View Full Version : The New Downtown Guy

metro
10-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. After encouraging the downtownguy to revive his site, he did however the site is now www.downtownokc.blogspot.com . It will rely on myself doing more guest articles as well as any others who would like to share. Possibly from time to time the old downtownguy will contribute as well. :woowoo:

Karried
10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Very cool - That's always the place to go to get new info on the latest happenings - thanks for keeping it going...

scotplum
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Not sure that link is setup correctly in your post.

metro
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
its the correct website but the hyperlink isnt working properly

metro
10-26-2005, 09:46 AM
The site has been updated by the original downtownguy and my posts will be added within 24 hours

Patrick
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Okay, the link works now.

What happened to his old URL? I notice someone else is using it now.

metro
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes, it got expired because no one had posted in "X" amount of days so a new one had to be created. At least the site is reviving itself, feel free to let me know what you all would like me to write about

Popsy
10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I would like for you to write about the cotton gin type facility just south of downtown. I would like to know who owns it, how much it is used and if the city has any plans for removing or relocating it. To me, it is the worst struture in OKC to be a part of downtown. It must have been there before zoning laws ever came around as I cannot see how any city fathers would want it identified with downtown. As I have stated before, I would like to see Frontier City and Whitewater moved there to provide more entertainment to the entertainment district and to enhance traffic flow into the area. I would even vote for a MAPS III that had the move as one of it's goals.

metro
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Popsy, are you talking about the grain elevator?? If so, it is currently being used for America's 2nd largest indoor climbing gym (OKC ROCKS). It is a huge success and pulls people from around the country. I know the architecture isnt the greatest but it is unique.

Popsy
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Metro,

No. Not talking about the grain elevator as it looks great now, but am talking about the other large tin buildings next to it which I assumed to be some kind of cotton processing plant. I was thinking that I had seen this area marked off for future down town expansion in a planning document I saw a few months ago.

jbrown84
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
I believe one of the posters from this site had made a diagram in which they proposed that, but I don't think it's been officially considered. There are some who say that tearing them down would be just like what was done in the 60's with Urban Renewal. In other words they say we shouldn't tear them down because one day we'll wish we didn't.

metro
10-27-2005, 07:38 AM
I am almost certain some of that land is in the long term plans once I-40 is relocated and river development is up and we have the capabilities of supporting maybe 2 or 3 major league teams such as football that would need a larger stadium. I'll check with my engineer contacts who are working on those projects

Oh, and BTW the new downtownguy site is updated yet again. I'll have another article shortly

okrednk
10-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I am almost certain some of that land is in the long term plans once I-40 is relocated and river development is up and we have the capabilities of supporting maybe 2 or 3 major league teams such as football that would need a larger stadium. I'll check with my engineer contacts who are working on those projects

Oh, and BTW the new downtownguy site is updated yet again. I'll have another article shortly

Is there any way I can get a copy of your articles I can't access downtownguy's webpage, government computers have it blocked. Have always liked them.

metro
10-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Ok, i'll post it on here:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Support Your City
Untitled Gallery, 1 Northeast Third

Well metro citizens, its time for an update to this site. While I don't have anything particular to talk about, I hope that some of you faithful readers will start to give suggestions on what you would like to read about.

The sports scene is burgeoning in OKC and downtown is alive with new energy once again. The Blazers made their season debut in their newly updated uniforms on Friday night with a decent crowd. On Sunday, the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets debuted their first appearance with the pre-season game against the Denver Nuggets. Although the team didn't manage to pull off their comeback late in the 4th quarter, this was definitely a major league experience. If you would of told me 2 months ago I would be sitting next to J.D. Runnels at an Oklahoma City NBA game most of us would think you were crazy. For those of you who caught the halftime show, the inflatable hornet Hugo was one of the most insane performances I have ever seen. I had to rub my eyes a few times on that one. For those of you who missed it, I suppose you should of stayed in your seat or need to attend another game! I was amazed of both the service of the staff as well as how all or nearly all of the courtside seats were sold. This goes to prove yet again how both the general public and national media will be proved wrong about the capabilities of this great city as well as the scope of greater income levels than people realize.

If your looking for a hip place to be seen on Hallows Eve, then cruise on over to Untitled [Artspace] in Deep Deuce for the 2nd annual PLAY DEAD masquerade ball and costume contest.

