View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Martin
06-20-2019, 07:46 PM
brock vandagriff… you'd have to work pretty hard to get a more stereotypical classic football name than that.

Laramie
06-28-2019, 08:35 PM
De'Vion Harmon

6-1, 195 | Class of 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCt9i-8MXQ

Hometown: Denton, TexasSchool: John H. Guyer High School
Position: Point Guard - Status Signed Oklahoma 11/03/2017

Jersey Boss
07-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Looks to be a welcome addition for next season's team. Looking forward to November.

Laramie
07-21-2019, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_4YlK79s_c

SoonersFan12
07-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Ricketts have been named Mississippi State softball head coach, that is awesome! I wish Ricketts well!

Laramie
07-22-2019, 07:44 PM

https://english-club.tv/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Congratulations-to-our-winners-0-410x230.jpg
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/295/337/9337295.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Samantha Ricketts, one of the rising coaching stars in college softball who has directed the most explosive offenses in Mississippi State history, has been named the Bulldogs' sixth head softball coach, Director of Athletics John Cohen announced Monday.

Samantha is the older sister of Keilani who pitched for OU in the 2013 WCWS leading the Sooners to a National Championship.

The San Jose, California, native is among the best hitters that Oklahoma coach Patty Gasso has had in Norman. In her four years, Ricketts became Oklahoma's career leader in home runs (48) and RBIs (239), and is third in Sooner history in slugging percentage (.645).

Laramie
08-04-2019, 10:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8D9NeiLZL0

Laramie
08-04-2019, 10:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTit__xwCI

Colbafone
08-05-2019, 07:08 AM
So, from my understanding, there's about to be some turmoil with the new Cross Center. As you know, OU doesn't own it. For this upcoming semester, the entire center is sitting at around 25% occupancy. Anyway, August 1st was the deadline for OU to sign their new lease. The company that owns it wanted about 3x the money the OU had been paying.

Long story short, within 48 hours last week, OU Housing and Food closed down all of the restaurants they were operating and moved it all back to the Cate Center. They're going to reopen that cafeteria/restaurant space and I believe opening up all of Cate Center again. And I guess the leasing company is going to sue or take OU to litigation for not renewing (this part I wasn't as clear on).

The entire Cross Center thing has been a bit of a disaster.

Pete
08-05-2019, 07:56 AM
We keep getting odd info about this project but there is simply no way a housing company enters into a multi-million deal with a large public university (and vice versa) without a contract that specifies all the details.

I'd really like to understand what is going on here.

Pete
08-05-2019, 07:56 AM
We keep getting odd info about this project but there is simply no way a housing company enters into a multi-million deal with a large public university (and vice versa) without a contract that specifies all the details.

I'd really like to understand what is going on here.

FighttheGoodFight
08-05-2019, 08:08 AM
I do want to see how that was all set up. I can't imagine with the law team that OU has they would pull everything out without a plan. Seemed doomed from the start with the cost of living there.

Colbafone
08-05-2019, 08:38 AM
I heard that the leasing company, originally working with Boren, has an understanding they were going to sign a 25 year lease with OU. Gallogly came in, saw the amount of money they wanted and axed the 25 year lease and would only agree to a single year lease. The original 25 year lease to OU was something like $25 per square foot. After what happened with Gallogly, the leasing company now wants $80 per square foot. (I'm not 100% certain of these prices, but that's what I was told by someone who works for OU directly, but he also wasn't 100% sure on that pricing)

Literally, OU saw that and just immediately backed out, took absolutely everything g they had there out and moved it back to Cate Center.

SoonersFan12
08-08-2019, 04:32 AM
I heard that the leasing company, originally working with Boren, has an understanding they were going to sign a 25 year lease with OU. Gallogly came in, saw the amount of money they wanted and axed the 25 year lease and would only agree to a single year lease. The original 25 year lease to OU was something like $25 per square foot. After what happened with Gallogly, the leasing company now wants $80 per square foot. (I'm not 100% certain of these prices, but that's what I was told by someone who works for OU directly, but he also wasn't 100% sure on that pricing)

Literally, OU saw that and just immediately backed out, took absolutely everything g they had there out and moved it back to Cate Center.

I do not blame them

Colbafone
08-08-2019, 06:53 AM
I do not blame them

Absolutely not. Cross Center has been a really weird dissapointment. With any luck, the two sides can figure something out and maybe OU can just buy the entire facility to better accommodate it.

