy--the final say on events staged. These facilities like the Civic Center Music Hall (Oklahoma City Symphony & Ballet), Chesapeake Energy Arena (Oklahoma City Thunder), Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark (Oklahoma City Dodgers), ASA Softball Hall Of Fame Stadium (WCWS World Series) and the Oklahoma City Zoo are owned by the City of Oklahoma City.

The facilities provide quality entertainment & quality of life events that boost our city's national profile and add to our city's tax base thru the economic impact it will have on visitors, tourists and guests who spend new outside money into our local economy.

MLS has a national tv contract with ESPN who also showcases the Women's College World Series. The spotlight cast on our city by the Thunder, Women's College World Series and potential benefits USL/MLS could bring to OKC are immeasurable. An owner who is willing to invest $150-$200 million in an MLS franchise that bears our city's name; could use some help. The stadium like our arena will be used for other events.

Again, OKCRT; what items did you submit: Ideas 4 MAPS--you seem to avoid an answer that question...

Laramie
12-08-2018, 06:17 PM

That's the purpose of a rent/lease agreement with an anchor tenant. If you own a duplex, generally the owner is responsible for upgrades unless the lease agreement stipulates otherwise.

There will be other potential MLS tenants (expansion/relocation) who may want to own a franchise in OKC; however we prefer local ownership for stability.

Recall how we obtained the NBA Oklahoma City Thunder.

OKCRT
12-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Minor League Soccer stadium most likely over 100 mil all said and done. Can not even begin to compare this with the NBA.

gopokes88
12-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Minor League Soccer stadium most likely over 100 mil all said and done. Can not even begin to compare this with the NBA.

By the time we need a new nba arena you’re looking at billion

Laramie
12-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Rio Grande Valley Toros just opened a 9,400-seat soccer-specific stadium (March 22, 2017) in Edinburg, Texas for $30 million. We paid more for the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark $34 million in 1995; ($51.1 million in 2017 dollars).

Again, OKCRT; what items did you submit: Ideas 4 MAPS--you seem to avoid an answer that question..

I'll answer that question for you. Admit it, you haven't submitted anything.

mugofbeer
12-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Denver built a very nice soccer stadium for what would be about $90 million in todays dollars. lt holds about 18000 fir soccer and 27000 for concerts. Key is that it is within a huge soccer complex of lighted fields. This could easily be don on the south side of the fairgrounds.

mugofbeer
12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Denver built a very nice soccer stadium for what would be about $90 million in todays dollars. lt holds about 18000 for soccer and 27000 for concerts. Key is that it is within a huge soccer complex of lighted fields. This could easily be don on the south side of the fairgrounds.

OKCRT
12-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Rio Grande Valley Toros just opened a 9,400-seat soccer-specific stadium (March 22, 2017) in Edinburg, Texas for $30 million. We paid more for the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark $34 million in 1995; ($51.1 million in 2017 dollars).

Again, OKCRT; what items did you submit: Ideas 4 MAPS--you seem to avoid an answer that question..

I'll answer that question for you. Admit it, you haven't submitted anything.

No, I haven't submitted anything yet.

Laramie
12-09-2018, 11:45 AM
City of Oklahoma City have given its voters a voice on what you want to see on future MAPS initiatives.

We approved a new stadium to keep minor league AAA baseball in a Bricktown setting that created a new district with the addition of the canal.

Mugofbeer mentioned the soccer specific stadium built in Commerce City for the Colorado Rapids (Denver area) for $90 million in today's currency. OKC could probably build a larger venue on city-owned land for under $100 million. Build a venue with the capability to expand and add a roof,

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e9hcQ-Pshgs/UYZPWn6NnQI/AAAAAAAAGFI/kTFn1R0MKHw/s1600/Elche050513a.jpg

Propose that if we build a stadium let's think big--build a 25,000-seat chair back seats/cup holders venue; 15,000 lower bowl with 10,000 upper deck that can be closed off when not in use. Why 25,000; ULS/MLS soccer, bring back the State high school 6-A playoffs, college football--Langston vs. Lincoln, Grambling, Southern, Prairie View A&M, college bowl classic for Div., I or II, major motor cross, bicycle course, concerts and large gatherings.

OKCRT
12-09-2018, 03:33 PM
City of Oklahoma City have given its voters a voice on what you want to see on future MAPS initiatives.

We approved a new stadium to keep minor league AAA baseball in a Bricktown setting that created a new district with the addition of the canal.

