View Full Version : House Music Nightclub in OKC

Steven Myers
06-12-2018, 06:21 AM
I want a dance club in OKC that has pro dj's spinning current house music. Specifically underground progressive/tech/deep/electro house. There was a club in Dallas in the mid 90's called Club One that was in Deep Ellum, or Ministry of Sound in London, their main room. That is what I have in mind. Very dark interior with minimal stark lighting. Lasers. Premium sound system. House music all night long 'til the sun comes up. There's always the The Wreck Room which is an institution but everything else here now clubwise is EDM or trap or mainstream pop. The club I want is centered on music and dancing. Not a place to be seen at or to sit around and mingle. No dress codes. No attitude. Just massively loud, pounding bass with sweaty bodies moving to the beat. If there is someone with a fat wallet that wants to do something fun I could help put this together. Or you could do it and I will just go.

Pete
06-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Did you ever go to Robotic Wednesdays at the old Kamps on Classen?

Exactly as you described and operated for years until very recently.

Bullbear
06-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Robotic wed was great and they moved it to Angles for like a month but then it fizzled.
OKC does have a hole in its club culture, However some of the nights they put on at Sauced on Paseo capture good memories for me.
they did an all vinyl night this past weekend with three DJ's spinning only vinyl..

TheTravellers
06-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Robotic wed was great and they moved it to Angles for like a month but then it fizzled.
OKC does have a hole in its club culture, However some of the nights they put on at Sauced on Paseo capture good memories for me.
they did an all vinyl night this past weekend with three DJ's spinning only vinyl..

GTK, as I think your tastes and mine seem to intersect somewhat, based on past posts. We live about 5 mins from Sauced, have only eaten there during the day, will have to check this out, thx for the tip. :kicking:

bchris02
06-12-2018, 09:23 AM

I loved Robotic Wednesdays. Unfortunately I couldn't go very often having a M-F 8-5 job. There also used to be one in Bricktown but I forget what it was called. Frequency maybe?

I agree though this is a hole in OKC's club scene. The closest thing you are going to find currently is some Saturday nights at Sauced on Paseo. Maybe Ed Crunk, who posts here, knows of something? He used to DJ Robotic Wednesdays.

bchris02
06-12-2018, 09:25 AM

I don't know why somebody doesn't reopen Angles as that exact type of club. It's a perfect venue for it.

Bullbear
06-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I don't know why somebody doesn't reopen Angles as that exact type of club. It's a perfect venue for it.

the owners of Angles just aren't interested in doing much with it. they also own Copa and Finishline and just open ANGLES for events. not interested in selling it because it would be competition.. sad

Bullbear
06-12-2018, 09:32 AM
GTK, as I think your tastes and mine seem to intersect somewhat, based on past posts. We live about 5 mins from Sauced, have only eaten there during the day, will have to check this out, thx for the tip. :kicking:

every first Friday they do a retro dance party at sauced.. youd dig it. its in back area beyond that Side of Sauced bar part.

Pete
06-12-2018, 09:52 AM
every first Friday they do a retro dance party at sauced.. youd dig it. its in back area beyond that Side of Sauced bar part.

Is this inside and do they allow smoking?

Bullbear
06-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Pete it is inside in that side space.. its an odd layout but kinda fits the vibe of that kind of dance party. no there is no smoking inside. people step out of the far west door and smoke on the street there. there is a bar back tucked in that space as well besides the bar in the seated space of Side of sauce. they have dance parties back there a lot actually.

Steven Myers
06-12-2018, 08:02 PM

Not exactly as i described at all. I went occasionally. Decent sound system, but mostly EDM and Dubstep when I was there. Not straight up house. It's a different vibe. Plus it was small and just a bimonthly event in a converted room anyway. That's not a club. I'm talking about a dedicated establishment that's there each weekend on the reg. Also, closing at 2 am is just annoying. All the great cities in the world have had clubs like this for decades where the party doesn't stop until dawn. OKC just isn't cosmopolitan enough to do this correctly. Have to keep going to Dallas. I was only dreaming out loud here anyway. Forget it.

