View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

soonerheart
01-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Give them credit, this maybe Saban’s best team. They have been recruiting much better than OU for a long time.

In spite of our Orange Bowl frustrations it’s been a good season for OU.

OU has dominated the Big 12 but the future of OU football looks even brighter.

Riley is signing a contract that should keep him at OU for a very long time.
Recruiting has markedly improved and has improved by ranking each year since Riley has been at OU.
OU appears to be shifting its recruiting strategy by signing more players who will eventually help OU play with more physicality on defense.

OU signed 6, 4 star defensive players in last year’s class and 7, 4 star players in this most recent class. This was done without a DC and 100% in players believing in Riley. But this is more defensive talent by ranking than we have seen coming to OU in recent other years.

Riley signed by some accounts the nation’s number one QB and 2, 5 star WR with the possibility on adding a third 5 star this Saturday.

With more soon on the way the staff changes so far are considered upgrades by the players. OU will as always have key people to replace but the fight we saw in our players isn’t going away under Riley.

There are new stadium improvements on the way for next season but if OU wants to keep the programs momentum going forward the administration boosters and fans will need to become very serious in the next few years about starting the west side construction project or risk being passed by the other major powers. This would eventually make recruiting tougher.

hoya
01-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Well, Georgia just got bent over by Texas and took the long end of the horn, so to speak. UGA scored at the end of the game to make it look closer than it was, but really UT dominated the Bulldogs. Ohio State won a close game against a completely non-threatening Washington that absolutely nobody was afraid of. The playoff committee got it right.

The problem right now is that Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders better than everyone else in college football right now. This is probably Alabama's best team, ever. And in years like that, teams that are "all time great" tend to win.

Quicker
01-04-2019, 01:03 PM
OU has found their next defensive coordinator. I really like the quotes from him in this Oklahoman story...

‘’None of Grinch’s Washington State teams forced fewer than 23 turnovers.

“Takeaways equal victories,” Grinch told ESPN.com in 2016. “It’s the only reason we’re out there, to get the ball back for the offense. A lot of people don’t think like that. They look at it more that you’re trying to limit yards. But you’re there on defense for one reason, to get the ball back. If you’re playing defense in basketball, no one is confused as to why you’re playing defense. It’s to get the basketball. It’s the same thing in football.

“We’re trying to brainwash our guys into believing that, so every single practice we’re stripping it, grabbing at it and trying to knock it loose.”

This season’s Buckeyes forced 23 turnovers.‘’

https://newsok.com/article/5619383/sooners-set-to-hire-ohio-state-co-defensive-coordinator-alex-grinch-according-to-a-report

PhiAlpha
01-04-2019, 02:01 PM
OU has found their next defensive coordinator. I really like the quotes from him in this Oklahoman story...

‘’None of Grinch’s Washington State teams forced fewer than 23 turnovers.

“Takeaways equal victories,” Grinch told ESPN.com in 2016. “It’s the only reason we’re out there, to get the ball back for the offense. A lot of people don’t think like that. They look at it more that you’re trying to limit yards. But you’re there on defense for one reason, to get the ball back. If you’re playing defense in basketball, no one is confused as to why you’re playing defense. It’s to get the basketball. It’s the same thing in football.

“We’re trying to brainwash our guys into believing that, so every single practice we’re stripping it, grabbing at it and trying to knock it loose.”

This season’s Buckeyes forced 23 turnovers.‘’

https://newsok.com/article/5619383/sooners-set-to-hire-ohio-state-co-defensive-coordinator-alex-grinch-according-to-a-report

So this time next year, the Grinch will be stealing footballs instead of presents?

chuck5815
01-05-2019, 07:18 AM
So this time next year, the Grinch will be stealing footballs instead of presents?

Boom!

mugofbeer
01-05-2019, 09:32 PM
As Coach Grinch rolls his eyes and mumbles how he's never heard that one before. :)

PhiAlpha
01-05-2019, 09:50 PM
Picked up the number 1 wide receiver in the 2018 class during the Army All American game today. Recruiting class is looking solid!

mugofbeer
01-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Outrageously good receiver class on paper. Maybe OUs best ever. They has good HS All American games. QB Rattler looked good, too.

