View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

SEMIweather
12-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Can pretty much guarantee that Rattler will be the starter next year and Mordecai will either be on the bench, or (most likely) transferring somewhere else.

dcsooner
12-29-2019, 04:49 AM
I left the game at half time. I will beat my standard drumbeat after these playoff losses. The B12 is a weak conference overall that plays gunslinger football for the most part. OU or any team coming out of this league will likely get beat under the new playoff format. The disparity in aggressive play was evident. That has been something I noticed while watching in person all our playoff losses the other team was simply tougher. Finally, I predict OU will not be invited to the final four in the near term unless there is no viable alternative team much like this year.

SEMIweather
12-29-2019, 06:34 AM
My "hot take" is that either Riley is going to win a title at OU during the next 2-3 years of the Rattler era, or he's probably leaving for the NFL once Rattler graduates/declares early for the draft and OU isn't going to win a title for a long, long time. OU should have won the title in 2017 if not for nepotism, last year's team obviously should have been a lot better on defense as well but probably wouldn't have hung with Bama and Clemson regardless. This year's team clearly was patched together with duct tape and chewing gum and was fairly fortunate to make it as far as they did, but it was a transitional year so I can't say I'm too disappointed in how everything went, all things considered. Next year will be very interesting, as the team did make some big strides on defense under Grinch this year despite yesterday's implosion, and I also want to see how Rattler does as I do feel he has the potential to be a generational talent at QB.

chuck5815
12-29-2019, 06:35 AM
I left the game at half time. I will beat my standard drumbeat after these playoff losses. The B12 is a weak conference overall that plays gunslinger football for the most part. OU or any team coming out of this league will likely get beat under the new playoff format. The disparity in aggressive play was evident. That has been something I noticed while watching in person all our playoff losses the other team was simply tougher. Finally, I predict OU will not be invited to the final four in the near term unless there is no viable alternative team much like this year.

OU has essentially become the football equivalent of the Kansas Jayhawk Basketball program.

Both schools have marginally superior talent to the rest of the Farmer Tad Conference and typically manage to dominate meaningless non-con games and roll through a Charmin soft conference, only to lose in embarrassing fashion during the games that actually mean something.

Would the game have been closer if OU wasn’t missing 4 or 5 key defenders? Sure. But it’s pretty apparent that OU has lacked the type of talent it needs (elite interior pieces) on defense for some time now. Tommy Harris ain’t walking through that door.

PhiAlpha
12-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Again, being in a weaker conference hasnít hurt Clemson at all. Theyíve won 29 straight and very well could push it to 30 and another national title. Blaming everything on the big 12 is just lazy and frankly, ignorant. It obviously didnít help that OU ended up down three starters on defense but they are going to have to continue the recruiting surge on defense to improve in the playoff. It is OUís fault alone that this keeps happening. You canít blame anyone other than the coaching staff. That said, given what they had to work with this year with Hurts at QB, all the linemen we had to replace, and what little Grinch had to work with in his first year...it was a hell of a coaching job to even get us there. Recruiting on defense will have to continue to improve or we will never have any real shot. We will continue to make it to the playoff if we are undefeated and will likely still get in over most one loss teams if we win the conference, lose to decent or good teams and keep attempting to play a tougher non-conference schedule than the majority of the NCAA.

To put things into perspective, out of 130 schools in the FBS, 11 total have made it to the playoff. 6 of those teams have won at least one game and only 3 have won the title. Only 4 of those 11 teams have gotten repeat bids to the CFP and only Clemson and Alabama have made it to the CFP more often than OU so OU despite our inability to win, OU is still in good company, especially when you look at the entire field...I would much rather win a game or two but to act like OU is some joke of a program in a joke of a conference is an extreme over reaction.