GoThunder
06-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Not exactly as i described at all. I went occasionally. Decent sound system, but mostly EDM and Dubstep when I was there. Not straight up house. It's a different vibe. Plus it was small and just a bimonthly event in a converted room anyway. That's not a club. I'm talking about a dedicated establishment that's there each weekend on the reg. Also, closing at 2 am is just annoying. All the great cities in the world have had clubs like this for decades where the party doesn't stop until dawn. OKC just isn't cosmopolitan enough to do this correctly. Have to keep going to Dallas. I was only dreaming out loud here anyway. Forget it.

Lol

Steven Myers
06-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Lol

Solid argument.

Steven Myers
06-12-2018, 08:41 PM
the owners of Angles just aren't interested in doing much with it. they also own Copa and Finishline and just open ANGLES for events. not interested in selling it because it would be competition.. sad

I don't know where you got this from. The owner of Angles and The Wreck Room actually placed an ad in the Gazette just a few years ago offering them both for sale. I called him and we discussed it. He wanted a lot for them. He is not concerned about competition to the other businesses. That area sustained quite well for a long time with multiple clubs around. It was a natural club crawl. He was just ready to move on from it.

bchris02
06-12-2018, 09:01 PM

It's the stupid blue laws that are always the elephant in the room in Oklahoma. Little Rock, Arkansas has Discovery Nightclub, which is open until 5am. Two dance floors, one playing electronic music and the other playing Top 40. Another room has drag shows. It's a blast. And since its open long after everything else closes it's where everyone ends up and is packed every weekend. A club like that could never happen in OKC because of the laws here.

Steven Myers
06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
It's the stupid blue laws that are always the elephant in the room in Oklahoma. Little Rock, Arkansas has Discovery Nightclub, which is open until 5am. Two dance floors, one playing electronic music and the other playing Top 40. Another room has drag shows. It's a blast. And since its open long after everything else closes it's where everyone ends up and is packed every weekend. A club like that could never happen in OKC because of the laws here.

We've actually had plenty of after hours clubs in OKC and Norman since the 80's. The Wreck Room used to always stay open until the last dancer left. 'The 13th Floor' on Lindsay St. in Norman was a house and techno after hours club with a breakfast buffett served at 5am. The Bat Cave was in Bricktown back before the money came in. Plus a bunch more. You just can't serve alcohol after 2am.

MikeLucky
06-12-2018, 09:43 PM
We've actually had plenty of after hours clubs in OKC and Norman since the 80's. The Wreck Room used to always stay open until the last dancer left. 'The 13th Floor' on Lindsay St. in Norman was a house and techno after hours club with a breakfast buffett served at 5am. The Bat Cave was in Bricktown back before the money came in. Plus a bunch more. You just can't serve alcohol after 2am.

And, there's your problem. I've been to the after hours clubs/parties in OKC and it's the same 20-30 people and many aren't even 21. Not really a cosmopolitan vibe you describe. OKC just doesn't have the volume of house or even EDM fans to support what you are suggesting.

bchris02
06-12-2018, 10:14 PM
[/B]

And, there's your problem. I've been to the after hours clubs/parties in OKC and it's the same 20-30 people and many aren't even 21. Not really a cosmopolitan vibe you describe. OKC just doesn't have the volume of house or even EDM fans to support what you are suggesting.

A lot of people say this but I don't think it's the case. I just think such a thing is difficult to do within the confines of Oklahoma bar/club laws. Remember that it's not just that establishments with ABC-3 licenses have to stop serving alcohol by 2am, they have to have everyone vacated from their premises. Any establishment that stays open later cannot serve alcohol period and a dance club that doesn't serve alcohol simply doesn't make a lot of business sense. If Oklahoma had a special liquor license that allows bars to stay open later than 2am like Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia do, I think such a club culture could happen here.

