View Full Version : Tandoor

Uptowner
08-05-2018, 09:07 AM
I hate to jump in on another restaurants thread. But.

If you guys like hidden gems inside seedy interstate gas stations. The checkers truck stop on Reno and MLK houses a restaurant with no official name, the signage just says tandoor & Indian grocery. There is indeed a storage closet containing import foods and 50lb sacks of exotic sounding rice. Make your way past the subway counter in the back portion of the building and you’ll find a counter run by a family of young men and the Dad. Be warned, it’s totaly zero frills and kind of intimidating at first. But the food is fresh, made to order, and it’s clean. I almost always do take away. But it is seriously good. My take is that they actually sell a lot of food to Indian truckers...which sounds bizarre. But I see truckers come in and buy mountains of food and groceries that they load into their sleeper cabs.

Seriously, if you have the gumption to buy onion dip burgers off a guy named Jabbar at his restaurant lip smackers. Try this Indian place. Also Dahba appears to be back on the map so I’ll have to go check it out. Lastly, anyone know if the fusion kitchen in MWC is affiliated with the fusion grill that was in the weird, badly placed and built over the top of the deep fork river strip mall? It’s next door to patty wagon. I wanted SO badly to try that place but they appeared to have some irreconcilable disagreement with the landlord after it shut and never reopened.

Oh, and while we’re slumming it, get yourself down to tacoville and give them a little of your lunch business.

Pete
08-05-2018, 11:52 AM
^

The Gazette just did a great review of Tandoor:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/hidden-delight/Content?oid=4002884

Martin
08-05-2018, 12:10 PM
i went there about 6 years ago... at the time, they had a full-on indian grocery store in addition to the counter. the food was legit but definitely no-frills... i ordered ahead and it probably took me about 15 minutes to walk to the parking garage and then drive there. they must not have started my order until they had cash in hand as I ended up having to wait another solid 20 minutes for my food to be finished. while that was a bit frustrating, the food was really fresh and tasty.

gopokes88
08-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Tandoor is very tasty. Only get it once in a while because I’m not in the neighborhood often but when I am it’s always good.

derp
08-05-2018, 01:09 PM
I hate to jump in on another restaurants thread. But.

If you guys like hidden gems inside seedy interstate gas stations. The checkers truck stop on Reno and MLK houses a restaurant with no official name, the signage just says tandoor & Indian grocery. There is indeed a storage closet containing import foods and 50lb sacks of exotic sounding rice. Make your way past the subway counter in the back portion of the building and you’ll find a counter run by a family of young men and the Dad. Be warned, it’s totaly zero frills and kind of intimidating at first. But the food is fresh, made to order, and it’s clean. I almost always do take away. But it is seriously good. My take is that they actually sell a lot of food to Indian truckers...which sounds bizarre. But I see truckers come in and buy mountains of food and groceries that they load into their sleeper cabs.

Seriously, if you have the gumption to buy onion dip burgers off a guy named Jabbar at his restaurant lip smackers. Try this Indian place. Also Dahba appears to be back on the map so I’ll have to go check it out. Lastly, anyone know if the fusion kitchen in MWC is affiliated with the fusion grill that was in the weird, badly placed and built over the top of the deep fork river strip mall? It’s next door to patty wagon. I wanted SO badly to try that place but they appeared to have some irreconcilable disagreement with the landlord after it shut and never reopened.

Oh, and while we’re slumming it, get yourself down to tacoville and give them a little of your lunch business.

I'm cool with no-frills, but last time I was at Tandoor's the food was way, way too salty. This post has convinced me to give them another try. I love Indian-styles of curry.

SEMIweather
08-05-2018, 03:25 PM
This place is good, and gets bonus points in my book for being one of the few places in OKC that serves legitimately spicy food when you ask for a 5/5 on the spice level.

Speaking of other hidden gems in OKC that serve legitimately spicy food, has anyone else tried Four J's Diner at SW 29th & Agnew? It's a Laotian/Thai place run by an extremely nice couple, and they have a dish called the Weeping Tiger that's absolutely amazing. Would highly recommend checking it out.

Martin
08-05-2018, 06:51 PM
This place is good, and gets bonus points in my book for being one of the few places in OKC that serves legitimately spicy food when you ask for a 5/5 on the spice level.

Speaking of other hidden gems in OKC that serve legitimately spicy food, has anyone else tried Four J's Diner at SW 29th & Agnew? It's a Laotian/Thai place run by an extremely nice couple, and they have a dish called the Weeping Tiger that's absolutely amazing. Would highly recommend checking it out.

thanks for posting this! found their menu online and will have to check them out as part of my search for the perfect pad kee mao.

Uptowner
08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Pete, thanks for moving this to it’s own thread. Perhaps this should be a hole in the wall restaurant thread? There’s a Caribbean restaurant I just researched today called Carican Flavors. Looks amazing. While I may not like dining on disposable plates with plastic cutlery...there’s usually magic happening in the kitchen. Has anyone braved manna?

Midtowner
08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
LOVE Manna. You just have to deal with the TBN playing in the background. Totally worth it though. The food is authentic and on point.

soonermike81
08-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Heard the wait time at Manna at out of control. Even when it’s not busy. Been wanting to try it though, as I’ve heard good things.