Laramie
12-29-2019, 09:17 AM
Again, being in a weaker conference hasnít hurt Clemson at all. Theyíve won 29 straight and very well could push it to 30 and another national title. Blaming everything on the big 12 is just lazy and frankly, ignorant. It obviously didnít help that OU ended up down three starters on defense but they are going to have to continue the recruiting surge on defense to improve in the playoff. It is OUís fault alone that this keeps happening. You canít blame anyone other than the coaching staff. That said, given what they had to work with this year with Hurts at QB, all the linemen we had to replace, and what little Grinch had to work with in his first year...it was a hell of a coaching job to even get us there. Recruiting on defense will have to continue to improve or we will never have any real shot. We will continue to make it to the playoff if we are undefeated and will likely still get in over most one loss teams if we win the conference, lose to decent or good teams and keep attempting to play a tougher non-conference schedule than the majority of the NCAA.

To put things into perspective, out of 130 schools in the FBS, 11 total have made it to the playoff. 6 of those teams have won at least one game and only 3 have won the title. Only 4 of those 11 teams have gotten repeat bids to the CFP and only Clemson and Alabama have made it to the CFP more often than OU so OU despite our inability to win, OU is still in good company, especially when you look at the entire field...I would much rather win a game or two but to act like OU is some joke of a program in a joke of a conference is an extreme over reaction.

+1, good observation and excellent response PhiAlpha.

Many programs would love to be in OU's position--regardless of the playoff loses.

Admittedly, fans were hyped for OU to advance to the championship and surely no one expected the team to get a behind the barn beat down. Players have to be more disciplined (RE: Suspensions handed down by Riley); like the direction the program is headed--it takes years to attract a steady diet of steady recruits to build the program and to replace those who graduate and more importantly leave for the pros early.

It would have been a tall hill to climb with those suspended by Lincoln Riley. LSU exploited the venerable OU defense; their players played exponentially.

Don't be surprised if LSU dethrones Clemson--the boys from the Bayou are solid at every position.

Pete
12-29-2019, 09:45 AM
It takes more than a year to fix what was one of the worst defenses in college football; and one of the worst ever for a quality program.

We made great strides this year but it will take 2-3 seasons and recruiting classes before the defense is national championship level.

Also, there were 3 incredibly good teams this season, which is unusual.

You can win conference championships with a good program but to win the National Championship, you need a ton of things to go your way. The stars aligned for LSU this season: a transfer QB that broke records; a coach nobody wanted -- including LSU -- found the right chemistry; they have 3-4 NFL quality receivers; have the best DB in CFB and an elite pass-rusher, etc.

When we last won in 2000, I believe we did not have one starting player miss a down due to injury the entire season. Think about that. And of course, down the stretch we won with defense.

PhiAlpha
12-29-2019, 10:19 AM
It takes more than a year to fix what was one of the worst defenses in college football; and one of the worst ever for a quality program.

We made great strides this year but it will take 2-3 seasons and recruiting classes before the defense is national championship level.

Also, there were 3 incredibly good teams this season, which is unusual.

You can win conference championships with a good program but to win the National Championship, you need a ton of things to go your way. The stars aligned for LSU this season: a transfer QB that broke records; a coach nobody wanted -- including LSU -- found the right chemistry; they have 3-4 NFL quality receivers; have the best DB in CFB and an elite pass-rusher, etc.

When we last won in 2000, I believe we did not have one starting player miss a down due to injury the entire season. Think about that. And of course, down the stretch we won with defense.

No suspensions in 2000 either. People also forget that our NFL caliber TE and one of Hurtís favorite targets retired mid season due to multiple concussions.

The success weíve had at QB has been pretty remarkable as well. Our worst QB of the last 5 years was the heisman runner up and even though he was much less talented as a passer than the previous two and was working with a depleted offensive line, somehow Riley built the offense around him, won the conference and made it to the playoff for his 3rd year in 3 years as a head coach. Yesterday sucked, no doubt, but this season was still extremely impressive by any teams standards (or at least any team not named Alabama or Clemson).

dcsooner
12-29-2019, 10:22 AM
You have every right to prop OU up but the facts do not support your excuses. I watched the play, first hand and the talent and intensity was markedly higher for LSU. I do not know what game you watched but both our offense and defense were manhandled by LSU. I would venture to say the several thousand OU fans leaving at the half would agree with me if honest. This was embarrassing for me as a Sooner Alum and fan since childhood. IMO no other way to view it.