Bullbear
06-13-2018, 08:08 AM
I don't know where you got this from. The owner of Angles and The Wreck Room actually placed an ad in the Gazette just a few years ago offering them both for sale. I called him and we discussed it. He wanted a lot for them. He is not concerned about competition to the other businesses. That area sustained quite well for a long time with multiple clubs around. It was a natural club crawl. He was just ready to move on from it.

they are not interested in selling currently because they may need to use the space if the Habana sells and they no longer have the space for Copa or Finishline. they would then be forced to use the ANGLES space for their club business. but clearly you know more than me.

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 11:50 AM
they are not interested in selling currently because they may need to use the space if the Habana sells and they no longer have the space for Copa or Finishline. they would then be forced to use the ANGLES space for their club business. but clearly you know more than me.

Well, which is it? First you make the claim about not selling because of competition and now this. They wanted to sell in the past. That's a fact. So it seems that in the long run not finding a buyer may be a good thing since Habana is now in play. Apparently we both know things. The more you know...

TheTravellers
06-13-2018, 11:50 AM

OKC used to be cosmopolitan enough to do it, back in the late 80s - early 90s (as you allude to in another post). Clubs on Classen and in Bricktown (501, I think, among others, Bullbear will remember the names better than me) stayed open until pretty much dawn, I remember coming out blinking and going to eat at Girlie Pancake House afterwards (never ever Denny's).

dankrutka
06-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Which laws are you referring to that are different than other states? Please be more specific.

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas (which were both mentioned in this thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_call_(bar_term)#United_States There seem to be exceptions in some locations so that would be interesting to learn more about how most states handle municipal or property exceptions.

From my experience, Texas laws aren't better than Oklahoma. When I first lived in DFW I was in a major college town and the county was dry. You couldn't buy liquor at all and you had to be a member of a bar to drink. This changed 2 years ago. Lol. I never experienced that in any of the 4 counties in which I lived in Oklahoma. Also, you can't buy alcohol after midnight in Texas, but you can buy until 2am in Oklahoma.

Are there different laws you're referring to besides last call laws though?

Roger S
06-13-2018, 11:57 AM
You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas [/url]

Not sure if it's possible here or not but there are BYOB Gentlemen's Clubs in Dallas staying open until 5 AM now.

Bullbear
06-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Which laws are you referring to that are different than other states? Please be more specific.

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas (which were both mentioned in this thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_call_(bar_term)#United_States

Are there different laws you're referring to besides last call laws?

I could be wrong but had heard from owners before there were some issues with staying open past 2, even if you had last call and no longer served alcohol. where in other states they can simply stop service clear drinks and stay open past 2 legally.

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 12:20 PM
I could be wrong but had heard from owners before there were some issues with staying open past 2, even if you had last call and no longer served alcohol. where in other states they can simply stop service clear drinks and stay open past 2 legally.

The way it works in OKC has always been that a night club must literally lock up the alcohol in some official manner at 2am. Similar to how convenience stores here do the same thing each night. That is all that is required for a club to remain open as late as it likes.

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 12:30 PM
OKC used to be cosmopolitan enough to do it, back in the late 80s - early 90s (as you allude to in another post). Clubs on Classen and in Bricktown (501, I think, among others, Bullbear will remember the names better than me) stayed open until pretty much dawn, I remember coming out blinking and going to eat at Girlie Pancake House afterwards (never ever Denny's).

The club called Infinity (later called Infinity 2) on Classen in the now gone old church building would stay open after hours until 5am. Several others at that same location did the same, like King of Clubs, Inertia, and Pandemonium. Studio 310 in Bricktown tried after hours as well for a while. I could name about 10 others that existed over the years.

bchris02
06-13-2018, 12:43 PM

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas (which were both mentioned in this thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_call_(bar_term)#United_States There seem to be exceptions in some locations so that would be interesting to learn more about how most states handle municipal or property exceptions.

In Oklahoma, bars/clubs must be closed and everyone kicked out by 2am. Those that stay open later, like the Wreck Room, cannot serve alcohol period. In many other states, alcohol has to stop being served but people can linger as long as the business wants to remain open. It sucks because by the time I typically am getting in the mood for a dance club it's already 12:30 or 1 and things are starting to wind down here by that time. Some states do have certain exceptions to last call laws. Arkansas for instance has a limited number of licenses available in the largest counties in the state for establishments to stay open until 5am. Most bars/clubs have to close at 2am but a select few can stay open until 5am. This is huge when it comes to having a vibrant club culture, especially for EDM/trance/house. It isn't possible in Oklahoma under the current laws.

