View Full Version : Kfc

Pete
08-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Looks like KFC is finally going to remodel and reopen the location at 6000 N. May.

Urbanized
08-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop eating fried chicken!

Uptowner
08-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Well that’s a bummer. I was hoping they’d sell it as a remodel and some enterprising folks would come open a hole in the wall with great food. Like pho cuong in an old captain D’s, chows in a, does anyone remember what that funky A-ish frame was originally? And countless others in old wendy’s and DQ buildings.

shawnw
08-06-2018, 12:44 PM
With CFA and now Cane's in the area, I think they HAD to do this. It's only a matter of time before Golden Chick and another chain or two join the fray...

Uptowner
08-06-2018, 01:00 PM
I honestly didn’t think it was going to come back. They shuttered about the same time the chic fil a started construction which was some time ago. Nw 63rd n May is going to be fried chicken on a Moore Oklahoman scale.

Roger S
08-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Nw 63rd n May is going to be fried chicken on a Moore Oklahoman scale.

Only two we are missing is Popeyes (which we had for a couple of years) and Golden Chick. And I had heard rumor at one time that Golden Chick was going to build on the lot at 12th and Broadway but that rumors a couple of years old now.

shawnw
08-06-2018, 01:14 PM
For the record, there's a Popeye's at 50th/May, not sure if that's close enough to count but seems like it.

(I know you were talking about Moore, but I missed that one in my earlier comment)

Roger S
08-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Would probably count as much for that area as if we counted the one at I-240 and Sooner as being part of Moore.

shawnw
08-06-2018, 01:27 PM
I mean...

Popeye's - 50th
KFC - 59th
CFA - 61st
Canes - 63rd

Thomas Vu
08-07-2018, 07:29 AM
NW Expressway has all of the above and a church's.

Uptowner
08-07-2018, 08:23 AM
NW Expressway has all of the above and a church's.

And a slim chickens! And a zaxby’s! And a bee dubs!

Seriously, I face palm every time I see a slim chickens...WTF is slim about deep fried chicken fingers, french fries, and pink sauce made from mixing ketchup, pickle juice, and mayonnaise together. And why is the logo a chicken dressed up like a 1920’s gangster?!

Pete
08-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Seriously, I face palm every time I see a slim chickens...WTF is slim about deep fried chicken fingers, french fries, and pink sauce made from mixing ketchup, pickle juice, and mayonnaise together. And why is the logo a chicken dressed up like a 1920’s gangster?!

Haha... I know, so random.

I really hate to think about the industrialized chicken farming behind all these operations. I continue to edge closer and closer to going vegetarian if not full vegan.

Martin
08-07-2018, 09:00 AM
what in the wide world of sports is going on in this thread? guess folks today don't recognize a good slim pickens reference when they see one. : )
http://ravenhillgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/image001.jpg

Uptowner
08-07-2018, 09:05 AM
^ I just can’t do it. I’m too much of an okie boy to get around the feeling that “it’s not a meal without meat.” I successfully went pescitarian for about 2 months. But now I can’t even look at tailapia. Commercial fishing is just as bad if not worse.

I find myself spending ever increasing amounts of money on groceries and restaurants that offer ethically sourced animal protein.

My wife has this, palms clamped over her ears humming “lalalalalala” conviction that meat is just meat and it doesn’t come from a living being. Also that her own body is just skin and the concept that she’s made up of a complex system of veins, muscles, and organs makes her hyperventilate. To which I reply “ain’t choo never cleaned a fish??” But she’ll still eat a dozen oysters.

Uptowner
08-07-2018, 09:07 AM
what in the wide world of sports is going on in this thread? guess folks today don't recognize a good slim pickens reference when they see one. : )
http://ravenhillgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/image001.jpg

http://http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzvdpx1WY31qcay1ao1_500.gif (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzvdpx1WY31qcay1ao1_500.gif)

I know right!?

Uptowner
08-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Man, I tried and failed to post a gif. What kind of Rooskie forum site are you running here Pete? It’s time for plan R.

