View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

PhiAlpha
12-04-2019, 12:21 PM
The Big 12 wants OU to go for sure. You get more money for the whole conference. That being said. LSU and Ohio State really look like they are on another level.Ohio State may be on another level, but LSU gave up 38 to Texas and only beat them by 7 and made Sam Ehlinger look like a heisman front runner...which no one talks about. They're definitely good but are beatable.

Pete
12-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Nobody thought the Sooners could compete with Florida State in 2000.

You can't win it all unless you get in the playoffs. Get in, and anything is possible. At least the defense is capable of playing well, compared to the recent past where that wasn't even in the realm of possibility.

As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

PhiAlpha
12-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Nobody thought the Sooners could compete with Florida State in 2000.You can't win it all unless you get in the playoffs. Get in, and anything is possible. At least the defense is capable of playing well, compared to the recent past where that wasn't even in the realm of possibility.As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.Exactly. I donít understand the sentiment that winning a meaningless bowl would be better than losing in the first round. Iíd take a chip and a chair any day over watching from home with everyone else

Bill Robertson
12-06-2019, 11:38 AM
I donít see why the Big 12 would care whether it was OU or Baylor. The conference would get playoff income either way. The network televising the game might prefer OU because of the much larger fan base. But then being one of two playoff games I donít know how much difference the matchup makes in viewing.

SEMIweather
12-07-2019, 05:55 AM
Well, Oregon beating Utah last night was big for OU. Now today's game against Baylor is basically a play-in game, provided that LSU beats Georgia. If Georgia beats LSU, though, I think they're both getting in and the Big 12 champ is on the outside looking in.

Bill Robertson
12-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Well, Oregon beating Utah last night was big for OU. Now today's game against Baylor is basically a play-in game, provided that LSU beats Georgia. If Georgia beats LSU, though, I think they're both getting in and the Big 12 champ is on the outside looking in.
Absolutely!

Dustin
12-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Boomer Sooner!

Laramie
12-07-2019, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBG9dtPd_Ys

jonny d
12-08-2019, 10:40 AM
OU will play LSU in Atlanta. Much better than Ohio State, since OU's OL has been suspect this season, and Chase Young is a monster on Ohio State's DL.

bhawes
12-08-2019, 11:42 AM
LSU defense is a lot better since Texas game they had to get used to the Defensive Coordinator that came from the New Orleans Saints.

Bill Robertson
12-08-2019, 11:52 AM
ESPN radio is calling the playoff teams “3 possible winners and OU”. I hope OU can use such statements to get motivated.

Laramie
12-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Predictions: OU will open the playoffs Saturday, December 28, against LSU in Atlanta.

LSU, OSU, Clemson are undefeated. That Kansas State loss looms large in many ways. OU has been battle tested; they will see ď3 possible winners and OUĒ as bulletin board material.

dcsooner
12-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Predictions: OU will open the playoffs Saturday, December 28, against LSU in Atlanta.

LSU, OSU, Clemson are undefeated. That Kansas State loss looms large in many ways. OU has been battle tested; they will see “3 possible winners and OU” as bulletin board material.

Going to Atlanta, BUT, I expect the outcome to be the same as the last two playoff games I attended. A loss. I wish that I were more optimistic, but I am realistic. I continue to say the B12 is not a conference that prepares a team to compete in the current playoff format. in the BCS era a team could play a one game , winner take all and play above its talent level and maybe win, but even that was not successful for OU. Hope I am wrong but I am going to support the team happily with no expectations except for effort.

chuck5815
12-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Am I wrong or does OU +12.5 seem like really easy money? I just don’t see LSU running away like that.

Laramie
12-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Going to Atlanta, BUT, I expect the outcome to be the same as the last two playoff games I attended. A loss. I wish that I were more optimistic, but I am realistic. I continue to say the B12 is not a conference that prepares a team to compete in the current playoff format. in the BCS era a team could play a one game , winner take all and play above its talent level and maybe win, but even that was not successful for OU. Hope I am wrong but I am going to support the team happily with no expectations except for effort.

