View Full Version : University of Oklahoma Sports

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lazio85
11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Nov. 28, 2018
Letter from the President: Executive Selections

Dear Sooner Family,

Over the past few months we have been working diligently to fill vacancies in executive leadership positions. We are following a process approved by the Board of Regents as we search for the best possible candidates for these positions. Ten executive and top-level positions were posted in August and September and advertised nationally to help ensure a wide and diverse set of candidates.

Once applications are received by the university, each is screened based on the requirements described in the job descriptions. Each position is assigned a search committee that recommends several candidates to me before I take the final recommendation to the Board of Regents. As would be expected, search committees for positions involving significant faculty, staff and student interaction have greater representation from those constituencies. Similarly, positions with multi-campus responsibilities have committees that include representatives from each campus. Input from Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, and Student Government was considered for the composition of the search committees.

I am pleased to announce that we are making great progress on the executive searches and that I will be presenting multiple individuals to the Board of Regents for formal approval at the December Regents meeting. If the candidates begin their service with the University prior to Board action, their service will be clearly noted as being contingent upon Board approval.

Sincerely,
Jim Gallogly
OU President

Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

This position is responsible for leading financial planning, providing strategic management of accounting and finance functions, record-keeping, and financial reporting. Scope of responsibility for the CFO includes oversight of Information Technology, Financial Services, Budget Office, and Bursar’s Office. This role plays an integral part in developing and implementing financial procedures to improve and maintain the financial well-being of the university.

Reports directly to the President

Candidate: Ken Rowe (internal candidate)

Ken Rowe has more than three decades of finance and administration experience in higher education and in the private industry. He joined the University of Oklahoma in 1998 and is currently the Interim Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer for the University. Prior to this role, he was the Vice President of Finance and Administration for the OU Health Sciences Center, a position he held since 2001. Rowe also held progressively more responsible positions at Bank One, Liberty Bancorp, and First City Texas.

He is a certified public accountant in Texas and holds a Master of Accountancy from the University of Oklahoma and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from East Central University.

Chief Audit Executive

This position will provide leadership, direction, and administrative oversight to the internal audit operations of all campuses governed by the OU Board of Regents: The University of Oklahoma, Cameron University, and Rogers State University.

This individual will serve as a trusted advisor to both the President and the OU Board of Regents. The position will oversee coordination of and responsibility for activities that promote accountability, integrity, and efficiency in university operations, ensure that university activities reinforce ethical conduct, and maximize compliance with applicable laws, regulations, rules, financial policies and procedures to assist in the management of university risk.

Reports to the Board of Regents and to the President

Candidate: Charles Wright (external candidate)

Charles Wright has over 20 years of professional experience in the audit field and recently served as the Director of Audit Services at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston, Texas. He also held senior audit positions for ATMI, Citizens Communications Company, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, GE Real Estate and Security Capital Group and Affiliates. Additionally, he has a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from Texas State University and is a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Texas.

Wright has extensive experience in the development and leadership of multiple audit functions to establish value-added internal audit activities. He facilitated Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) programs to drive risk ownership and accountability as well as diversified experience to strategically improve business processes and enhance internal controls. Wright is also a seasoned executive and has experience in communicating and collaborating with board members, senior management and all levels within organizations.

Vice President, Marketing and Communications

This position is responsible for the development of updated unified strategic marketing plans and dynamic public relations campaigns supported by best practices and data analytics and currently manages the video marketing, digital marketing, web marketing, special events, and media relations teams. The position’s goal is to build awareness of the university’s current strengths while also delivering engaging messages that advance and protect the university’s reputation and mission. The Vice President has oversight of internal and external communications for the Norman campus, Health Sciences Center, OU Medicine enterprise in OKC, and Tulsa campus through collaboration and teamwork with the President, executives, and academic leadership to ensure consistency and cohesiveness in delivered messages.

Reports directly to the President

Candidate: Lauren Brookey (external candidate)

Lauren Brookey has over 40 years of in-depth communications, public and media relations, external affairs and marketing experience in both higher education and corporate environments. She currently serves as the vice president of external affairs and the president of the TCC Foundation at Tulsa Community College, a position she held since 2015. Prior to that role, she was the vice president of external affairs for fifteen years. Before joining Tulsa Community College, she was a vice president and partner at Schnake, Turbo, Brookey and Associates, a public relations counseling agency providing strategic public relations counsel, advertising, marketing services, media relations and public affairs. She also held various positions with increasing responsibility in the areas of marketing, media relations and journalism with Ward Creative Communications, Metropolitan Tulsa Transit Authority, Tulsa Tribune and Tulsa World.