Pete
12-29-2019, 10:24 AM
I consider any season that includes a conference championship a success.

What happens after that is largely based on fortune, good or otherwise.

mugofbeer
12-29-2019, 02:15 PM
You have every right to prop OU up but the facts do not support your excuses. I watched the play, first hand and the talent and intensity was markedly higher for LSU. I do not know what game you watched but both our offense and defense were manhandled by LSU. I would venture to say the several thousand OU fans leaving at the half would agree with me if honest. This was embarrassing for me as a Sooner Alum and fan since childhood. IMO no other way to view it.

Yeah, it was a bad loss and the team that went in there wasn't as good as LSU. What you need to o is find a less negative way to present it so people wont bash on you. It was an extremely successful year, the defense will continue to get new blood, the Rattler or Mordecai era begins and we'll get back again next year..Nothing wrong with this tem that a decent defense can't resolve.

PhiAlpha
12-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Again, 126 other programs wouldíve been glad to have the success we had this season and be in the playoff four out of 7 years. Not the desired result but per usual...this is a massive overreaction to a game in which even Vegas thought we would lose by at least two scores. Yes, youíre right, this season we didnít have the same level of talent that the number 1 team in the country did (which shouldíve been obvious after we slid into the playoff during a year everyone predicted we would take a step back) but your reasoning with the conference being the main issue, etc make zero sense and acting like OU is just a pile of crap because they canít accomplish what only 6 total programs have been able to do since the playoffs started and go a step father and win the whole thing like only 3 other teams have managed to do is ridiculous.

GoGators
12-29-2019, 04:40 PM
I have heard a few OU fans blaming being in the big 12 for the CFP woes. This is just absurd. Playing in the Big 12 has put OU In the CFP 4 times in 6 years. In a year that sees the PAC left out in the cold and the dismal ACC watching their champ prepare for the national championship, the argument becomes even more absurd. OU got beat by a superior team and that’s ok. Playing in any other conference this year (besides probably the PAC) OU isn’t in the CFP at all. Next year everything will be different. That’s why everyone loves college football.

Laramie
01-08-2020, 09:38 PM
https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-0b152ee72751cffcd3caea5d935b3667.jpg

Doolittle's 22 points carry Oklahoma over Texas 72-62 https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401169687

Jersey Boss
01-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Best game the Sooners have put together in early conference play. This game gave me hope that OU can be 3-0 in conference when Kansas comes in next Tuesday. Next up, ISU on Sat. in Ames.

SoonersFan12
01-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Best game the Sooners have put together in early conference play. This game gave me hope that OU can be 3-0 in conference when Kansas comes in next Tuesday. Next up, ISU on Sat. in Ames.

Sadly Sooners played their worst game in Ames

FighttheGoodFight
01-13-2020, 08:07 AM
On a somewhat related note on campus about OU. Lime and Bird are no longer operating in Norman at all. OU just signed a year long contract with a new scooter company.

http://www.oudaily.com/culture/ou-s-new-e-scooter-partner-veoride-rolls-up-to/article_f3c03898-3559-11ea-a47c-230759a20d02.html?fbclid=IwAR0Mq3ItS92ezooXQ1JHLEB FKsymhSlQqQEY2iiv6FyXIzYF123GOlhFiK8

dankrutka
01-13-2020, 03:46 PM
On a somewhat related note on campus about OU. Lime and Bird are no longer operating in Norman at all. OU just signed a year long contract with a new scooter company.

http://www.oudaily.com/culture/ou-s-new-e-scooter-partner-veoride-rolls-up-to/article_f3c03898-3559-11ea-a47c-230759a20d02.html?fbclid=IwAR0Mq3ItS92ezooXQ1JHLEB FKsymhSlQqQEY2iiv6FyXIzYF123GOlhFiK8

Pretty sure Lime is still in Norman, just not on campus. There were a bunch of them on Campus Corner on Saturday.

Roger S
01-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Pretty sure Lime is still in Norman, just not on campus. There were a bunch of them on Campus Corner on Saturday.

