View Full Version : The difference between Professional and Minor League

metro
10-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I know I'm tired of hearing the debate in every thread about everything as well as a ton of you so I am making an official thread for the differences between PRO and MINOR LEAGUE. Please keep all talk about this in this thread only !!

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
You know you are in the minor leagues when you travel on a bus and have to get a part time job to put food on the table.

Also, if a guy plays for the Yard Dawgz at night and is a teacher during the day, what do you think he puts down as his occupation for a bank loan? I bet he doesn't put professional athelete.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
You know you are in the minor leagues when you travel on a bus and have to get a part time job to put food on the table.

Also, if a guy plays for the Yard Dawgz at night and is a teacher during the day, what do you think he puts down as his occupation for a bank loan? I bet he doesn't put professional athelete.

It depends on if he wants to go the the majors.

scotplum
10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
This is the worst argument in the history of message boards.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
This is the worst argument in the history of message boards.

Then all anyone who thinks this is the worst argument has to do is admit anyone who is paid to do a job is a professional. Regardless of the level.

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Then all anyone who thinks this is the worst argument has to do is admit anyone who is paid to do a job is a professional. Regardless of the level.

Do you really think that because someone gets paid to do a job then they are considered a "professional"? So, if you go to McDonald's and get food poisoning from eating a chicken sandwich because the sixteen year old cook who started last week didn't know to wash his hands after touching chicken. Is he considered a professional chef? Being a professional is based on skill, experience, talent, etc., not a paycheck.

scotplum
10-20-2005, 03:28 PM

If you are referring to me, look at any of the threads that this is brought up to see that I've done just that.

This is akin to grammatical corrections on a forum Mr. Anderson. It is beyond ridiculous. Do you know what is being referenced when that word is used? Can you answer that question for me?

mranderson
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Do you really think that because someone gets paid to do a job then they are considered a "professional"? So, if you go to McDonald's and get food poisoning from eating a chicken sandwich because the sixteen year old cook who started last week didn't know to wash his hands after touching chicken. Is he considered a professional chef? Being a professional is based on skill, experience, talent, etc., not a paycheck.

Chef? No. Cook? Yes. he (or she) gets paid to do the job. Therefore, although it may not be the career they will choose, they, at that time, are a professional. Skill, experience and talent has nothing to do with it. Trust me. I am really not the greatest salesperson, however, I am a professional salesperson because that is how I earn my living.

BDP
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Then all anyone who thinks this is the worst argument has to do is admit anyone who is paid to do a job is a professional.

Why don't you just admit that the above definition is much broader than is usually applied. Yes, you are technically correct, but hardly anyone talks that way. Average Joe is not interested in bush league sports and when asks about pro teams, they mean major league teams. Also, no one talks of NCAA division 1 athletes as professionals, but they, too, fit the definitions you have provided. Do you really list the Oklahoma State University Wrestling team when people ask about professional sports in Oklahoma?

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Chef? No. Cook? Yes. he (or she) gets paid to do the job. Therefore, although it may not be the career they will choose, they, at that time, are a professional. Skill, experience and talent has nothing to do with it. Trust me. I am really not the greatest salesperson, however, I am a professional salesperson because that is how I earn my living.

I disagree. It just means you have a J-O-B. If you look in the paper for a job like this, it will be under general employment.

BDP
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I am a professional salesperson because that is how I earn my living.

You mean because you get paid.

metro
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
So if you win the lottery and you get "paid" are you a professional customer??? a haha i kill myself

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
So if you win the lottery and you get "paid" are you a professional customer??? a haha i kill myself

I think that would make you a professional gambler.
:spin:

Karried
10-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Depends on your definition of 'gambler' :Smiley122

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
If you are referring to me, look at any of the threads that this is brought up to see that I've done just that.

This is akin to grammatical corrections on a forum Mr. Anderson. It is beyond ridiculous. Do you know what is being referenced when that word is used? Can you answer that question for me?