Brookey has a Bachelors in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma and has achieved Accreditation status in the Public Relations Society of America and was later honored as a Fellow in the Public Relations profession.

Executive Director of Governmental Affairs

This position oversees and coordinates the University’s positions and communications with state, federal, municipal, and tribal governments in furtherance of the University’s mission of excellence in teaching, research, and service. The Executive Director has a firm understanding of the workings of the various governmental entities and accurately and promptly identifies emerging areas of significance to the University. The Executive Director coordinates with appropriate University officials and offers recommendations to advance the University’s interests in the various governmental spheres. The Executive Director ethically cultivates and strengthens the University’s relationships at all levels of government.

Reports to the Vice President and General Counsel

Candidate: John Woods (external candidate)

John Woods has an extensive background in policy advancement, political advocacy, and government relations in working with federal, state and local municipalities over the last eighteen years. Additionally, he has had a multi-faceted career of press engagement, public speaking and media management. He is currently serving as the Executive Director for the Oklahoma Tobacco Settlement Endowment Fund and previously served for five years as the President and CEO of the Norman Chamber of Commerce. He also held the position as the Policy Advisor for the Oklahoma House of Representatives - Office of the Speaker and various roles supporting U.S. Congressmen.

Woods has a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Oklahoma.

Jersey Boss
11-29-2018, 11:38 AM
What does this have to do with sports/football playoffs?

Bullbear
11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
What does this have to do with sports/football playoffs?

is it a sports/Football playoffs thread or just University of Oklahoma?

Jersey Boss
11-29-2018, 12:22 PM
It is a sports forum and a OU sports sub thread.

Jake
12-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Looking like the baton may have been passed to Texas. They may run the Big 12 for the next few years.

OU needs to hope that we have another Heisman level QB waiting in the wings because the talent level on defense simply isn't capable of competing.

MagzOK
12-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Looking like the baton may have been passed to Texas. They may run the Big 12 for the next few years.

OU needs to hope that we have another Heisman level QB waiting in the wings because the talent level on defense simply isn't capable of competing.

Such a conclusion so soon? It's early 2nd quarter and only 14-6.

Jake
12-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Such a conclusion so soon? It's early 2nd quarter and only 14-6.

Gotta hope for the reverse-jinx on this one. Worked for the Thunder!

mugofbeer
12-01-2018, 11:32 PM
I hope Jake got his baton back. LOL

Laramie
12-02-2018, 12:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBOjnIu7JE

mugofbeer
12-02-2018, 10:43 AM
OU in the playoff! Next stop, Alabama in Miami!

dcsooner
12-03-2018, 06:41 AM
OU in the playoff! Next stop, Alabama in Miami!

Well, we got what we wanted OU in the National Playoff. Well, I should be overwhelmed with happiness and optimism, but I am not. I criticized my alma mater after attending BOTH their games against Clemson in Miami and Georgia in LA. I have stated on numerous occasions that OU's competition in the Big 12 does not prepare the team to compete well with the elite of the SEC or B10 or the Clemsons of the CFB world. I think OU is going to get embarressed and it will not improve the reputation of the B12 or OU which has become the butt of so many classic instant replays. OU is a VERY GOOD team, but elite this year, maybe not. At full strength we would be challanged to be Ala or Clemson with the injuries, I see a first round exit again. Some will say getting to the round of 4 three times is good and I do agree but an 0-3 record in those games suggests OU is ill equipped when slotted against more formidable opponents with all the marbles on the line. I'll watch this one from my couch and hope I don't turn away before halftime.

PhiAlpha
12-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Well, we got what we wanted OU in the National Playoff. Well, I should be overwhelmed with happiness and optimism, but I am not. I criticized my alma mater after attending BOTH their games against Clemson in Miami and Georgia in LA. I have stated on numerous occasions that OU's competition in the Big 12 does not prepare the team to compete well with the elite of the SEC or B10 or the Clemsons of the CFB world. I think OU is going to get embarressed and it will not improve the reputation of the B12 or OU which has become the butt of so many classic instant replays. OU is a VERY GOOD team, but elite this year, maybe not. At full strength we would be challanged to be Ala or Clemson with the injuries, I see a first round exit again. Some will say getting to the round of 4 three times is good and I do agree but an 0-3 record in those games suggests OU is ill equipped when slotted against more formidable opponents with all the marbles on the line. I'll watch this one from my couch and hope I don't turn away before halftime.