That's the nature of the playoffs. As OU continues to make the playoffs year after year it helps recruiting.

Whether OU advances to the finals will depend on many factors. LSU has more at stake than OU; they are the #1 team:

No. 1 LSU Tigers vs. No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
When: Saturday, Dec. 28, 2019 (3 p.m. CT)
Where: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta

Appreciate your support; enjoy the game dcsooner, there are no guaranteed winners.

BoulderSooner
12-09-2019, 06:25 AM
LSU defense is a lot better since Texas game they had to get used to the Defensive Coordinator that came from the New Orleans Saints.

the new passing game coord came from the saints

the lsu D coord (dave Aranda) has been there for 4 years

DKG
12-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Pete, tried to reply with quote but it doesn't seem to be working. I already tossed the Sooner Club materials, but it also included something for the tennis courts, gymnastics and I feel like one other project. I should have looked at them closer.

Bill Robertson
12-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Doesn't mean anything I know but Jalen Hurts is 3-0 vs LSU

Pete
12-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Jalen transferred from Bama and led OU to the playoffs while Bama stays home.

Fields transferred from Georgia and led Ohio State to the playoffs while Georgia stays home.

Burrows transferred from Ohio State and led LSU to the playoffs and could end up facing his former school in the championship game.

Such a strange series of coincidences, all in one year.

PhiAlpha
12-09-2019, 02:35 PM

If that's the case about OU and the Big 12, how do you account for Clemson's playoff success while playing in an ACC that is, and has been, by all accounts much weaker than the Big 12 during most, if not all, of the playoff era?

dcsooner
12-09-2019, 03:28 PM
If that's the case about OU and the Big 12, how do you account for Clemson's playoff success while playing in an ACC that is, and has been, by all accounts much weaker than the Big 12 during most, if not all, of the playoff era?

You make a valid point.

bhawes
12-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Vegas knows a lot of people will take OU.

bhawes
12-09-2019, 04:20 PM
the new passing game coord came from the saints

the lsu D coord (dave Aranda) has been there for 4 years

Thanks I knew someone came from the Saints.

bhawes
12-09-2019, 04:23 PM

The difference Clemson is recruiting a lot better than OU . Also putting more players in the NFL at higher level than OU the last 10 years.

Pete
12-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Heisman finalists just announced:

Joe Burrow
Jalen Hurts
Justin Fields
Chase Young

Jersey Boss
12-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Hurts shoul finish second with Fields and Young splitting the mid atlantic vote.

SEMIweather
12-09-2019, 09:01 PM
OU's best chance to stun LSU is for Riley to install some crazy rushing attack in the three weeks of downtime leading up to this game. Thinking something similar to what Baylor did against UNC in the 2015 Russell Athletic Bowl. To me, speeding the game up and controlling time of possession is by far OU's best chance to throw LSU's quick-strike offense out of balance. If OU attempts to outscore LSU I expect this game to go pretty much the same way that last year's semifinal went.

mugofbeer
12-09-2019, 09:25 PM
The difference Clemson is recruiting a lot better than OU . Also putting more players in the NFL at higher level than OU the last 10 years.

A much, much bigger talent pool is available in that part of the country.

BoulderSooner
12-10-2019, 06:11 AM

24/7 Composite rankings the last 5 years (this combines about 4 different recruiting services)

Year OU --- Clemson
2019 6--------10
2018 9--------7
2017 8--------16
2016 19------11
2015 15-------9

they have not recruited a lot better than OU

PhiAlpha
12-10-2019, 09:06 AM

That has nothing to do with DC’s original comment that it’s the Big 12 conference holding OU back when it has been better than the ACC yet Clemson has been able to win multiple national championships in the playoff era.