I can see them for rent all around the campus on my Uber app right now too.

Laramie
01-30-2020, 10:11 PM
University of Oklahoma Soccer Stadium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpWFVqilGcM

Accommodation for 5,000 seating with regulations for U.S. Open Cup play.

Laramie
02-01-2020, 05:22 PM
239th Edition--Bedlam in Norman @ Lloyd Noble Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLewXH6p1Y

BoulderSooner
02-03-2020, 08:20 AM
and OU now leads "the state basketball school" 140-99 all time

Lafferty Daniel
02-04-2020, 12:33 PM
and OU now leads "the state basketball school" 140-99 all time

That's like saying Texas has a better football program than OU because Texas leads the head to head by 15 or 20 games.

Also, it's helped OU that OSU is in the midst of one of it's worst decades of basketball. I'm guessing Boynton gets until next year with Cade Cunningham and then he'll be gone.

BoulderSooner
02-04-2020, 01:01 PM
That's like saying Texas has a better football program than OU because Texas leads the head to head by 15 or 20 games.

Also, it's helped OU that OSU is in the midst of one of it's worst decades of basketball. I'm guessing Boynton gets until next year with Cade Cunningham and then he'll be gone.

the difference is that ou and texas are basicly even in modern college football .. and no one claims one is much better than the other .. they are both "blue bloods"

OU is ahead of osu in basketball in about every metric all time

OU is the better basketball program

Lafferty Daniel
02-04-2020, 02:47 PM
the difference is that ou and texas are basicly even in modern college football .. and no one claims one is much better than the other .. they are both "blue bloods"

OU is ahead of osu in basketball in about every metric all time

OU is the better basketball program

Lol I'm sorry what? Look up who has more national championships (or in this case, actually has national championships), final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens and conference championships. Those all favor OSU. Who has two legendary coaches? OSU. Who has a historic arena that's been named the loudest in the country? Actually, let's strip it back and just go with who has an arena that isn't falling apart and a complete dump? OSU.

You really have no clue what you're talking about with the "OU is ahead of OSU in basketball in about every metric all time". I mean that couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing OU is ahead in is the head to head.

Laramie
02-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Really felt that when OSU hired Mike Boynton the program was headed in the right direction.

He's a young high energy coach who seemed to relate to the players. The basketball program (players, recruits) itself has taken a step back.

https://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/gallagher-iba-osu-oklahoma-state-basketball.jpg

Facility wise, Gallagher-Iba Arena is the best collegiate owned facility in the state. Once referred to as 'Cameron Indoor West'--Gallagher-Iba now topped Duke's facility by 4,000 seats.

SEMIweather
02-04-2020, 03:27 PM
GIA is a classic example of expanding too much. Extremely difficult to ever sell that place out. For that matter, when OU finally gets around to renovating or replacing the LNC, I would hope they reduce capacity to 10k or less.

SOONER8693
02-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Lol I'm sorry what? Look up who has more national championships (or in this case, actually has national championships), final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens and conference championships. Those all favor OSU. Who has two legendary coaches? OSU. Who has a historic arena that's been named the loudest in the country? Actually, let's strip it back and just go with who has an arena that isn't falling apart and a complete dump? OSU.

You really have no clue what you're talking about with the "OU is ahead of OSU in basketball in about every metric all time". I mean that couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing OU is ahead in is the head to head.

140-99 says it all. Too bad for little red-headed brother.

Lafferty Daniel
02-04-2020, 03:57 PM
140-99 says it all. Too bad for little red-headed brother.

Then I'm sure you'll agree Texas is the better football program since 62-48-5 says it all.

Lafferty Daniel
02-04-2020, 03:58 PM
GIA is a classic example of expanding too much. Extremely difficult to ever sell that place out. For that matter, when OU finally gets around to renovating or replacing the LNC, I would hope they reduce capacity to 10k or less.

They didn't over expand. It's just tough to sell the place out when you're having a decade of bad basketball. Take a look at OU football in the 90's. You're not going to have sellouts when the product is bad.