I have seen your acknowledgement in several posts. I'm not sure why you are continuing to be questioned.

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer to your question.

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Depends on your definition of 'gambler' :Smiley122

That's an easy one Karried...

Gambler = the one, the only Kenny Rogers!!!

Wow...I was able to clear that up in one post.

:tiphat:

Karried
10-20-2005, 10:03 PM
tee hee Intrepid .. you've been having a lot of fun lately -:lol2:

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 10:07 PM
tee hee Intrepid .. you've been having a lot of fun lately -:lol2:

Well you know the saying, a laugh a day keeps the frown lines away. (i'm sure that's not the real saying, but it works)

:LolLolLol

BDP
10-23-2005, 06:17 PM
From today's Oklahoman on local NBA fans:

"We knew that we didn't have pro sports here in Oklahoma," said NBA fan Barbara Main, who moved to Oklahoma City from Michigan in 1991.

http://newsok.com/article/1650937/?template=sports/main

mranderson
10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
If you think that quote is going to sell me on your incorrect idea of professional, then I guess you do not know me. Many people misuse that word.

Intrepid
10-23-2005, 08:28 PM
If you think that quote is going to sell me on your incorrect idea of professional, then I guess you do not know me. Many people misuse that word.

However, there is no need to continue to correct a person, when they have made it clear on how they are using the word.

And I still have not seen an answer to scotplum's question to you.....did you understand the context of his use of the word pro?

mranderson
10-23-2005, 09:03 PM
However, there is no need to continue to correct a person, when they have made it clear on how they are using the word.

And I still have not seen an answer to scotplum's question to you.....did you understand the context of his use of the word pro?

Context is irrelevant. The word does NOT mean MINOR LEAGUE. Minor league players get PAID to PLAY, therefore, they are PROFESSIONAL, hense, "PRO." Therefore, Oklahoma City HAS had "PRO" sports long before any of us were born.

Intrepid
10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Context is irrelevant. The word does NOT mean MINOR LEAGUE. Minor league players get PAID to PLAY, therefore, they are PROFESSIONAL, hense, "PRO." Therefore, Oklahoma City HAS had "PRO" sports long before any of us were born.

Context means everything! It was very clear what he meant by his comments, just as it is very clear what every news station in town is saying when their own reporters use the term "pro" when referring to major league. Perhaps you should send them all an email explaining the official definition.

Again, you still have not answered scotplum's question: did you, or did you not, understand what he was referring to when he used the word "pro" in the context he used it?

swake
10-24-2005, 09:18 AM
I am a huge basketball fan, having gone to Kansas.

I have been to some minor league pro basketball games and they are ok, the skill level is good, at least as good as college, and the effort is there, but the coaching is poor, the fan participation non-existent, and there is no real team play, it’s like watching an All Star game.

I have also been to NBA games, and for the most part, can’t stand it. NBA players act bored to be out there most of the game. There is no drive, not even to the level that there is in Major League Baseball, and that can be bad. The skill level is amazing, but the effort is bad and the crowds and the players spend most games bored. Really, there are just way to many games, if the NBA would cut the season to 25 to 30 games and make them all count, then this might change, but as it is now, I don’t like the NBA until playoff time. College basketball, even with a lower skill level, is a much better game to watch, and the fans are crazier in college basketball than they are in any other sport. I likely won’t go to a NBA game in OKC.

I have been to an OU game and won’t go again except to see KU, the fans at OU suck, the arena is not much better than half full, it’s so dark in there, the place looks like a set from CSI. And the fans are ignorant of the game and either obnoxious or asleep. I have never been to an OSU game, on TV it looks to be a good crowd. TU is a good place to see a basketball game, at least until they tanked last year, hopefully the new coach will get them back to high level of play. I won’t see the Hornets unless there is a player or team I really want to see towards the end of the season.

