View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Laramie
08-30-2018, 07:19 PM
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/oudaily.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/1c/61c36dce-6f06-11e6-8a57-733e39f3a999/57c6117433b67.image.jpg
Owen Field at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium - OUDaily.com

University of Oklahoma Sooners 2018 Football Schedule: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/201

mugofbeer
08-30-2018, 07:31 PM
I understand it's to be 96 or so Saturday for the game. Did they install an air conditioner and fans over the summer at the stadium? :)

Laramie
09-01-2018, 06:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOd71701jVs

warreng88
09-05-2018, 06:28 AM
I have a friend who is the bell captain at the Skirvin, downtown. I asked him if there were any FAU fans staying at the hotel. He said not of any significance, but next week is going to be crazy. The Skirvin has 225 rooms, UCLA boosters have 200 of them and the event space for Friday and Saturday night. They are coming in to WRWA and eight charter buses are going to pick them up along with two Ryder trucks to deliver luggage. He hasn't seen this kind of support since Notre Dame and probably won't until Nebraska comes to town in a few years.

FighttheGoodFight
09-05-2018, 07:30 AM
I have a friend who is the bell captain at the Skirvin, downtown. I asked him if there were any FAU fans staying at the hotel. He said not of any significance, but next week is going to be crazy. The Skirvin has 225 rooms, UCLA boosters have 200 of them and the event space for Friday and Saturday night. They are coming in to WRWA and eight charter buses are going to pick them up along with two Ryder trucks to deliver luggage. He hasn't seen this kind of support since Notre Dame and probably won't until Nebraska comes to town in a few years.

Wow and that with OU being picked as 30 point favorites. Gotta love those dedicated fans.

PaddyShack
09-05-2018, 07:51 AM
How do college football schedules work? I know they play everybody in their conference, but how are out of conference opponents chosen? Dart board or is it set at the NCAA?

okatty
09-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Wow and that with OU being picked as 30 point favorites. Gotta love those dedicated fans.

Maybe a little Chip Kelly factor going on too...that's awesome. We normally go to at least one OU away game a year and those trips are always fun. Ohio State last year. Nothing planned this year, but may go to UCLA game next year out there. (I don't count OU-Tx. as an away game). :)

Jersey Boss
09-05-2018, 09:19 AM
How do college football schedules work? I know they play everybody in their conference, but how are out of conference opponents chosen? Dart board or is it set at the NCAA?

The Big 12 is the only power 5 conference in which the members play every conference member every year. Out of conference opponents are chosen by the AD/HC with some conferences imposing restrictions on playing teams outside of D1 level competition. NCAA has nothing to do with scheduling. Game times are dictated by television network executives.

bluedogok
09-06-2018, 06:17 PM
In addition to what Jersey Boss stated, the out of conference games are contracted well into the future for the top level teams. If a team drops out for some reason they will usually pick up a "money game" from a lower level D-IA (called Bowl Subdivision now) or a D-IAA (Championship Subdivision) school to fill in for the dropped game. OU has some of those games scheduled out to 2030.
SoonerStats.com - Future OU Football Schedules (http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2019)

OKCretro
09-06-2018, 07:42 PM

Each school has a different philosophy. The 3 state schools each schedule way differently than each other.

OU- usually tries to schedule 1 big name, 1 medium and then 1 lower school. All from D-1. The big name is usually a 1-1. OU does this because the fans want these games. OU doesn't really have any marquee conference home games with UT always being in Dallas, so OU has to bring in bigger names to fill seats. Every so often the schedule a 1-aa school but it doesn't happen every year.

OSU- usually tries to schedule 1 middle of the pack p5, and 1 lower conference, then 1 1-AA school. OSU has a built in big name conference opponent every year with UT and OU alternating visiting Stillwater. Sometimes OSU doesn't even schedule a P5 school in non conference. This is more of the SEC or KSU approach. Schedule a bunch of non conference wins to make sure you go bowling every year.

