View Full Version : Sacramento

dankrutka
07-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Heading to Sacramento on a trip right now and looking for any suggestions from anyone whose traveled/lived there. I added it as a stop because I love exploring mid-sized cities that aren’t traditional tourist destinations. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

okatty
07-13-2018, 12:39 PM
I traveled through there on business a few years ago. There are some cool areas with very old Victorian houses, old cobbled streets, etc. Its an area sort of near the Capitol and their historical part of town. Sorry I can’t remember any great specifics but it is actually a cool place.

I think that is the city the recent movie Lady Bird was set in by the way.

dankrutka
07-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks! That’s a helpful start!

foodiefan
07-13-2018, 05:08 PM
. . . I believe that it's called Sacramento Old Town. . .a neat place!!

dankrutka
07-13-2018, 09:01 PM
. . . I believe that it's called Sacramento Old Town. . .a neat place!!

Yep, that’s it. It’s got a little bit of the feel of Fort Worth’s Stockyards with New Orleans’ architecture. It’s a neat area near some other vibrant downtown areas.

SSEiYah
07-14-2018, 03:29 AM
If you are into old cars check out their automotive museum, I enjoyed it, they have some great cars on display. They also have a railroad museum up the street but I didn't go there, supposed to be one of the best in the country.

Getting around Sacramento is also far easier than the Bay Area or So-Cal. There is still some traffic but its nothing compared to other parts of CA.

dankrutka
07-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Thanks! We’re half way through our trip here and loving it. It’s a very walkable city with great sidewalks, a robust tree canopy, and a streetcar that’s been around since before it became popular. More than anything, it’s very diverse and integrated, which I appreciate so much. You see such diversity among patrons at almost every establishment, which is not the norm in so many cities — including OKC.