Not really sure how you can say that OU isn’t prepared to compete against elite competition in the SEC or the Big 10 when they more often than not beat the SEC and Big 10 teams they play during the season and in bowl games. It took Georgia 2 overtimes to beat OU last year and they scored 50+ points on the one of the top defenses in the country. Defense lost the game for OU but their defense competed just as well as Georgia’s did in that game and even had a touchdown off a turnover. The defense needs to be better and hopefully will be eventually with a new coordinator but to say OU can’t “compete” or wasn’t prepared to “compete” is just being overly negative like you always are. The defense has been abnormally bad this year and will probably be the reason we lose to Bama but they have risen up and helped win our last two games so who knows? Maybe they’ll surprise us in the orange bowl.

And Christ, we are not 0-3 in the playoff, we haven't even played the third game yet. We're definitely an underdog, but that doesn't mean it's an automatic loss.

Jake
12-03-2018, 08:33 AM
I would rather OU have a shot in the playoff and fail against one of the best teams ever than accept defeat and play in an inferior bowl game...against a team they may have lost to anyway.

Besides, as long as I comment on here during the game that they suck and are going to lose, they'll win. I'm 3-0 so far this year.

soonermike81
12-03-2018, 08:45 AM
I would rather OU have a shot in the playoff and fail against one of the best teams ever than accept defeat and play in an inferior bowl game...against a team they may have lost to anyway.

Besides, as long as I comment on here during the game that they suck and are going to lose, they'll win. I'm 3-0 so far this year.

Keep it up!!! Hoping the national narrative stays the way it is and gives us more motivation. I know we shouldn’t need this and these kids need to be able to get up for any game, big or small. But if the public is completely against us, it doesn’t hurt.

We definitely need marquise brown healthy and bookie to continue riding the pine, though.

PhiAlpha
12-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Exactly! The only way we have a chance to win a championship, however slim, is by playing the game. I would much rather lose in the playoff than win some somewhat meaningless consolation game in bowl. At least in the playoff you have a chance to do something greater.

PhiAlpha
12-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Keep it up!!! Hoping the national narrative stays the way it is and gives us more motivation. I know we shouldn’t need this and these kids need to be able to get up for any game, big or small. But if the public is completely against us, it doesn’t hurt.

We definitely need marquise brown healthy and bookie to continue riding the pine, though.

We're definitely better in an underdog role. No one will be giving us a chance, especially on defense, over the next month which only helps. I would feel even better if Tagovailoa won the heisman so we wouldn't have that curse following us into the game...though no doubt I hope Kyler wins it.

okatty
12-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Straw Poll on the Athletic has Kyler overtaking Tua for Heisman.

Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray is the winner of The Athletic’s Heisman Straw Poll, ending Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa’s season-long reign atop the poll by a point margin of 96-71. Murray garnered 28 of 34 possible first-place votes, with Tagovailoa earning five first-place votes and Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins getting one.

Stew
12-03-2018, 10:44 AM
I think Alabama is about due another humiliating loss to an underdog. Either way though OU going to the final four in 3 of the last 4 season is pretty impressive. There is just no way to spin that ugly.

Laramie
12-03-2018, 11:07 AM
No matter the outcome of the OU-Bama game; it helps the Sooners with recruits when you make trips to the Final Four. Everybody can't play for Alabama & Clemson; so that helps Oklahoma who owns the Big 12. Texas A & M, Missouri, Nebraska & Colorado left the Big 12 for the SEC, Big 10 & Pac 12 conferences; let us not kid ourselves--any of those teams make the Final Four yet.

We don't need to get in a 'black & blue' conference where teams beat up one another in a year long battle that's sure to take its toll come conference and final four appearances.

Continue to recruit Texas, California, Florida & Pennsylvania where the biscuits, gravy & collard green recruits resign.

