View Full Version : James Cooper for City Council (Ward 2)

catch22
06-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Just saw on Twitter that James Cooper is running for OKC Council Ward 2.

Looks like his main platform is infrastructure, education, and transit.

https://twitter.com/williamcrum/status/1012351909859078144?s=21

www.jamesforokc.com

Pete
06-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Yes, Ed Shadid has decided not to seek reelection and Cooper opposed him in 2014.

I believe Michael Dover -- who currently serves on the MAPS 3 Board -- has already filed for Ward 2 as well.

Ward 2 happens to be my district.

king183
06-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Pete, you should run.

Cooper did not run an impressive campaign last time. I don't know anything about Dover, but I think you would be a really good asset on the city council.

Pete
06-28-2018, 11:58 AM
^

Thanks.

Still considering it but leaning against it, primarily due to pending future plans that will require every single bit of my time and energy.

Urban Pioneer
06-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Cooper did not run an impressive campaign last time.

Cooper didn’t have the money for an impressive campaign. He announced way too late and had to contend with much of the financial support going to Pastor Jemison who had significant ties to the community.

king183
06-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Cooper didn’t have the money for an impressive campaign. He announced way too late and had to contend with much of the financial support going to Pastor Jemison who had significant ties to the community.

Respectfully, money is not a good excuse. It's the bad candidate's excuse for being outworked. The main reason people think it takes a ton of money to run for office and win is because campaign consultants have convinced people it's necessary. I can point to dozens of examples where the candidate who had substantially less money won--and often won in a landslide--because they outworked their opponent at the doors (and they were a compelling candidate).

Maybe Cooper learned some lessons from his first experience and he'll run a better campaign. I've run several campaigns where the candidate was substantially better after getting trounced in their first run.

soonerguru
06-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Respectfully, money is not a good excuse. It's the bad candidate's excuse for being outworked. The main reason people think it takes a ton of money to run for office and win is because campaign consultants have convinced people it's necessary. I can point to dozens of examples where the candidate who had substantially less money won--and often won in a landslide--because they outworked their opponent at the doors (and they were a compelling candidate).

Maybe Cooper learned some lessons from his first experience and he'll run a better campaign. I've run several campaigns where the candidate was substantially better after getting trounced in their first run.

This is a whole new ballgame and he knows where he fell short. No need to bash someone who worked his butt off and learned some lessons. Beating an incumbent is very tough, especially when you start late and have little to no name ID. Completely different scenario this time.

king183
06-28-2018, 04:44 PM
This is a whole new ballgame and he knows where he fell short. No need to bash someone who worked his butt off and learned some lessons. Beating an incumbent is very tough, especially when you start late and have little to no name ID. Completely different scenario this time.

I have absolutely no idea how you see me bashing Cooper here.

Urban Pioneer
06-28-2018, 05:30 PM
I think he objects to you characterizing him as a “bad candidate”.

king183
06-28-2018, 06:10 PM
I didn't characterize him as a bad candidate, so I'm not sure why he would object to that. The only thing I've said about Cooper is that he didn't run an impressive campaign and maybe he learned some lessons.

I did say using money as an excuse for losing is "the bad candidate's" excuse for being outworks; but to my knowledge, Cooper hasn't used that excuse.

Urbanized
06-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Urban Pioneer introduced me to Cooper at the time and I'll say that as an individual I found him to be pretty impressive and engaging in a refreshingly non-schmoozy way. He also offers some diversity that the council could use anyway, but especially considering several recent changes to its membership. That said, not my ward, and I don't know enough about Dover at this point to say one candidate would be better than the other, anyway. Just weighing in that I'm glad to hear Cooper is back in the race.

soonerguru
06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
I didn't characterize him as a bad candidate, so I'm not sure why he would object to that. The only thing I've said about Cooper is that he didn't run an impressive campaign and maybe he learned some lessons.