TU- usually tries to do a couple of home and homes or 2-1's with p5 schools. They will also take the 1 off payout game. They went to Notre Dame a few years ago for a paycheck and they are going to Texas this year for a payout. TU will also schedule a gimmee game or 2 with lower level D-1 or 1AA schools.

bluedogok
09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
^^Pretty much
When OU has a I-AA school in the schedule now it is usually to fill in for a bigger name dropped out or they couldn't find another mid-minor for the third home game. It happened a few years ago when someone dropped out of the contract because of coaching changes or something and MTSU was open at the late date to schedule a game. That is usually the "money game"

UT had a 2-1 with Wyoming a few years ago and 15 or so years ago OU had a 1-1 with Air Force. The home and home is typical for when they schedule the service academies, which is rare. I wish CU was still in the Big 12, it would have been great if the OU and Tech games were opposite years. We could have gone to Boulder for a game every year. Now it would be nice if one of them played CU, CSU, AF or Wyoming up here. We went to a Tech-UNM game in Albuquerque one year then came to Denver for a Broncos game back when we lived in Austin. My wife never made it to a Tech game in Austin in her 20 years there.

BG918
09-10-2018, 11:47 AM
^^Pretty much
When OU has a I-AA school in the schedule now it is usually to fill in for a bigger name dropped out or they couldn't find another mid-minor for the third home game. It happened a few years ago when someone dropped out of the contract because of coaching changes or something and MTSU was open at the late date to schedule a game. That is usually the "money game"

UT had a 2-1 with Wyoming a few years ago and 15 or so years ago OU had a 1-1 with Air Force. The home and home is typical for when they schedule the service academies, which is rare. I wish CU was still in the Big 12, it would have been great if the OU and Tech games were opposite years. We could have gone to Boulder for a game every year. Now it would be nice if one of them played CU, CSU, AF or Wyoming up here. We went to a Tech-UNM game in Albuquerque one year then came to Denver for a Broncos game back when we lived in Austin. My wife never made it to a Tech game in Austin in her 20 years there.

I would love to see OU and OSU schedule more teams in NM, CO, UT and WY. Cool destinations and an easy trip for in-state fans, plus gets the team more exposure in the Mountain West.

jonny d
09-10-2018, 12:06 PM
I would love to see OU and OSU schedule more teams in NM, CO, UT and WY. Cool destinations and an easy trip for in-state fans, plus gets the team more exposure in the Mountain West.

The only problem with that is there are very few quality teams out that way that would help OU's strength of schedule. If they had to pick between a crappy team in Georgia or Florida vs a crappy team in Wyoming, you schedule where recruits are.

SoonerDave
09-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Yeah aside from the AFA, I don't see that happening. No value in OU going to that region. You're only going to recruit that region on a very selective basis, if at all, and with the quality of teams in the area being rather meh, I don't think you'd get much fan travel.

bluedogok
09-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Anyone in this region would be replacing the second tier non-conference team on the schedule except for maybe CU. UT did a 2-1 with Wyoming and OU a 1-1 with AFA. A 2-1 with CSU wouldn't be too bad as a second tier NC game. Tech playing one of them is more likely although that may be too big of a step up in their NC schedule. There are some good players in the region but nowhere near the sheer quantity that are in the recruiting hot beds.

Just wishing it so for purely selfish reasons.

Laramie
09-15-2018, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavyCnwKHDA

okatty
09-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Good day NOT to be a Nebraska, Fla. State or Arkansas fan (among others). Great day for OU and OSU. TCU unfortunately imploded over about a 4 minute stretch or the Big 12 would have had a banner day.....led by KU of course.:p

dcsooner
09-23-2018, 06:32 AM
OU defense continues to be sub par as it relates to a championship level defense. No way OU gets to a playoff or wins the Big 12. This teams culture for defense is simply weak and if you watch elite teams ALA,CLEMSON, OHST etc defense wins championships. OU will also lose to TEXAS this year as well as WVA and TCU

G.Walker
09-23-2018, 08:21 AM
OU not losing to Texas or TCU....Texas beat TCU...lol��������

Dustin
09-23-2018, 08:42 AM
The spread was 30............

