View Full Version : Hornets Marketing?

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
When it was announced that the Hornets were coming to OKC I really thought the city would go crazy and we would see Hornets stuff everywhere. In other large cities I have been that have NBA teams (New Orleans, Miami, etc.) they had large billboards and ads that covered the sides of buildings. You knew you were in a big city.

I don't go downtown very often so there may be some things I missed. I went downtown last week and drove right by the Ford Center and around downtown OKC and saw nothing. I saw nothing at the Ford Center that would let me know there is an NBA team playing there. I expected to see some banners or something! There is a large set of windows on the outside of the Ford Center and they were completely bare. They could put a large banner inside that window.

If this is going to work, downtown OKC is going to have to embrace the Hornets and let people know this is where they belong. We need that small town (Norman, Stillwater, Green Bay) support of this team. Am I the only one that thinks they (Hornets, OKC, local businesses) could do a better job letting people know this is there home?

mranderson
10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
When it was announced that the Hornets were coming to OKC I really thought the city would go crazy and we would see Hornets stuff everywhere. In other large cities I have been that have NBA teams (New Orleans, Miami, etc.) they had large billboards and ads that covered the sides of buildings. You knew you were in a big city.

I don't go downtown very often so there may be some things I missed. I went downtown last week and drove right by the Ford Center and around downtown OKC and saw nothing. I saw nothing at the Ford Center that would let me know there is an NBA team playing there. I expected to see some banners or something! There is a large set of windows on the outside of the Ford Center and they were completely bare. They could put a large banner inside that window.

If this is going to work, downtown OKC is going to have to embrace the Hornets and let people know this is where they belong. We need that small town (Norman, Stillwater, Green Bay) support of this team. Am I the only one that thinks they (Hornets, OKC, local businesses) could do a better job letting people know this is there home?

Please keep in mind, the city of Oklahoma City negotiated and consumated the contract to be awarded the franchise faster than probably any in history. It usually takes a year to successfully negotiate for one. For that reason, there is not enough time yet to prnt the materials and manufacture signs for the team (ie: plastic signs for the front of the Ford Center). I bet you find these in place shortly.

Karried
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I think maybe the ticket sales have exceeded expectations and they really don't have to market as much as they anticipated - just a guess, but I do hope we will see tons of advertising and marketing the next few weeks when the games get started.

I borrowed this from Scotplum's posting:

"I just met George Shinn about 10 minutes ago. I chatted with him one-on-one for a minute or two. Nice guy. He spoke at a meeting I attended, and said:

1. He feels even more strongly in his gut every day that the season will be a sellout. All 37 games.

2. Corporate participation has already far outstripped what they ever had in New Orleans. They already have 7 or 8 corporate partners locally who have spent $1 million plus for this season. He said that the notion that a city has to have a ton of fortune 500 companies is mostly a myth. The main thing is getting the butts in the seats, which he is confident they will do. Besides that, the main difference between a market of, say, New York and OKC is the television contracts. He said super large markets can make huge money off of TV, which the Hornets won't have the luxury of doing, but that puts them square in the same boat as many other teams.

3. OKC just passed Phoenix in group sales, taking over the number nine spot in the NBA. He believes we will end up in the top five, in rare air with New York, Miami, Dallas, LA... ...they all are pretty stunned by it.

4. He feels OKC will come very close to leading the league in average attendance, limited only by the fact that the Ford Center has 3-5 thousand seats less than a (very) few of the other arenas. Most of the arenas are the same size or even smaller than the Ford Center.

Overall, the OKC response has far exceeded their expectations, and ranks as one of the most impressive in the history of the NBA."

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
I would think it would be alot more difficult to workout a contract to move an NBA team than make a few banners. The hornets already have art work for everything. You just need to add OKC and print it. How long has it been since they announced they are coming, 6-8 weeks?

BDP
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
The hornets already have art work for everything. You just need to add OKC and print it.

Very true. Printing banners takes no time at all, especially if the artwork is already done. My guess is that it partly has been unessecary and also it may just be a case of no one really knowing who is supposed to do it or where the money comes from. It definately would take longer for local business people to get organized and find the money than phsycially make the materials.

The most surprising thing is the absence of promo materials at the Ford Center. I agree someone is dropping the ball there.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Very true. Printing banners takes no time at all, especially if the artwork is already done. My guess is that it partly has been unessecary and also it may just be a case of no one really knowing who is supposed to do it or where the money comes from. It definately would take longer for local business people to get organized and find the money than phsycially make the materials.

The most surprising thing is the absence of promo materials at the Ford Center. I agree someone is dropping the ball there.

It takes time to find a vendor and to negotiate contracts for services. It could be the team was forced to move so quickly, those contracts have not been completed. Or, the contract has just been completed and the items have not been printed yet. It could be different than the contract for tickets.

scotplum
10-20-2005, 10:17 AM
I would imagine that any marketing material such as banners and the like would need to be approved by the NBA. You'd think the NBA would "hurry up" on OKC stuff but who knows how that really works. I agree though, I thought I would see more stuff at the Ford Center and even in the Bricktown area. Let's wait for the first few games to see if that changes.