Eric
02-04-2020, 05:18 PM

I was in school there during the second run up for Eddie. My first year hardly any of those guys from the final four team were there, except McFarlin. They finished 4th in the big 12 that year, and each and every home game the student section was packed, even mid week against a nobody. Weekends were always full. And any game against, OU, Texas, Kansas and Missouri, didn't matter what day or what time it was. Only slow times I saw was Winter break, where the schedule is also a bit light with only a couple of home games.

So it can be done. They have just had such an underwhelming run for well over a decade now. Even with all the talent in the world Ford could muster up, it hasn't made a difference. Over history, OSU has only really had two good coaches. Frankly, OSU is not a basketball school. Two coaches just defied the odds. It literally took two of the greatest coaches the NCAA has ever seen to get OSU to the power house level. Right now it's a stepping stone (Brad Underwood for example) if they can muster some success.

I say all this as a fan and allum. It is what it is.

Midtowner
02-04-2020, 06:31 PM

I'm not an alumnus of either school, but this is kind of laughable. Championships? You're bragging about championships in 1945 and 1946. The football championship was in 1945. Apparently, while young men were fighting and dying overseas or helping with the reconstruction efforts, Oklahoma A&M was more focused on putting superior athletes on the field.

But as far as basketball, Oklahoma has the most wins in the NCAA tournament without ever winning the whole thing and more actual wins in the tournament (by two) than Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State has 6 Final Four appearances to Oklahoma's 5.

But yes. Loyd Noble is a dump. Carry on.

dankrutka
02-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Let's not forget OSU's basketball titles are from when the NCAA Tournament was essentially the current NIT. They're not real national titles. OU and OSU are very similar basketball programs with OU having a lot more head-to-head success. There is not much evidence to suggest OSU has a better program than OU.

Eric
02-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Let's not forget OSU's basketball titles are from when the NCAA Tournament was essentially the current NIT. They're not real national titles. OU and OSU are very similar basketball programs with OU having a lot more head-to-head success. There is not much evidence to suggest OSU has a better program than OU.

Are you suggesting the best teams were not invited to the championship tournament? I fail to see the point here. I mean, less rounds you could argue is easier to win. But it would be hard to make that case really. How many times do the top 2 seeds make it to the Elite 8? A lot. I mean, a 1 seed has won almost 40% of the titles. Only three champions have been seeded outside the top 4 (since they expanded to 64 in '85).

dankrutka
02-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Are you suggesting the best teams were not invited to the championship tournament? I fail to see the point here. I mean, less rounds you could argue is easier to win. But it would be hard to make that case really. How many times do the top 2 seeds make it to the Elite 8? A lot. I mean, a 1 seed has won almost 40% of the titles. Only three champions have been seeded outside the top 4 (since they expanded to 64 in '85).

At that time, both tournaments crowned a "champion." However, the best teams were invited to the NIT in the years OSU won the NCAA title. Winning a title in a consolation tournament is not the same as winning a title in a tournament with the best teams. The NIT was considered superior in the 1940s.

GoGators
02-04-2020, 07:16 PM
At that time, both tournaments crowned a "champion." However, the best teams were invited to the NIT in the years OSU won the NCAA title. Winning a title in a consolation tournament is not the same as winning a title in a tournament with the best teams. The NIT was considered superior in the 1940s.

Meh, you could make this argument for every NCAA national champion until 1971.

Lafferty Daniel
02-04-2020, 08:40 PM
I'm not an alumnus of either school, but this is kind of laughable. Championships? You're bragging about championships in 1945 and 1946. The football championship was in 1945. Apparently, while young men were fighting and dying overseas or helping with the reconstruction efforts, Oklahoma A&M was more focused on putting superior athletes on the field.

But as far as basketball, Oklahoma has the most wins in the NCAA tournament without ever winning the whole thing and more actual wins in the tournament (by two) than Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State has 6 Final Four appearances to Oklahoma's 5.

But yes. Loyd Noble is a dump. Carry on.