Since I'm having a writer's block, I CHALLENGE each of you to do something that does not get enough praise. A lot of us are active enthusiasts on both this site and OKCTalk.com but I'm guessing we could all be a little more active outside the cyber world. I challenge you to get involved politically,civically, culturally, and socially. A lot of us seem to always talk about change and what could be or what should be but my guess is that 80% of those are not involved with a political or civic organization. I encourage each of you to spend a little time out of your busy schedules and get involved with another organization, especially those of you who claim to have political aspirations. I'll even start you off by giving a few examples of organizations you can contact: Allied Arts, Arts Council of OKC, Alliance of Emerging Professionals, Chamber of Commerce, Habitat for Humanity, Leadership OKC, Prosperity Project, Rotary Club, and United Way, or start a group petitioning for reform with organizations such as Urban Renewal (OCURA).

My hope is that we will put our constructive criticisms and our knowledge where our mouth is and that we will only continue to build on the greatness this city is achieving and further progress the quality of life in OKC.

Regards,

Steven

# posted by The Downtown Guy @ 8:55 PM 0 comments
Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Status Check
Four new hotels:
Skirvin Hilton, Colcord Hotel, Bricktown Residence Inn, Bricktown Hampton Inn

The Hill, OKC Town Center, Deep Deuce expansion, Park Harvey Building, Lower Bricktown. Also probable, but not certain: Legacy Summit at Arts Central, Block Four (Grant Humphreys)

New shops: Lit clothing, Boone's General Store...

Will a grocery store be next?

Downtown's revival isn't going unnoticed. Some major national television attention is coming to downtown.

# posted by The Downtown Guy @ 6:13 PM 0 comments
Thursday, October 20, 2005

okrednk
10-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks Metro, its much appreciated.

metro
10-28-2005, 09:28 AM
No problem, I have sent more articles to downtownguy, I'm waiting for him to post them, I or someone will post them in this thread for you when they are up.

okrednk
10-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks again Metro.

Doug Loudenback
10-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks again Metro.

Yes, and best of luck! Pretty big shoes to fill but I'm sure that you're up to the task! It will be better, though, if/when the prior history can be retrieved into the blog, if that's possible.

downtownguy
10-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Doug, I'm sorry but that site got deleted. Without getting into detail, it was for the best anyway. The old material can still be found through Google, and I plan to pull some of it onto the new site. Call it "oldies but goodies."
If you want a good laugh, check out the old site. Someone else got hold of it, and they have a very different vision.

I won't be able to recreate what we had before. But all you heard enough from me anyway. I'm happy to see Metro taking over as lead writer (I'm still providing technical support, posting the articles, and upgrades as time allows).
- The Downtown Guy

metro
10-31-2005, 08:12 AM
For those of you who cannot go to the link:

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Shape UP OKC
In staying with the current campaign for downtown OKC, I couldn't think of a better title. Fitness Together has leased 1,536 sq. ft at 119 N. Robinson Ave suite 200 at the Robinson Renaissance bldg. At Fitness Together, our goal is to provide our clients with quality, private, one on one, personal fitness training. Our philosophy of "1 Client - 1 Trainer - 1 Goal" says it all. Our clients reap the benefits of our unique training programs as we help them achieve all their fitness goals in our private training suites.
On Nov. 5th, Integris Health will host its' first annual Asian health fair at the Gold Dome 1112 NW 23rd. This event is free and open to the public. Free health screenings for Asians, cholesterol, blood pressure, and glucose checks as well. health lectures and an "ask the doctor booth". Physicians are bilingual.
Things are also shaping up at the Oklahoma River with beautifcation efforts well under way and some will be implemented shortly. The Chesapeake boathouse is almost complete as well giving the rowing community much to rejoice about! If you haven't already, stop by the river for a walk, bike, skating or just plain relaxing outing !!
Regards,
Steven N.

# posted by The Downtown Guy @ 9:58 AM 0 comments
Saturday, October 29, 2005

Downtown Guy's November Magazine
The Downtown Guy’s November posting:

There’s been plenty of developments being announced recently in the news, from a 10-story Hampton Inn along Sheridan in Bricktown to construction starting on a Residence Inn along Reno Avenue in Lower Bricktown.

More hotels are certain. More housing is certain.

