View Full Version : Wheelhouse Pizza

Pete
06-21-2018, 08:00 AM
From the proprietors of Jimmy's Egg. My understanding is they plan more locations.

Opens June 27th in the old Taco Cabana space at 11109 N. May.

Full Menu (https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a4660d_f8ec71ad1438493c9e380521d726f23c.pdf)

https://www.facebook.com/wheelhousepizzakitchen/

https://newsok.com/article/5598512/new-pizza-concept-brings-together-local-restaurant-royalty

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheelhouse1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheelhouse2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheelhouse3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheelhouse4.jpg

Martin
06-21-2018, 08:10 AM
oh man... when you can't get the name of your own place right on your own plans.

catch22
06-21-2018, 10:23 AM
oh man... when you can't get the name of your own place right on your own plans.

Oh whell.

OKCRealtor
06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
If it's as cheap as Jimmy's Egg, count me in.

Pete
06-25-2018, 02:20 PM
They opened today.

Look forward to trying it.

Thomas Vu
06-25-2018, 03:09 PM
I look forward to giving this a go myself. Looking at the menu, looks like a competitor to hideaway? Or maybe more like a localized version of empire?

jennydahl
07-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Went Friday with the hubby... it's good. Not 'OMG-it's-the-ONLY-pizza-I'll-ever-eat' good, but good. We were drawn in by the fried pepperoni pizza touted on their menu - hoping for the return of our favorite pizza from the old Nomad; but - alas - it wasn't. The dough is very... chewy. Reminded hubby of the dough at the old Pizza Inn on Wilshire and May. We bought 'by the slice', so it had been sitting for ? how long? Who knows. Maybe that's why it was chewy and not 'fried pepperoni' crispy. We'd go again... but I like Marco's and Caffe' Pranzo's pizzas better.

Thomas Vu
07-01-2018, 06:34 PM
I stopped by today

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZJNFpZTENikWWyc99

pictured is buffalo wings, their "speedo guido" pizza, a slice of pepperoni pizza, a drink menu, and the general atmosphere.

The wings aren't fried, if that matters to you. Poor reading comprehension resulted in me being caught by surprise with the peppers and blue cheese. My slice of pizza was definitely chewy. Reminds me of pizza hut without the grease. Not particularly crispy. The dough on my whole pizza was definitely thinner and crispier. Having said that, I think it's good for the area. Due to my location I'll be choosing hideaway, and even then due to my work proximity I'll be choosing Empire/Halls over that.

If you're into crispy pepperoni, may I suggest Sussy's? Their pepperoni is super fried and super crispy, pictured here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fwKvxQK1dw3cokHm6

Dustin
07-01-2018, 08:24 PM
I went today too! I thought my slice was really good. I got the bbq okie one. My crust was perfectly crispy, but lacked flavor. It didn't taste seasoned, but the toppings were great. The salad I got was too much. It had tons of pepperoni and pepperocinis which was really overpowering. They just opened Monday so hopefully things can get fixed fairly quickly. I will be back.

Thomas Vu
07-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Confirmed toppings were great, and lack of flavor in crust. I forgot I had their "Rooster" dipping sauce which I believe is a spicy ranch.

jennydahl
07-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Thank you, Thomas! I've been searching for the fried pepperoni since Nomad closed!

Thomas Vu
07-04-2018, 04:34 PM
I've since nearly burned my leftover pizza and will be asking for well done pizza when I come back here.

Rover
07-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Thank you, Thomas! I've been searching for the fried pepperoni since Nomad closed!
Sussys is a very faithful rendition to the Nomad fleetwood.

jedicurt
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Confirmed toppings were great, and lack of flavor in crust. I forgot I had their "Rooster" dipping sauce which I believe is a spicy ranch.

my thoughts exactly as well... topping were great. crust lacked any real flavor.

at there today at lunch. was there from 11:30 till about 12:40... and at most there were 20 people in the place. I love the setup, and the patio will be awesome this fall... but I really hope business picks up for them

ditm4567
11-30-2018, 07:32 AM
It appears this restaurant has closed already.....

Pete
11-30-2018, 08:01 AM
It appears this restaurant has closed already.....

Don't think so... Just called them and they said they are open.

HangryHippo
11-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Don't think so... Just called them and they said they are open.
I was told yesterday afternoon by someone who worked (works?) there that they shut down yesterday. She was offered a job at one of their other restaurants.