SoonersFan12
08-15-2019, 03:57 AM
Absolutely not. Cross Center has been a really weird dissapointment. With any luck, the two sides can figure something out and maybe OU can just buy the entire facility to better accommodate it.

I hope so!

Laramie
09-05-2019, 10:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MygQLsTey1Q

Laramie
09-07-2019, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cEvZAgKgk

chuck5815
09-08-2019, 07:27 AM
I don’t know how those Receivers could even see Rattler’s passes. The guy was throwing laser beams.

Jersey Boss
09-08-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm a fan of D1 college football and OU. It is an insult to the fans for OU and the Big 12 to be putting this level of competition on the field. Charging more than 20 bucks for what is an exhibition game is exploitive.

mugofbeer
09-08-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm a fan of D1 college football and OU. It is an insult to the fans for OU and the Big 12 to be putting this level of competition on the field. Charging more than 20 bucks for what is an exhibition game is exploitive.

Explore the reason S Dakota is on the schedule. Another D1 school backed out of their contract and OU couldn't find another replacement - unless the NCAA decides to get involved in scheduling, you can't force someone to play us at home. Joe Mussatto at the DOK wrote about it Sept. 5. Can't blame this on OU.

Jersey Boss
09-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Explore the reason S Dakota is on the schedule. Another D1 school backed out of their contract and OU couldn't find another replacement - unless the NCAA decides to get involved in scheduling, you can't force someone to play us at home. Joe Mussatto at the DOK wrote about it Sept. 5. Can't blame this on OU.

Read your cite and the justification for this game. That justification does not hold for 2 more FCS teams playing here over the next 5 years. Alabama was cited as paying twice as much for a low seeded FBS team. Alabama also had a 35/45 dollar ticket. OU charging 75 is something that Joe C. can change.

mugofbeer
09-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Read your cite and the justification for this game. That justification does not hold for 2 more FCS teams playing here over the next 5 years. Alabama was cited as paying twice as much for a low seeded FBS team. Alabama also had a 35/45 dollar ticket. OU charging 75 is something that Joe C. can change.

Fair enough. I would like to see the NCAA put a stop to it entirely. I do agree that absolutely no one wants to see these games. Otherwise, add 1 required exhibition game maybe every 2 -3 years where these D2 teams can play up to get a decent pay day and fans can see the 2nd stringers.

SEMIweather
09-11-2019, 08:21 PM
The obvious solution is for FBS schools to play an exhibition against FCS schools to replace the spring games that people like even less than these early-season body-bag games.

But, as a counterpoint, I will say that some of the top FCS schools are more challenging opponents than some of the bottom tier FBS schools. Note that Northern Iowa took a good Iowa State team to triple OT in Week One this year. The issue with OU vs. South Dakota is that OU is almost certainly one of the top 5-10 teams in FBS this year, and then South Dakota is likely going to be a mediocre at best FCS team this year. Those two factors will always result in a meaningless blowout.

BoulderSooner
09-12-2019, 05:44 AM
Fair enough. I would like to see the NCAA put a stop to it entirely. I do agree that absolutely no one wants to see these games. Otherwise, add 1 required exhibition game maybe every 2 -3 years where these D2 teams can play up to get a decent pay day and fans can see the 2nd stringers.

they are not D2 teams they are D1 teams

mugofbeer
09-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Splitting hairs. l think everyone understands the point. They may technically be D1 but they are FCS which isn't top division football. The point is, NO one in top division football should play FCS or D2 unless it is some sort of exhibition. No one wants these games on a formal schedule.

Jersey Boss
09-12-2019, 01:52 PM
they are not D2 teams they are D1 teams
FBS schools were previously referred as D1-A.
FCS schools were previously referred as D1-AA
FBS can award 85 full scholarships , FCS only 63, but can break them to partials. Also two totally different playoff championship criteria and methods for playoffs.

mugofbeer
09-12-2019, 09:16 PM
FBS can award 85 full scholarships , FCS only 63, but can break them to partials. Also two totally different playoff championship criteria and methods for playoffs.

Thank you.

BoulderSooner
09-13-2019, 05:44 AM

and to be more clear FCS and FBS are still D1

Football Championship Subdivision and Football Bowl Subdivision both in division 1 of the NCAA (and as such these are the schools D1 that are all in the ncaa basketball tourney )

okatty
09-13-2019, 07:28 AM
There are a lot of Sooners in Cali for the game this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the split is at the game. Last weekend UCLA reported 36K attendance at the Rose Bowl, and this week they offered 4 free tickets to people who attended that game.