What’s going to be most interesting to watch is what will happen in response to the NBA coming to town. Will more restaurants and clubs pop up south of the arena? The area has potential – at least one building looks like it somehow got separated from Bricktown. But the area is also full of transient activity and not very inviting to the public. And will people take a risk on the area before we know if we’re going to have an NBA team for more than a year?

A great special section was in yesterday's Daily Oklahoman, giving us everything we want to know about the Native American Cultural Center. As the river and downtown converge, the possibilities are astonishing.

I know a lot of you were unhappy about the demise of the old site. It had to happen. But I can’t help but laugh at the idea that a couple of people visiting the site with intentions to cause me grief are now reading what appears to be a weight-lifter’s diary.

Some participants in the old blog, like Doug, lament that the old archives are gone.
But they’re not totally lost. I’ll retrieve the best of them and re-post them onto this site.

So what can you expect from this site? Hopefully you’ll continue to get insight into what’s going on downtown. But your tour guide will now be Steven (Metro), and if he’s still out there, hopefully Old Downtown Guy and Doug will join in as well.

As for me (and no, I’m not also the Old Downtown Guy, as one poster on the old site suggested), I’ll provide a monthly posting like this one.

I’m thrilled the discussion goes on without me. Enjoy Metro’s posts.

- The Downtown Guy

okrednk
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Doug, I'm sorry but that site got deleted. Without getting into detail, it was for the best anyway. The old material can still be found through Google, and I plan to pull some of it onto the new site. Call it "oldies but goodies."
If you want a good laugh, check out the old site. Someone else got hold of it, and they have a very different vision.

I won't be able to recreate what we had before. But all you heard enough from me anyway. I'm happy to see Metro taking over as lead writer (I'm still providing technical support, posting the articles, and upgrades as time allows).
- The Downtown Guy

I would welcome your comments, who cares what others think. Its only your opinion, and last time I checked everyone is entitled to one.

writerranger
11-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Downtown Guy, Did you know that with Blogspot blogs you can have writers email their posts to a secret email address (that you select) and it is posted immediately? It even supports html, not by using code, but by composing the post in an html email program and just mailing it to the secret address. It could be worth looking into with your situation. I'm with the others in that I hope some of your old posts can be found and put on the new blog; too much good material to not be in there somewhere.

metro
11-03-2005, 09:14 AM
not sure if it has been posted to the downtownokc site yet but here you go...
EAT UP

This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday immerse yourself in cultural diversity at the Lebanese Food Festival. The event will take place at St. Elijah Orthodox Christian Church at 150th and North May Ave. Friday and Saturday the hours are 10am to 8pm and Sunday for lunch only from 11am-1:30pm. In addition to the great food, there will be guided tours, a culinary cupboard and bake sale, homemade goods, specialty booths, cultural events, and live entertainment. For questions you can contact them at 227-8070.

metro
11-21-2005, 09:22 AM
For those of you who missed my new article on downtownokc site or cannot view do to work restrictions , i've posted it here again as promised

Fruition

Photo from www.dougloudenback.com, the best site to view historic images of downtown Oklahoma City.

Just a brief follow up from some of my recent observations. I will hopefully put some more meaningful posts up soon.
125 Park Place (www.125parkokc.com) is quickly wrapping up and looking sharp. For those of you who are not familiar with this project, it will be the first "for sale" office building downtown in which you can purchase an entire floor. The building was completely gutted and refurbished and new windows and signage were installed. Additionally, a new outdoor "underground stairwell" leads to the basement where plans have it for a "Cheers" style bar to follow shortly.
The Skirvin is well under way. Underground, the "Underground" or Conncourse has finally passed its initiative for a tax increment district and improvements should be underway in the early part of next year. In Automobile Alley, bad news in that the anticipated and announced Oyster Bar will not be locating a new restaurant there but will yet instead stick with its original digs only a floor lower. It will be relocating to the basement of the upcoming "Colcord Hotel", the luxury boutique hotel currently under renovation.
The Residence Inn in Bricktown has broken ground and ground work is well underway. Additionally, preliminary approval has been made for the Hampton Inn. "Bricktown Square" or the entire block at Sheridan and Oklahoma Ave. were auctioned off yesterday to a Midwest City developer for a stunning $10.6 million. Lit Fashion has opened its doors in nearby Deep Deuce with other project's well underway in Deep Deuce. I invite you to check out the private residence going up at 6th and Oklahoma. This goes to prove you can build and own a modern, urban private residence downtown for under $200K.
I hope this will wet your appetite for future updates and yet un-announced projects. Sorry for the delay, please know I have been busy at work and in my off time devoting it to our great city through non-profit and civic organizations working to improve our quality of life and will be sharing some unannounced projects I have been informed of our am working on for this great city of ours. Stay Tuned !!