Pete
11-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Called again and pressed and they said they closed for good on Wednesday.

So strange... They seemed somewhat busy and spent a bunch of money only to last 5 months?

Bullbear
11-30-2018, 08:15 AM
how strange that initially they would say they were open?.

Pete
11-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Asking around it sounds like they just didn't have enough business.

It was busy at the beginning but I had not been by in quite a while.

I think they only had one size of pizza (very big) and slices? I don't want a huge pizza and I don't like slices because they usually aren't fresh.

Also, a million places to get pizza and I didn't think it was special in any way.

burlap
11-30-2018, 08:36 AM
They tried to emulate Empire and Empire does it so much better in every aspect. Really how it boiled down for me.

Bullbear
11-30-2018, 08:53 AM
I think most "sit down" type Pizza places in OKC have filled their Niche.. hard to break into that I would think unless there is really something special your bringing to the table. Now if you want to open a Ok pizza place in a strip mall that delivers you might make it. but for a full build out like they did you better bring your A game.

jedicurt
11-30-2018, 09:03 AM
i had gone twice and the pizza was just okay... so i never went back.. like others have said, i think OKC is kind of saturated in the Pizza market

Roger S
11-30-2018, 09:34 AM
i had gone twice and the pizza was just okay... so i never went back.. like others have said, i think OKC is kind of saturated in the Pizza market

And isn't this another of the made to order in a matter of minutes pizza concepts that have popped up everywhere?

We've already had a casualty or two on 19th Street in Moore after 5-6 of them opened up there.

Johnb911
11-30-2018, 12:43 PM
^^

Pretty sure this was a full-on sit down place. Not like Blaze or Revolve

Dustin
11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
I honestly forgot about this place. I went once and thought it was good, but just forgot about it and never went back. The building is awful. I'm not a fan of the horseshoe shape. Doesn't make for a good sit-down restaurant.

MagzOK
12-01-2018, 04:50 AM
It started off as a walk-up and order, sit down, and they'd bring your food to you. Then it evolved into a full service restaurant. It's about that time that we noticed less customers. We live down the street and went often as our kids liked the sliced pizza. I thought their wings were pretty good. Nothing special, just convenient for us.

Johnb911
12-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Cathy Cummings (owner of Vito's, wife of Sean Cummings) saying on the Village FB page that this will become a Jimmy's Egg.

Pete
12-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Cathy Cummings (owner of Vito's, wife of Sean Cummings) saying on the Village FB page that this will become a Jimmy's Egg.

Wheel House and Jimmy's Egg had overlap in ownership, so this doesn't surprise me.

I also don't think that is some sort of cursed location; almost the opposite. Just get a good concept in there.

barrettd
12-03-2018, 08:40 AM

Hmmm....I wouldn't hate that idea.

jbkrems
12-03-2018, 11:35 AM
This doesn't bother me, but I wonder if it would take away business from the Jimmy's Egg up the street across from Quail Springs Mall. Perhaps there is enough business to compete between the two stores. It definitely would provide more direct competition with Joey's Café nearby.

sooner88
12-03-2018, 11:42 AM
This doesn't bother me, but I wonder if it would take away business from the Jimmy's Egg up the street across from Quail Springs Mall. Perhaps there is enough business to compete between the two stores. It definitely would provide more direct competition with Joey's Café nearby.

And there's another one on Britton in between May and Penn. Seems like a lot, but they'd have all of Quail Creek to occupy it.

Dob Hooligan
12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Remember also the Jimmy's Egg in Casady Square (which I think is a company owned building). Would make this one two miles from two different locations.

Pete
12-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Maybe they'll do a Jimmy's Egg with a bar, like the one being built in Midtown.

I think they are feeling pressure to up their game due to Hatch, Neighborhood Jam, etc. And there are big margins in alcohol.

Johnb911
12-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Maybe they'll do a Jimmy's Egg with a bar, like the one being built in Midtown.

I think they are feeling pressure to up their game due to Hatch, Neighborhood Jam, etc. And there are big margins in alcohol.

That was my thought when I read Cathy's post. The bar is already built out in the restaurant, and since they've already proven they're open to serving alcohol, might as well do that here too.

Dob Hooligan
12-03-2018, 03:37 PM
I don't think they feel much pressure from the trendy joints. I heard a quote "I'd rather have the 80% we have than the 20% they're chasing". Jimmy's Egg makes a lot of money with a very lean management structure. Alcohol can have a large profit margin, but it requires strict management.