TheTravellers
08-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Oh yay, another damn chicken place.... Why, oh why, couldn't it have been a coffee shop? No coffee shops on May between who knows how far south (from at least Reno) all the way up to N. Grand (correct me if I'm wrong, though, I'd be happy to be wrong this time), where there's a *$. *$ on 36th/May doesn't count, it's just a drive-through, just like Leaf & Bean on 36th/May, and B&N isn't really a coffee shop, but they have a cafe, so they kind of half count, I guess.

shawnw
08-07-2018, 06:11 PM
well..... there was going to be one at 63/May before stella got cold feet...

Mel
08-07-2018, 06:42 PM
This thread has cracked me up. Nice to see some humor.

TheSteveHunt
08-08-2018, 08:38 AM
If you haven't been, you should really go to Handi-Sack on ne 27th n kelly and get their fried chicken.

Roger S
08-08-2018, 08:44 AM
If you haven't been, you should really go to Handi-Sack on ne 27th n kelly and get their fried chicken.

Fried chicken there is good but the pork chops are the best in Oklahoma.... Don't go there and not get at least a dozen!

rezman
08-08-2018, 11:15 AM

shawnw
08-08-2018, 11:58 AM
w
o
w

MikeLucky
08-08-2018, 02:20 PM
And a slim chickens! And a zaxby’s! And a bee dubs!

So, I can't tell if you are joking.... Lol. But, it's not a gangster, it's a musician. And, the slim isn't because you'll be slim, it's an homage to Slim Whitman and I assume also a play on words with the phrase "slim pickings." Southern and soulful is what they are going for...

Uptowner
08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
I’m 100% not joking. Slim Whitman, who I own on the 7” pressings of “Indian love call” and one of my favorite old mono discs. Never wore a hat over his face like that. And Slim Pickens used that stage name as a play on “slim pickings” which means that there’s nothing good to choose from. I don’t have a doctorate in marketing, but it was my minor for my MBA, and the whole brand has got SMH written all over it.

I mean, my comments and statements 60% of the time, every time, have some smatterings of cynisim, sarcasm, ire, or lampooning. So I’m not typing hate speech against a chicken finger chain. But, slim chickens???

Uptowner
08-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Btw as I recently posted in another thread. My wife, while not that ignorant, thinks of meat as meat and not consisting of a living being. I head in the sand meat-a-tarian.

mugofbeer
08-08-2018, 06:19 PM
I’m 100% not joking. Slim Whitman, who I own on the 7” pressings of “Indian love call” and one of my favorite old mono discs. Never wore a hat over his face like that. And Slim Pickens used that stage name as a play on “slim pickings” which means that there’s nothing good to choose from. I don’t have a doctorate in marketing, but it was my minor for my MBA, and the whole brand has got SMH written all over it.

I mean, my comments and statements 60% of the time, every time, have some smatterings of cynisim, sarcasm, ire, or lampooning. So I’m not typing hate speech against a chicken finger chain. But, slim chickens???

Do you really think anyone but a "slim pickins" of folks give the name of the chain that much thought? I saw it, thought about the actor Slim Pickins, thought of Blazing Saddles and Dr. Strangelove - gave it a chuckle and drove on. I was thinking more how OKC should change the name of the Northwest Hiway out there around Rockwell and MacArthur to Chicken Row - but they seem to be bunched in other places, too.

MikeLucky
08-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Oh, I'm not suggesting it's a good name... Just that I don't think there was ever any intention for it to indicate any sort of healthy or slimming properties. The owner's mother came up with the name, so I'm sure she was just a fan.

TheTravellers
09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
It's painted red and white as of last Sat.

SEMIweather
10-31-2018, 05:39 PM
This is open now.

TheSteveHunt
11-01-2018, 06:41 AM
please drive past and drive the extra 6 miles to Hand-E-Sack on E 27th 'n Kelly...best fried chicken by far....

SEMIweather
11-02-2018, 09:29 AM
please drive past and drive the extra 6 miles to Hand-E-Sack on E 27th 'n Kelly...best fried chicken by far....

Haven't tried Hand-E-Sack yet, but Tez Wings over in Midwest City is pretty great.

PaddyShack
11-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Talking about the plethora of chicken options, Yukon has every chicken chain, concentrated along Garth Brooks Blvd, except for maybe a few link Slim Chickens and Churchs I believe...

TheSteveHunt
11-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Haven't tried Hand-E-Sack yet, but Tez Wings over in Midwest City is pretty great.

I got spoiled in Austin with Pluckers, best Wing restaurant in this part of the country by far.