View Full Version : Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

Laramie
09-30-2018, 03:54 PM
NBA arenas' built since 1990 all possess the amenities to maintain an NBA franchise for a very long time. OKC funded the shell of its arena with hopes to lure an NHL franchise (expansion/relocation) in 1993 with the MAPS initiative that budgeted $89 million for construction.

https://localtvkfor.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/thunder-arena-changes-door.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Chesapeake Energy Arena (2002)

Like the New Orleans Arena, the new facility in Oklahoma City would have to wait several seasons for an NBA franchise to come fill it, although how it came to lure the Seattle SuperSonics in 2008 was one of the great ironies in NBA arena history. Like Oklahoma City, New Orleans had its arena built and opened years before an NBA team would come play there. But after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the New Orleans Hornets were displaced, and turned to Oklahoma City to be a temporary home for two seasons. The Hornets were an enormous success at Chesapeake Energy Arena, so much so that Oklahoma City leapt to the forefront of potential landing spots for an expansion or relocating franchise. That came to pass when the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City in 2008.--NBA Arenas, Oldest to Newest: https://arenadigest.com/2017/10/12/nba-arenas-oldest-newest/

Chesapeake Energy Arena (Expansion, Upgrades & Renovations):

2009:

Upgraded lighting and finishes on the upper-level concourse (aka “LoudCity”)
New Terrace Suites and Lounges on the club level
New telescopic (retractable) and upgraded seating in the lower bowl
State-of-the-art scoreboard and production facilities
Locker room renovations

Additions & improvements that were made during this final phase include:

The new grand entry with a multi-story atrium.
A new 75’ wide x 21’ tall exterior video display on the north face of the facility.
New restaurants and lounges. (View renderings of additions to the Cox Club Level)
A family fun zone.
Team offices and expanded locker rooms.

Upcoming repairs & renovation:

$8.9 million for repairs & renovation of Chesapeake Energy Arena--approved by voters in September 12, 2017 general obligation bond election.

Sources:
Chesapeake Energy Arena Improvements: https://www.chesapeakearena.com/about-the-arena/improvements
The Official Site of the Oklahoma City Thunder: Arena & Facilities: https://www.nba.com/thunder/10/arena
Oklahoma City voters approve bond, sales tax measures: https://newsok.com/article/5563872/voters-decide-bond-sales-tax-measures

pure
09-30-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure why this never gets much exposure, but a couple years ago, the house PA was upgraded to an adaptive system from EAW and installed by local guys, Ford AV.

http://eaw.com/docs/9_Media/Case_Studies/CaseStudies-ChesapeakeArena.pdf

Laramie
10-07-2018, 03:20 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/arena100618.jpg
Chesapeake Energy Arena's re-roofing is nearly complete; should be ready for the NBA 2018-19 season. Pic via OKCTalk forum 10-06-2018 http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23863&page=57

OKCRT
10-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Having never been to BOK in Tulsa which arena is nicer ? Peake or BOK? Which one has the better sound system for concerts?

PhiAlpha
10-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Having never been to BOK in Tulsa which arena is nicer ? Peake or BOK? Which one has the better sound system for concerts?

The Peake is nicer in every way and for everything other than the exterior though the upgraded south entrance closed the gap a bit in that regard.

Pete
10-09-2018, 06:08 AM
^

Yes, with the new boulevard, Omni, convention center, park and everything else to the south, the new southwest entrance will finally be a focal point and give a completely different impression to visitors.

And if something fun and cool (like a great Thunder store / sports bar) in the spot directly south, that area will be even more of focus.

d-usa
10-09-2018, 06:53 AM
With Reno being the “main” road, the nice entrance always felt like the back of the arena.

Bullbear
10-09-2018, 12:55 PM
I have been searching for the pic but cant find it now. but a friend posted a pic one night of the peake and it appeared to be testing some new lighting. like search light style beacons shooting up. has anyone else seen this? I know when it first opened it had some "search" light style lighting on poles at each corner but I don't think they were functional for even a year.

BG918
10-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Is that the streetcar stop for the arena across Robinson? If so will there be a mid-block crossing there or do people have to go to the Boulevard and cross to get to the main entrance?

PhiAlpha
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
^

Yes, with the new boulevard, Omni, convention center, park and everything else to the south, the new southwest entrance will finally be a focal point and give a completely different impression to visitors.

And if something fun and cool (like a great Thunder store / sports bar) in the spot directly south, that area will be even more of focus.

Yep. To add to my post, the interior of the BOK isn't bad but it seems like only a slight upgrade over what the Peake interior was before the completion of the MAPS upgrades that were passed to bring the Sonics here. The interior (both the concourses and arena) is light years ahead now.

baralheia
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Is that the streetcar stop for the arena across Robinson? If so will there be a mid-block crossing there or do people have to go to the Boulevard and cross to get to the main entrance?

The main Arena stop is just across Reno from the north entrance of the 'Peake. You could use the Scissortail Park station too, to use the south entrance; you'd just have to cross Robinson at the Boulevard (that intersection is super close to the streetcar stop).

hfry
10-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Just to piggy back what baralheia said here is a map of the streetcar stops. Little old but nothing should have changed 14954

dankrutka
10-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Agree with everything in thread about BOK-Peake except for the exterior. The BOK architecture is world class. It’s stunning. It looks like an alien ship dropped in downtown Tulsa. No part of the Peake exterior is close. There’s nothing wrong with the Peake exterior. It’s just not in the same league IMHO.

jonny d
10-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Agree with everything in thread about BOK-Peake except for the exterior. The BOK architecture is world class. It’s stunning. It looks like an alien ship dropped in downtown Tulsa. No part of the Peake exterior is close. There’s nothing wrong with the Peake exterior. It’s just not in the same league IMHO.
Eh, it's a poor mans Sprint Center. And the not so good interior takes a lot away from the exterior.