Laramie
12-03-2018, 11:43 AM
University of Oklahoma offers athletes & football recruits an opportunity of a lifetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2w-pLKIMc

University of Oklahoma is a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, economic and health-care needs of the state, region and nation. The Norman campus serves as home to all of the university’s academic programs except health-related fields. The OU Health Sciences Center, which is located in Oklahoma City, is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. Both the Norman and Health Sciences Center campuses offer programs at the Schusterman Center, the site of OU-Tulsa. OU enrolls almost 32,000 students, has more than 2,800 full-time faculty members, and has 21 colleges offering 172 majors at the baccalaureate level, 156 majors at the master’s level, 81 doctoral-level majors and 54 graduate certificates. The university’s annual operating budget is $2.05 billion.

soonermike81
12-04-2018, 07:53 AM
We're definitely better in an underdog role. No one will be giving us a chance, especially on defense, over the next month which only helps. I would feel even better if Tagovailoa won the heisman so we wouldn't have that curse following us into the game...though no doubt I hope Kyler wins it.

Yup, so far seems all the pundits think we're going to get destroyed. "Will be a route, Bama won't punt once, Bama is going to put up 1,000 yards." Some of the things I've been hearing from media and average joe. Let's keep up that talk for sure. I think Kyler deserves it for sure, especially after Tua's performance in SEC game. But they're saying 10% of voters already submitted before the game, so who knows what's going to happen. I can see some of Kyler's votes going to Haskins now after the way he finished the season. Would love the curse to fall on Tua! It's way early but so far, most of the money is on Bama giving the points. Probably a lot of homerism, but I feel better about the game day by day.

Richard at Remax
12-04-2018, 08:16 AM
OU +450 on the M/L is a good value bet to me. +14 is attractive too but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on either side of the spread.

soonermike81
12-04-2018, 08:31 AM
OU +450 on the M/L is a good value bet to me. +14 is attractive too but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on either side of the spread.

+450 is great value imo too. But damn, is that the homer in me talking? Gotta separate brain and heart when it comes to gambling.

gopokes88
12-04-2018, 09:03 AM
+450 is great value imo too. But damn, is that the homer in me talking? Gotta separate brain and heart when it comes to gambling.

I put $100 on ou to win it all so it’s not the homer in you

mugofbeer
12-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Why waste the time and energy even stumbling over to your sofa and watching at all? I mean, if OU isn't prepared to play and is just going to lose anyway your time would just be better spent watching old episodes of SpongeBob.

okatty
12-04-2018, 02:01 PM
With the Urban Meyer departure it will be interesting to see if Alex Grinch stays as co-def coordinator. He's been rumored to be on the short list for the OU def coordinator job (before the Meyer announcement) along with the Bama guy. The CFB coaching carousel (and the dominoes that tend to fall when a move is made) is always interesting to watch.

dcsooner
12-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Why waste the time and energy even stumbling over to your sofa and watching at all? I mean, if OU isn't prepared to play and is just going to lose anyway your time would just be better spent watching old episodes of SpongeBob.

Criticize when you've spent your time and treasure traveling far and wide (for many years) to support the Sooners. I've earned the right to love my team but be disappointed in some of their performances.

PhiAlpha
12-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Criticize when you've spent your time and treasure traveling far and wide (for many years) to support the Sooners. I've earned the right to love my team but be disappointed in some of their performances.

I’ve been to every national championship and playoff game we’ve lost since 2003. I’ve definitely and painfully earned it haha.

mugofbeer
12-04-2018, 10:48 PM

I've been to several bowl games including the Natl Champ game vs. SC like 15 years ago. Sure it's disappointing to lose, but we haven't lost nearly all of them. Go for the game but have fun, enjoy the scenery, meet people, eat some good food and live life! Tis far better to play a team over your head than be far better than your opponent and have nothing to gain.

sgt. pepper
12-20-2018, 09:35 AM
I don't follow this close, but how did OU do on signing day? With OU seemingly always in the championship playoffs, winning the conference title what , 4 years in a row.....having back to back Heisman winners, you think they would be in the top 5 if not top 2, but have not heard anything of it?

Lazio85
12-20-2018, 12:08 PM
I don't follow this close, but how did OU do on signing day? With OU seemingly always in the championship playoffs, winning the conference title what , 4 years in a row.....having back to back Heisman winners, you think they would be in the top 5 if not top 2, but have not heard anything of it?

