View Full Version : Who does this?

jerrywall
08-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Fun day. Flat tire on my classic truck I bought a few months back. Found this under the cover on the spare.

And no. I wasn't given the key.

OkiePoke
08-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Hey, it's not stolen!!!

jerrywall
08-02-2018, 04:51 PM
A hacksaw, a screwdriver, hammer, pliers, and a few hours later at Hibdon, to find it was a bad valve stem.

ABryant
08-02-2018, 05:16 PM
When I was a college student at OU, Norman did not have a movie theater so I drove to Okc. I got a flat tire on the way back. Then I found out the lug nuts were locked, and nobody gave me the key. I learned an important lesson about checking these things out when you buy a used car. I feel your pain, but I bet it will never happen to you again.

jerrywall
08-02-2018, 05:18 PM
I've seen locking lug nuts. I've never see someone put a whole in a bolt for a lock. Even the folks at Hibdon were shocked.

Uptowner
08-02-2018, 06:29 PM
A $100 investment in a side grinder with a cutoff wheel will be the best money you ever spend...nothing will ever stand in your way again..

Mel
08-02-2018, 07:09 PM
That sux.

Urbanized
08-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Or, just use two of the wrenches you probably already have hanging on the pegboard in your garage. Don’t tell anyone about this one though or padlocks will become obsolete:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yp6xXp7Po

Johnb911
08-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Had an Isuzu Rodeo in college. Got a flat on the way to class. Spare hung on the back of the car, and when I went to take the tire cover off, boom, padlocked. Needless to say I didn't make it to class. Had to have a buddy drive me to Home Depot to buy some bolt cutters

jerrywall
08-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Or, just use two of the wrenches you probably already have hanging on the pegboard in your garage. Don’t tell anyone about this one though or padlocks will become obsolete:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yp6xXp7Po

Well, that might have been easier.

rezman
08-03-2018, 08:23 AM
A $100 investment in a side grinder with a cutoff wheel will be the best money you ever spend...nothing will ever stand in your way again..

$100 ? … I want to be your tool salesman.

I had a GMC that had the spare stolen out from under it twice. Thieves were using cordless drills with a flathead screwdriver shank chucked up and they would just walk up to the truck, insert the screwdriver head into the tire winch and down it came. I built my own lock that went through the hole in the bumper and into the winch and was able to keep my spare after that. The manufacturers have been putting locks on from the factory for a while now.

Bullbear
08-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Urbanized.. that video you posted is blacked out for me.. and now I feel like you let out a secret that has been erased..LOL

Urbanized
08-03-2018, 08:50 AM
^^^^^^^^
Haha just search on YouTube for “break padlock with two wrenches.” There are dozens of YouTube videos demonstrating the technique on all types and brands of padlocks. It takes two open-end wrenches and about three seconds. Watching will make you question ever buying another one.

MadMonk
08-03-2018, 01:01 PM
That video is more of a statement to not buy cheap padlocks. I bet you'd have a lot tougher time doing that with a good laminated padlock. Of course, no lock is perfect, with large enough leverage, you can break the shackle or hasp itself, but it may be easier to pick it, which is kinda fun. :)

jerrywall
08-03-2018, 01:30 PM
J learned how to tap locks a bit back. It's crazy easy with some brands. It's TRUE what they say. Locks keep honest people out.

RustytheBailiff
08-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Hey, can I get my padlock back?

OKCRT
08-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Master Locks look a lot different from that cheap thing on the video. I bet those open end wrenches wouldn't break a good masterlock

ctchandler
08-03-2018, 08:28 PM
J learned how to tap locks a bit back. It's crazy easy with some brands. It's TRUE what they say. Locks keep honest people out.

Jerrywall,
Not to start an argument, but "locks keep honest people honest" is the quote. You said the same thing essentially, but I had to mention it.
C. T.

jerrywall
08-03-2018, 09:35 PM
No problem. I knew I was paraphrasing.

Urbanized
08-04-2018, 08:42 AM
That video is more of a statement to not buy cheap padlocks. I bet you'd have a lot tougher time doing that with a good laminated padlock...

Master Locks look a lot different from that cheap thing on the video. I bet those open end wrenches wouldn't break a good masterlock

Sorry, bad guesses/bets on both of your parts. As I mentioned in my post there are videos of all types of padlocks easily being broken. I posted that particular video because the lock was similar to the one shown in the original post. But here is a laminated Master being broken using the same technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl8154zT67I

Or, you can always use THIS (even more simple) technique with another wrench you probably have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96TBYaBWT_Q

Honestly if you intend to secure anything with a padlock you should invest in a shrouded padlock (which can still be defeated pretty easily).

jerrywall
08-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I spent 10 minutes this morning trying out the method in the first video. I came out of it with sore arms, and an intact lock. Not saying it's not doable but it's not at easy at it seems.

OKCRT
08-04-2018, 10:11 AM
The 2 foot pipe wrench I can believe. Plus,the steel used today is not nearly as strong as the old hard steel used in the past. That cheap Bull brass lock in the video I could prob. twist that off with a pair of channel locks or vice grips.

jerrywall
08-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Either way, I'm gonna replace that bolt I cut with q new one and a new padlock. So when I sell the truck I can pay this forward.

Uptowner
08-04-2018, 11:15 AM
$100 ? … I want to be your tool salesman.

I had a GMC that had the spare stolen out from under it twice. Thieves were using cordless drills with a flathead screwdriver shank chucked up and they would just walk up to the truck, insert the screwdriver head into the tire winch and down it came. I built my own lock that went through the hole in the bumper and into the winch and was able to keep my spare after that. The manufacturers have been putting locks on from the factory for a while now.

Welllll, $100 May be an over statement, but when coupled with a cutoff blade, especially if diamond, and the 50-100ft extension cord to get out to your car. You might be looking at $100, my dewalt cost me $70 or $80 IIRC. If I had the option again I’d buy cordless. It’s an amazing tool

Anyways I’ve never had trouble with a lock or cable or pretty much anything made of metal that I wanted to cut. That doesn’t include cheap Chinese padlocks or open ended wrenches.

MadMonk
08-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Sorry, bad guesses/bets on both of your parts. As I mentioned in my post there are videos of all types of padlocks easily being broken. I posted that particular video because the lock was similar to the one shown in the original post. But here is a laminated Master being broken using the same technique:

Or, you can always use THIS (even more simple) technique with another wrench you probably have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96TBYaBWT_Q

Well, I did say "tougher time". ;)

BTW, those videos from the "the Lockpicking Lawer" are great. It's comical how easily he breaks a variety of locks with that pipe wrench.

Urbanized
08-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Well, I did say "tougher time". ;)

BTW, those videos from the "the Lockpicking Lawer" are great. It's comical how easily he breaks a variety of locks with that pipe wrench.

Here’s a good one: opening a laminated Master lock... ...simply by hitting it with... ...a laminated Master lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJPmDRkduU

Uptowner
08-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Let’s not get totally cynical here. A $15+ plus padlock is not as susceptible as a cheapo. I don’t care what brand it has on the front label. Now anything, as I said before, is no match for a side angle grinder with a diamond or carbide blade. But this is dollar store junk vs 2ft pipe wrenches.