View Full Version : Hot Bars to "See and Be Seen" August 2018

Mr. Blue Sky
08-05-2018, 10:09 PM
There are so many new options for bars in Oklahoma City. Forgetting suburbia, with Midtown, the Plaza District, Bricktown, Film Row, Farmer's Market, I hear all of these names but have no context for most of them. We went out the other night to see some places my wife and I had never seen before. For example, we'd never even been inside Fassler Hall. Great for what it is I guess, but it seemed to be very much a twenty-something bar, at least at the time we were there. We ended up that night at McNellie's Public House only because it was familiar.

I would love to see a listing of some of these places, their target age and customer base, $$$ category, and a couple of sentences about each. For example: "Mostly pretty young but a smattering of forties and pretty welcoming. Good weekend deals on tap. Busy Wednesday night because of trivia." That was for a non-existent place unless I just pegged someplace by luck.

It's very hard to know where to take friends from out of town without the context and usual age range of many of these places. Any thoughts on where to go these days, for varying ages, to "see and be seen" and just hang out for a night a beer, drinks, fun?

Uptowner
08-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Uptown always has a ton of diversity. Age and demographic. Paseo trends a bit younger from the people who live in all the rental properties up that way.

Arbolada is definitely a scene to be seen. As is Jones assembly. Lots of very attractive people. While you’re in the area you can stop into flashback and get a gander at the divorcee middle aged hopeless nerds. Which I’m sure I’d fall into the category if I hadn’t married a woman who still believes she can be a fairy princess when she grows up.

I’ve kinda given up on midtown, it’s trending young and is way more destination than neighborhood. It certainly offends some people when I say it’s the new bricktown. But young people travel from all over the metro to be there on the weekends whereas bricktown is more of a stay the night, see a concert, nba or baseball game, more PG / PG-13 experience.

I live in uptown so I’m biased but I genuinely believe I see a more diverse cross-section of demographic, income, etc.

There’s also a sizable handful of places sprouting up in the auto alley area, funky taprooms from twisted spike and prairie ales, cool restaurants like broadway 10, packards, bars like sidecar make for stylish and high end libations. There’s no such thing anymore as a restaurant that opens up these days that’s not just as capable of being a bar as it is an eatery. Even the breakfast places that close at 2pm have full liquor bars that accommodate dozens of seats. So it’s not weird to go to a steakhouse like mahogany’s downtown, with no intention of eating, and get a really well made cocktail. Fassler Hall for instance, i would be shocked if they are actually doing more sausage sales than beer sales.

jerrywall
08-06-2018, 02:42 PM
The biggest trouble I've had is finding a good over 40 casual bar that's non smoking. Skinny Slim's is the closest I've found, but gets so crowded and noisy. If Cousins or such were non smoking they'd be closer. I do like some of the tap rooms, but they can also be over crowded as well.

thunderbird
08-06-2018, 03:28 PM
I’d say that VZDs fits that bill unless they have a special event going on. I’m 36 and usually on the younger side of patrons but not always. It’s a pretty diverse crowd socioeconomic wise as well. Certainly has a neighborhood vibe but is welcoming to everyone.

Harbinger
08-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Best suggestions for "hot bars" for introverts? Like if you were to stereotype a librarian hangout to imbibe?

hoya
08-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Best suggestions for "hot bars" for introverts? Like if you were to stereotype a librarian hangout to imbibe?

I'm an introvert, and I'm a big fan of a place called "my house". Very exclusive.

Bullbear
08-07-2018, 08:13 AM
I love that most all the new spots in town are non smoking which makes it easy for others to get me to try new places. I am sad however that the Gay bars are slow adopters to this concept. there is only ONE non smoking gay bar in OKC ( Apothecary 39). so that is about the only G bar I drop into other than patio at Phoenix.

LocoAko
08-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Uptown always has a ton of diversity. Age and demographic. Paseo trends a bit younger from the people who live in all the rental properties up that way.

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote (esp. regarding Midtown), but I was out at Scratch Paseo this past Friday night and it was hugely diverse age-wise (and packed), with everyone from young 20s to plenty of middle-aged and even senior citizens having cocktails. I actually really enjoyed it. I'm sure places like The Root may tend to be younger, though.

Uptowner
08-07-2018, 08:38 AM
I’m with you on scratch, and totally forgot to include them in my reply. I’m hoping the new developments in Paseo can kind of tie the districts together. The root, sauced, and the other room are always what comes to mind when I think paseo bars. They are basement price points and full of youngster paying obscene rents in the paseo.

A much younger friend of mine told a week ago that they raised rent to $850 for a renovated single bedroom unit in the Brighton. He invited me over for a swim and a BBQ in July. I saw the units are hit & miss on renovation as they do them based on tenants moving in & out. But his had ancient brown carpet I wouldn’t dare walk on barefoot and the pool was full of bugs & hair & god knows what else. But the place, and everywhere else in paseo is at full capacity.