This isn’t a knock on OKC, but the NBA is the major pro league I like the least. Minor league basketball can really be almost as good as NBA to watch in person, and at about a fourth of the price. College basketball is as expensive, or at KU, much more expensive than the NBA, but it’s a hell of a lot more fun.

Decious
10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
I've been to a numerous amount of NBA games in LA and Dallas and really have enjoyed it every single time. The fans in both Dallas and LA really get into the games and go krazy! I've also been able to see Philly play the Knicks and the Hawks and the atmosphere in those games was great too.

Swake, I'm curious to know what cities you visited where the crowds and players were bored and in dreamland. Sounds awful dude. I also agree that the season should be truncated. It is waaaaaaaaaaay 2 long right now.

I would say that I enjoy the NFL experience the most, followed by the NBA then D-1 Basketball. I've never been to a college game in Lawrence but I bet it's awesome. I've been to Cameron indoor and KU's games look just as intense and enjoyable.

:woowoo:When I'm in OKC I'm going to as many games as I can....save anything involving Utah, Atlanta, the Clippers, Portland, Charlotte, Utah, or Utah.

Intrepid
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
...save anything involving Utah, Atlanta, the Clippers, Portland, Charlotte, Utah, or Utah.

So what you're saying is that you don't want to see Utah play? You might want to make that a bit more clearer next time.

Decious
10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
So what you're saying is that you don't want to see Utah play? You might want to make that a bit more clearer next time.

Absolutely correct homie! I don't want to see the Jazz either. I'd be in a coma if I had to watch them play the Hornets.:bedtime:

scotplum
10-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I have been to an OU game and won’t go again except to see KU, the fans at OU suck, the arena is not much better than half full, it’s so dark in there, the place looks like a set from CSI. And the fans are ignorant of the game and either obnoxious or asleep.

Good grief, why don't you just come out and bash some people?

:fighting2

Karried
10-24-2005, 10:41 AM
The skill level is amazing, but the effort is bad and the crowds and the players spend most games bored.

After reading all the glowing & positive accounts of the very first pre-season game, it seems as if the fans and players got into and absolutely had a blast. Everyone was excited and the team was amazed and thankful of the support OKC gave the Hornets.

But I can't really say until I've personally been there so I'll let you know next week if we are all bored after I go to a few games -

BDP
10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
If you think that quote is going to sell me on your incorrect idea of professional, then I guess you do not know me.

I wasn't trying to sell you on anythin and that's not my idea of professional. That was that lady's idea of professional. I am perfectly capable of understanding what other people mean, even if it may not gel with my own use of speech. I just thought it was funny in context of your mission and this thread, so I posted it. I'm pretty sure I know you fairly well. It is already well established that your mind is closed to outside input, so I held no illusion that it would have any influence on you, but I knew your response would be funny and it was. :)

BDP
10-24-2005, 11:40 AM
...having gone to Kansas.

Well, that explains a lot. ;)

Just kidding.

Unforatuntely, it seems you may have started a meaningful and worthy discussion on a thread that is supposed to be reserved for “the worst argument in the history of message boards.” Don’t get us off track with real substance. ;)

scotplum
10-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, that explains a lot. ;)
“the worst argument in the history of message boards.” Don’t get us off track with real substance. ;)

Wooohooo!! Yes, please refrain from posting anything that could possibly develop into something worthwhile.

upisgr8
10-24-2005, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=swake]I am a huge basketball fan, having gone to Kansas.
I have been to an OU game and won’t go again except to see KU, the fans at OU suck, the arena is not much better than half full, it’s so dark in there, the place looks like a set from CSI. And the fans are ignorant of the game and either obnoxious or asleep.

I don't think anyone from the "flaw on the Kaw" should present themselves an authority on anything uh....except fans that suck.

swake
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
The flaw on the kaw? That's a new one......or maybe I'm getting old.

Anyway, I've been to games in Baltimore/Washington, Oakland (Golden State), Denver and Dallas. Oakland was by far the best, Denver by far the worst.