You can make this same claim with a lot of schools about a lot of things. Championships are championships. When is the cutoff year for when things don't matter anymore? 50s? 60s? 70s? Cause then we can go ahead and forget about anything Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer did right? Because people who are now almost 40 weren't alive for that.

And while trying to minimize OSU's more accomplished history, you failed to mention the gap in elite 8's, sweet sixteens and conference championships. OU also just recently passed OSU in the tournament win total. And it took OSU not winning a tournament game in over a decade to catch up.

But the biggest, absolute biggest reason OSU basketball is better than OU? OSU fans actually care about it. OU fans only care about football (but now are somehow HUGE Thunder fans, but I digress).

Rover
02-04-2020, 08:56 PM
OU #32 all time wins (60.8% winning). OSU #38 (58.6%). Head2head 140-99 OU.

Lloyd Noble isnít the greatest arena, but it is far from being a dump. Aggie hyperbole and hate showing.

dankrutka
02-04-2020, 09:31 PM
Meh, you could make this argument for every NCAA national champion until 1971.

Nope. Any NCAA titles prior to the mid-1950s is dubious, but your timeline goes far into when the NCAA tourney was considered superior. By the late 1950s, the NCAA tournament was clearly superior. In the 1940s, when OSU claims their title, it was generally considered inferior.

In any case, since the mid-1950s, the NCAA tournament has been popularly regarded by most institutions as the pre-eminent post season tournament, with conference champions and the majority of the top-ranked teams participating in it.

See Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament) that sources: Carlson, Chad (2012). "A Tale of Two Tournaments: The Red Cross Games and the Early NCAA-NIT Relationship". Journal of Intercollegiate Sport. 5: 270–271.

mattyiceokc
02-04-2020, 11:52 PM
You can make this same claim with a lot of schools about a lot of things. Championships are championships. When is the cutoff year for when things don't matter anymore? 50s? 60s? 70s? Cause then we can go ahead and forget about anything Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer did right? Because people who are now almost 40 weren't alive for that.

And while trying to minimize OSU's more accomplished history, you failed to mention the gap in elite 8's, sweet sixteens and conference championships. OU also just recently passed OSU in the tournament win total. And it took OSU not winning a tournament game in over a decade to catch up.

But the biggest, absolute biggest reason OSU basketball is better than OU? OSU fans actually care about it. OU fans only care about football (but now are somehow HUGE Thunder fans, but I digress).

From 2017:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-03-29/ap-releases-top-100-college-basketball-programs-based-poll
OU: #20
OSU: #34

From 2019
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/21/ncaa-basketball-ranking-top-25-programs-time/
OU: #24
OSU: Not ranked

OU has more all time wins and a better win percentage. I also like how you mention that OSU has more conference championships, but fail to mention that OU has more conference tournament championships. Also, OU has more NCAA appearances.

Get out of here with that OSU fans actually care about basketball. OSU basketball fans are just a wishy washy as OU basketball fans.

From 2015: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-posts-worst-basketball-attendance-since-gia-expanded/
From 2016: https://oklahoman.com/article/5480022/oklahoma-state-basketball-where-have-all-the-cowboy-fans-gone
From 2017: https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/osu-basketball-oklahoma-state-searching-for-attendance-antidote-as-no/article_aa338e46-e34d-5f95-9544-4afbc70f014c.html "But eight games into the season, Oklahoma State is 7-1. The Gallagher-Iba Arena average attendance is a meager 4,605 per game, worst in the Big 12." That sure doesnt seem like a fan base that "cares"
From 2018: https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/963930099132268545
From 2020: On Jan 18th (A Saturday), Attendance for OSU's game against #2 Baylor was 56% of capacity.

I'm tired of hearing this crap about OSU fans caring more. It's absolutely not true. And dont give me the excuse about the team being bad.

Eric
02-05-2020, 01:05 AM
And dont give me the excuse about the team being bad.

It does make a difference. Went to some sold out girls games during this slump period for the boys. The girls were making some nice runs at the time. In the early 2000's right after GIA expanded, you would have been laughed at if you suggested the girls would selling out games in a season where the boys weren't. It was implausible to even consider that happening.

