View Full Version : Skky Bar (New business in Bricktown)

Luke
09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
I was driving through Bricktown this afternoon and saw a sign promoting a new business coming in. The location is the on the fourth floor of the building that Mickey Mantle Steakhouse is in. It's where the Bricktown 54 and Chemistry bars used to be with the nice patios overlooking the canal and ballpark.

Anybody have any more details about this?

downtownguy
09-15-2004, 07:32 PM
The club is being talked up in Bricktown as being an upscale operation along the lines of Lit. But seeing as it's being put in by a Tulsa nightclub operator, you can't be too sure.
Observers believe Bricktown 54 was probably the best concept for that space, but ended up being botched by poor financial management.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

swake
09-16-2004, 09:55 AM
There are lots of upscale Tulsa nightclubs, really more than in OKC. But, by the cheesy rip-off name of Skky, my guess is it’s going to be owned by Steve Kitchel, who owns a bunch of big clubs in downtown Tulsa, and if it is him, yes, it will be crap. He Owns 54 Downtown, The Majestic (the best of his bunch, but a gay club), Bad Girlz(a rip off of Coyote Ugly) and the 1st St Alley/Voodoo/Velvet Room mega bar. You can be sure if it’s Kitchel involved it will be white trash heaven with lots of fights.

Patrick
09-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Oh brother! Oh well, one thing nice about Bricktown....he'll be paying a lot in rent, so he better put something in that will bring in some money.

In regards to downtownguy's comments about Bricktown 54......yeah, I figured it must've been poor financial management, because frankly I never understood why that place went under. It always seemed to be full. It seemed like towards the end, however, management made a lot of changes that really impacted business....mostly lowering the age required to get in, changing the format/music, etc. Why can't people just leave successful things alone? Why do they always have to ruin them?

SoonerLady
02-11-2005, 02:10 PM
I wonder, has anyone visited Skky yet? It is not owned by Steve Kitchell, as I used to work for him as a manager.

swake
02-11-2005, 03:35 PM
It’s owned by the people that own In The Raw, En Fuego and Suede Ultra Bar here in Tulsa. All of which are very nice and popular.

SoonerLady
02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi... actually, I am pretty familiar with Skky, but thanks for the reply! My boyfriend is the head of security, I bartend and run the VIP room, and my sister is the GM. I worked at In the Raw and bartended at Suede for a year and a half before my sis recruited me down here to work at Skky for her.

Patrick
02-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey SoonerLady, could you give us a report on how Skky Bar is doing?

SoonerLady
02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes... I'd love to! It is doing quite well. Our Tuesday Service Industry Night is doing incredibly well. $3.00 you-call-its are quite popular. Wednesday nights are a great date night... we host Ben Kilgore and Matt Fisher of The Hero Factor, a very popular band out of Tulsa. They play acoustic versions of their original songs and covers as well. Coldplay, Gavin Degraw, Maroon 5, Counting Crows, David Gray, and some rock classics are some of their favorite songs to cover. They bring a unique romantic feel to the evening and are quickly bringing more and more buzz to Skky Bar on Wednesday nights. Ben has been a personal friend of mine for about 11 years, so I am probably his and Skky Bar's biggest marketing director for these nights! I would definitely suggest that anyone who wants to get out and about on a Wednesday, come check these guys out - they are fabulous! Thursdays are Ladies Nights - no cover for the ladies, and free domestics for everyone until midnight. We are going to be trying some new things to see if we can raise business on weekends, and gear Thursday nights towards a little different clientele than we seem to be attracting. Most of our customers are fantastic, but there's a little bit of a young power-drinking crowd that free domestics for everyone attracts, you know? Other than that, we are having tons of fun and doing great. Friday and Saturday nights are 23 and older only, and follow a dress code policy. No ball caps, no clothing that is ripped or torn in any area or manner and no overly baggy clothing. Jeans are allowed if they are of a classy design/style. We try to being a classy upscale air into the club on weekends, which is why we strictly enforce this dress code and age minimum.
Fat Tuesday was a huge success and very busy night for us... which is quite satisfying because a lot of time, effort and sweat was put into the preparation for it. The VIP room is always open on Friday and Saturday for anyone to frequent, unless of course there is a private party reserved. In that case, the curtains are closed off. If there isn't a party, it is a wonderful room to sit down with a cocktail and visit with friends. You can reserve a couch, table or multiple tables in there at no cost, if you don't want to rent the whole room. We have groups that reserve a couch quite often to relax between trips to the dance floor. And of course, the bartender in VIP is ALWAYS ready to take care of your most detailed cocktail needs :) Please come see us often!

mistress_x123
02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Thank you Soonerlady! At work we have a lot of people ask about the Skky Bar but with me working most of the time all i can tell them is what i have heard and seen from the street ( the music, and what i have seen go in and of course word of mouth). Now I can tell my custumors more about the place. It is hard working in Bricktown and not knowing half of what is going on there.

SoonerLady
02-14-2005, 12:29 PM
You are most welcome! I understand... I work in Bricktown as well and the only other business I am somewhat familiar with is Mickey Mantle's (downstairs and usually my dinner before work) and a couple of the other clubs that we consider competition. I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone has, though, and you or anyone you know would be interested in a private party in Skky's VIP room, just let me know... that's my area!

mistress_x123
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I may have seen you go to work, lol ( of course I see a lot of people)on the week ends. My base is across the street from the skky bar. I know I like the music. And I was very appestive when the started play music cuz the bells from the fountion was driving me nuts, lol. ( Hubby says that it was a short drive.) lol

SoonerLady
02-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, you probably have seen me go to work quite often~ I work at 8:00 every Thurs, Fri, and Sat... But I go up there alot on Tues/Wed to hang out and give some support. You should try to come up there and visit sometime. Wednesday is a good chill out night, but Tues/Thur/Fri/Sat are pretty hoppin!

mistress_x123
02-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Kewl thanks for the info SoonerLady ( on the days) nice to know these things, lol. And when I do go out I will go up and check it out.

Patrick
02-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the update Soonerlady. I'm glad to hear Skky Bar is doing well.

There's a market for the 23 and older crowd if you can attract it. Bricktown 54 seemed to be doing well until they changed their entertainment and lowered the age limit.

If you continue to press an upscale atmopshere by remaining strict on issues like age, clothing, etc. you will continue to do well. People in OKC are looking for a nice upscale entertainment establishment, without all of the riff raff.

Best of luck, and please keep us up to date on Skky Bar!

moneymaker79
02-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I will say that skky is the only club I will go out to, I will get some drinks at LIT and then go to SKKY. I have met and talked to the GM several times and I have always been treated with utmost courtesy. I am impressed with the clientele that frequents the place so I go when I have time away from my company. I always wondered why nobody asked for my card when I walked into the LOUNGE. I thought it was a fake VIP LOUNGE but now I know that anyone can get in on the weekends. I guess I will have to go once a week or so during the weeknights.The security is very tight and professional, staffed at points in the club and watching the crowd and not BSing with the patrons. The bartenders are quick and knowledgeable and dressed well. The music is great and I am glad it is here and CHEMISTRY is gone.