Laramie
10-20-2005, 10:52 AM
You must keep in mind that officially this is still New Orleans' team.

If this team was solely an Oklahoma, Oklahoma City team or an Oklahoma City-Tulsa something, you might see more marketing and billboard information.

I'm amazed of the response Oklahoma City has gotten just in the short time we have had to begin marketing this team. GREAT JOB FOR A TRUELY GREAT CITY (Oklahoma City)!

Larry D. Fry
Oklahoma City-Fort Worth

mranderson
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
You must keep in mind that officially this is still New Orleans' team.

If this team was solely an Oklahoma, Oklahoma City team or an Oklahoma City-Tulsa something, you might see more marketing and billboard information.

I'm amazed of the response Oklahoma City has gotten just in the short time we have had to begin marketing this team. GREAT JOB FOR A TRUELY GREAT CITY (Oklahoma City)!

Larry D. Fry
Oklahoma City-Fort Worth

Granted. However, in the local marketing, New Orleans is barely mentioned. It is being marketed as an Oklahoma City franchise.

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I think if the Hornets or the NBA think there is any chance that the team may stay in OKC, they need to start getting the city to "buy in" to the Hornets. For a temporary stay it is okay to sell us on Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, etc. but if they think they may permanately relocate here, they need to build loyalty with the fans. Loyalty is what puts fans in the stands when the record is 15-50.

I'm not asking for a $1,000,000 campaign. I think they should change the banners on the light posts to Hornets banners. Put some banners at the Ford Center or maybe get one of those projectors that projects a logo on the side of the Ford Center at night.

If the problem is money, the local businesses need to step up and take care of the costs. I hope the businesses downtown and in Bricktown realize how big it is to have an NBA basketball team in their city. It's like adding another 35 Paul McCartney or Elton John concerts every year. It also helps us attract tourists, conventions, and other businesses.

I want this team to stay in OKC more than anyone. New Orleans is going to lose the Saints. You don't think they are going to do everything possible to keep the Hornets? They will cut off their arm to keep them. If we want them to stay we can't just be good, we have to be unlike anything the NBA has ever seen.

Laramie
10-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Mr. Anderson:

I'm so use to calling yo Rob (Oregonian forum)!

Check out Tulsa Now forum. I have mixed emotions about what they are saying about OKC!

Looks like a lots of jealousy there! Do you agree?

Larry D. Fry
Oklahoma City-Fort Worth

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Maybe I'm getting worked up and over reacting but I think this is a huge opportunity for us and we need to give it 100%. I think the City of OKC is ultimately responsible for making sure this works. We can't control what the Hornets or the NBA decides to do with this team after this year. We can sell out and fill every seat and they can still leave. We can control how our city is perceived and if we get the opportunity to get a team in the future by what we do now.

Karried
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Check out Tulsa Now forum. I have mixed emotions about what they are saying about OKC!

There are only a few negative posters there and the last post regarding the Hornets was on September 28 so I don't think they are really giving us too much grief or even thinking too much about OKC (unless there is a heated discussion going on that I missed).

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
What is the web address for Tulsa Now?

scotplum
10-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the City of OKC is ultimately responsible for making sure this works. We can't control what the Hornets or the NBA decides to do with this team after this year. We can sell out and fill every seat and they can still leave. We can control how our city is perceived and if we get the opportunity to get a team in the future by what we do now.

Well said, I agree.

BDP
10-20-2005, 12:19 PM
It takes time to find a vendor and to negotiate contracts for services.

It does take time... maybe 2 hours of calling several vendors and maybe 24 to get bids, review them and pick the best one. Like I said, it is simply a matter of allocating man hours and funding to it. In terms of the Hornets they may have simply made an appropriate opportunity cost analysis and realized the tickets are selling without the effort, so they have their people doing other things. As for the local businesses, its simply a matter of finding the money and doing it. In the case of bricktown, some things would need to be reviewed.

But as far as printing signs, you could have your house covered in them in a few days if you had the design done. And if you were a client as big as the Hornets, you could probably have it done in a few hours at a deep deep discount.

Karried
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe if we forward our requests/concerns about the lack of marketing for the Hornets, they might consider increasing their efforts.

From the Greater Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce:

PR Contacts

Our PR team is here to facilitate your request as quickly as possible. Please call or email us and we will respond promptly. Please contact:

Christine Berney (cberney@okcchamber.com?subject=Email%20from%20Cha mber%20website)
cberney@okcchamber.com

Manager, Public Relations and Image Development
405/297-8990

Cynthia Reid (creid@okcchamber.com?cc=rrahill@okcchamber.com&subject=Email%20from%20okcchamber.com)

creid@okcchamber.com
rrahill@okcchamber.com

405/297-8942

BDP
10-20-2005, 12:30 PM
I think they should change the banners on the light posts to Hornets banners.

I'd like to see them just work it into their current campaign which I think highlights all the different things to do in Bricktown (if you're talking in front of the FC on Reno, I totally agree). I believe in Bricktown the banner campaigns are reviewed by the district. There is a bit of bureaucracy involved when dealing with public light posts. That could be cause for not having Hornets banners on city light posts.