As of today and the early signing period finishing up according to 247sports.com:

Alabama = 312.24
Georgia = 297.87
Texas A&M = 283.98
LSU = 282.02
Oregon = 274.57
Oklahoma = 273.67
Clemson = 273.57
Michigan = 273.29
Texas = 268.18
Penn State = 262.27

chuck5815
12-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Well, boys, it was a nice season in the Farmer Tad Conference, but we’ve apparently run into a Clutch, Southern juggernaut tonight.

dcsooner
12-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Big 12 is a weak conference. Will never prepare a team for a championship playoff, also, OU's gadget offense and non existent D continues to expose them as a fraud relative to the elite teams. Same for MICH, ND, TX. There are only 4-5 elite teams in CFB now. Clemson, Ala, Oh St, GA

PhiAlpha
12-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Big 12 is a weak conference. Will never prepare a team for a championship playoff, also, OU's gadget offense and non existent D continues to expose them as a fraud relative to the elite teams. Same for MICH, ND, TX. There are only 4-5 elite teams in CFB now. Clemson, Ala, Oh St, GA

Conferences have nothing to do with it. Alabama and Clemson have both just flat out been better than everyone else over the last few years.

Dustin
12-29-2018, 10:09 PM
We didn't give up minus the 1st Q.

Time to go recruiting!

PhiAlpha
12-29-2018, 10:33 PM
We didn't give up minus the 1st Q.

Time to go recruiting!

Without the 1st quarter, we won by double digits!!! Haha

mugofbeer
12-29-2018, 11:28 PM

LOL, l guess thats why we beat Ohio State by 15 in their house last year. Give OU a medium level defense this year and we would have beaten Alabama by 10 tonight. Their recruiting ensures the offense stays powerful in the next couple of years. Hopefully, they figure out how to get better defensively. At dead last, they couldn't get worse.

dcsooner
12-30-2018, 04:55 AM
You gotta love the spin people take on this board when faced with facts. OU got manhandled plain and simple. Ala could have scored 70.

Winners and Losers of the College Football Playoff Semifinals
BRAD SHEPARD
DECEMBER 30, 2018

Loser: College Football Parity
8 OF 9

Wilfredo Lee/Associated Press
Blame Alabama. Blame Clemson. Blame every other team for not being up to the level of those two.

It's Ali-Frazier. It's Yankees-Red Sox. It's Celtics-Lakers.

As college football gears up for Bama-Clemson IV in Santa Clara, California, on January 7, it's fair to wonder if the lack of parity in college football is going to hurt the sport.

How much more of this can the fans take before they stop caring?

Back in 2008, the Crimson Tide beat Clemson 34-10 in the season opener to really start the Nick Saban era of dominance, announcing their arrival onto the scene, and they've never left. Once Dabo Swinney got entrenched with the Tigers and got his team rolling downhill, they've been right there, too.

In 2016, Alabama beat the Tigers 45-40 to win the national championship. Clemson returned the favor in 2017 with a 35-31 win to get its own title. Then last year, the two teams met in the semifinals, and Bama dominated in a 24-6 win.

They'll meet again this year. Ho-hum.

Will the game get high ratings, or are fans becoming numb?

You've heard the buzz about "Alabama is killing college football," and a familiar refrain surrounds Clemson, too. But while other programs such as Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma can throw the occasional punch, the finalists own college football right now.

They're recruiting at a high level, many of their stars are underclassmen, and they have two magnificent coaches who are at the top of their game. So, it's not changing any time soon.

Is it good for college football to have two megapowers? Will other teams rise to the occasion, or is this a monopoly that will damage the game?

Say what you want, but what are they supposed to do? Just quit? It's remarkable to see what Alabama and Clemson are accomplishing right now. But everybody else needs to step up their games. Right now, everybody seems to be playing for third.

okatty
12-30-2018, 07:28 AM
I can’t believe you guys are missing the key point here.....OU covered the 14:)

OKCRT
12-30-2018, 09:58 AM
When the game mattered Bama beat OU like a red headed step child. That is a fact. It was total domination. Bama took their foot off the gas and the final score looks closer than it really was. OU never had a chance.

Richard at Remax
12-30-2018, 10:55 AM
I can't believe they didn't take the ball first. OU coaches had to know Bama was going to score on their woeful defense. Why not take the ball first and try to punch them in the face? Not saying they would have scored but if they had it might have been an more interesting game. Hard to win when you spot the best team in football 28 points.

Pete
12-30-2018, 11:48 AM
^

Yes, I was very surprised OU didn't take the ball after winning the toss.

I know Lincoln likes to have it to start the 2nd half, but he had to know they would go right down the field and score, which is exactly what they did.