Fire. Mike. Stoops.

dcsooner
09-23-2018, 12:00 PM
OU not losing to Texas or TCU....Texas beat TCU...lol��������

G.Walker, my MAIN point was the NC picture. I attended both the Orange Bowl against Clemson and the Rose Bowl against Georgia and I SAW OU's defense get hammered when matched against other top tier teams. Like I said OU will not win a NC playing lackluster defense. IF Texas and or WVA offenses are on par with OU's then I predict we lose those games. And yes I would fire Stoops. Just my opinion

Eric
09-23-2018, 01:38 PM
And just to get into the playoff, perception matters. This doesn't help that. And likely won't be forgotten.

I'm an OSU fan (I know we were overrated...), but I was slightly surprised that all the heat is coming on to the defense. Was the offense not expected to drop 40 or so on these guys?

Laramie
09-23-2018, 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqb8Tq3neNM

SEMIweather
09-23-2018, 03:20 PM
And just to get into the playoff, perception matters. This doesn't help that. And likely won't be forgotten.

I'm an OSU fan (I know we were overrated...), but I was slightly surprised that all the heat is coming on to the defense. Was the offense not expected to drop 40 or so on these guys?

Pretty tough for the offense to drop 40 when they had the ball for literally 15 minutes of regulation.

Bill Robertson
09-23-2018, 03:27 PM
We lost to Iowa State (8-5) last year and ended up ranked #2. Our Big 12 opponents play more predictable offense than Army that we’re much more used to seeing. If we play like we’re capable of we’re fine. If not I’ll probably join the something needs to change bandwagon.

Urbanized
09-23-2018, 07:52 PM
^^^^^^^^
Yup. WAY too much overreaction to this game. It was a trap game from the get-go. Unless OU is playing another super-disciplined triple option offense between now and wherever they end up, there won’t be another one that looks like this one. Incredibly tough offense to prepare for, and the OU offense - while a bit less potent than recent weeks - mostly never had the ball and had to sit on the sidelines while Army churned endlessly down the field.

The defense has looked vastly improved so far this season thanks to some upgraded recruiting, and this game is probably not much of an indication of what they’ll look like going forward.

If anything I think it’s good that OU got seriously challenged early in the season without actually losing. Should kill off any creeping overconfidence and cause them to give respect to everyone they play from here on out.

Jake
09-23-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm usually a doom and gloom guy on here about sports, but the Army game, while underwhelming, didn't really bother me that much.

OU just has to win.

Ugly or not, they just have to win games. If they win every single game from here on out by 3 points, they're in the playoff. Now, is OU a playoff caliber team? I don't know, maybe. But they just need to focus on each game in front of them, not a game they won in overtime that wasn't "good" enough.

okatty
09-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Good news - neither Ga. Tech or Navy on the schedule.:)

SoonerDave
09-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Well, even given the option offense, OU still struggles with fundamentals on tackling and proper angles, no matter the offense. Many of Army's 88 plays were due at least in part to some really poor tackling and terrible discipline on the edges. And Khalil Haughton (sp) just continues to struggle.

Urbanized
09-24-2018, 06:54 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree that tackling fundamentals were underwhelming at times. They have work to do; no question.

My only point is that this offense was a serious outlier, OU was tested, managed to survive, and probably won’t be reading their own press clippings for a few more weeks. Not a terrible situation unless they don’t learn from it and progress from here.

We know what we have in this offense, the D has shown promise and definite athletic improvement. They’re undefeated. Throwing in the towel as fans right now is utter stupidity.

Laramie
09-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Great to have confidence, something Sooner players cherish.

Army should have taken the ball first in the OT after winning the coin toss. The strategy was to tie the game in OT and go for the kill (2pt conversion). They had the Sooner defense on their heels with very little rest. They chose to put their defense out there having dodged a bullet prior to OT. OU's defense had just enough rest to catch that 2nd wind and disrupt Army; it kept the Black Knights second-guessing and under extreme pressure. Stoops did instruct the defense to dial up the pressure on the QB, forced him to make quick decisions.

Sooner Magic; maybe... Up next, Baylor--nice to get battle-tested. IMO: Sooners appeared cocky following the UCLA win.

emtefury
09-25-2018, 08:58 PM
The defense will not improve until Mike Stoops is fired. The constant in the defense is Stoops being there for seven years. The players have come and gone.

