View Full Version : Camcorder suggestions...

SoonerDave
07-10-2018, 11:05 AM
I'm looking for suggestions on a basic HD camcorder suitable for taking vacation videos. To now, I've used this dandy but old Aiptek 1080p camera, but the batteries are kaput (won't take a charge) and replacements are in the $40 range. A couple of those is a good chunk of the cost of a nice, new camera.

So, I'm looking for 1080p capability, convenience being a priority, preferably at the lower end of a $200-$300 price range. I'm not too interested in the rally weird nonames for $30 I see on Amazon, but.Im not going to drop $500, either. Looking for something beyond using my phone, and perhaps assemble later as a vacation video or something similar. Id like image stabilization as my most important feature, and then *maybe* a mic shoe. I've seen the Canon Vixia line, R700 and R800, with the latter seemingly newer but with fewer features. WiFi would be nice but not critical. Prefer SD cards over microSD so I can use adapters for either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

okatty
07-10-2018, 11:25 AM
SoonerDave - I think the canon, sony or panasonic in that price range would be good options. Examples - Canon VIXIA HF R700 Sony HDRCX405 Panasonic HC-V180K

The last camcorder I used was a Panasonic and it was excellent but was not the model i noted above so cannot comment specifically on it.

I use the video from a Sony Rx100ii (which probably can be had for way under what I paid when it came out as there are new versions, but i suspect still over the $300 you are seeking). However it takes fantastic stills and great video as well, so you might think about that type option as well.

Good luck.

shawnw
07-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Something I've been considering as well. But once in that 200-300 price range, thinking might as well just get an actual gopro (not one of the cheap clones) for the multiple uses. 720p video is sufficient for most things I would need.

I've had decent luck with refurbs at Groupon, most recently with a chromebook, so considering this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-gopro-hero4-silver-edition-action-camcorder-refurbished

BBatesokc
07-10-2018, 01:06 PM
May not be what you're lookin for at all -- but, in that price range and for vacations, I'd highly recommend the Canon PowerShot SX530 (Sam's Club $249) (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ps-sx530-bundle-16mp-50x/prod17600051.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1).

You get an excellent camera with unsurpassed real zoom and a very capable video recorder with that more cinematic feel to the videos.

I use this a lot in the field when I don't want to carry a DSLR with lots of lenses.

Problem with a dedicated camcorder is that their still image capabilities are really bad. This is a good mix of both worlds.

I own several Canon camcorders, All-in-ones and DSLR and some of them have a Video SnapShot feature - which I LOVE for vacations, parties or family time. Each time you take a photo, it also takes up to 8-seconds of video. You can then compile all of those video clips into a cool overview of your vacations, event, etc.

Just a thought.

SoonerDave
07-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Thanks, all. BBates, your suggestions in particular were on-point because I'll be toting a DSLR along the way as well - that's why that old Aiptek was so good - it wasn't fancy at all, but it was the size of a deck of playing cards and you could literally put it in your pocket. The only frustration was battery life - even with a bigger backup battery, and both charged, you'd be limited to early-morning events because they just ran out so quickly. Aiptek is still around, but they're no longer in the camera business at all. Alas.

So, anyway, the point of all that is that I started looking long and hard at Canon because of their optics even though I'm a Nikon DSLR guy, and while it seemed a bit counterintuitive, I think I've about settled on a slightly *older* Vixia - the R72 - that has more features than its successor, the R82. I can pick up a new one off Amazon for $219, then snag an extra battery for it. We'll see. Anyone else that wants to chime in, feel free!! I haven't hit the "buy" button yet....

shawnw
07-11-2018, 08:25 AM
I had three straight canon point and shoots that were fantastic and lasted me years each and many thousands of photos, then I went to a samsung, which is "fine", but hardly as good and I barely use it.

SSEiYah
07-14-2018, 02:57 AM
$200 to $300 range..I've owned many higher end camcorders and cameras over the years, the one that I liked the best for price/value was the Canon Vixia HF G10, it is a 2011 or so model but it still shoots in 1080P and has decent low light capability. I sold mine over a year ago for $400, looks like they are in the $300 range now.

An older DSLR such as a Canon T4i or T5i with a STM lens will shoot great video as well in 1080P.

My current camcorder is a 2014 Sony CX900, fantastic image quality in low light however they are probably still in the $600 range used, so probably outside your budget but it is a great camcorder for 1080P.

If buying a used dslr take a photo of a very bright piece of white paper and inspect the image carefully for dead pixels and then take a photo with the lens covered to check for any hot pixels (not black).

As far as "new" stuff, well, many new cameras shoot pretty good video as well. I dont have any experience with anything made in the last 3 years so I cant give you a recommendation. The flagship Samsung/Apple phones from 2018/2019 shoot pretty amazing video quality. Smartphones suffer in low light however where a traditional camcorder or a dslr will do better. I have a S8 and a Note 8 and both shoot great video as long as the lighting is right. I've seen great video come out of the Iphone 8 and Iphone 10 as well. You just dont have zoom with a smartphone.

SoonerDave
07-14-2018, 03:42 AM
After going back and forth like a ping pong ball, I finally dropped the hammer on a certified refurbished Canon Vixia R700 for $199. With some Amazon gift cards, it only cost me about $159. I also picked up a couple of extra battery/charger packs.

I was going a little crazy reading reviews about various assessments of image quality, then saw an actual clip from an R700 and found it to be more than adequate for my purposes - and, in fact, seemed to have *more* features than it's successor, the R800. Like a dummy, I didn't hit the right shipping button when I placed the order, so it won't get here until Sunday rather than Saturday (when I'd hoped to play with it a bit), but at least it's on the way ��

SSEiYah
07-14-2018, 04:03 AM
Sounds like a solid choice. I shot hundreds of videos on my old Canon HF G10 and it always did a good job. My Canon T4i has 16,000+ clicks on it and still works like new after 6 years of fairly heavy personal/commercial use. Its also been dropped twice, broke a flash and a lens but the body keeps going.