View Full Version : 2 NW 6th

Pete
09-02-2018, 08:57 AM
This building has been for lease for a while and they have done some renderings to help envision renovation possibilities.

The last version includes a couple of levels of apartments at the top.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6e.jpg

TheTravellers
09-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Looks nice, but would people really choose to live next to a set of RR tracks? I believe they're still in use, and if so, I can't see anybody willingly moving there when there are so many not-next-to-RR-tracks options...

catch22
09-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Looks nice, but would people really choose to live next to a set of RR tracks? I believe they're still in use, and if so, I can't see anybody willingly moving there when there are so many not-next-to-RR-tracks options...

It’s a quiet zone, really not that loud. The trains are also usually not going very fast through here because they are either leaving or entering the rail yard at 23rd.

rte66man
09-02-2018, 04:45 PM
It’s a quiet zone, really not that loud. The trains are also usually not going very fast through here because they are either leaving or entering the rail yard at 23rd.

While there won't be any whistles because it's a quiet zone, IIRC there are 10-12 trains per day. I work in a building that is about the same distance from the tracks as this one. It is LOUD when the trains come through. While not a problem during the day, I would not want one at 2 a.m. while I'm trying to sleep.

okatty
09-02-2018, 08:05 PM
I have to think there’d be a nice “rumble” going on.

SEMIweather
09-02-2018, 09:20 PM
I have to think there’d be a nice “rumble” going on.

I live in an older building about a half mile away from the railroad tracks and the trains are still noticeable from time to time. Even with great soundproofing, this building is at such a close distance that I'm sure you'd probably feel just about every train that passed by. That being said, I could still see this working as (most likely) a more affordable option for people who can tolerate the trains.

Teo9969
09-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Sheldon Cooper would *love* to own here.

Urbanized
09-03-2018, 02:58 AM
The building literally on the other side of the tracks - to the left/east in this rendering - is a private residence and has been for years:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2nw6b.jpg

warreng88
09-03-2018, 02:23 PM

My sister and brother in law live in a the lofts in Norman, north of The Mont, with the railroad running right next to it. You get used to it.

rezman
09-03-2018, 08:32 PM
I love trains and wouldn’t mind it at all.

The first 2 renderings look pretty cool. The last 2 are hideous.

GoldFire
09-03-2018, 09:07 PM
I live right next to the tracks on 2nd and we virtually never notice them other than seeing them go by out the window.

PaddyShack
09-04-2018, 08:07 AM
I think it would be nice for a bodega-type business or deli/bakery to go in on the street level with the apartments overhead. Still wanting more bodega type establishments around.

David
09-04-2018, 12:03 PM
The first 2 renderings look pretty cool. The last 2 are hideous.

Agreed.

Is this in a design review district that would hopefully prevent them from painting the brick? I assume downtown or automobile alley.

Urbanized
09-05-2018, 03:44 PM
There is no Automobile Alley design review district per se. This would fall under the purview of the Downtown Design Review Committee and within the Downtown Business District overlay (DBD). Automobile Alley has another booklet - produced by the Planning Department in the nineties - which makes design RECOMMENDATIONS within the district that go well beyond the DBD ordinance, designed to protect the unique character of the district. Regrettably these were never codified, but I believe that Planning is currently working directly with the district and with the Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership (who manages the district) to codify the elements which are of highest priority.

The good news is that DBD by itself is still pretty protective. Staff and DDRC definitely would/should discourage painting unpainted brick, which unnecessarily creates a long-term maintenance obligation that did not previously exist, and also can cause spalling and other major damage to brick (especially of the historic variety). I think they could even deny based on painting unpainted brick, but not 100% certain on this. Maybe LakeEffect or someone else can chime in.

jonny d
09-05-2018, 04:00 PM
I wish the first 2 had those added floors of apartments. Maybe those will be added later (or maybe I just can't see them, since the last 2 images are so bright.

OKCisOK4me
09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
I like the 2nd two renderings!

Anonymous.
11-07-2018, 12:51 PM
This property got listed as a whole for $2.2MM.

This property has so many possibilities! It can be office, retail or residential. Owner willing to sell parts of the building as office or residential condos, the entire building, or owner is open to leasing as well. Each floor plate is approx. 6,000sf. Property is in a shell condition and ready to be built to owners specifications. Great Views of Downtown and State Capitol. Structure allows for rooftop balconies on two different levels. Exposed brick in various parts of the building. Parking on the west side of the building...owner open to building carport and/or approved covered parking. Walk to several restaurants and shops and enjoy living Downtown. Along with several successful downtown residential developments, property sits on the railroad and train horn does not blow as these properties are in the Quiet Zone.