At any rate, not sure what stats you’re going off of but OU has more active players on NFL rosters than Clemson does currently (31 vs 27). Now if you were to split that into offense vs defense, that would be where you would see the disparity in favor of Clemson defensively. Offensively, OU has recruited as well or better than anyone in the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-03/colleges-most-represented-2019-nfl-rosters%3famp

Roger S
12-18-2019, 12:28 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-football-ronnie-perkins-rhamondre-stevenson-trejan-bridges-suspended-for/article_5085c408-21b9-11ea-91d3-bfdb693d7ece.html

Well this made things more difficult.... Maybe LSU will forget their helmets in Louisiana and have to forfeit.

Jersey Boss
12-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Perkins is the big hit. The other two not so much.

PhiAlpha
12-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Looks like LSU’s starting running back may be out as well.

Martin
12-18-2019, 01:16 PM
at least riley is saying that brooks will play. but... if he gets injured or isn't 100%, the sooners have been leaning on stevenson as his backup.

Roger S
12-18-2019, 01:20 PM

They have running backs? ;)

okatty
12-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Perkins is the big hit. The other two not so much.

Perkins is biggest, but go back and look at plays Stevenson made versus OSU and Baylor. It'll hurt.

Roger S
12-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Perkins is biggest, but go back and look at plays Stevenson made versus OSU and Baylor. It'll hurt.

Yep.... And it puts the entire load of the running game on Hurts and Brooks. While they should be fresh with the long break it's still going to wear them down unless CeeDee can take some pressure off of them with some quick scores to keep the offense off the field.

Jersey Boss
12-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Where did you see/hear that? The web has nothing as far as I could tell.

Martin
12-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Where did you see/hear that? The web has nothing as far as I could tell.

i assume he means this: https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/18/lsu-may-be-without-starting-running-back-for-peach-bowl-against-oklahoma/

Jersey Boss
12-18-2019, 03:07 PM
i assume he means this: https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/18/lsu-may-be-without-starting-running-back-for-peach-bowl-against-oklahoma/
Thank you Martin for the find. Thanks you PA for the news.

PhiAlpha
12-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Thank you Martin for the find. Thanks you PA for the news.

Heard it on the Sports Animal and there are a lot of posts on tigerdroppings.com about it. Sounds like an injury that may be just enough to limit him or keep him out of the Peach Bowl.

mugofbeer
12-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Yep.... And it puts the entire load of the running game on Hurts and Brooks. While they should be fresh with the long break it's still going to wear them down unless CeeDee can take some pressure off of them with some quick scores to keep the offense off the field.

Don't forget Pledger. He's not shabby.

okatty
12-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Don't forget Pledger. He's not shabby.

Agree but just not the hammer that Stevenson is and has not run the two back set which has worked pretty well at times. Maybe he’ll be our Roland Sales (you have to be old to understand this in OU history). :)

Jersey Boss
12-18-2019, 08:28 PM
There is an appeal process for this action by the NCAA. The article quoted Gabe Ikard who said OU is appealing the suspension.

bhawes
12-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Why are players suspended.

bhawes
12-18-2019, 08:42 PM
24/7 Composite rankings the last 5 years (this combines about 4 different recruiting services)

Year OU --- Clemson
2019 6--------10
2018 9--------7
2017 8--------16
2016 19------11
2015 15-------9

they have not recruited a lot better than OU

At the end of each of those years Clemson will get rated higher than OU base on being more successful.

okatty
12-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Why are players suspended.

Failed drug tests (reportedly). https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/key-players-suspended-for-cfb-playoff-semifinal

Mr. Blue Sky
12-19-2019, 02:06 AM
To lose Perkins for a game against the Heisman winning quarterback is awful news..

OKCRT
12-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Failed drug tests (reportedly). https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/key-players-suspended-for-cfb-playoff-semifinal

Was it PEDs? Anyone know?

Jersey Boss
12-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Tested positive for cannabinoids. It is in the link that Martin provided( #399) .

okatty
12-20-2019, 07:10 PM
More bad news for Sooners - strong safety Dellarin Turner-Yell is out of the Peach Bowl with a broken collarbone. :mad:

dankrutka
12-23-2019, 09:41 AM
The idea that student athletes should be suspended at all, much less for half a season, for weed just once again shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA. I mean, medicinal weed is legal in Oklahoma and any football player would be able to get a prescription. Moreover, their favorite thing to penalize is taking if a student athlete takes a dime while they rake in the money from their labor. On the other hand, serious crimes like violence against women are brushed and offenders get minor suspensions or can just transfer and hide it. It's all disgusting.