I did say using money as an excuse for losing is "the bad candidate's" excuse for being outworks; but to my knowledge, Cooper hasn't used that excuse.

No harm. No foul. You did use the phrase "bad candidate," so if you want to be understood, try to be more clear. That said, you have no idea how much work was put into that campaign, how many doors were knocked, how many fundraising meetings and phone calls made. So if you believe Cooper lost because he was lazy or ran a "bad campaign," as someone with inside knowledge it sounds like you are bashing.

I take your word that when you said "bad candidate" you weren't referring to James Cooper, because he is anything but that.

All that being said, he has several months to seriously campaign and a huge base of support to build on. It is a much different race. Yes, he's learned many lessons. He also has experience as a trustee on a major city board plus four years to reflect.

He will have the resources necessary to run a winning campaign and the time necessary to expand on his name ID, which he worked very hard to build during his last run.

Jeepnokc
06-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Cooper came and spoke with me several weeks ago. I was impressed with his vision and his drive. i think we need a few more members of of younger generations (under 40) on the council to help our City thrive with new ideas.

TheSteveHunt
07-25-2018, 02:02 PM
I think I like him. If we are going to do big things, like shake down Bezos to help fund our transit, he's a good guy to have on the team.

Urban Pioneer
11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000006218929/this-district-was-solid-red-why-did-it-flip.html?playlistId=1194811622221

LocoAko
11-29-2018, 06:24 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000006218929/this-district-was-solid-red-why-did-it-flip.html?playlistId=1194811622221

This is awesome. And, at the risk of getting political outside the Politics section -- more than anything else this is the type of profile of the city/advertisement that is really going to attract young people and further grow the city's Millennial population.

TheSteveHunt
11-30-2018, 09:46 AM
I remember driving Max Blumenthal around OKC 10 yrs ago, explaining how he and all other like-minded rabble rousers
and creative, forward thinking folks are wasting their time in NYC and places like that, that if they came here we could really get some things done.
Maybe that can finally start happening, and without making housing unaffordable for people as is happening in Austin and elsewhere...

Anonymous.
11-30-2018, 10:22 AM
This is awesome. And, at the risk of getting political outside the Politics section -- more than anything else this is the type of profile of the city/advertisement that is really going to attract young people and further grow the city's Millennial population.

Wow, that video was surprisingly nice. And actually showed the updates city instead of B-roll footage from 2013.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2018, 08:29 PM
They spent three to four days here filming. They even came to our RTA meeting!

poe
12-18-2018, 08:55 PM
I really enjoyed that video. Definitely makes me want to relocate and be part of the change.

Urban Pioneer
02-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Just read this in the Gazette print version. Nice seeing all of the Cooper signs in Ward 2 yards. I hope the support for him turns out.

https://m.okgazette.com/oklahoma/taking-a-seat/Content?oid=5568613

David
02-04-2019, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to vote for Cooper next week.

HOT ROD
02-04-2019, 04:38 PM
I do hope he wins, but I also wish a one or two of the girls running could be in other ward(s).

I think it's important to fill the council with the next generation AND more women/minorities. Only then can OKC really become the progressive urban city we all want.

HOT ROD
02-04-2019, 04:43 PM
I also would LOVE for the council to get a higher salary. I've stated this before, but we need to remove the 'ceremony' from these positions and pay them for the full-time work they put in (and should).

Council Member $48,000 salary (vs. $12,000 now)
Vice Mayor $60,000 salary (vs. $0 now)
Mayor $88,000 salary (vs. $24,000 now)

Total Expenditure $484,000 (vs. -a laughable- $120,000 now)

TheTravellers
02-04-2019, 08:55 PM
I also would LOVE for the council to get a higher salary. I've stated this before, but we need to remove the 'ceremony' from these positions and pay them for the full-time work they put in (and should).

