View Full Version : Brian Davis out...

Laramie
06-15-2018, 05:57 PM
https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w620-304cd7bc47c34b4beac2e797ef824259.jpg
Oklahoma City Thunder TV play-by-play announcer Brian Davis before an NBA basketball game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Charlotte Hornets at Chesapeake Energy Arena, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman

The Thunder will not make a change at the analyst position, a spokesman said. Michael Cage has been in that position on the Fox Sports Oklahoma broadcasts since 2014.

Thunder won't renew contract of announcer Brian Davis: https://newsok.com/article/5598295/thunder-wont-renew-contract-of-announcer-brian-davis

shawnw
06-15-2018, 06:06 PM
posted in the Thunder thread earlier

Laramie
06-15-2018, 07:42 PM
shawnw, the newsok link to the article is it available to you on this site or do you need a subscription to read...

shawnw
06-15-2018, 09:54 PM
When I click it I can read it

Laramie
06-15-2018, 11:44 PM
When I click it I can read it Thanks, should have used USA Today's link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/15/oklahoma-city-thunder-wont-renew-contract-of-announcer/36079077/

catch22
06-16-2018, 10:03 AM
This is very sad to me. While I think everyone would agree the statement was a poor choice of words, I haven't seen any evidence to support that he is racist, prejudiced towards or against any race. Everything I have seen about him has shown that he is just a really good guy.

He comes up with the craziest, funniest expressions when he is excited announcing games; and I think in the moment he short circuited and didn't realize the meaning or impact of what he was saying in this instance. I think it's a poor decision by the Thunder. Fine him, suspend him, etc. - but he's been good to the Thunder for a decade. Fans, players, coaches all seem to love him.

Urbanized
06-16-2018, 10:22 AM
I’m not sure that it is 100% related to the statement he made. I think there has been some dissatisfaction with the game calls in general. Will be interesting to see who takes his place.

dankrutka
06-16-2018, 11:49 AM
First, we don't actually know that Brian Davis' statement is why his contract isn't being renewed. This could have been coming anyway. Second, I suspect that if it was the reason he was let go it's because player(s) wanted it. Russ' statement on it at the time certainly sounded like it really bothered him and, in the NBA, teams keep star players happy.

Overall, I appreciated Brian Davis' enthusiasm, but I really wish the Thunder could get some announcers who provide a bit more nuanced analysis of the games instead of sounding like they work for the Thunder Ministry of Propaganda. In this regard, Matt Pinto is the worst. His radio calls make it sound like there's a worldwide conspiracy against the Thunder every game. It's hard to listen to. Just my two cents.

Jake
06-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Like Dan says, the Thunder have some of the worst announcers in the league pertaining to unabashed homerism. I like Brian Davis, but I think it's time for a change.

Seriously hope it isn't Matt Pinto, though.

Urbanized
06-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Agree with Dan and those are my thoughts also. I think cutting ties may have had to do with more than the on-air flub, but if it was a direct result of "cotton pickin'" I'm certain it was because of player thoughts on the matter.

Celebrator
06-16-2018, 10:45 PM
This is very sad to me. While I think everyone would agree the statement was a poor choice of words, I haven't seen any evidence to support that he is racist, prejudiced towards or against any race. Everything I have seen about him has shown that he is just a really good guy.

He comes up with the craziest, funniest expressions when he is excited announcing games; and I think in the moment he short circuited and didn't realize the meaning or impact of what he was saying in this instance. I think it's a poor decision by the Thunder. Fine him, suspend him, etc. - but he's been good to the Thunder for a decade. Fans, players, coaches all seem to love him.

I agree with you here. I have met him several times in person and had a chance to talk with him for extended periods of time and he is a really nice guy and LOVES Oklahoma and Oklahoma City. He said at an event I attended this year that he wanted to make OKC home when he retires. Just a good dude and a good announcer, too, in my book. I will miss him. I actually would have rather seen Michael Cage hit the bricks, to be honest.

Mike_M
06-17-2018, 12:12 AM
In this regard, Matt Pinto is the worst. His radio calls make it sound like there's a worldwide conspiracy against the Thunder every game. It's hard to listen to. Just my two cents.