Mr. Blue Sky
08-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the responses - especially to you, Uptowner, good information.
Will be fun to see others chime in and how things change.

Anonymous.
08-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Bleu Garten/Fassler/Kongs cluster on the west side of Midtown is 20 somethings and college kids with fakes. Kongs has a cultish following and there are a lot of "regulars", sometimes difficult to get drink if you are a random.

The Yard/Sidecar/Cultivar cluster on the east side of Midtown is more averaging around 30+. I describe The Yard to people as Bleu Garten, but for adults (plus they have $10 beer bands that get you literally 10 beers for the night. The best deal in all of OKC I'm pretty sure.) Sidecar is pricey and scales to older people who like quiet. Cultivar is good for margaritas and appetizer before heading out for drinking.

Guyutes/Pump/Bunker/Ponyboy cluster in uptown is probably the biggest age range. Pump has the most eclectic crowd in OKC, IMO. There is frat guys, hippies, punks, pretty people, people in gym attire with their dogs. Drink deals @ the Pump shaped OKC's beer/shot combo scene ($5 for cheap beer and a well shot). Bunker is more cult-ish and definitely is a favorite by the grunge/hipster crowd. PonyBoy is casual drinking downstairs, with danceparty upstairs. A lot of 30+ people dance here along with 20 somethings.

AnchorDown/UrbanJonnie/WSKY/DDG cluster in deep deuce is frequented nightly by the local residents obviously. But on weekends the area is usually full of live music. AnchorDown is more of a pitstop place than a camp out one. A lot of people come here for a few drinks and some tots or corndogs before heading elsewhere. Their patio is good for catching the live music by the dog park next door. UrbanJonnie is a sportsbar that definitely trends to older people and anyone staying @ the aLoft that are not from OKC. WSKY is smokey and pricey, older crowd for sure. DDG crowd is probably the most eclectic for downtown, a lot of people with dogs and gym shorts. Great food menu and HappyHour (4-7) is every day.

There is more, but that is a general rundown of some bar clusters and my experiences.

Mr. Blue Sky
08-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Bleu Garten/Fassler/Kongs cluster on the west side of Midtown is 20 somethings and college kids with fakes. Kongs has a cultish following and there are a lot of "regulars", sometimes difficult to get drink if you are a random.

The Yard/Sidecar/Cultivar cluster on the east side of Midtown is more averaging around 30+. I describe The Yard to people as Bleu Garten, but for adults (plus they have $10 beer bands that get you literally 10 beers for the night. The best deal in all of OKC I'm pretty sure.) Sidecar is pricey and scales to older people who like quiet. Cultivar is good for margaritas and appetizer before heading out for drinking.

Guyutes/Pump/Bunker/Ponyboy cluster in uptown is probably the biggest age range. Pump has the most eclectic crowd in OKC, IMO. There is frat guys, hippies, punks, pretty people, people in gym attire with their dogs. Drink deals @ the Pump shaped OKC's beer/shot combo scene ($5 for cheap beer and a well shot). Bunker is more cult-ish and definitely is a favorite by the grunge/hipster crowd. PonyBoy is casual drinking downstairs, with danceparty upstairs. A lot of 30+ people dance here along with 20 somethings.

AnchorDown/UrbanJonnie/WSKY/DDG cluster in deep deuce is frequented nightly by the local residents obviously. But on weekends the area is usually full of live music. AnchorDown is more of a pitstop place than a camp out one. A lot of people come here for a few drinks and some tots or corndogs before heading elsewhere. Their patio is good for catching the live music by the dog park next door. UrbanJonnie is a sportsbar that definitely trends to older people and anyone staying @ the aLoft that are not from OKC. WSKY is smokey and pricey, older crowd for sure. DDG crowd is probably the most eclectic for downtown, a lot of people with dogs and gym shorts. Great food menu and HappyHour (4-7) is every day.

There is more, but that is a general rundown of some bar clusters and my experiences.

Anonymous, this was exactly what I was hoping to see. It's a very good rundown of several of the clusters. If you feel up to a Part 2 or whatever to cover Paseo, Suburbia, others, when you feel like it, that would be great. I would even treat you to a couple beers at one of your favorites. Very helpful and thanks again!

BridgeBurner
08-08-2018, 09:38 AM
I describe The Yard to people as Bleu Garten, but for adults (plus they have $10 beer bands that get you literally 10 beers for the night. The best deal in all of OKC I'm pretty sure.)
Need more info on this $10 beer band

turnpup
08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm an introvert, and I'm a big fan of a place called "my house". Very exclusive.

This made me smile.

gopokes88
08-08-2018, 11:08 AM
The minute fassler added a dj was the minute I stopped going after dark.