It wouldn't have mattered, but it was a strange decision.

BG918
12-30-2018, 12:00 PM
^

Yes, I was very surprised OU didn't take the ball after winning the toss.

I know Lincoln likes to have it to start the 2nd half, but he had to know they would go right down the field and score, which is exactly what they did.

It wouldn't have mattered, but it was a strange decision.

OU should’ve had the ball at the 1 after the fumble. That was some BS that overturned that call. And the second Bama touchdown should have been called back. Hard to win when the refs make such blatant bad calls.

Laramie
12-30-2018, 12:56 PM
I can't believe they didn't take the ball first. OU coaches had to know Bama was going to score on their woeful defense. Why not take the ball first and try to punch them in the face? Not saying they would have scored but if they had it might have been an more interesting game. Hard to win when you spot the best team in football 28 points.

That was the biggest surprise. OU could have come out and landed the 1st punch to begin the steeplechase; instead the defense got pounded early which put more pressure on the offense.

dcsooner
12-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Alabama and Clemson Domination Creates Ugly Day for CFB Playoff Committee
MATT HAYES
DECEMBER 30, 2018

Alabama head coach Nick Saban, left, and Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney talk before the Sugar Bowl semi-final playoff game for the NCAA college football national championship, in New Orleans, Monday, Jan. 1, 2018. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
Gerald Herbert/Associated Press
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — You want to blame someone for this mess? Blame those who mucked it up in the first place.

You want to complain about a truly awful day of college football? Take a long, hard look at a College Football Playoff committee that was supposed to make the postseason a unique spectacle and instead turned it into an unsightly scene.

Clemson beat Notre Dame by 27, and Alabama beat Oklahoma by who cares.

And the CFP committee got dragged in shame through the streets of public opinion.

"We don't look at who we're playing; it's not about them, it's about us," Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams said, in his best Nick Saban imitation.

But it is all about who plays in the CFP, now more than ever.

Because this is what happens when a committee full of coaches and athletic directors embrace age-old values instead of actually, you know, watching games:

Notre Dame didn't score a touchdown and couldn't even hit 250 total yards in a 30-3 loss.
Oklahoma and its point-a-minute offense went down 28-0 early in the second quarter, and Alabama played keep-away the remainder of the game in a 45-34 victory.
The result is an unmitigated disaster of a day.

The worst part of it all is it didn't have to be this way. We didn't have to be force-fed Spam when there was filet mignon waiting to be devoured.

Michael Ainsworth/Associated Press
Take any Joe Sixpack in early December and tell him his life depends on choosing the four best teams in college football. Not deserving, not conference champions, not even the unbeaten.

The four best teams.

Those four, in order, would've been Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State.

But who wants to watch Clemson and Georgia play? They're only bitter rivals, and Georgia only had mighty Alabama on the brink of defeat twice—twice!—in the last 11 months and couldn't finish the deal.

And really, who in their right mind wants to watch Alabama play Ohio State and the hottest quarterback in the game in Dwayne Haskins? The same Ohio State that, four years ago in the CFP semifinals, beat favored Alabama on the way to winning it all.

Instead we get a committee of 13, a group with the undeniable mandate to protect Power Five teams—plus Notre Dame—at all costs (see: fox, meet henhouse), delivering two dud matchups.

When asked Saturday night after Alabama advanced to yet another CFP national title game (its fourth in five CFP years), SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said, "Georgia was a very [playoff] worthy team."

When asked to elaborate, Sankey said, "The committee does a fine job. I don't want to get into publicly calling out anyone."

So I will. The committee blew it.

Wilfredo Lee/Associated Press
Not just by ignoring the reality that Georgia was one of the four best teams in the nation, but by passing on Ohio State, too. Frankly, UCF would've put up a better fight than Notre Dame.

This nonsense has to stop, and it's not about adding more teams to the mix (what, you want more blowouts?) or guaranteeing spots to conference champions or giving an automatic bid to the best Group of Five team. It's about choosing the four best teams.

How does it happen, you ask? The committee makeup has to change.

We can no longer allow those who have the greatest vested interest in who makes the playoff to decide who makes the playoff. At least with the dreaded BCS, there was equal weight given to a coaches poll, a media poll and six computer polls—even if none of us could figure out the damn thing.

How do we do that? Eliminate former coaches and current administrators from the committee and fill it with former NFL scouts and personnel folks and allow them to objectively decide the best four teams.