Jersey Boss
12-23-2019, 10:22 AM
To add to the discussion. MJ is not a performance enhancing drug. The NCAA should concern themselves with drugs that give one team an unfair advantage on the field of play.

mugofbeer
12-23-2019, 10:25 AM
The idea that student athletes should be suspended at all, much less for half a season, for weed just once again shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA. I mean, medicinal weed is legal in Oklahoma and any football player would be able to get a prescription. Moreover, their favorite thing to penalize is taking if a student athlete takes a dime while they rake in the money from their labor. On the other hand, serious crimes like violence against women are brushed and offenders get minor suspensions or can just transfer and hide it. It's all disgusting.

While I agree with you on marijuana suspensions, they knew the rules. There are a multitude of rules that are in place that are kind of silly but we abide by them anyway.
As far as players and violence against women, who are you referring to and when?

PhiAlpha
12-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Dan, I know we often disagree on non-athletics related topics, but as with your other sports takes, you knock it out of the park on this one. Even if the NCAA wants it to be against the rules or maybe it's against team rules, whatever the case, I could see maybe suspending them for a quarter, possession, or something minor to prove a point, but suspending them for one or more games is completely ridiculous, especially when it's legal now in so many states. It would be like suspending someone for underage drinking.

It all goes back to the issues caused by it being illegal at the federal level...should be decriminalized with the legalization decision left to the states though that's a topic for another thread.

dankrutka
12-23-2019, 08:45 PM
As far as players and violence against women, who are you referring to and when?

Here's a recent story on how the NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for violence against women just transfer to other schools and put students at those schools at risk: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/12/12/ncaa-looks-other-way-athletes-punished-sex-offenses-play/4360460002/

Currently, athletes are punished for making money off their own image or smoking weed, but rape isn't even an NCAA violation. As to solutions, activists are pushing for the NCAA to ban violent athletes: https://gatehousenews.com/predatorpipeline/call-to-action/site/dispatch.com/ The biggest response I hear to this is that "everyone deserves a second chance," which is true... but you don't get to choose where you get your second chance. It's always important to prioritize victims in these cases and that's not what has happened.

mugofbeer
12-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Here's a recent story on how the NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for violence against women just transfer to other schools and put students at those schools at risk: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/12/12/ncaa-looks-other-way-athletes-punished-sex-offenses-play/4360460002/

Currently, athletes are punished for making money off their own image or smoking weed, but rape isn't even an NCAA violation. As to solutions, activists are pushing for the NCAA to ban violent athletes: https://gatehousenews.com/predatorpipeline/call-to-action/site/dispatch.com/ The biggest response I hear to this is that "everyone deserves a second chance," which is true... but you don't get to choose where you get your second chance. It's always important to prioritize victims in these cases and that's not what has happened.

Thanks! I understand your point now and agree there appears to be a huge inequity. It sounds like someone needs to file a lawsuit against the NCAA to make the rules more equal. I think there will soon be a huge overhaul of the NCAA over a number of things. It sounds like this matter will be one of them.

SEMIweather
12-28-2019, 04:27 PM
So this game could be going a little better.

okatty
12-28-2019, 08:25 PM
To avoid commenting on the beat down, I will comment on the interesting substitution of Rattler for Jalen. Not sure what that was about - Mordecai has been listed as #2 all season and has been the first in (until today). When they panned to him on the sideline he appeared a little miffed.

Also, announcers said when asked if he was going to NFL, Lincoln said “probably not”....hmmmm.

Laramie
12-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Peach Bowl, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
Attendance: 78,347

Oklahoma 28 - Louisiana State 63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJglr8rAa_k

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401135278

Congratulations Tigers, got to give it up LSU on an outstanding Peach Bowl win.

Continue to reach the top 4 playoffs teams; our best days are ahead.