The key really does seem to be winning.

If you have a Top 25 caliber program in there, that venue and the fans are second to none in this country. It is as thrilling of an event to be at as there is.

My first game as a student was opening night against Cincinnati. Coached by Bob Huggins, a team that ultimately went 31-4, Conf USA champs, that ultimately got them a #1 seed in the tournament. Compared to OSU who ended up with a 7 seed. Waited for hours to get in (first come first serve seating). Luckily made it in the bottom section. It was insanely loud. Back and forth game with us slightly pulling away late. The place was rocking the whole time but when Jonzen power dunks over a Cinci player late in the game the place just came unglued.

And Noble on it's best day is mediocre. Just depressing frankly. I remember having this perception of OU growing up that it was the "finest institution in the state" and superior to OSU in many ways, but I grew up in a two Aggie household so I was WAY more familiar with Stillwater. Then I went to an event at Noble while I was in high school and was frankly shocked that a venue like this existed on that campus (well...barely on campus).

Rover
02-05-2020, 08:18 AM
So, all the Poke fans are saying thy have a nice place to watch a substandard program play losing basketball. Lots of bragging rights. 😊

mattyiceokc
02-05-2020, 10:18 AM
The key really does seem to be winning.

But according to other OSU fans, y'all supposedly care sooooo much more. Winning shouldn't matter if that's the case. OU still had attendance in the 65,000-75,000 range during the Blake era. (Capacity was just north of 75,000 IIRC)

And Noble on it's best day is mediocre. Just depressing frankly. I remember having this perception of OU growing up that it was the "finest institution in the state" and superior to OSU in many ways, but I grew up in a two Aggie household so I was WAY more familiar with Stillwater. Then I went to an event at Noble while I was in high school and was frankly shocked that a venue like this existed on that campus (well...barely on campus)

And before the renovations to Lewis Field, OU fans thought the same thing about how depressing your football stadium was. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of criticizing arenas though. I'm pretty sure the topic was which basketball program is historically better, and the answer is OU

Nick
02-05-2020, 10:39 AM
As an OU fan, Lloyd Noble is a huge piece of **** and needs to be replaced. It makes a college basketball game feel about as exciting as a funeral.

GoGators
02-05-2020, 11:02 AM
But according to other OSU fans, y'all supposedly care sooooo much more. Winning shouldn't matter if that's the case. OU still had attendance in the 65,000-75,000 range during the Blake era. (Capacity was just north of 75,000 IIRC)

And before the renovations to Lewis Field, OU fans thought the same thing about how depressing your football stadium was. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of criticizing arenas though. I'm pretty sure the topic was which basketball program is historically better, and the answer is OU

Average attendance in the John Blake Era was 60,020

1996- 58,365
1997-61,482
1998-60,215

mattyiceokc
02-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Average attendance in the John Blake Era was 60,020

1996- 58,365
1997-61,482
1998-60,215

1996: 66,901 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1996&type=All&location=H
1997: 69,616 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1997&type=All&location=H
1998: 70,777 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1998&type=All&location=H

All of those seasons had at least 1 game at 74,000+

My 65,000-75,000 range is correct.

Your average numbers are including AWAY games....

dankrutka
02-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Let me take on some delusional OU posts that are now popping up:

1. OU fans in here acting like Gallagher-Iba is not a vastly superior venue to Lloyd Noble are kidding themselves. Lloyd Noble is not a great experience. GIA is much better.

2. My point earlier was only to challenge the idea that OSU is better than OU. People calling OSU "substandard" are being ridiculous. They are really similar programs that have both been historically good.

Homerism really is quite a drug.

SoonerDave
02-05-2020, 02:07 PM
1996: 66,901 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1996&type=All&location=H
1997: 69,616 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1997&type=All&location=H
1998: 70,777 Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1998&type=All&location=H

All of those seasons had at least 1 game at 74,000+

My 65,000-75,000 range is correct.

Your average numbers are including AWAY games....

Home attendance numbers at OU games during the Blake era were a fantastic work of absolute fiction.