Council Member $48,000 salary (vs. $12,000 now)
Vice Mayor $60,000 salary (vs. $0 now)
Mayor $88,000 salary (vs. $24,000 now)

Total Expenditure $484,000 (vs. -a laughable- $120,000 now)

Ed Shadid mentioned this exact same thing in the last council meeting - said to to put on the ballot a proposal to pay councilmembers and mayor a living wage so the people in those positions didn't have to be independently wealthy or work multiple jobs to be on the council.

TheSteveHunt
02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
It should an international scandal if joBeth loses.... especailly with the low-life Norman resident Pat McFerron helping out on Harding's campaign.

I do hope he wins, but I also wish a one or two of the girls running could be in other ward(s).

I think it's important to fill the council with the next generation AND more women/minorities. Only then can OKC really become the progressive urban city we all want.

LocoAko
02-05-2019, 08:20 AM
It should an international scandal if joBeth loses.... especailly with the low-life Norman resident Pat McFerron helping out on Harding's campaign.

Yeah, she's really great. I hope she and James are able to pull this off.

TheTravellers
02-05-2019, 03:23 PM
I'm really hoping Cooper wins (I'm voting for him), but I suspect the upcoming election will not have anybody get a majority, it'll most likely be split between Cooper and Dover in the runoff. Dover might have the edge, being an old white guy that's been in the city forever and is well-connected, but maybe this time the voters have had enough of that and are ready for a change (like they were in other recent elections here in OK).

David
02-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Remember to vote today!

Pete
02-12-2019, 08:03 PM
James won Ward 2 with a clear majority; no runoff needed.

Same with JoBeth Hamon in Ward 6.

David
02-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Fantastic. Between the two of them and Nikki Nice in ward 7 that's a pretty youthful contingent on the council.

catch22
02-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Excellent results!

While not a close friend, I have known James for several years and he is highly motivated man who is passionate about what he believes in. I am very encouraged by the results tonight.

Great day for OKC.

Mr. Blue Sky
02-12-2019, 08:51 PM
James won Ward 2 with a clear majority; no runoff needed.

Same with JoBeth Hamon in Ward 6.

This is a huge change coming to the city council !
Generational change alone is s a shock to the system.
But political progressives, too.
Cooper, Hamon, and Nice on the horseshoe - wow.

Pete
02-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Holt is under 40 as well.

Urban Pioneer
02-12-2019, 10:05 PM
Let the tidal wave of change begin. Today is truly historic. And with Couch gone, perhaps fewer obstacles to progress. So proud of James.

soonerguru
02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Let the tidal wave of change begin. Today is truly historic. And with Couch gone, perhaps fewer obstacles to progress. So proud of James.

Extremely impressive electoral performance by James. To clear 53% in a five-way race is insane. No other candidate passed 18 percent.

soonerguru
02-12-2019, 11:05 PM
OK, so who will be the swing vote on progressive issues? I see an urban block with Cooper, Nice, and Hamon, along with Mayor Holt. Who is the other vote? Stone? Greenwell? Stonecipher? The last three are fairly conservative, so it is hard to say, but I could see Greenwell coming through on transit issues. Notably, Greiner showed up to James's watch party tonight. Fairly classy move for a guy who has said he originally ran for council because he was opposed to the LGBT non-discrimination vote.

Quicker
02-13-2019, 02:10 AM
OK, so who will be the swing vote on progressive issues? I see an urban block with Cooper, Nice, and Hamon, along with Mayor Holt. Who is the other vote? Stone? Greenwell? Stonecipher? The last three are fairly conservative, so it is hard to say, but I could see Greenwell coming through on transit issues. Notably, Greiner showed up to James's watch party tonight. Fairly classy move for a guy who has said he originally ran for council because he was opposed to the LGBT non-discrimination vote.

Greenwell is very pro-transit... I’m not sure if he still is but I do know at one point he was riding his bike and taking the bus to work downtown from far south Okc...

Urban Pioneer
02-13-2019, 06:46 AM
Indulging in some post-election analysis. I worked on Cooper Campaign both times.

