View Full Version : Restaurant closings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

FighttheGoodFight
07-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Ya just circling back around. The current owners have been there 22 years. As I understand the building has already been sold.

Shortsyeararound
07-07-2023, 03:36 PM
May have to go- haven’t been since 2008. Yikes
On another note- I do miss the New Orleans Cafe that was on Classen in the early 90’s. Best ham fettuccine ever!

Boop
07-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Browns Bakery is closing and they already sold the building. The brother stated that he wants to reopen in a new location, but we all know how that goes. He may change his mind after he takes a break and he realizes how much work it will be to open a new location.

If his sister can do it for 77 years then his brother can

NavySeabee
07-09-2023, 01:11 AM
Browns Bakery is closing and they already sold the building. The brother stated that he wants to reopen in a new location, but we all know how that goes. He may change his mind after he takes a break and he realizes how much work it will be to open a new location.

Exactly a lot of variables at play with reopening in a new location. Will the buzz return at that new location. Right now nostalgia is fueling customer demand. Eventually nostalgia will wear off and people won’t be so willing to drive miles to get a donut or to stand in line for long wait times because there are many other places for a donut. It’s the same reason why Krispy Kreme went from three locations down to one in OKC.

Maybe it’s me just getting older but, I think some businesses are like people they can’t live forever. They need to fade away into memory. Especially when the people who created the magic around the place retire and move one. Eventually a business is sold off or turned over to younger generations. It’s never the same and that’s simply because the new owners don’t have the heart in it. Case in point Sonic. It used be good now it’s just blah food with mediocre customer service.

Pete
07-09-2023, 05:51 AM
^

In the same vein, I wonder how Charcoal Oven is doing these days?

Boop
07-09-2023, 08:15 AM
^

If it is still open then it must be doing fine

Dob Hooligan
07-09-2023, 09:04 AM
^

Doing just fine. I have lunch from there 3-4 times a month. I buy and one of the guys picks it up.

Couple months ago I was there and asked the owner (don’t remember his name) 3 questions…

How’s business? “Good”

Glad you opened? “yes”

Better than the Jersey Mike’s franchise you owned in this location earlier? “Way better. No question and no regrets”.

Pete
07-09-2023, 11:11 AM
^

Good to hear. Thanks for the great feedback.

Bill Robertson
07-13-2023, 01:24 PM
I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything but still this might have been covered already. The S&Bs on SW 3rd in front of Home Depot is empty.

fortpatches
07-13-2023, 02:32 PM
I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything but still this might have been covered already. The S&Bs on SW 3rd in front of Home Depot is empty.

I don't think I will miss them. Granted I have only tried them once, but I was not in the least bit impressed.

Google has "Pizza Inn" located there now with hours that were "Confirmed by this business 1 week ago". Is that older than the S&B or newer?

Bill Robertson
07-13-2023, 02:56 PM
I don't think I will miss them. Granted I have only tried them once, but I was not in the least bit impressed.

Google has "Pizza Inn" located there now with hours that were "Confirmed by this business 1 week ago". Is that older than the S&B or newer?I don't know about the Pizza Inn. It's been S&B for a long time. It was open a few weeks ago but it's empty now.

Thunderbolt
07-13-2023, 02:58 PM
Report of Louie's Midtown closing. Any details?

https://twitter.com/winerev/status/1679289390281940994?s=20

chssooner
07-13-2023, 03:01 PM

And mention of a sale. Someone buying HSRG, or are they buying a new group?

Roger S
07-13-2023, 04:00 PM
Google has "Pizza Inn" located there now with hours that were "Confirmed by this business 1 week ago". Is that older than the S&B or newer?

It was a Pizza Inn before it was S&B

Bill Robertson
07-13-2023, 04:19 PM
It was a Pizza Inn before it was S&BGoing back that far taxes my memory but I agree that you're right.

ManAboutTown
07-13-2023, 04:20 PM
This is confirmed. They will be closing July 23rd. Bob Howard raised their rent too much for their liking and they decided to shut her down.

One of my favorite local drinking spots, especially during football season. RIP, Louie’s Midtown.

