View Full Version : Man requests longer prison term...

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Only in Oklahoma City...

Man requests longer prison term to honor Larry Bird
Posted: Thursday October 20, 2005 12:10PM; Updated: Thursday October 20, 2005 1:16PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."

mranderson
10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Only in Oklahoma City...

Man requests longer prison term to honor Larry Bird
Posted: Thursday October 20, 2005 12:10PM; Updated: Thursday October 20, 2005 1:16PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."

What a mashugina. I'm glad Judge Elliot gave him what he wanted.

Faith
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
How stupid! The judge should have given him a life sentence for just being that way.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 03:35 PM
How stupid! The judge should have given him a life sentence for just being that way.

Unfortunatly, stupidity is not a crime. If it was, 99% of the population of this country would be doing life in the joint. He got what he deserved.

metro
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I already have a post for this in the news thread. Mods should we merge the two?