View Full Version : Suggestions on Where to Live

will77
09-26-2018, 07:52 PM
m a social worker that just moved back to this area. Currently I知 debating about where to live in the metro area. I値l be working for two different employers. One in Midwest City and the other in Norman. My employer in Midwest City will also be sending me to work at a facility near nw39th and Portland 3 days a week. I知 trying to decide between the Bethany/Warr Acres/Lake Hefener area, the Plaza district and area around OCU, the far southwest side of okc/north Moore, and somewhere in Midwest City. Are there any good areas of Midwest City? Most of it seems pretty boring and run down to me. I would be looking for a small house under 900 a month. Also is the Pennington area around 23rd and Meridian still sketchy or has it started to gentrify?

OKC Guy
09-26-2018, 10:59 PM
Here isOKC crime stats webpage.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/police/crime-prevention-data/crime-stats

Johnb911
09-27-2018, 07:39 AM
We live in the village and love it. There are probably some small houses south of Britton in between May and Penn that would fit your budget. Would be close to the 39th and Portland location for you, and easy highway access, but still a hike to get to either MWC or Norman

okatty
09-27-2018, 09:36 AM
My son has a house around 40th and Classen and he loves it (I guess that is on the fringes of Putnam Heights). Very central and would be easy access over to your 39th and Portland spot. Not as great to Norman. His payment is under $1k per month with P&I, taxes and insurance and I suspect rentals are pretty reasonable if you can find any.

TheSteveHunt
09-27-2018, 10:02 AM
I have an amazing storefront apartment at lightning creek.. sw 81st and western. Super affordable, quiet, close to everything.
This is where all cool people will want to be in 5-10 yrs. Story of my life.

shawnw
09-27-2018, 10:12 AM
If I were in your situation, spending 3 days a week at 39th and Portland... I'd probably favor that area. Being so close to the highway, getting to the other areas shouldn't be too bad.

TheTravellers
09-27-2018, 12:06 PM
We live in the Venice neighborhood (NW 36th/May-ish) and it (or surrounding areas) might be pretty good for commuting to your various workplaces. Centrally located enough so that you can go up or down May or Western to get to places pretty quickly, close to downtown areas and can get there in 10-15 mins, close to Uptown/Plaza/Midtown/Paseo too, just down the street is access to I-44 and the Hefner Parkway. Crime isn't bad here, but the further south and east you go from Venice, the sketchier it gets. I'd think that renting a house for $900 would be pretty easily do-able around here too.

BridgeBurner
10-02-2018, 08:42 AM
I live walking distance from the Plaza on the other side of Penn and I like it, plenty of rentals in that price range.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-02-2018, 01:55 PM
m a social worker that just moved back to this area. Currently I’m debating about where to live in the metro area. I’ll be working for two different employers. One in Midwest City and the other in Norman. My employer in Midwest City will also be sending me to work at a facility near nw39th and Portland 3 days a week. I’m trying to decide between the Bethany/Warr Acres/Lake Hefener area, the Plaza district and area around OCU, the far southwest side of okc/north Moore, and somewhere in Midwest City. Are there any good areas of Midwest City? Most of it seems pretty boring and run down to me. I would be looking for a small house under 900 a month. Also is the Pennington area around 23rd and Meridian still sketchy or has it started to gentrify?

That's a hard concept to wrap my head around. 23rd and Meridian and -- gentrification. So much has changed in 30-40 years that it's mind boggling.
My choice would be inside the loop with mostly easy highway access.
Good luck in your search - and welcome home!

jonny d
10-02-2018, 02:18 PM
In before someone says "not the OKC area". Lol

soonerguru
10-16-2018, 01:45 PM
m a social worker that just moved back to this area. Currently I’m debating about where to live in the metro area. I’ll be working for two different employers. One in Midwest City and the other in Norman. My employer in Midwest City will also be sending me to work at a facility near nw39th and Portland 3 days a week. I’m trying to decide between the Bethany/Warr Acres/Lake Hefener area, the Plaza district and area around OCU, the far southwest side of okc/north Moore, and somewhere in Midwest City. Are there any good areas of Midwest City? Most of it seems pretty boring and run down to me. I would be looking for a small house under 900 a month. Also is the Pennington area around 23rd and Meridian still sketchy or has it started to gentrify?

Musgrave Pennington, on the South side of 23rd, is still a nice neighborhood. There have been some relatively minor issues in recent month. I lived there for 12 years and never had a problem until a houseplant was stolen from our front porch (which was very distressing to my wife!). There are some very well-built homes that have 1000 sq feet or so that are still affordable there. It's an easy hop to I-44 and just about anywhere in OKC. I would definitely check it out.

Conversely, there seem to be more issues in the nabes just north of 23rd and Meridian: Pennington and Skyview.

Believe it or not Musgrave Pennington has a high degree of owner occupied housing, over 90 percent, which is more than Crestwood and several other inner-city neighborhoods.

shawnw
10-16-2018, 01:50 PM
No matter what you pick, an active neighborhood association should be a factor in your choice

Swanky
10-17-2018, 09:43 AM
No matter what you pick, an active neighborhood association should be a factor in your choice

How are you guys feeling about the Rollingwood area at 57th-63rd and Meridian? (Hopefully this helps OP as well, but I'm asking for selfish reasons. :rolleyes: )

OKCRT
10-17-2018, 11:57 AM
How are you guys feeling about the Rollingwood area at 57th-63rd and Meridian? (Hopefully this helps OP as well, but I'm asking for selfish reasons. :rolleyes: )

Rollingwood 1&2 are great neighborhoods and good value

Teo9969
10-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Did I just miss the answer to this question or have we established whether you're looking to rent or buy? I'm guessing rent since there was no overall price budget, but would just want to be sure.

If you can find something in the area south of Belle Isle (North of 39th, south of NWX, East of Penn, West of I-235), you will be able to get anywhere in the metro in 25 minutes or less (provided there isn't a huge amount of traffic to contend with).