- Steve N. (Metro)

metro
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Downtownguy posted my new article for the site. Here you go just in case you don't have access to it.

MidTown

As many of you know, MidTown is well under way with its resurgence. The largest project to date is the $220 overhaul and expansion of the state's oldest and largest hospital, St. Anthony's. Just to the east of St. Anthony Hospital is the Plaza Court, built in 1926. The Plaza Court building is nearing completion of its renovation and should be drawing its first tenants shortly. Rumor has it several contracts have already been signed with more under negotiations. This triangular building is at the five-way intersection of NW 10, Walker and Classen Drive. Additionally the roundabout at this intersection has been completed along with new landscaping and period lighting all the way down NW 10th and at the roundabout. Traffic roundabouts are common in Europe and are catching on in the United States.

The historic Kaiser building across the street has reopened with the long anticipated Grateful Bean Cafe again. The Spanish building across the street houses Cafe Do' Brasil, a Brazilian restaurant as well as law offices. Also adjacent is another building (which name skips me) now housing architectural offices (Studio Architecture).

Housing projects are spurring up all over MidTown along with all sorts of restaurants and mixed-use developments. Recently, Greg Banta, of Banta Companies has purchased 11 buildings in the MidTown area most of which will be turned into mostly housing (condo's primarily) and mixed-use development. Several of these projects are underway. Additionally, he also purchased the old Brass Lantern Inn and has already demolished it making way for a new office building.

Let us not forget all the improvements being made in the northern part of MidTown closer to 23rd and Classen. Renovations are well underway on the luxury condo and mixed-use tower, The Classen (www.theclassen.com). Move-ins should be starting in early February. Additionally the recently re-opened Gold Dome keeps adding tenants and cultural events monthly. Just last week, a group closed on the old Tower Theater (aka Tower Records) building on NW 23rd near Paseo. We can only hope a sweet project will be planned for this!

These are only a few of many other announced, on-going, and unannounced projects in store for MidTown! Stay tuned for more updates soon!

Regards,

Steven N. (Metro)

BDP
12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Man, it just kills me to look at those early lower bricktown renderings. Maybe one day someone will come in with a plan for the east side and do something more on par with what was originally planned for lower bricktown.

okrednk
12-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks Metro.

metro
01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
All,

I know it has been much anticipated so I have provided you with some much demanded updated pictures of the downtown construction. These were too big of files for me to post in the individual threads they correlate with so I posted them in my gallery. Here is the link:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/204/cat/500

If anyone can compress the file size, please do so and post them with their respective threads. I hope you enjoy and I will post them soon on the blogsite (www.downtownokc.blogspot.com) and announce more unannounced projects there and here on OKC Talk. Again, you hear it first with metro

metro
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
For all you faithful readers of the blogsite, I have sent my new article to be posted. Hopefully it will be posted sometime today. I apologize in the delay for updates due to my dilegence at work these last few weeks. I hope to return to providing more updates and pictures frequently. New pics should be posted in the next day or two.

www.downtownokc.blogspot.com

metro
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
For all you faithful readers of the blogsite, I have sent my new article to be posted. Hopefully it will be posted sometime today. I apologize in the delay for updates due to my dilegence at work these last few weeks. I hope to return to providing more updates and pictures frequently. New pics should be posted in the next day or two.

www.downtownokc.blogspot.com

metro
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Here you go again for all you who can't go directly to the blog because of work restrictions:

Cultural Diversity in OKC
I first wanted to apologize to all of you faithful readers for the delay in my posting. I work for a major film studio in the metro and we just released a film so all of my efforts and resources have been tied up.

I wanted to share some insight into the burgeoning cultural scene in Oklahoma. In fact, cultural divesity has been prevalent in the metro pretty much since the land run. Ignorance, and challenging ourselves to educate and expose ourselves to the diversity Oklahoma City has to offer, instead, has been our major setback to achieving even greater things.