PhiAlpha
09-26-2018, 06:47 AM
The defense will not improve until Mike Stoops is fired. The constant in the defense is Stoops being there for seven years. The players have come and gone.

People said the same about Brent Venables when they brought Mike Stoops back in then he left and is now one of the most successful coordinators in the NCAA. It isn’t all the coaches fault.

Laramie
09-30-2018, 10:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_xmPmnUZ0

gopokes88
09-30-2018, 06:54 PM
The defense will not improve until OU leaves the big 12. The constant in the defense is being in the big 12. The players have come and gone.

There ya go. Fixed it for you.

traxx
10-01-2018, 07:51 AM
People said the same about Brent Venables when they brought Mike Stoops back in then he left and is now one of the most successful coordinators in the NCAA. It isn’t all the coaches fault.

Yeah and Brent has a lot of pretty average offenses since he's been gone. If you made Brent and Mike trade places right now, I don't think either program would see much difference defensively.

Brent and Mike coached together for several years so they do have some overlapping defensive philosophies. Like having smaller defensive backs. Their idea behind it is to have smaller and faster backs that are faster and can cover more field but neither Mike's nor Brent's DBs could seem to cover much of anything and are too undersized to compete against larger WRs.

PhiAlpha
10-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Yeah and Brent has a lot of pretty average offenses since he's been gone. If you made Brent and Mike trade places right now, I don't think either program would see much difference defensively.

Brent and Mike coached together for several years so they do have some overlapping defensive philosophies. Like having smaller defensive backs. Their idea behind it is to have smaller and faster backs that are faster and can cover more field but neither Mike's nor Brent's DBs could seem to cover much of anything and are too undersized to compete against larger WRs.

The secondary seems to have improved quite a bit this year though the bar has been set pretty low. They’re more aggressive, making plays on the ball that I don’t remember seeing over the last few seasons and breaking up/nearly intercepting balls that would’ve been completions in years passed. Some stuff still gets by them, but overall it’s a marked improvement so far and most of that has been from young guys stepping up that still have room to grow. Hopefully they keep improving as WVU looks really good without Greir at QB.

okatty
10-01-2018, 10:19 AM
OU - Texas line is 7.5 (can buy it down to 7 at -120). Game Day at the Fair. Think I can smell the corn dogs already!:)

Laramie
10-05-2018, 04:07 PM

https://bigtex.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/redrivershowdown_4-1.jpg
Saturday, October 6, 2018

11 a.m.

TV: KOKH 25, Oklahoma City

College Gay Day 8 a.m. ESPN

https://visitdallas.imgix.net/Cotton_Bowl_Stadium_TX-OU.jpg?w=360&h=300&fit=crop&crop=entropy,faces&q=60&fm=pjpg&auto=compress,enhance,format,redeye&trim=auto

Dustin
10-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Booomeeerrrrrrr

soooooneeerrrrr!!!!

Jake
10-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Oklahoma will never win anything substantial unless they get a better defense. As of now, it's 24-10 Texas.

Oklahoma has been exposed. They just has to hope for a New Year's 6 bowl now.

dcsooner
10-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Oklahoma will never win anything substantial unless they get a better defense. As of now, it's 24-10 Texas.

Oklahoma has been exposed. They just has to hope for a New Year's 6 bowl now.

Natl Championships are won with defense and OU defense continues to open like the Red Sea. How many years will our DB be exposed. When will we tackle someone? Eben IF we luckily win this game, OU is not a top 8 team. I've advocated to Stoops firing for 4-5 years, but OU continues to keep him. I'm going golfing.

Jake
10-06-2018, 12:08 PM
OU hasn't stoped a single team in the red zone the entire season. That is honestly incredible.

Midtowner
10-06-2018, 12:33 PM
OU is not a top 25 team with this defense. It's time to clean house with the defense coaching staff. A program like OU shouldn't accept such mediocrity.

chuck5815
10-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Well, I think it’s probably High Time that we fire Mike Stoops. Whatever sweetheart deal Bob worked out for him needs to be terminated effective this Monday.

kevin lee
10-06-2018, 02:21 PM
It's hard to clean house when big brother is still walking around the building as much as the janitor.

okatty
10-06-2018, 04:04 PM
OU hasn't stoped a single team in the red zone the entire season. That is honestly incredible.

