View Full Version : AT&T 5g coming to Oklahoma City

crimsoncrazy
07-20-2018, 01:35 PM
http://https://www.bloomberg.com/technology (http:www.bloomberg.com/technology)

AT&T Inc. will roll out 5G service to three additional U.S. cities, a sign that the industrywide push to adopt the speedier standard is finally moving from marketing announcements to reality.

Oklahoma City and two North Carolina cities -- Charlotte and Raleigh -- will be getting the mobile service later this year, AT&T said on Friday. They join Atlanta, Dallas, and Waco, Texas, which were already announced.

rtz
07-20-2018, 02:43 PM
That's huge news. I wonder how OKC got picked?

HangryHippo
07-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Awesome news!! I wonder if this has to do with Stephenson being from Moore?

stile99
07-20-2018, 03:13 PM
If this means OKC and only OKC, meh.

If this means OKC metro area, this pleases me. I have no love for AT&T, but if it's really 5G and they don't eff it up (and they actually offer it to my area, instead of claiming they do but don't) then I'm switching from Cox so fast something something simile something metaphor.

Bellaboo
07-20-2018, 03:40 PM
That's huge news. I wonder how OKC got picked?

I'd guess because Randy Stephenson, the CEO of ATT is from Moore ??? Just a guess.

pw405
07-20-2018, 04:09 PM
If this means OKC and only OKC, meh.

If this means OKC metro area, this pleases me. I have no love for AT&T, but if it's really 5G and they don't eff it up (and they actually offer it to my area, instead of claiming they do but don't) then I'm switching from Cox so fast something something simile something metaphor.

Cox doesn't offer cell phone service do they?

stile99
07-21-2018, 04:25 AM
Cox doesn't offer cell phone service do they?

Thinking 5G is only cell phones is a common mistake that will quickly fall by the wayside as it becomes more common.

d-usa
07-21-2018, 05:01 PM
With Google Fiber still mulling wireless options, I wonder if our status as a (past) expansion city might be a factor in our selection.

pw405
07-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Thinking 5G is only cell phones is a common mistake that will quickly fall by the wayside as it becomes more common.

I guess I don't understand all the ballyhooing over 5g.

I'm extremely familiar remote data capture technologies, machine learning, remote industrial machinery control, PID loops, etc., etc. At my job (and previous jobs), we've been capturing and sending data from/to remote locations via many methods (GPRS modems, radio towers, satellites) for a long time. The systems I use at work have sensors on over 100,000 different assets. I suppose that I don't see faster mobile internet being the catalyst for all the "smart" city, "smart" home, "smart" cars that is largely possible with the bandwidth and latency available with 4G LTE. It seems all the buzz about 5g is conflating many different technologies (IOT, "IIOT", MQT, etc.) that have been in use for a long time.

I like to equate it to when I upgraded my internet from 150 mbps to 1Gbps. The extra speed and lower ping are great, but it honestly has made 0 difference in my overall internet experience. Perhaps I saved a few minutes while downloading games? I could have multiple Twitch/Mixer streams running now I suppose. It has hardly been a game changer in any way.

Am I missing something?

Sorry to derail thread - I am very excited OKC is going to be one of the early 5G markets though!

scottk
07-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Am I missing something?

Sorry to derail thread - I am very excited OKC is going to be one of the early 5G markets though!

I guess if 5G was reliable enough and could provide overall more bandwidth to all devices connected in the cell towers footprint (faster/larger pipeline) and ATT would offer an all inclusive plan where your home internet and cell service was on the same data plan.

In other words instead of a $100 monthly cell bill with 4G LTE, and a $80-100 Internet bill, maybe 5G would allow an individual a complete service to stream Netflix/Prime Video etc, while also have it as a cell provider.

Hopefully data plans under 5G would expand from the current 20-25GB before throttle speeds and data caps would be more comparable to a home internet provider in the 1TB a month range?

Mr. Blue Sky
07-21-2018, 10:21 PM
I guess if 5G was reliable enough and could provide overall more bandwidth to all devices connected in the cell towers footprint (faster/larger pipeline) and ATT would offer an all inclusive plan where your home internet and cell service was on the same data plan.

In other words instead of a $100 monthly cell bill with 4G LTE, and a $80-100 Internet bill, maybe 5G would allow an individual a complete service to stream Netflix/Prime Video etc, while also have it as a cell provider.

Hopefully data plans under 5G would expand from the current 20-25GB before throttle speeds and data caps would be more comparable to a home internet provider in the 1TB a month range?

This is correct. It will open up a whole new world where a high-speed web connection is just there. We'll fondly remember big cable boxes, wiring, wiring, and more wiring. This will be huge. Those speeds will enable a small hotspot to power your home, cell phones while on the go, and things will never be the same again. For better or worse.

SSEiYah
07-21-2018, 11:36 PM
I wish they would fix their 4G network first. It can be very slow in the western parts of Edmond and far NW parts of OKC even with a good signal. Sure calls and texts still work but the internet speed is slow intermittently.

Dustin
07-21-2018, 11:58 PM
Can our current phones even support 5g?

stile99
07-22-2018, 06:10 AM

I'm extremely familiar remote data capture technologies, machine learning, remote industrial machinery control, PID loops, etc., etc. At my job (and previous jobs), we've been capturing and sending data from/to remote locations via many methods (GPRS modems, radio towers, satellites) for a long time. The systems I use at work have sensors on over 100,000 different assets. I suppose that I don't see faster mobile internet being the catalyst for all the "smart" city, "smart" home, "smart" cars that is largely possible with the bandwidth and latency available with 4G LTE. It seems all the buzz about 5g is conflating many different technologies (IOT, "IIOT", MQT, etc.) that have been in use for a long time.

I like to equate it to when I upgraded my internet from 150 mbps to 1Gbps. The extra speed and lower ping are great, but it honestly has made 0 difference in my overall internet experience. Perhaps I saved a few minutes while downloading games? I could have multiple Twitch/Mixer streams running now I suppose. It has hardly been a game changer in any way.

Am I missing something?

"640K should be enough for anyone".

stile99
07-22-2018, 06:18 AM

The article addresses that, but it looks like the link is broken.

Again, the focus is not on phones. (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-20/at-t-adds-three-more-u-s-cities-to-5g-plans-as-it-races-verizon)

whorton
08-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Short answer, no, 5G will require hardware upgrade to new phones. Good reason to wait a bit before purchasing that new iPhone.

More info:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5g-release-date,review-5063.html

BridgeBurner
08-09-2018, 02:08 PM
I wish I better understood what it actually is, but sounds cool!
Any idea on a time frame?

pw405
08-09-2018, 09:06 PM
I wish I better understood what it actually is, but sounds cool!
Any idea on a time frame?

5G is mobile internet that is much faster than the mobile internet of today.

BridgeBurner
09-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Found an article with the actual numbers (granted for Verizon not AT&T) but it says the theoretical max download speed is 10GBps on 5G compared to 100MBps on 4G LTE (one hundred times faster). Maximum latency (delay) is also 1/5th that of 4G LTE (4 milliseconds vs 20 milliseconds).
https://www.howtogeek.com/366259/how-5g-could-transform-your-home-internet-connection/