Somewhere, somehow, they may well have convinced themselves they *sold* the number of tickets they reported, but in terms of rumps in the seats, forget it. I remember a KSU game one year where I walked in barely before kickoff, and had people BEGGING me to take their tickets. I sat in the chairbacks on the 50 yard line in the west upper deck, in a stadium where the endzones were (as a practical matter) empty and the sideline crowds looked like a highschool event. I remember asking myself, "Will OU football ever be a thing again?" And I remember thinking, at least at that time, no. And the announced attendance numbers were laughably false.

Eric
02-05-2020, 02:14 PM

This is a non-sequitur. Read what I wrote. I am not disagreeing. I am simply stating the fact that Lloyd Noble is not the facility that GIA is. It's not personal. It wasn't personal when me as a sane human could plainly tell that Gaylord was on another planet vs Lewis pre-Boone Pickens.

Eric
02-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Home attendance numbers at OU games during the Blake era were a fantastic work of absolute fiction.

Somewhere, somehow, they may well have convinced themselves they *sold* the number of tickets they reported, but in terms of rumps in the seats, forget it. I remember a KSU game one year where I walked in barely before kickoff, and had people BEGGING me to take their tickets. I sat in the chairbacks on the 50 yard line in the west upper deck, in a stadium where the endzones were (as a practical matter) empty and the sideline crowds looked like a highschool event. I remember asking myself, "Will OU football ever be a thing again?" And I remember thinking, at least at that time, no. And the announced attendance numbers were laughably false.

I'd been to Sooner basketball games and in the 90's early 2000's and thought the same thing. They would announce attendance of 10k and I would look around thinking, there was no way it was more than half full. I just assumed they were announcing ticket sales. Friends of mine would tell me they would get basketball tickets with their season football ticket purchases. Not sure if this is still a thing.

Eric
02-05-2020, 02:19 PM
As an OU fan, Lloyd Noble is a huge piece of **** and needs to be replaced. It makes a college basketball game feel about as exciting as a funeral.

Similarly pre-BP it was pretty easy for me to admit the substandard nature of Lewis Field.

Stew
02-05-2020, 02:39 PM
There's always next year.

BoulderSooner
02-06-2020, 07:27 AM
This is a non-sequitur. Read what I wrote. I am not disagreeing. I am simply stating the fact that Lloyd Noble is not the facility that GIA is. It's not personal. It wasn't personal when me as a sane human could plainly tell that Gaylord was on another planet vs Lewis pre-Boone Pickens.

your are correct the LNC doesn't have any bad seats every seat has a great view of the game

GIA every upper level seat has a garbage view of the game .. it is a terrible place to watch basketball unless you are close to the court

and oklahoma memorial stadium still is on a different planet compared to Boone

Colbafone
02-06-2020, 09:10 AM
As someone who attended OU and a fan of all Oklahoma based college sport teams...

OU fans are absolutely delusional most of the time.

jedicurt
02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
as someone who attended ou and a fan of all oklahoma based college sport teams...

Ou fans are absolutely delusional most of the time.

this!!!!!

FighttheGoodFight
02-06-2020, 12:18 PM
As someone who attended OU and a fan of all Oklahoma based college sport teams...

Both OU and OSU fans are pretty delusional. I mean OSU claimed a 1945 National Championship for football. It is just all so strange.

SEMIweather
02-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Both OU and OSU fans are pretty delusional. I mean OSU claimed a 1945 National Championship for football. It is just all so strange.

Lol pretty much every single sports fanbase is delusional in some way.

BoulderSooner
02-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Lol pretty much every single sports fanbase is delusional in some way.

one would almost call them fanatical

Eric
02-06-2020, 02:05 PM

The running joke in Stillwater in the 90's and early 2000's was that every person at the (football)games was either an allum or a current student.

Stew
02-06-2020, 03:56 PM
The running joke in Stillwater in the 90's and early 2000's was that every person at the (football)games was either an allum or a current student.

That was pretty much true unless the opponent was OU. When OU came to town a good portion of the crowd had never step foot in a college classroom.