Wow I didn't know people didn't like Matt Pinto. I generally don't listen to the games on radio unless I have to, but from what I remember, he's always been pretty quick to call out the players. He sounded in complete disgust for the entirety of the Jazz series. He would be a pretty vast improvement over Brian Davis, but I wonder if he would be able to make the adjustment to TV and Bryan Cage talking himself into a corner and abruptly running out of words every other play.

sooner88
06-17-2018, 03:28 AM
Think that this is a good move. He was entertaining, but if you watch any other team's broadcast you'll see how far behind we are. They give way better analysis, and for the most part, unbiased. I would prefer Cage go too though, I think he is the worst we have ever had. He has terrible and biased comments with zero thoughtful analysis. Watching a game out of state with the opposing team's commentators complimenting our team was a huge shock.

Urbanized
06-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Gotta say I really enjoy Antonio Daniels’ takes at halftime from the Fox studio. He is insightful and passionate but doesn’t mince words when he sees the Thunder phoning it in or otherwise leaving strategy and effort out of the mix. Would like to see him involved in game calls, but of course we are right now looking for a play by play guy, not color guy. Two very different jobs.

king183
06-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Gotta say I really enjoy Antonio Daniels’ takes at halftime from the Fox studio. He is insightful and passionate but doesn’t mince words when he sees the Thunder phoning it in or otherwise leaving strategy and effort out of the mix. Would like to see him involved in game calls, but of course we are right now looking for a play by play guy, not color guy. Two very different jobs.

Agree on Antonio Daniels. He should replace Cage. Cage is really, really bad at the job, whereas Daniels is really, really good.

Celebrator
06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Agree on Antonio Daniels. He should replace Cage. Cage is really, really bad at the job, whereas Daniels is really, really good.

AD is great. Love him.

OkieHornet
06-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Isn't Antonio Daniels a FoxSW employee? And that's how he can let his feelings be more known? I'm not sure how how it all works, though. If Daniels got the Thunder job, he'd be a Thunder employee, right? And probably end up being as much of a homer as Davis and Cage are/were if they were signing his paycheck.

Anonymous.
06-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Antonio Daniels should be the head coach of the Thunder... Just thought I would throw that one in.

Urbanized
06-18-2018, 03:36 PM
Isn't Antonio Daniels a FoxSW employee? And that's how he can let his feelings be more known? I'm not sure how how it all works, though. If Daniels got the Thunder job, he'd be a Thunder employee, right? And probably end up being as much of a homer as Davis and Cage are/were if they were signing his paycheck.

I think that is accurate to a degree. Although as pointed out elsewhere, other broadcast teams throughout the league are known to tell it like it is a bit more than the Thunder broadcast team has been known to. Part of this has to do with league rules I'm sure; I know organizations can be subject to fines if their broadcast teams are too critical of officiating. But pointing out things like lack of team effort, poor coaching decisions etc would not be subject to league rules.

I'm sure a lot of the homerism has been the expectation of the Thunder organization itself, which is notorious for controlling media message, plus being super tight-lipped and only positive. Not even saying I totally disagree with this strategy. You are talking about a town and a fan base which is still pretty new to the game and often a bit unsophisticated when it comes to opinions on officiating, players and coaching.

Laramie
06-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Antonio Daniels is a very talented individual; you'll see him elevated somewhere in the spotlight with FoxSports, Thunder color/coaching or with another organization much like Nancy Lieberman.

dankrutka
06-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Urbanized, I honestly have not researched the policy, but how could Matt Pinto have never received a fine if that was the case? I have heard him say on many occasions that the refs are against the Thunder. Like, he has clearly implied that there is cheating going on in the league if you just follow his logic.

And I know this is probably obvious, but I certainly don’t hate Matt Pinto. I just think he’s an over the top announcer. I’d prefer someone Who helps me better understand the game. I am sure not everyone agrees.

Jersey Boss
06-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Any team owner or employee of the team may be fined for commenting that officials are biased. Now whether or not that person gets fined is beyond me on when that punishment is assessed.

CloudDeckMedia
06-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Dean Blevins just tweeted a reference to Tiger Woods being "barbecued." Stunning.

Rover
06-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Dean Blevins just tweeted a reference to Tiger Woods being "barbecued." Stunning.

This is probably offensive to the witches who were burned at the stake. I am sure that would be stunning.