SEMIweather
08-05-2018, 10:29 PM
thanks for posting this! found their menu online and will have to check them out as part of my search for the perfect pad kee mao.

No problem! Out of curiosity, what is your favorite pad kee mao in the OKC area? That's one of my favorite Thai dishes, and I'm personally partial to Panang Thai's version of it, though I haven't tried it at Four J's yet.

Thomas Vu
08-06-2018, 07:05 AM
I ordered wrong at Four J's. A friend took a group of us in 2015. I ended up with a beef and broccoli plate. Between the distance and that dish, I'll wait for a few people to hype it up again.

Martin
08-06-2018, 07:43 AM
No problem! Out of curiosity, what is your favorite pad kee mao in the OKC area? That's one of my favorite Thai dishes, and I'm personally partial to Panang Thai's version of it, though I haven't tried it at Four J's yet.

my favorite was at a place called pho saigon (which is certainly odd that they had a decent thai menu) at 28th & classen but it's long gone... they put just a bit of char on the noodles and it was perfection. over the last couple years, i've tried a bunch of places around town searching for somebody who makes the dish as good as they did and i've ended up trying some that are pretty good and some that are pretty bad. i'd have to say that panang is at the top of my list, too. i think that #2 would go to siam noodle on se 15th just east of air depot.

Roger S
08-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Oklahoma City has some great hole in the wall places... Glad to see more people starting to search them out.

I'm going to toss Chibugan in Del City and El Primo Loco (between the old Sooner BBQ and Sonic at SW 36th and Western) into the mix here.

Martin
08-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Oklahoma City has some great hole in the wall places... Glad to see more people starting to search them out.

I'm going to toss Chibugan in Del City and El Primo Loco (between the old Sooner BBQ and Sonic at SW 36th and Western) into the mix here.

i keep meaning to go back to el primo loco but haven't been in years... i'm pretty sure they're the same folks that got their start in a trailer at sw 29th & may.

my dad absolutely *loved* sooner bbq back in the day. maybe he was tasting nostalgia from a time when they put out better food, but as a teenager i could not understand what on earth he liked about that place.

Roger S
08-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Yep. Still the same people at El Primo Loco and I agree 100% about Sooner BBQ... The final years were all about nostalgia.

Motley
08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
I loved Sooner BBQ. Went to summer school at OU in 1980 and buddy worked at the 89ers. We would almost always eat at Sooner's before the game. Can still tell you all the daily specials!

Uptowner
08-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Yup, primo loco was in a trailer on sw 29th. So good. I’ll put my vote to Panang (now at something like 4 locales) for all things Thai. They are especially good at curries and pad Thai.

While we’re talking about holes in the walls. There’s taste of Korea in what I’m nearly certain is an old KFC, pertinent to Pete’s recent post. The absolute must try is the short rib, which is an against the grain bone in cut vs the big fatty hunk that most people are accustomed to. The glass noodles extra spicy, the seafood pancake, the hot pots...omg that place is good. Bring friends because all portions are family style. Oh, and they do all the pickle and Kim chi. Now I know where I’m bribing all my people with free food to help me eat tonight.

Roger S
08-06-2018, 01:14 PM
^^^ I will second and third Taste of Korea.... Everything I've tried there has been stellar.... Especially those short ribs!

BridgeBurner
08-07-2018, 01:48 PM
^^^ I will second and third Taste of Korea.... Everything I've tried there has been stellar.... Especially those short ribs!
Now I am hungry just thinking about the LA Galbi from Taste of Korea...
The place is just west of Jones Assembly on Sheridan and Western if anyone is wondering.

Roger S
08-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Now I am hungry just thinking about the LA Galbi from Taste of Korea...
The place is just west of Jones Assembly on Sheridan and Western if anyone is wondering.

Yeah... If they can survive the construction and the wait for the apartments to start to be occupied. They are going to kill it!

BridgeBurner
08-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Yeah... If they can survive the construction and the wait for the apartments to start to be occupied. They are going to kill it!

Well... I went to Taste of Korea yesterday and I have some bad news- they apparently stopped serving the LA Galbi due to a price hike from their supplier. I told my waitress if they raised the price to $20 I would still order it and she went back and told the manager in Korean lol. Really hope they bring them back.
*sorry last off-topic post in this thread*

Thomas Vu
09-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Stopped by Taste of Korea today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DshPEa2ZU6Kh1UAd9

They've opted to keep the LA Galbi, and it's now at Market price. If it helps, they get the meat from Whole foods.

Also wasn't aware that extra rice comes at a cost. Heads up.

I also forgot to mention that they said the Galbi has improved since 2 months ago, presumably cause of the change in quality of meat.

BridgeBurner
09-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Stopped by Taste of Korea today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DshPEa2ZU6Kh1UAd9

They've opted to keep the LA Galbi, and it's now at Market price. If it helps, they get the meat from Whole foods.

Also wasn't aware that extra rice comes at a cost. Heads up.

Yes! Haha I'm glad they took my advice, thanks Thomas!