Rover
01-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Three 5-star receivers signed plus the #2 rated tight end. Rattler was the consensus #1 rated dual threat qb. May be best receiver recruiting coup ever. But, letís see how they turn out.

PhiAlpha
01-07-2019, 08:47 PM
So according to DCSooner’s logic, it looks like the ACC is the best conference in the country and had everything to do with preparing Clemson to destroy Alabama. Wish the Big 12 was half the conference that the ACC is.....(sarcasm).

mugofbeer
01-07-2019, 10:04 PM
I think Clemson's entire defensive unit could just pick up and go straight to the NFL - maybe 2 deep!

Jersey Boss
01-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Tulsa World reports Austin Kendall entered his name in transfer portal.

jedicurt
01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Tulsa World reports Austin Kendall entered his name in transfer portal.

i'm predicting UNC is where he will end up

Bill Robertson
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Tulsa World reports Austin Kendall entered his name in transfer portal.Pretty much everyone is confirming it now. Speculation has it that he knows Hurts is coming to OU.

jedicurt
01-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Pretty much everyone is confirming it now. Speculation has it that he knows Hurts is coming to OU.

or knew that even if he stayed and Hurts doesn't come he would lose the starting job to Tanner Mordecai, till Spencer Rattler is ready

okatty
01-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Entering the portal doesn't mean he will transfer...... "Austin, return from the portal"

mugofbeer
01-11-2019, 11:58 PM
If Hurts IS coming here, l totally understand and wish him luck.

mugofbeer
01-12-2019, 12:02 AM
Or ...... is Kyler coming back???

okatty
01-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Mock drafts have Kyler #2 qb and 15th pick overall. $$$$$$.

mugofbeer
01-12-2019, 09:02 PM
what a problem to have. l still contend he could play NFL but he'd get hurt being comparatively so small.

okatty
01-13-2019, 07:04 AM
Appears that Hurts is backing off of OU due to no guarantee he’d be the starter. Austin Kendall is reportedly still in Norman (and school starts tomorrow). Kyler’s NFL deadline is tomorrow as well. Things should clarify in the next 24 hours.

okatty
01-13-2019, 03:46 PM
This is being reported about Kyler:

According to a source close to the situation, Kyler Murray’s number is $15M.

He wants big time money to stick with baseball, otherwise he will enter the NFL draft tomorrow.

The A’s are doing everything they can, sending their top brass, led by Billy Beane, to meet with him.

Jersey Boss
01-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Murray also needs to factor in NFL contracts are not guaranteed, unlike MLB. QB is a high risk to health position when you are his size and the defensive players in the NFL are not only bigger than college players, but faster also.
The A's would be making a bad business decision to renegotiate with a player like Murray w/o even knowing where he will be drafted.

Quicker
01-16-2019, 12:55 PM
Great job coach Riley....

"I’ve decided to take my talents to the University of Oklahoma, where I will continue my development as both a quarterback and as a student," Hurts wrote.

Hurts is the latest high-profile transfer quarterback to pick the Sooners. The Houston native was 26-2 as Alabama's starter before losing his job to Tua Tagovailoa.

https://newsok.com/article/5620451/ou-football-former-alabama-qb-jalen-hurts-transfers-to-oklahoma

Jersey Boss
01-16-2019, 01:22 PM
OU grad, fan of MBB and FB. Nice catch for Lincoln. This is outweighed by the horrible decision to block Austin Kendall from transferring to WVU. Kendall was a class act, graduated early and did what he was told to do. I feel this could impact the decisions of future players on where to go to school.

Rover
01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
OU grad, fan of MBB and FB. Nice catch for Lincoln. This is outweighed by the horrible decision to block Austin Kendall from transferring to WVU. Kendall was a class act, graduated early and did what he was told to do. I feel this could impact the decisions of future players on where to go to school.

