View Full Version : Hawthorne Elementary Snubbed from "Better Streets, Safer City" Funds

BridgeBurner
09-04-2018, 12:47 PM
While looking at the information released by the city about the Better Streets, Safer city plans, I noticed that Hawthorne Elementary (and surrounding neighborhoods) appear to have almost been intentionally hung out to dry. I contacted our ward's City Councilwoman Meg Sayler ward6@okc.gov and she put me in contact with the Director of Public Works, Eric Wenger (405) 297-3486 eric.wenger@okc.gov who in turn put me in contact with City Planning Director Aubrey McDermid aubrey.mcdermid@okc.gov (405) 297-1629

If you would like to see Hawthorne Elementary and surrounding neighborhoods (Youngs-Englewood, Miller, Crestwood) included in the "NW 23rd St. at N. Classen Blvd. Pedestrian Priority Area" please contact Aubrey McDermid or Eric Wenger. They assured me that walk-ability to schools was their top priority which makes it all the more stranger that Hawthorne Elementary was essentially carved around (location of other schools is highlighted in blue, Hawthorne is on 15th and Youngs just below the boundary).
Appreciate any interest, it just bums me out to see. If Hawthorne gets left out of a sidewalk improvement plan featuring the Plaza then I am sure there won't be another chance for many years to come. I see kids walking to school down busy streets like Villa that doesn't have sidewalks in my area every day on my way to work and it seems unsafe.

They link they sent me is here but it is acting up today:
https://www.okc.gov/residents/better-streets-safer-city-projects/bond-package

aDark
09-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Any chance you are the commentator on Steve Lackmeyer's Friday chats that frequently discusses the lack of sidewalks and danger in and around the Cleveland neighborhood and Crestwood neighborhood?

BridgeBurner
09-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Any chance you are the commentator on Steve Lackmeyer's Friday chats that frequently discusses the lack of sidewalks and danger in and around the Cleveland neighborhood and Crestwood neighborhood?

No that is not me, can you link me one? I'd like to pass this information along to them haha- Nextdoor hasn't been much help.

aDark
09-05-2018, 10:37 AM
No that is not me, can you link me one? I'd like to pass this information along to them haha- Nextdoor hasn't been much help.

Unfortunately the commentator is a "Guest" on the chat so I have no clue how to help put you two in touch. If you go to Newsok.com and look at the August 31 chat transcript you'll see what I'm talking about. It sounds like the commentator is trying hard to effectuate change, including talks with the councilpersons, the city admins, etc. Maybe reaching out to Steve himself would help the two of you hook up. He also complained about Nextdoor, lol