Mugofbeer mentioned the soccer specific stadium built in Commerce City for the Colorado Rapids (Denver area) for $90 million in today's currency. OKC could probably build a larger venue on city-owned land for under $100 million. Build a venue with the capability to expand and add a roof,

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e9hcQ-Pshgs/UYZPWn6NnQI/AAAAAAAAGFI/kTFn1R0MKHw/s1600/Elche050513a.jpg

Propose that if we build a stadium let's think big--build a 25,000-seat chair back seats/cup holders venue; 15,000 lower bowl with 10,000 upper deck that can be closed off when not in use. Why 25,000; ULS/MLS soccer, bring back the State high school 6-A playoffs, college football--Langston vs. Lincoln, Grambling, Southern, Prairie View A&M, college bowl classic for Div., I or II, major motor cross, bicycle course, concerts and large gatherings.

If this were for MLS I would 100% support it. It appears that MLS will go beyond 28 teams and right now it's around $100 mil. fee to join. I would imagine that fee will go higher so if OKC has the people that want to own a team hopefully they could get on the short list. If you get a promise of MLS then you build a first class stadium. I think the new Stadium in Stl is going to cost 200 mil+ and team owners are paying for it. Think the city/state is going to donate land and they will get some tax breaks. I think it would be great if OKC could get a promise for a team then put forth the stadium on maps.

If they could work that out then you go after one of the new XFL teams and have another tenant for spring football.

David
12-10-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm waiting on public polling before I say a hard yay or nay on a soccer stadium. I'm not going to assume the city as a whole doesn't want it since we have no stats on that at all.

gopokes88
12-10-2018, 12:18 PM
I'm waiting on public polling before I say a hard yay or nay on a soccer stadium. I'm not going to assume the city as a whole doesn't want it since we have no stats on that at all.
I would assume it’s likely the opposite and people on this site are a very vocal echo chamber minority.

The fact is OKC is a pretty sports crazed city and will likely want to invest in a soccer stadium.

And it’s a good investment. Sports teams are status symbols for city’s. And right now okc is extremely fortunate to have an nba team, which is the fastest growing league, and has the brightest future. We aren’t getting an nfl, mls, nhl team. Investing in soccer, a sport that is growing rapidly and will continue to do so, positions us very well in the future if soccer becomes the 5th major sport. (It’s got a ways to go to catch up to the nfl, nba, mlb, and nhl)

onthestrip
12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
If this were for MLS I would 100% support it. It appears that MLS will go beyond 28 teams and right now it's around $100 mil. fee to join. I would imagine that fee will go higher so if OKC has the people that want to own a team hopefully they could get on the short list. If you get a promise of MLS then you build a first class stadium. I think the new Stadium in Stl is going to cost 200 mil+ and team owners are paying for it. Think the city/state is going to donate land and they will get some tax breaks. I think it would be great if OKC could get a promise for a team then put forth the stadium on maps.

If they could work that out then you go after one of the new XFL teams and have another tenant for spring football.

I agree. If for an MLS team, lets do it. But for a minor league soccer team, it better be a cheap component of MAPS 4 because I dont have much desire to pay for a stadium that gets a couple thousand people a handful of times a year for soccer games. Now if the OSSAA can get involved a bit and guarantee a certain amount of use for high school events, that would help do some convincing that it should be included in MAPS.
Frankly, I dont see a local stepping up to the plate to buy a MLS franchise, if we could even be awarded one in the first place.

David
12-10-2018, 04:09 PM
We didn't have a team when we built a basketball arena, and getting the Thunder arguably only happened because New Orleans was hit by Katrina which roundabout led to an environment where the the NBA started taking OKC seriously. An MLS team likely wouldn't require an actual Act of God to arrange.

Pryor Tiger
12-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Isn't Bob Funk extremely interested in being the owner of a MLS franchise? I'm sure there are enough $ people in OKC that would go in on it. Thinking 1.5 million in OKC and 1 million in Tulsa, we could create quite a bit of interest for a fan base. Much of the schedule runs contrary to NBA also!

Midtowner
12-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Isn't Bob Funk extremely interested in being the owner of a MLS franchise? I'm sure there are enough $ people in OKC that would go in on it. Thinking 1.5 million in OKC and 1 million in Tulsa, we could create quite a bit of interest for a fan base. Much of the schedule runs contrary to NBA also!

I'm sure Funk is very interested in a franchise so long as he doesn't have to pay for it.

jedicurt
12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
We didn't have a team when we built a basketball arena, and getting the Thunder arguably only happened because New Orleans was hit by Katrina which roundabout led to an environment where the the NBA started taking OKC seriously. An MLS team likely wouldn't require an actual Act of God to arrange.

we built it with a tenant in mind... it just wasn't basketball... the city was basically told that if they build it, the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL would move here... and their ownership then used us building are arena to get Glendale to build their new arena.