Apparently there has been some friction there between the Kendall family and Lincoln for some time. I am sure he wasn't very happy but after all, he was behind TWO heisman winners. If he really wanted to prove something he should have stayed and proved himself right and compete regardless of who else was there. To be the best you have to beat the best. He obviously doesn't think himself capable of beating out Hurts.

I wish him success elsewhere but I don't know if he is a great kid or not....none of us probably really know. But he deserves to go elsewhere. I do understand the argument that a QB with complete understanding of the playbook is different than a safety or lb transferring to a team you will play at least once, and maybe twice in the next year. Tough call all the way around.

PhiAlpha
01-16-2019, 02:00 PM

OU didnít block him from transferring there, they blocked him from playing immediately .Itís common and within the Big 12ís transfer rules to block players from playing immediately at schools within the same conference. Tech did it with mayfield and tried to keep him from an extra year of eligibility and Kyler couldnít play for a year after transfering from A&M. If he was transferring out of the conference, there would be no issue. To say it overshadows signing hurts is a little extreme. It will have no effect on future recruiting whatsoever.

dankrutka
01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Lincoln blocking Kendall from transferring or delaying his ability to play is garbage under any context. Any coach that does this is a hypocrite IMHO.

okatty
01-16-2019, 04:56 PM
They have come to see the light - allowing him to be immediately eligible per George Schroeder.

Quicker
01-16-2019, 04:58 PM
AK certainly should have been aware of the rules when he entered the transfer portal and it wasn’t real bright to not work things out with OU in regards to securing the rule waiver before announcing his intention to transfer within the conference to WV...

...with that said, OU has now granted his release.

chuck5815
01-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Lincoln blocking Kendall from transferring or delaying his ability to play is garbage under any context. Any coach that does this is a hypocrite IMHO.

well, no, that's wrong. i think every one of us on this board has been on the wrong end of a non-compete clause at one time or another. championship level sports isn't any different.

Laramie
01-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Oklahoma grants QB Austin Kendall waiver for immediate eligibility at West Virginia: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-grants-qb-austin-kendall-waiver-for-immediate-eligibility-at-west-virginia/

BREAKING: Oklahoma will grant grad transfer QB Austin Kendall the waiver to be immediately eligible at West Virginia, @usatodaysports has learned: https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/1085679903167705090

SEMIweather
01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Oklahoma grants QB Austin Kendall waiver for immediate eligibility at West Virginia: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-grants-qb-austin-kendall-waiver-for-immediate-eligibility-at-west-virginia/

BREAKING: Oklahoma will grant grad transfer QB Austin Kendall the waiver to be immediately eligible at West Virginia, @usatodaysports has learned: https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/1085679903167705090

This is the right decision. Don't know why they bothered denying the waiver in the first place, as it was inevitable that they would back down after a wave of bad publicity, but better late than never I suppose.

Jersey Boss
01-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Props to OU for doing the right thing. GO SOONERS!

mugofbeer
01-16-2019, 11:23 PM
It was definitely the right decision. My thinking was that LR was seeing what Jalen Hurts would do. If Hurts had decided to go to Miami, Kendall would have likely been the starter - rendering the transfer decision a big mistake unless things just got too toxic between the two. It also would have left only 1 QB with on field experience and then, experience of only a few plays.

When Hurts chose OU, LR released Kendall to transfer.

sooner88
01-17-2019, 07:22 AM
They denied his immediate eligibility prior to Hurts' announcement.

Laramie
01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooURDgPzeAI
Height: 6′ 2″ Weight: 218 lbs
University of Oklahoma Sooners have a backlog of monuments to add to Heisman Park (Baker Mayfield & Kyler Murray).

Laramie
01-17-2019, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iahjmfZoSQ

mugofbeer
01-17-2019, 10:14 PM
They denied his immediate eligibility prior to Hurts' announcement.
OK, that fits in my theory

Laramie
01-18-2019, 06:34 PM
2019 Oklahoma Football Commitment List: http://www.espn.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/recruiting/commitments

okatty
03-22-2019, 05:58 PM
UH, how bout those Sooners today?!?!? The prize is #1 seed Virginia on Sunday.