Laramie
09-15-2019, 03:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RpcbGzGlk

okatty
09-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Very fun game. Old town Pasadena looked more like Norman/campus corner!

chuck5815
09-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Very likely that we could be looking at back to back to back to back Heisman Trophy winners:

2017: Baker
2018: Kyler
2019: Jalen
2020: Spencer

That would be pretty incredible.

dankrutka
09-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Very likely that we could be looking at back to back to back to back Heisman Trophy winners:

2017: Baker
2018: Kyler
2019: Jalen
2020: Spencer

That would be pretty incredible.

Why not go ahead and give a couple to some of Heisman's to OU's QB commitments and backups too?

okatty
09-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Current vegas odds have Tua 2-1 and Jalen 3-1. But last year they pulled it off the board when Tua appeared to be a lock.... and we know how that turned out. :)

Laramie
09-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Jaylen appears to play smart in not putting himself into harm way. Impressed with his play so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMpSBvyoxk

Charleston Rambo had an incredible game with a career performance. The offense has weapons; still think the offensive line is not as potent as last season. Defense is better.

mugofbeer
09-16-2019, 11:59 PM
They have barely tapped the potential of the receiving corp. With Lamb alredy a star, the freshmen phenomes trying to show they can contribute - hell, even Stoops kid made really nice catch, Rambo showing real ability is just icing.

sgt. pepper
09-17-2019, 02:57 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/heisman-watch-jalen-hurts-leads-tua-tagovailoa-in-seasons-first-poll/ar-AAHqxmc?ocid=spartanntp

USA Today first network Heisman survey has Hurts at #1

Laramie
10-14-2019, 08:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_uFRKVUBs

Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere of the Great State Fair of Texas.

Upon my arrival, my relatives were all enthusiastic about the game and what they predicted to be a Texas beat-down of Oklahoma. Being a guest, just remained silent; didn't engage in the back & forth or rub it in after the Longhorns' lost because they are as passionate about their school & team as I am about our Sooners.

Roger S
10-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Upon my arrival, my relatives were all enthusiastic about the game and what they predicted to be a Texas beat-down of Oklahoma. Being a guest, just remained silent; didn't engage in the back & forth or rub it in after the Longhorns' lost because they are as passionate about their school & team as I am about our Sooners.

Our seats were in Section 117. Right in the middle of Longhorn country..... Not sure why but they had put about 500 of us over there right in the middle of them all.

SOONER8693
10-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Our seats were in Section 117. Right in the middle of Longhorn country..... Not sure why but they had put about 500 of us over there right in the middle of them all.

Those OU seats are in the texas end to make up for those lost by the tunnel/ramp in the south end.

Eric
10-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Are the fans on the same side of the bowl every year, or does it depend on who the designated home team is?

Seems they could just short the visitor team those seats instead of sticking them smack in the middle of the wrong side.

Pete
10-14-2019, 04:47 PM
OU is always on the south side where the tunnel is.

I know this has been true since at least the 70's.

kukblue1
10-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Thinking of going to my first OU game this weekend. Any tips? Parking, tickets, how early do i need to get there to avoid all the mess. My current thinking is around 8:30 and parking at the basketball stadium. I have been to the campus and Norman only a couple of times so not too familiar with the area other than getting in and out from the south side of campus. Where are the scalpers and what are the laws? Like in Chicago I got arrest cause I was within 80 feet of the box office trying to sale a ticket. #whatever and at Notre Dame games you can't sale them on campus.

dankrutka
10-14-2019, 10:40 PM
I always park just south of Main Street, but Lloyd Noble is fine. If you are patient you can find a ticket for $10 to $20. Just hold up your fingers for the number of tickets you need and seek out fans, not scalpers. I’ve been doing it for 10+ years. Some people would rather pay $50 and have their tickets early, but you shouldn’t pay over $20 IMHO.