A committee of NFL scouts and personnel people and former NFL and college players would never care if the SEC has two teams in the playoff again, and it wouldn't give a flip about an unbeaten team if its resume didn't back up the record.

We wound up with these four teams, and these two clunker national semifinals, because the committee was absolutely, positively not giving the SEC two teams again. And it wasn't overlooking unbeaten Notre Dame because, well, the Fighting Irish were unbeaten—and in college football, being unbeaten is and always has been a big deal.

ARLINGTON, TEXAS - DECEMBER 29: K'Von Wallace #12 of the Clemson Tigers tackles Ian Book #12 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the first half during the College Football Playoff Semifinal Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic at AT&T Stadium on December 29, 2018
Tim Warner/Getty Images
Unless you're UCF.

"I don't know how they pick who gets in, and I really don't care," said Alabama tailback Damien Harris. "All we know is we have to win. If you don't win, you leave it up to someone else."

The same someone else that isn't about the four best teams, but the four teams that come as close as possible to making everyone happy. The committee dynamic has gotten so ridiculous that a few conference commissioners recently told Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic that they were interested in talking about expanding the playoff for better access for more Power Five schools and one team "like UCF" that currently gets shut out from the process.

That's right: The very men and women, the commissioners and university presidents, who have done everything they can to keep UCF and the Group of Five out of their playoff are now using UCF as a rallying point.

Meanwhile, their committee blew the most important decision of the season and left what should've been the best day on the college football calendar grasping for relevancy with meaningless regular-season NBA games.

Look, I don't care about Ohio State's 29-point loss to Purdue or Georgia's 20-point loss to LSU. I care about the best teams translating to the best semifinals, no matter how we get there.

MIAMI, FL - DECEMBER 29: Trey Sermon #4 of the Oklahoma Sooners is tackled by Xavier McKinney #15 and Anfernee Jennings #33 of the Alabama Crimson Tide during the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl at Hard Rock Stadium on D
Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Rewarding a two-loss team doesn't mean losses have no impact. Losses have impact for teams that aren't worthy.

This isn't rocket science. Watch the games and make an informed decision, not one that protects your product and reinforces the tired ways of the past.

If the committee makeup changes, you've got a pretty strong chance of not ending up with games where one team loses by 27 and another team spends the entire game trying to convert fourth downs to not get blown out, then talks about not giving up.

"That's what our team is built around—fighting to the end," said OU wideout Marquise Brown.

So we've got that going for us.

The sport deserves better than this, and the simple fix isn't as drastic as adding more teams or implementing more metrics.

It's just the best four teams, no matter the record, no matter the conference.

And it's needed now more than ever.

Jake
12-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Ohio State is retroactively one of the best four teams now, eh?

mugofbeer
12-30-2018, 05:53 PM
According to the historically negative dcSooner......

dcsooner
12-30-2018, 06:47 PM
According to the historically negative dcSooner......

Actually the article was written by someone named Matt Hayes, BUT, I do agree with him, maybe you don't, OK by me. Lol

chuck5815
12-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Actually the article was written by someone named Matt Hayes, BUT, I do agree with him, maybe you don't, OK by me. Lol

I’m pretty sure the Big Ten has been complete garbage throughout bowl season.

Michigan was terrible—as was Purdue. And there’s a very good chance that tOSU will lose by double digits to a non-clutch, PAC 12 team.

mugofbeer
12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
OU lost by 11. OU scored more than any other team against the nations 5th ranked defense - and did so in 3 quarters. You knew the defense was going to give up a lot but with 4 quartets of Tuo, but they gave up less than 9 other teams - where Tuo usually only played 1/2 the game. Yes, the 1st quarter was a catastrophe but OU fought back and you can't tell me Alabama was sluffing off that 2nd half. There were a couple of points in the 2nd half their defense seemed a bit rattled. lt would have been interesting to have played another quarter.

Notre Dame on the other hand, is the team that got crushed. 30 -3. Dominated on both sides of the ball.

PhiAlpha
12-31-2018, 12:54 PM

So if the Big 12 is what’s really holding OU back, what’s your reasoning for how Clemson continues to perform well in the playoff and win championships despite being in the ACC which is comparable if not weaker than the Big 12?

Laramie
12-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Many were in favor of a CF playoff expansion to 8 teams because of the challenges among the top 10 ranked. IMO, keep it at 4; because it really doesn't matter.