Bill Robertson
07-13-2023, 05:20 PM
This is confirmed. They will be closing July 23rd. Bob Howard raised their rent too much for their liking and they decided to shut her down.

One of my favorite local drinking spots, especially during football season. RIP, Louie’s Midtown.So, does Bob Howard have a new tenant lined up that will pay the higher rent or will it sit empty because BH speculated that they could get more when they can't? At least for a while?

ManAboutTown
07-13-2023, 06:02 PM
So, does Bob Howard have a new tenant lined up that will pay the higher rent or will it sit empty because BH speculated that they could get more when they can't? At least for a while?I tried to find Bob and ask him, but he wasn’t around. The staff said that they are pretty sure that no new tenant is lined up.

Boop
07-21-2023, 07:16 PM

One of my favorite local drinking spots, especially during football season. RIP, Louie’s Midtown.

Good luck finding a new tenant with their raised rent

Shortsyeararound
07-21-2023, 08:42 PM
Shawn’s Sushi on expressway I think is no more.

chssooner
07-21-2023, 08:52 PM
Good luck finding a new tenant with their raised rent

They will, easily. That Louie's is not busy, ever. Went last Friday, and there were like, 17 people there. Including staff.

Teo9969
07-22-2023, 10:07 AM
They will, easily. That Louie's is not busy, ever. Went last Friday, and there were like, 17 people there. Including staff.

Yeah, a more destination establishment might do better here. If I live @ 63rs and May, there are at least 2 Louie's I'm considering before the Midtown Location. But if I want like 1492, I'm perfectly fine to go down there.

BoulderSooner
07-22-2023, 10:52 AM
Yeah, a more destination establishment might do better here. If I live @ 63rs and May, there are at least 2 Louie's I'm considering before the Midtown Location. But if I want like 1492, I'm perfectly fine to go down there.

of course at 63rd and may you are also only 2 miles from the village 1492 location

Teo9969
07-22-2023, 03:50 PM
of course at 63rd and may you are also only 2 miles from the village 1492 location

lol, didn't know 1492 had a 2nd location, but substitute Waffle Champion or Fassler Hall and I think the point stands. There are Louie's all over the place.

corwin1968
07-22-2023, 08:43 PM
lol, didn't know 1492 had a 2nd location, but substitute Waffle Champion or Fassler Hall and I think the point stands. There are Louie's all over the place.

Just as a plug to help out, Mattie's coffee shop is in the same center as 1492 at Penn & Britton and they roast their own beans and all of the cappucinos I've had there were consistently good. Their blueberry lemon scone is amazing.

KTB
08-01-2023, 12:51 PM
Shiki on N. May has closed.

Pete
08-01-2023, 12:57 PM
Shiki on N. May has closed.

Been meaning to post this.

Will be a chain called Wingers. I'll create a new thread.

Bill Robertson
08-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Just heard that Back Porch Brewhouse has a 'Temporarily Closed" sign on the door. Based on the total lack of business I suspect its permanent. Perfect example of a great concept run very, very badly.

baralheia
08-02-2023, 05:10 PM
Just heard that Back Porch Brewhouse has a 'Temporarily Closed" sign on the door. Based on the total lack of business I suspect its permanent. Perfect example of a great concept run very, very badly.

They're marked "permanently closed" on Google and the location has been removed from their website too. Lasted just over a year in that spot.

Bill Robertson
08-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Not surprised. Great concept horribly executed.

amocore
08-02-2023, 08:23 PM
Not surprised. Great concept horribly executed.

Surprising !
We stopped at the one in Wichita Falls, few month ago, following advice from a west TX friend and it was a great neighborhood place.
I’m surprised it didn’t in OKC. The product was solid. I have not tried it here though.

Bill Robertson
08-03-2023, 04:59 AM
Surprising !
We stopped at the one in Wichita Falls, few month ago, following advice from a west TX friend and it was a great neighborhood place.
I’m surprised it didn’t in OKC. The product was solid. I have not tried it here though.The food was really good. Service was good at first but got worse and worse as time went on. The bar was constantly out of the most basic things. Management was clueless.

Jersey Boss
08-29-2023, 07:35 AM
Logan's Roadhouse in Norman is out of business. I went there for lunch a few times with work crew and it was never better than fair. The steaks were overcooked whenever I ordered medium rare.