PhiAlpha
10-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Hey now, I gave the BOK exterior it’s nod over the Peake! :tongue: I just meant that the Peake renovation closed the gap a bit. BOK still a good deal prettier on the outside, though with the whole Bricktown theme, I think the Peake fits OKC. Though with the library, Devon, BOK tower, and other more modern buildings that have been built since, a design like the BOK would fit better now than it would’ve 15 years ago.

dankrutka
10-09-2018, 09:48 PM
It's no shade on the Peake. It's a good arena that has many advantages over the BOK. Just not on the exterior. And I I like the Sprint Center too, but I'll still take the BOK. My favorite arena I've visited recently is Golden One in Sacramento. Just my opinion.

kukblue1
10-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Only been in BOK a few times but to me the thing I liked better on the inside is more room to eat. Meaning it's wider in spots which allows for more tables. I would like the peak to turn that one area that is wider where they used to have cars parked into more of a dining area with stand up tables.

5alive
10-10-2018, 08:53 AM
I love the density around the Golden1

HangryHippo
10-10-2018, 09:00 AM
I love the Sprint Center's design. Also, the new Chase Center in SF looks like it will be awesome.

borchard
04-10-2019, 11:28 AM
How many more years do people think it will be before we see the first press conference stating, "...The Thunder need a new arena to stay successful?..."

BoulderSooner
04-10-2019, 11:40 AM
How many more years do people think it will be before we see the first press conference stating, "...The Thunder need a new arena to stay successful?..."

as long as the city continue to keep the peake current (you can bet that 10-30 mil for the peake will be in the next MAPS/GOBOND) and does things like the new thunder alley ... the longer we can push that date into the future ..

Richard at Remax
04-10-2019, 12:04 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the Peake is here to stay for a long time. MSG in NYC has been in the same spot since the late 60s and it's been renovated numerous times.

SEMIweather
04-13-2019, 06:26 PM
I think the Peake can probably last another 10-20 years, but to me it just feels cramped every time I go to an event there.

dankrutka
04-13-2019, 08:00 PM
I think the Peake can probably last another 10-20 years, but to me it just feels cramped every time I go to an event there.

Cramped in what way?

Yeah, this idea of having to "replace" arenas is largely based on a misunderstanding of why so many new arenas were needed. From my understanding, many new arenas were needed because old ones weren't designed for luxury boxes and that cost a lot in profits. This was the case in Seattle. To my understanding, the Peake is not at missing any major money making features and unless there are new developments, there is absolutely no need to replace the Peake in even the next 50 years. Investing and keeping the arena up to date is different from actually needing to build a new one.

Besides, the Thunder Alley development should be another sign that there are no plans for a new arena any time soon.

mugofbeer
04-15-2019, 02:44 PM
I have never been in it but when it was first built, wasn't it determined there were seats, maybe in the corners, that were entirely too narrow for today's hefty butts and had to be taken out and replaced with some wider seats?

dankrutka
04-15-2019, 03:46 PM
I have never been in it but when it was first built, wasn't it determined there were seats, maybe in the corners, that were entirely too narrow for today's hefty butts and had to be taken out and replaced with some wider seats?

"today's hefty butts" lol

mugofbeer
04-15-2019, 05:15 PM
"today's hefty butts" lol

I have to admit I'm a member.

Bill Robertson
04-16-2019, 12:15 PM
I have never been in it but when it was first built, wasn't it determined there were seats, maybe in the corners, that were entirely too narrow for today's hefty butts and had to be taken out and replaced with some wider seats?I know my memory sucks at times but I think I remember some of the seats being replaced with wider seats. Mainly by narrowing the arms and doing away with built in cup holders.

Laramie
04-16-2019, 02:49 PM
I know my memory sucks at times but I think I remember some of the seats being replaced with wider seats. Mainly by narrowing the arms and doing away with built in cup holders.

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/XFe12SHd-urW3dngi-NohQ/o.jpg

IIRC the seats at The Peake were "22 wide vs. CCC-Myriad "19 wide, you are correct Bill Roberson; they did make some adjustments on the cup holders. Seems like the foundation for the seats at the CCC-Myriad are steeper--just my opinion since my knees appear to be aligned above the back of the person's head in front of me in the upper bowl.

http://www.coxconventioncenter.com/assets/img/600x360-barons-crowd-001.jpg

The Thunder indicated they would not need a new arena; however they did hint that some upgrades are needed. Will be of interest to see what the renovations-upgrades will look like.

Again, you never know, 10-15 years from now--that new arena idea may be more appealing, may want to keep the 4 sq., blocks on hold.

shawnw
04-16-2019, 03:36 PM
We should definitely NOT "hold" the four square blocks for a "maybe some day" arena situation. There are tons of great options as far as a future area placement, should one be needed by MAPS VI.

David
04-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Saving four square blocks in the middle of downtown for a maybe use a decade plus in the future would be a terrible bet.

Laramie
04-17-2019, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5_NdWuDc4

Thunder @Portland Trailblazers Box score: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401126842

BoulderSooner
04-21-2019, 12:46 PM
One thing the Peake badly needs is a new video board. Ours has fallen pretty far behind

shawnw
04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
In the last few years the Dodgers got a full HD video board, do we know if the city (venue owner) or tenant (Dodgers) paid for that?