The 4 top teams selected were there on their 2018 performances. Alabama & Clemson deserve to be in the championship game.

dcsooner
12-31-2018, 01:53 PM
So if the Big 12 is what’s really holding OU back, what’s your reasoning for how Clemson continues to perform well in the playoff and win championships despite being in the ACC which is comparable if not weaker than the Big 12?

Don't think the ACC historically is weaker than the B12

Syracuse 1 NC 1959
Florida State 3 NC
Georgia Tech 1 NC 1990
Miami 5 NC
Virginia Tech
NC
NC State

are historically better competition than Ok State, Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor and KSU All zero NC

Jake
12-31-2018, 01:59 PM
In past decade, Oklahoma State has been substantially better than every single team on that list minus Florida State. Not even close.

I think you could argue that TCU has been as well. Texas being down in recent years has hurt the Big 12, looks like that won't be the case anymore.

jedicurt
12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
In past decade, Oklahoma State has been substantially better than every single team on that list minus Florida State. Not even close.

I think you could argue that TCU has been as well. Texas being down in recent years has hurt the Big 12, looks like that won't be the case anymore.

agreed... and K-State hasn't been terrible expect the past few years. and Baylor has several really good years.

PhiAlpha
12-31-2018, 02:18 PM

Syracuse 1 NC 1959
Florida State 3 NC
Georgia Tech 1 NC 1990
Miami 5 NC
Virginia Tech
NC
NC State

are historically better competition than Ok State, Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor and KSU All zero NC

Who is saying anything about history and why is that even relevant to whether the big 12 conference is holding us back or which conference is better now? Over the last 5 years, the big 12 and ACC have been pretty even with the Big 12 probably having the slight edge from top to bottom. Historically, the Big 12 included Nebraska, TA&M, Colorado, and Mizzou and Virginia Tech and Miami were both in the big east, so I don’t understand how a historical comparison of the conferences is even relevant to the discussion.

Nick
12-31-2018, 02:35 PM

Syracuse 1 NC 1959
Florida State 3 NC
Georgia Tech 1 NC 1990
Miami 5 NC
Virginia Tech
NC
NC State

You’d be wrong. Historically, there was also Nebraska (5 titles) and Colorado (1 title), plus Texas (4 titles) and the seven from OU. Syracuse was in the big east.

dcsooner
12-31-2018, 02:39 PM
You’d be wrong. Historically, there was also Nebraska (5 titles) and Colorado (1 title), plus Texas (4 titles) and the seven from OU. Syracuse was in the big east.

Guys enough already, I have my opinion you have yours. My evidence is in the results. OU has competed 3 x in the playoffs, two of which
I attended, they IMO have been outplayed, by superior talent, by teams playing stiffer competition in league play. That's it \, geez

SoonerDave
01-01-2019, 09:23 PM
OU lost by 11. OU scored more than any other team against the nations 5th ranked defense - and did so in 3 quarters. You knew the defense was going to give up a lot but with 4 quartets of Tuo, but they gave up less than 9 other teams - where Tuo usually only played 1/2 the game. Yes, the 1st quarter was a catastrophe but OU fought back and you can't tell me Alabama was sluffing off that 2nd half. There were a couple of points in the 2nd half their defense seemed a bit rattled. lt would have been interesting to have played another quarter.

Notre Dame on the other hand, is the team that got crushed. 30 -3. Dominated on both sides of the ball.

Would dearly loved to have seen that game had OU shown up in the first quarter. Think the moment just got to them for a bit, sadly enough.

mugofbeer
01-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Guys enough already, I have my opinion you have yours. My evidence is in the results. OU has competed 3 x in the playoffs, two of which
I attended, they IMO have been outplayed, by superior talent, by teams playing stiffer competition in league play. That's it \, geez

Yes, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But when you give your opinion and use the derisive and defeatist language you used, expect backlash and opposing viewpoints that are equally or more passionate.

Is Alabama a better team? Yeah, this year, overall, they probably were because they have both an excellent offense and a good defense, however, if a couple of things had gone a different way, such as if OU had chosen the ball first or if the fumble call had gone the other way, things could have gone very differently considering how our offense was moving through them in 3 of 4 quarters.

On to next year with hopes of at least a fair defensive squad.

PS - did anyone notice how Army absolutely destroyed Houston and ended up 11 - 2? Ous game against them was no fluke.