Boop
09-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Golden Spoons have closed

Boop
09-02-2023, 02:38 PM
Logan's Roadhouse in Norman is out of business. I went there for lunch a few times with work crew and it was never better than fair. The steaks were overcooked whenever I ordered medium rare.

Good, I always confused them with Texas Roadhouse

fromdust
09-08-2023, 05:28 PM
If you like craft beer make sure you hit up TWISTED SPIKE before the end of the month. They are closing their doors.
Okc craft breweries that have fallen this year: Elk Valley, Black Mesa, and now Twisted Spike. Word on the street is Vanessa House is next

goldenHurricane22
09-08-2023, 05:53 PM
Is Twisted Spike closing completely, or just the taproom? One of my favorite craft beer places, so that's disheartening to see them close.

fromdust
09-08-2023, 06:21 PM
Is Twisted Spike closing completely, or just the taproom? One of my favorite craft beer places, so that's disheartening to see them close.

From what the guy behind the counter said it was done, not just the taproom

Pete
09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
From what the guy behind the counter said it was done, not just the taproom

That's a major bummer on so many levels.

1. They make great beer; 2. Bruce Sanchez is one of the nicest guys ever and very well-respected in the local brewing community; and 3. TS was second only to Anthem as far as a brewery and taproom opening in the core.

Jersey Boss
09-08-2023, 07:14 PM
If you like craft beer make sure you hit up TWISTED SPIKE before the end of the month. They are closing their doors.
Okc craft breweries that have fallen this year: Elk Valley, Black Mesa, and now Twisted Spike. Word on the street is Vanessa House is next

When did Black Mesa close?

April in the Plaza
09-08-2023, 08:21 PM

Yea, I’ve heard the math is extremely tough for most of the micro-craft guys. The margins are basically non-existent, especially if you’re exposed to expensive real estate.

Roger S
09-08-2023, 09:55 PM
When did Black Mesa close?

On the 1st... They retired.

OKCRealtor
09-09-2023, 08:18 AM
Yea, I’ve heard the math is extremely tough for most of the micro-craft guys. The margins are basically non-existent, especially if you’re exposed to expensive real estate.

Sounds just like the restaurant biz.

jedicurt
09-09-2023, 08:25 AM

really? because if you can actually get people in the taproom, the margins there are actually quite good. the issue is that we hit a saturation point. there are so many breweries now that if you don't stand out, or have a great location, people aren't just going to go, because there are now better options. This would be the twisted spike scenario... it was hard to their taproom, because there was not much immediate parking, and if you are going to have to park and walk a block or two, then why not go to one of the better and easier to get into breweries.

Black mesa the guy retired, and elk valley just didn't advertise, and i think they were too far off from automobile alley for people to really know they were there. i used to go regularly, but when i talked about it to people you lived right around it, they didn't even know it was there.

Pete
09-09-2023, 08:32 AM
There was a time you could open a bar, taproom, or restaurant in the core and people would flock.

Now, there are literally hundreds of options and you'd better give people good reasons to come back and you also better be promoting yourself to stay in front of your market which is now overwhelmed with options.

I'm not picking on these breweries, but far too many places here have no idea how to differentiate or market themselves. You can get beer, 'craft' cocktails, burgers, tacos and pizza in thousands of places around OKC. Why would I choose your business over all the others? How will I even think of you when it comes time to make a choice?

OKCRealtor
09-09-2023, 09:34 AM
There was a time you could open a bar, taproom, or restaurant in the core and people would flock.

Now, there are literally hundreds of options and you'd better give people good reasons to come back and you also better be promoting yourself to stay in front of your market which is now overwhelmed with options.

I'm not picking on these breweries, but far too many places here have no idea how to differentiate or market themselves. You can get beer, 'craft' cocktails, burgers, tacos and pizza in thousands of places around OKC. Why would I choose your business over all the others? How will I even think of you when it comes time to make a choice?

100%

Everything matters & management and leadership teams have to understand the full circle of business.

You can't just make a good product and have the 'if we build it they will come' mentality. So many more pieces to the puzzle.

Pete
09-09-2023, 09:50 AM
100%

Everything matters & management and leadership teams have to understand the full circle of business.