1. Ed Shadid didn't run.
2. Ed didn't weigh in and instead focused his energy in Ward 6 and endorsed JoBeth.
3. Cooper walked an unprecedented amount of doors and strategically identified his supporters.
4. Cooper had a strong brand and a clear message.
5. Cooper proved himself capable to voters as a Trustee on EMBARK's board.
6. Voters who might never support an openly gay, bi-racial, Progressive man had four other milquetoast candidates to choose from.

Sometimes the stars align. This was Cooper's time. He put the hard work in and ended up with the ideal set of circumstances to win outright. Historically, a five-way race has always gone to a runoff. This election is unprecedented and in all ways historic.

Ross MacLochness
02-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Greenwell is very pro-transit... I’m not sure if he still is but I do know at one point he was riding his bike and taking the bus to work downtown from far south Okc...

Wasn't greenwell on record saying he wish he wouldn't have voted for the streetcar? Or he voted yes but regretfully so?

(Edit: I was thinking of Pete White)

LakeEffect
02-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Wasn't greenwell on record saying he wish he wouldn't have voted for the streetcar? Or he voted yes but regretfully so?

Greiner, IIRC.

Pete
02-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Greiner, IIRC.

Pete White was the one most adamant on this point.

Called it the biggest regret of his long career on the council.

Ross MacLochness
02-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Pete White was the one most adamant on this point.

Called it the biggest regret of his long career on the council.

That's who I was thinking of. Thanks!

TheSteveHunt
02-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Will be interesting to see where James goes on Trickle down transit... I think he'll be good.

soonerguru
02-13-2019, 11:02 AM
All I remember is Pete White groaning and bellyaching about the streetcar but I don’t remember him voting for it. This is why I don’t miss Pete White. He would rail against something then vote for it? He was bizarre. I don’t know Stone at all but he seems reasonable.

soonerguru
02-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Every once in a blue moon Larry McAtee makes a progressive vote.

TheSteveHunt
02-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Look forward to them fighting the Chainsmokerification of OKC. We're way better than that.

Urban Pioneer
02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Did anyone see James on Flashpoint this morning?

soonerguru
02-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Did anyone see James on Flashpoint this morning?

Here's a link to the video. Both James and Councilwoman Nikki Nice are so impressive.

https://kfor.com/2019/02/17/flash-point-teams-talks-alleged-boren-misconduct-newcomers-to-okc-city-council/

TheSteveHunt
02-19-2019, 06:52 AM
No discussion on Cooper being forced to resign from his teaching position? Here is Ed's statement. Interesting to note they are now going back to the charter on things....

"It is an outrage that the Charter of OKC is forcing James Cooper to resign his teaching position at OKCPS in order to serve on the OKC Council. I'm sure that most people are not aware of the sacrifice James is making in order to serve. James knew when he decided to run, and will now make the sacrifice, but he shouldn't have to leave his kids, and forfeit a living wage, to serve the city. Not only does the City of OKC Charter essentially limit the number of people who can serve by providing a salary of only $12,000 for what is a full time job (essentially less than minimum wage) but Article 4 Section 8 states (OKC law, not state law) "No person holding office or employment under the United States Government or the State of Oklahoma, notaries public excepted, or any other State, or municipality, shall hold any office...under this City of whatever kind or nature." The only way to change this situation is with a vote of the people to change the OKC Charter which could be placed on a ballot by either a vote of the council or through initiative petition."

TheTravellers
02-19-2019, 08:38 AM
The way we pay our city councilpeople and mayor is ridiculous - Ed has said that even though he won't be around, the council needs to double (if not more) the pay of the city council and mayor to make it a living wage so the members aren't limited to the independently wealthy or those that own their own businesses, and I agree totally.

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2019, 08:40 AM
^^^^+1

I wonder how well that would go over with citizens. Hopefully they would recognize a need for this.

TheTravellers
02-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Reminder that Cooper's on Lackmeyer's chat today, started at 9:30.