And most of the are touchdowns as opposed to FGs. I agree - hard to believe. Dumb luck would have a team turn it over or miss a FG. NOPE. 100% success (or failure from OU’s standpoint).

emtefury
10-06-2018, 09:48 PM

It is the coaches fault. The coach also recruits the players. Mike Stoops has ruined at least two (maybe three) years of a team with offenses that can win the national championship. It is not often you have two of the best college quarterbacks two years in a row.

mugofbeer
10-07-2018, 12:27 AM
I don't know about doing it now, but unless there is dramatic improvement in basic tackling, blocking and filling gaps, l am inclined to believe it's time for new blood on defense. M. Stoops has been there since 2012 and has had ample opportunity to recruit talent good enough and big enough to NOT be pushed up and down the field by Iowa State and Army, much less, Texas.
It seems he visits this low level of approval every year. IMO, it's close to the point where enough is enough.

mugofbeer
10-07-2018, 12:29 AM
It is the coaches fault. The coach also recruits the players. Mike Stoops has ruined at least two (maybe three) years of a team with offenses that can win the national championship. It is not often you have two of the best college quarterbacks two years in a row.

It is the coaches fault. They let the wrong one go back when Venables left and there wasn't room for both of them.

dcsooner
10-07-2018, 05:23 AM
OU presented us with another "instant classic" replay of a losing effort that OU fans can replay for years. We have several that occassionally pop up OU/Boise, OU/GA/, OU/ TX, OU/Miami/ OU/NE, OU/LSU/ OU/FL. We come up big losers against quality teams more that I can recount.

SoonerDave
10-07-2018, 06:40 AM
Yeah this one was something. It really blew up the OU defense....again. Sports Illustrated called it - said OU D and Mike Stoops (by name) were "exposed." Stoops somehow survived 2014 Baylor and the Rose Bowl; don't know if he can survive this.

SoonerDave
10-07-2018, 06:44 AM
It is the coaches fault. They let the wrong one go back when Venables left and there wasn't room for both of them.
They didn't let anyone go; Bob brought back his brother after being fired at Arizona, and Brent rightly felt he didn't deserve to be "demoted" back to Co-DC with Bob's brother. That's why Brent left. And a great example of why nepotism is A Bad Thing in business. OU is paying the price.

emtefury
10-07-2018, 09:11 AM
If Mike Stoops is not fired at the end of the season, then Lincoln Riley does not have control has the head coach and should leave.

BG918
10-07-2018, 12:39 PM
If Mike Stoops is not fired at the end of the season, then Lincoln Riley does not have control has the head coach and should leave.

This game was the nail in the coffin. He’s done at OU but will likely finish the season. The question now becomes who will OU hire to replace him? A proven veteran or young upstart?

floyd the barber
10-07-2018, 12:43 PM
That defense was unacceptable.

Riley deserves better.

And I will be sad to see Murray go. Hate to tell native Okies (as I am not from this state), some darker days are ahead for OU.

SoonerDave
10-07-2018, 03:25 PM
This game was the nail in the coffin. He’s done at OU but will likely finish the season. The question now becomes who will OU hire to replace him? A proven veteran or young upstart?

I have to believe Riley is smart enough to have developed a shortlist of candidates, particularly after last year.

mugofbeer
10-07-2018, 04:48 PM
They didn't let anyone go; Bob brought back his brother after being fired at Arizona, and Brent rightly felt he didn't deserve to be "demoted" back to Co-DC with Bob's brother. That's why Brent left. And a great example of why nepotism is A Bad Thing in business. OU is paying the price.

it wouldn't have lasted for long. One or the other would have moved on and it wouldn't have been the head coaches brother. OU let Venables leave. l think we are agreeing, Venables should have been retained, if possible.

mugofbeer
10-07-2018, 04:53 PM

l hope a young upstart who is a superb recruiter.

soonermike81
10-07-2018, 06:42 PM
How easily we forget that almost the entire fan base was calling for Venables’s head back then.