BoulderSooner
10-15-2019, 05:55 AM
Thinking of going to my first OU game this weekend. Any tips? Parking, tickets, how early do i need to get there to avoid all the mess. My current thinking is around 8:30 and parking at the basketball stadium. I have been to the campus and Norman only a couple of times so not too familiar with the area other than getting in and out from the south side of campus. Where are the scalpers and what are the laws? Like in Chicago I got arrest cause I was within 80 feet of the box office trying to sale a ticket. #whatever and at Notre Dame games you can't sale them on campus.

depends on if you live south (or south and east ) or north of norman if you live north of norman i would park just north of campus around campus corner the corner of asp and boyd is the mecca of pre game tickets and as the other poster said if you only need a single you should be good aorund 20-40 bucks as long as you wait it out (face is 75 i think)

there are no scalping laws in cleavand county so you are good there

kukblue1
10-15-2019, 10:00 AM
depends on if you live south (or south and east ) or north of norman if you live north of norman i would park just north of campus around campus corner the corner of asp and boyd is the mecca of pre game tickets and as the other poster said if you only need a single you should be good aorund 20-40 bucks as long as you wait it out (face is 75 i think)

there are no scalping laws in cleavand county so you are good there

Thanks for all the help. I live near Yukon/OKC so i can either come in from the north or go down Hwy 4 to 9 and come in from the south thru riverwind. It's about 5 minutes longer for me that way but i'm thinking maybe a bit less traffic. I'll be need 3 tickets which I know is a hard amount to get together but I have heard from others if I wait 15 minutes for kickoff I'm in the $30 range. If it rains I'm sure i'm in that range an hour or two before kick off. :)

FighttheGoodFight
10-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the help. I live near Yukon/OKC so i can either come in from the north or go down Hwy 4 to 9 and come in from the south thru riverwind. It's about 5 minutes longer for me that way but i'm thinking maybe a bit less traffic. I'll be need 3 tickets which I know is a hard amount to get together but I have heard from others if I wait 15 minutes for kickoff I'm in the $30 range. If it rains I'm sure i'm in that range an hour or two before kick off. :)

Go early and enjoy homecoming! Always a fun time!

mugofbeer
10-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Was it just my section or did the fans seem a lot more rowdy - due to beer sales?

FighttheGoodFight
10-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Was it just my section or did the fans seem a lot more rowdy - due to beer sales?

I've been going since the early 2000s. It has always felt rowdy at OU games. Compared to Dallas Cowboys or Thunder games people just get wild.

Rover
10-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Is it just me that thinks this is a funny question from "Mug O Beer"? :)

Jersey Boss
10-16-2019, 11:19 AM

I would think the proliferation of dispensaries would mellow the crowd out.

MikeLucky
10-17-2019, 02:40 PM
OU is always on the south side where the tunnel is.

I know this has been true since at least the 70's.

So the story goes that originally the "home" team could choose which side they wanted for the year. But, after the first few years OU was always South and texas North. When the last contract negotiation came up, they just dropped the provision since both teams liked their sides as they were, it seemed. But, texas officials got mad because the option for the "home" team was dropped, so they re-wrote it to add it back in. So, it seemed that maybe they were interested in changing it up in their years of choice. Nope, didn't ever plan on picking the South end, but they just didn't like that the option had been dropped without discussing it first. lol. That is texas admin/fans personality in a nutshell. lol

mugofbeer
10-17-2019, 06:12 PM
I would think the proliferation of dispensaries would mellow the crowd out.

I was referring to Dallas. I think last time l heard that many f-bombs thrown was in college. Had a brief fight right next to me that pushed into an elderly couple. Two others asking to fight a few rows in front with rowdies behind me. Maybe it was just my section.

jedicurt
10-18-2019, 10:17 AM
I was referring to Dallas. I think last time l heard that many f-bombs thrown was in college. Had a brief fight right next to me that pushed into an elderly couple. Two others asking to fight a few rows in front with rowdies behind me. Maybe it was just my section.

i had those experiences almost every RRS back in the 2000's... i haven't gone in over 10 years... but i can tell you that this was my common experience most years back then

Laramie
10-19-2019, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVg2rx-NI8

chuck5815
10-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Well, it was a nice season. Next time we borrow some Studs from Alabama for a year, we should make sure they are guys who can tackle.

Shades of Mike Stoops out there today.

Laramie
10-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Well, it was a nice season. Next time we borrow some Studs from Alabama for a year, we should make sure they are guys who can tackle.

Good point.

Give it up to the KSU Wildcats who played an almost flawless game on offense; their defense kept our Sooners in check for most of the game.

OU defense didn't have any room for errors; lets also face it, our offense lacked aggressiveness.

Hope we can run the tables--this we be the only chance we have to make the top 4 playoff teams.

OKCRT
10-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Maybe they were trying to create turnovers instead of wrapping up? All I heard this past week is that Grinch wanted more turnovers.

SEMIweather
10-27-2019, 05:52 PM
OU has been good for one inexplicable October regular-season loss per year under Riley. Hopefully they can turn it around again, I still think they have a decent shot to sneak in at 12-1. If they lose another one, they are toast.