You can't just make a good product and have the 'if we build it they will come' mentality. So many more pieces to the puzzle.

It doesn't help that the legions of ad agencies, PR firms, and marketing companies in OKC don't have any real ideas on how to promote and differentiate businesses either.

They just do a press release to legacy media and then charge their clients for getting something in the Oklahoman or a TV channel (if they are very, very lucky) which can't possibly translate into any real business.

And then I come across the young woman who owns and runs Boomtown Creamery and I knew instantly she was going to kill it, even charging many multiples over ice cream from Braum's. That business has been a wild success, and I could see it coming a mile away. Conversely, it's become pretty easy for me to predict the demise of many places I cover long before they open.

Every time I cover a new place, I make a mental prediction and it's very rarely wrong.

Jersey Boss
09-09-2023, 12:19 PM
On the 1st... They retired.

I am surprised to say the least. That facility is what, 4 years old?
I hope some other business resumes brewing there.

Will Dearborn
09-10-2023, 09:37 AM
Twisted Spike had unremarkable beer and a worse location, frankly surprised they lasted this long.

corwin1968
09-10-2023, 12:57 PM
I just started going to taphouses and almost none are convenient to access. As far as quality, Stonecloud has been the best, by far.

Teo9969
09-10-2023, 01:37 PM
Please tell me Black Mesa is only closing the taproom?!?!

They have been one of the highest quality brewers in the state for a long time. One of their most recent brews "Sellout IPA" is one of the best IPAs in the OK market and the ESB has always been a special beer.

Jersey Boss
09-10-2023, 03:53 PM

They have been one of the highest quality brewers in the state for a long time. One of their most recent brews "Sellout IPA" is one of the best IPAs in the OK market and the ESB has always been a special beer.

Well it was posted the owners retired. I took it that the brand is retired as well.

fromdust
09-10-2023, 09:31 PM
ESB has always been a special beer.

one could say "extra special"

fromdust
09-10-2023, 09:33 PM
Another brewery will close soon from what I've heard. Big craft beer guy, so this year has pretty much sucked.

BoulderSooner
09-11-2023, 07:41 AM
elk valley just didn't advertise, and i think they were too far off from automobile alley for people to really know they were there. i used to go regularly, but when i talked about it to people you lived right around it, they didn't even know it was there.

elk valley also had pretty terrible customer service .. and always had a strange mix of beers on draft ..

I really wanted to like it and gave them way more rope then usual .. but it was not a surprise at all when they closed ..

jedicurt
09-11-2023, 11:44 AM
elk valley also had pretty terrible customer service .. and always had a strange mix of beers on draft ..

I really wanted to like it and gave them way more rope then usual .. but it was not a surprise at all when they closed ..

i also know they had an issue with health inspectors because they kept using residential grade cooking equipment in a commercial space.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-11-2023, 07:49 PM
Elk Valley's death blow came in the form of ABLE. Before a leadership change, they were told it was okay for them to produce and distribute mead. They started and invested a lot of revenue into that before the new leadership of ABLE said that was not allowable. They were given until December 31st to sell all the mead they could legally. John had invested so much into the mead venture that they were supposedly losing $15k-20k a month the final few months of operations. Elk Valley had the best space and the best product of the breweries that have shut down so far. The marketing aspect just wasn't on his mind.

The next brewery to shut down decided to focus on the seltzer world and alienate the craft beer drinkers. Once they decided to shift focus to seltzers, they lost the craft beer crowd. Yes it is cheap to make seltzer, but you need to have a good product and revenue flow to be able to deviate that much from your business plan. Plus I think the owners are all in the age where they are starting or have started to have families and the burn out that comes with operating a brewery has taken a toll on their team.

Roger S
09-11-2023, 08:02 PM
I am surprised to say the least. That facility is what, 4 years old?
I hope some other business resumes brewing there.

From what I'm hearing.... It will be a funeral home.

Roger S
09-11-2023, 08:04 PM

They've already sold all the equipment.

Timshel
09-11-2023, 08:16 PM
1492 midtown location is closing. Casady square still going. With that and Louie’s also closing, curious if landlords are substantially raising rents right there or if something else is going on.