That was playing about as close to full potential as you can get I think.

And KSU goes out before OU! Wow.

SEMIweather
03-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Already down to two Big 12 teams with a chance to make the Sweet 16. Also...this has been one of the more boring tournaments I can remember so far. After the first two games, yesterday was a solid 7 hours of blowouts.

okatty
03-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Already down to two Big 12 teams with a chance to make the Sweet 16. Also...this has been one of the more boring tournaments I can remember so far. After the first two games, yesterday was a solid 7 hours of blowouts.

Iowa must have heard you.....come back from 25 down and take it to OT.

Laramie
03-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Disappointed with early eliminations by Big 12 schools,

SEMIweather
03-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Iowa must have heard you.....come back from 25 down and take it to OT.

That was a great game, and then Duke-UCF was easily the best game of the tournament so far. This has to be the chalkiest Sweet 16 ever, though. When Oregon is the one Cinderella team remaining, you know it's bad in terms of upsets.

okatty
03-25-2019, 08:31 AM
^Yes, Duke was VERY fortunate to win that game. You are right on the chalk - think I heard it is the first time in many years (or maybe ever) for the top 3 seeds in every region to go thru. And two have 1-4. I guess it should make for some good games in the next round!

Va just smothered OU. Not much else you can say. A 10 point lead in that game was like 20 in other games.

okatty
03-30-2019, 08:56 PM

These tourney games are making up for early blowouts and then some. GREAT games!

okatty
03-31-2019, 07:13 PM
Elite 8 games were decided by a total of 18 points - least in tourney history.

And Big 12 has their contender in Final 4. Tech gets Mich. State (-2).

Laramie
04-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Oklahoma wins women's gymnastics national championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17AyFXNAsg

OUDaily: http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-women-s-gymnastics-twitter-reacts-to-sooners-winning-fourth/article_4045e9e8-63d1-11e9-b6d5-67d198cc8cef.html

okatty
04-25-2019, 08:16 PM
How about Kyler #1!!! Interesting that Browns/Baker visit Kyler/Cards in Week 15. Amazing to have back to back #1 QB picks. Pretty cool.

kevin lee
04-27-2019, 07:00 PM
OU is having a pretty good 2019 so far.

sgt. pepper
04-29-2019, 01:23 PM
I thought OU football was getting a quarterback from Alabama? Where was he during the red/white game. Is he not here yet because of being transferred, or is he not coming?

jedicurt
04-29-2019, 01:36 PM
I thought OU football was getting a quarterback from Alabama? Where was he during the red/white game. Is he not here yet because of being transferred, or is he not coming?

well on this play of the Red and White game... he was the one in blue

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2019/4/12/18308791/oklahoma-football-spring-game-jalen-hurts-lincoln-riley-alex-grinch-theo-wease-trejan-bridges

sgt. pepper
04-30-2019, 05:51 AM
i guess he was there....my bad, just have not heard much of him. THANX

BoulderSooner
04-30-2019, 07:19 AM
i guess he was there....my bad, just have not heard much of him. THANX

lol he started and played great

Martin
04-30-2019, 07:40 AM
i only watched for a couple plays... what was up with the knee brace? that had me a little concerned.

BoulderSooner
04-30-2019, 07:54 AM
i only watched for a couple plays... what was up with the knee brace? that had me a little concerned.

standard for OU to make the QB's where the knee braces in practice ... for precaution

Martin
04-30-2019, 07:58 AM
standard for OU to make the QB's where the knee braces in practice ... for precaution

that makes sense... i did see him rush one play and it didn't seem as if there were any issues with speed, so i thought that might be a possibility.

warreng88
06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
OU lands the #1 QB and the current #1 overall prospect in the 2021 class in Brock Vandagriff. I know it is still really early, but this is a big pick up.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27016456/sooners-land-another-top-qb-vandagriff-21

Pete
06-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Mayfield, Murray, Hurts... Then likely Rattler and then this kid.

It sure helps when you have 2 consecutive Heisman winners at QB, both drafted #1 overall and both start their first season in the NFL.