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
In terms of the Hornets they may have simply made an appropriate opportunity cost analysis and realized the tickets are selling without the effort, so they have their people doing other things.

It's not just about selling tickets. This is the first time we have ever had a pro franchise. The tickets will sell themselves. It's about creating a buzz and getting the people of OKC and Oklahoma to "buy in" and accept the team. It's about getting the people to educate themselves about the players and the game. It's about getting people pumped up and ready to go to the Ford Center and scream their heart out for 2 1/2 hours. It's about the players seeing the buzz around the city and feeling accepted and wanting to be here.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
"This is the first time we have ever had a pro franchise."

Jeez! In one ear and out the other. I guess some people will never learn what "pro" means.:surrender

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
"This is the first time we have ever had a pro franchise."

Jeez! In one ear and out the other. I guess some people will never learn what "pro" means.:surrender

I really hope your not talking about the Blazers, Yard Dawgz, and Red Hawks. I don't consider you a pro franchise when your players make the same as a high school drop out working in a warehouse. I don't think your going to see Chris Paul getting a day job as a teacher like all of the Yard Dawgz have to.

metro
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Granted. However, in the local marketing, New Orleans is barely mentioned. It is being marketed as an Oklahoma City franchise.

Whether this is true or not, legalities are legalities and protocol is protocol. As previously mentioned this move was thrown together less than a month ago. The Bricktown Association had banners up over the main Sheridan entrances to Bricktown and a huge one on the vacant building on Reno across from the ballpark. I think this was exceptional considering they were put up right before the official press conference announcing the move. The team is officially N.O. and OKC's team as it was officially stated! We do have to give special consideration considering the circumstances and the timelines especially in such a short matter of time, you dont just print things off, only a fool would flush money out like that. If they have already sold 10,000 season tickets in just 2-3 weeks, why would they waste additional advertising money without creating a long term strategy?? Be patient and it will come !

John
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I really hope your not talking about the Blazers, Yard Dawgz, and Red Hawks. I don't consider you a pro franchise when your players make the same as a high school drop outs working in a warehouse. I don't think your going to see Chris Paul getting a day job as a teacher like all of the Yard Dawgz have to.

Here, here!

Excluding the Hornets, the RedHawks are the only 'pro' franchise in OKC where its players can make a living solely by playing their respective sport. And a few of them still have to bust their hump in the off season.

metro
10-20-2005, 02:27 PM
what does that have to do with hornets marketing?? back to topic

mranderson
10-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Those high school dropouts working in that warehouse are professional warehouse workers, my friend. Those athletes who bust their tails in the AA leagues may not make what you would label a high wage, however, they ARE professional athletes. They get a paycheck to play. It is just like that actor or actress who works for scale. The "day" job is not their career.

metro
10-20-2005, 02:30 PM
back to topic

mranderson
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
back to topic

I agree. Just think of the second to last comment of mine.

crazy4ou
10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Those high school dropouts working in that warehouse are professional warehouse workers, my friend. Those athletes who bust their tails in the AA leagues may not make what you would label a high wage, however, they ARE professional athletes. They get a paycheck to play. It is just like that actor or actress who works for scale. The "day" job is not their career.

No it doesn't. It means they are the only people they can find to do the work for that price. As Toby Keith say's "semi pro means semi paid."

BDP
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
It's not just about selling tickets. This is the first time we have ever had a pro franchise. The tickets will sell themselves. It's about creating a buzz and getting the people of OKC and Oklahoma to "buy in" and accept the team. It's about getting the people to educate themselves about the players and the game. It's about getting people pumped up and ready to go to the Ford Center and scream their heart out for 2 1/2 hours. It's about the players seeing the buzz around the city and feeling accepted and wanting to be here.

Oh, I agree with your point. I was just speculating as to why none of it has been done, yet. I just meant that relocating in about 6 weeks meant making priorities and promotional decorations may have been bumped for the time being. I'm all for making it impossible for anyone downtown to miss the fact that the Hornets are playing here this season.

floater
10-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh, I agree with your point. I was just speculating as to why none of it has been done, yet. I just meant that relocating in about 6 weeks meant making priorities and promotional decorations may have been bumped for the time being. I'm all for making it impossible for anyone downtown to miss the fact that the Hornets are playing here this season.

I agree, between the blazing ticket sales, relocation, staff departures (including the marketing chief McDougall), and event prep, the Hornets have their plates full. But you would think some other party would help hype up the Hornets downtown! Bricktown Assoc has their signs but there are only two of them (don't know where the big third one went). After all, that's part of the fun -- the hype!

We need to be shouting out that the Hornets are here! As mentioned earlier, this is not just about a game; it's about creating a sense of excitement and vibrancy downtown. We need to make it to where people will want to go downtown even if they aren't attending the game.

Let's have those banners and marquees! How about teal, purple, and yellow balloons on lampposts? "Can you hear the buzz?"

John
10-21-2005, 01:02 AM
I think we'll see more signs/banners/etc pop up very soon, November 1 isn't too far away.

metro
10-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Balloons?? Those would last no time at all and be kind of tacky. Let the experts do what they will