View Full Version : Oklahoma City loses officer in line of duty

mranderson
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
This guy is in some deep, deep trouble. I hope he hangs.

My sympathy goes out to the police department and the officers friends and family. What a shame this had to happen.

By Jesse Olivarez
The Oklahoman

An Oklahoma City police officer died today after crashing his patrol car during a chase of a motorcyclist through northwest Oklahoma City, Capt. Jeffrey Becker said .
The officer, whose name has not been released, was rushed to OU Medical Center where he died, Becker said.

About 3 a.m., the officer attempted to pull over a man driving a motorcycle with a woman passenger in the 300 block of N Meridian Avenue. The motorcyclist sped off and the chase began, Becker said.

During the chase, the motorcyclist dropped off his passenger and continued to wind through northwest Oklahoma City. At the intersection of Pennsylvania and Northwest Expressway, the officer was following the motorcycle when a pickup truck pulled into traffic, police said.

The officer swerved and crashed into a street sign, tree and pole, Becker said.

Police located the woman who was riding on the motorcycle and were interviewing her earlier today, Becker said. The motorcycle was later recovered near NW 50 and Classen, where officer searched today for the motorcyclist.

The motorcyclist is described as white, in his 20s, about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing about 200 pounds. Witnesses told police the man had a pierced

mranderson
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Police identified their colleague as Sgt. Jonathon Dragus, 32, who died earlier today at OU Medical Center.

About 3 a.m., the officer attempted to pull over a man driving a motorcycle with a woman passenger in the 300 block of N Meridian Avenue.

The motorcyclist sped off and the chase began, Becker said.

During the chase, the motorcyclist dropped off his passenger and continued to wind through northwest Oklahoma City.

At the intersection of Pennsylvania and Northwest Expressway, Dragus was following the motorcycle when a pickup truck pulled into traffic, police said.

Dragus swerved and crashed into a street sign, tree and pole, police said. After searching the area of the chase, police detained Chelsea Free, 16, who they believe was the passenger on the motorcycle, and questioned her. She was later arrested and booked for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, according to police.

The stolen motorcycle was later recovered near NW 50 and Classen, near where officer searched today for the motorcyclist.

A manhunt continued this afternoon for Kyle Wayne Grider, 22, who police believe was driving the stolen motorcycle.

Karried
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Looks like they just caught the guy - what an idiot. If he would have just pulled over - the family wouldn't be without their family member and he wouldn't be facing life in prison. He just ruined his life and all those involved. What a terrible waste.

MadMonk
10-21-2005, 06:17 AM
One of my coworkers is good friends with the Officer's partner. He was riding in second police car and saw the whole thing happen before his eyes. How devastating for him too. BTW, I think the Officer has two kids, one 2yr old and another only a few months old. This is soo sad. :(

Karried
10-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Ohhhh, I can't imagine the pain his wife is going through and those poor babies will grow up without a dad.. what a horrible thing - so pointless, it just doesn't make sense.

Keith
10-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Ohhhh, I can't imagine the pain his wife is going through and those poor babies will grow up without a dad.. what a horrible thing - so pointless, it just doesn't make sense.
I heard that the suspect will have numerous charges against him, especially since he has had 5 prior arrests for the same crime. They just filed another charge on him...2nd degree murder. This guy should never, ever, be allowed to walk or drive the streets again. He deserves life in prison. What is interesting is that most officers lose their lives by being shot by an assailant, not by having an accident.

BailJumper
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I see the jury is now deliberating the fate if Grider for the death of OCPD officer Dragus.

It's been over a year since this was discussed on this forum - so what are your thoughts as this draws to a close?

Personally, I disagree with the charges against Grider. I simply do not agree that "murder" is the appropriate charge. If we had something like 'felony eluding which resulted in the injury or death of a police officer' then I'd have no arguement. It could even carry the same punishment as the murder charge and I'd be okay with that.

I just really have a problem placing all the blame on Grider when I feel the officer and the 3rd driver share some of the.... I don't like to use the word 'blame' but they had direct involvement in the outcome.

It has always bothered me that an officer will pursue someone for a nonviolent property crime at speeds up to 125 MPH (endangering everyone) yet they have no interest in actually solving property crimes by taking finger prints, questioning neighbors and following up on tips. I guess the chase is just too much fun to resist.

I guess my only gripe is semantics as I'm okay with him getting 20-life.

Martin
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
grider was stealing a motorbike and led police on a high-speed chase... both of which are felonies. an individual commits 'capital murder' when somebody dies as a result of the commission of a felony... regardless of whether that death was circumstantial or accidental. therefore, i think the murder charge is appropriate.

i do agree that the idea of high speed chases is a touchy subject. while the officer was well within his rights to pursue at high speed, i can see where you're coming from. -M

BailJumper
01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Pursuit policies were changed as a result of this incident.

Karried
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, I have to agree that 'murder' really shouldn't be the charge.. although, I am content to have this person go to prison for the same length of time as if were a murder.

A life was lost as a direct result of this criminal fleeing .. shaky though to call it murder.

Wouldn't it be manslaughter?

mranderson
01-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, I have to agree that 'murder' really shouldn't be the charge.. although, I am content to have this person go to prison for the same length of time as if were a murder.

A life was lost as a direct result of this criminal fleeing .. shaky though to call it murder.

Wouldn't it be manslaughter?

No. If someone dies while you are in the commision of a felony, and that death is directly or indirectly related to your crime, then you are guilty of what is known as the felony murder rule. Example. Say you knock over a conveniance store and the clerk drops dead of a heart attack. You are guilty of murder, just as if you whacked him or her.

Same for Grider. He was attempting to elude an officer which is a felony. Dragus died as a result. No, Grider did not physically kill him. However, regardless, the accident occured because Dragus was pursuing Grider. Therefore, under the Felony murder rule, Grider is guilty of first degree murder.

Martin
01-26-2007, 05:38 PM
right, right... the appropriate term is, in fact, felony murder. this is a first... pause for effect... i'm gonna have to agree with anderson on this one. the law is pretty clear-cut in its definition. while one can argue whether or not felony murder is a good law, there is no debate that it exists and that it applies to this incident.

as far as procedure being modified due to this event... i'm surprised it wasn't already changed prior to 2005. many municipalities abandoned high speed chases in the 90's due to similar indidents. -M

Karried
01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
That makes more sense, someone dying while in the process of a felony being committed, could be considered murder. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not in the know about felons or the law surrounding the issue.. thanks for the clarification.

mranderson
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
That makes more sense, someone dying while in the process of a felony being committed, could be considered murder. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not in the know about felons or the law surrounding the issue.. thanks for the clarification.

No problem. BTW. IT was just announced... GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 45 years on second degree.