Agreed with uptowner, uptown and jones is where it’s at

Anonymous.
08-08-2018, 01:55 PM
No problem, Mr Blue Sky. Happy to help people discover new places here! I have pointed so many people to new bars that they didn't even know existed, and almost everyone ends up discovering a new 'regular' spot for them!

BridgeBurner, the info is right there. You can go anyday (except sometimes they refuse this offer on concert nights) and pay $10 for a wristband, and you can go up to any of the bars/beer coolers and get up to 10 beers. It is perfect if you have a group of people, too. They simply give your wristband a tally for every beer you redeem. Again, it is the cheap beers, so if you are a beer snob then avoid this.

Uptowner
08-08-2018, 04:50 PM
oh man, the $10 for 10 beers thing just gave me an instant mental hangover. I don’t think your supposed to serve someone 10 beers are you? Or at least not in such a “oh yeah that guy who puked on the sidewalk then punched a nun? Yeah he bought a 10 beer wristband.”

BoulderSooner
08-09-2018, 08:20 AM
oh man, the $10 for 10 beers thing just gave me an instant mental hangover. I don’t think your supposed to serve someone 10 beers are you? Or at least not in such a “oh yeah that guy who puked on the sidewalk then punched a nun? Yeah he bought a 10 beer wristband.”

1. you can share the beers ... 2. 10 3.2 beers over a 3 or 4 hour period is not really that big of a deal

BridgeBurner
08-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Haha 10 beers for $10 sounds like the perfect mix of "terrible idea" and "too good to be true." It has intrigued me enough to want to go back to the Yard for the first time since it opened and I forgot about it though.

As for my bar recommendations:
Favorite Dive Bars- The Flea (non smoking) and the Lost Highway (smoking). Both are cheap and a good mix of demographics and age groups. Flea feels super comfortable to me, mainly because nobody seems to care if my friends and I dominate the jukebox haha.

Casual outdoor bar- The Pump over bleu garten hands down, I love Bleu right after work but at night its a personal space nightmare. Also GoodTimes! Haven't been to GoodTimes enough to have a finger on the demographic, someone on here said "service industry" and I would say that is pretty accurate. Cheap drinks minus the $10 adult capri-suns of which I would recommend the rum one over any of the others.

"See and Be Seen" bar- Jones Assembly, umc of all ages, millennial heavy, lots of collared shirts and lots of pretty girls. O-bar on the rooftop and Arbolada are also pretty cool and fancy but I have never been to either at night, only for drinks after work or a casual weekend afternoon.

Craft beer bar- McNellies, mainly just dudes of all ages in tshirts drinking beer, food is really good too. I feel like Oak and Ore would be one of my favorite bars in town if every single thing on their menu was $1 cheaper, a lot of craft beer stereotypes.

Brewery: #1 Prairie, #2 Stonecloud. Both are heavy into funky sours, fruity/specialty IPA's, and high abv stouts. Mainly millennials, neither are the type of place you would want to take a father-in-law who only drinks bud light haha. Prairie is cheaper than Stonecloud and has trivia on Sundays.

"Wouldn't it be funny if we went ___ tonight?" bar: Groovy's and Cookies. Both are pretty mixed bag age-wise with a lot of great people watching. Groovy's is like an ironic version of Ponyboy's upstairs dance club, at least to me.

jerrywall
08-09-2018, 02:11 PM
I visit Stonecloud regularly because they're right by my work. However, if I had my wish I'd change up their beers a bit. The Flea is close too, but I didn't consider them cheap (of course, neither is Stonecloud but brewery prices are always off).

For cheap, smoky (which I hate), the Porthole is one of the best.

Anonymous.
08-09-2018, 02:30 PM
I just realized in my post earlier I said WSKY, it is now called Stag. Shows how often I go there...

In regards to The Yard's $10/10 beer deal, I have partook in this deal many nights and I haven't seen anything too crazy (drunk people wise). Except toward closing time it can be a mad-rush to fill your final beer quota. They do normally have an officer on site on weekends, like Bleu Garten.

BridgeBurner
08-09-2018, 02:32 PM
I visit Stonecloud regularly because they're right by my work. However, if I had my wish I'd change up their beers a bit. The Flea is close too, but I didn't consider them cheap (of course, neither is Stonecloud but brewery prices are always off).

For cheap, smoky (which I hate), the Porthole is one of the best.

I want to say last time I was at the Flea they had $4 or $5 pitchers but that might have just been a special.

Jeepnokc
08-10-2018, 05:16 AM
I just realized in my post earlier I said WSKY, it is now called Stag. Shows how often I go there...

Beat me to the correction. It has been STAG for quite a while. As far as being pricey, STAG offers a $6 cocktail list including $6 old fashions and cosmos. Seasonal cocktails run $7-$11 and there is a featured whisky of the week that is generally very affordable. STAG is smoking but changed all the old smokeeaters out for new hi efficiency smokeeaters.