For all those naysayers, this past weekend was a prime example of something new to get out and do. The Vietnamese-American Community of Oklahoma City had a "Tet" (lunar new years) festival over the weekend with many different events that ended with some dragon dancers in the heart of the Asian District. In fact, I even noticed an Israeli church in the heart of the Asian District. This weekend also concluded a week long's celebration of the Mariachi festival. The festival celebrated Hispanic culture and Mariachi music at venues throughout downtown OKC. There was also an Irish Arts Winterfest celebrating of course, Irish traditions. There was also a Lebanese festival on Sunday. And just a few days prior to these events was the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. parade downtown as well.

So folks, no more complaining or saying OKC has nothing new to do. In fact, our cultural scene rivals many cities larger than us. I challenge you to go out and explore a new part of the city, or a part that you haven't been to in years, its time for all our citizens to realize OKC is a great place to be!!

On another note, I took a new round of pictures that I will try to post in the next few days.

Sincerely,

Steven Newlon

Jack
02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I must say I miss the former downtownguy. Steven, you do a good job, but I miss the inside information downtownguy used to offer.

metro
02-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Jack, thank you! I too miss the old downtownguy and I apologize I have not posted as much inside info as I used to. I am trying to work on that. I do however think you will find alot of the information I post on this site is inside information that has not been discussed elsewhere.

writerranger
02-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Metro,

Were you the original "New Downtown Guy" and just couldn't be identified at the time?

metro
02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
yep, although the original downtownguy, not to be confused with olddowntownguy, helped me get the blog started by posting my writings, etc

The Old Downtown Guy
02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Writeranger, There seems to be a lot of confusion about which Guy is on first.

If I remember, The Downtown Guy (true identity unknown), let's just call him Clark Kent and credit Doug Loudenbeck for the name; Clark started "The Downtown Guy Blog" and posted tons of info about Downtown and Bricktown as it redeveloped. He had a knack of posting good photos and throwing out issues that generated lots of discussion and hits. Several "Guys" posted on the blog. Me, The Old Downtown Guy, Some Guy and there may have been one or two other Guys among the guys that posted regularly.

about six months ago, Clark Kent hit a wall and flamed out amidst much angst and gnashing of teeth. The blog drifted for a while and then closed down due to technical problems. Prior to the shutdown, some suggested that The Old Downtown Guy was just another name used by Clark; not true. Clark then revived a scaled back version of the original blog at http://downtownokc.blogspot.com/ and Metro agreed to take the primary responsibility to post through e-mail to Clark at thedowntownguy@gmail.com, but Clark is still The Downtown Guy not Metro who is Steven Nowlen, who sometimes refers to himself as The New Downtown Guy but always posts as Metro.

So actually, there is no "New Downtown Guy".

writerranger
02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Old Downtown Guy, Thanks for the clarification. Abbott & Costello would be proud! :)

metro
02-02-2006, 03:49 PM
yeah, its the who's on first dilemma, I'm NOT the newdowntownguy more like the new new downtownguy, basically just do alot of the articles on the newdowntownguy's site due to the breakdown of the old site. hence why I usually put my real name or alias "metro"

downtownguy
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Old Downtown Guy and Metro are correct in what they are saying. My contributions to the current site are very limited; it's Metro's show now. I don't think some of you would like to hear what I've got to say these days anyway. I used to visit this site and leave inspired. Now, most days, I am more likely to end up depressed.
I am very happy that Metro has taken over the blog, and is doing such a great job at it.
Old Downtown Guy, my invitation is still extended to you to post as well. I laugh at those who confuse us, just thinking that someone might think that you are a fan of Rick Dowell's projects.
By the way; Metro has new posts waiting to go up on the blog, but we're having some technical difficulties with blogger. My fault, not his.
- THE DOWNTOWN GUY

Patrick
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Why the depression, downtownguy?

Jack
02-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I know who downtownguy is, but I'm not telling. Here's my only hint: he's in an office somewhere downtown.

The Old Downtown Guy
02-03-2006, 05:50 AM
I know who downtownguy is, but I'm not telling. Here's my only hint: he's in an office somewhere downtown.

Thank you so much Jack. Your posts are always so interesting and insightful

Jack
02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks! I try hard to provide great up to date information.

downtownguy
02-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm conflicted on how to answer this, Patrick. Let me think this one through before answering.