From my experience, Texas laws aren't better than Oklahoma. When I first lived in DFW I was in a major college town and the county was dry. You couldn't buy liquor at all and you had to be a member of a bar to drink. This changed 2 years ago. Lol. I never experienced that in any of the 4 counties in which I lived in Oklahoma. Also, you can't buy alcohol after midnight in Texas, but you can buy until 2am in Oklahoma.

I'm assuming you are referring to the midnight last call in much of rural Texas? Texas seems quite localized in terms of its liquor laws depending on where you are, with the rural areas being quite strict and the more populated areas being more liberal. I know there are clubs in Dallas that stay open until 3am or 4am. How they do that, I'm not sure.

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 12:47 PM

Are there different laws you're referring to besides last call laws though?

From TABC (see the last line):

HOURS OF SALE AND CONSUMPTION What are the legal hours of sale/service of alcoholic beverages?

ON-PREMISE LICENSE OR PERMIT (E.G. BAR OR RESTAURANT)

Monday-Friday: 7am-midnight Saturday: 7am-1am (Sunday morning) Sunday: Noon to midnight. (10am-noon only in conjunction with the service of food)

If the establishment is in a city or county legal for late hours, and they have a late hours permit, they can sell alcohol for on-premise consumption until 2am any night of the week.

bchris02
06-13-2018, 12:48 PM
The way it works in OKC has always been that a night club must literally lock up the alcohol in some official manner at 2am. Similar to how convenience stores here do the same thing each night. That is all that is required for a club to remain open as late as it likes.

If this is the case and they could stay open later as long as the alcohol is locked up, why is it that no matter what club you go to around here, the lights turn on at 1:45 and everyone must be completely out by 2am? Is there a law that forbids bar patrons from drinking past 2am or something even if the drink was sold before 2?

TheTravellers
06-13-2018, 12:50 PM
The club called Infinity (later called Infinity 2) on Classen in the now gone old church building would stay open after hours until 5am. Several others at that same location did the same, like King of Clubs, Inertia, and Pandemonium. Studio 310 in Bricktown tried after hours as well for a while. I could name about 10 others that existed over the years.

Yep, and it is curious - where did all of us that used to dance there go? Personally, we moved away from 1995 - 2009, but have been wishing there were still those kinds of clubs here since we've been back. Are none of the 20-30-somethings dancing like that anymore? I know most folks my age end up at Groovy's, et al, but I've never set foot in any place like that and never will (shudders).

Ran across something when looking for Sauced's first Friday thing, and turns out they have an acid house night this Friday if you're into aceeeeeeeed in addition to house (we can't go, but wish we could).

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 12:53 PM
In Oklahoma, bars/clubs must be closed and everyone kicked out by 2am. Those that stay open later, like the Wreck Room, cannot serve alcohol period. In many other states, alcohol has to stop being served but people can linger as long as the business wants to remain open. It sucks because by the time I typically am getting in the mood for a dance club it's already 12:30 or 1 and things are starting to wind down here by that time. Some states do have certain exceptions to last call laws. Arkansas for instance has a limited number of licenses available in the largest counties in the state for establishments to stay open until 5am. Most bars/clubs have to close at 2am but a select few can stay open until 5am. This is huge when it comes to having a vibrant club culture, especially for EDM/trance/house. It isn't possible in Oklahoma under the current laws.

I'm assuming you are referring to the midnight last call in much of rural Texas? Texas seems quite localized in terms of its liquor laws depending on where you are, with the rural areas being quite strict and the more populated areas being more liberal. I know there are clubs in Dallas that stay open until 3am or 4am. How they do that, I'm not sure.

I have worked at and been to clubs in OKC that served alcohol and simply locked it up at 2am while patrons continued to dance and the club remained open after hours.

Pete
06-13-2018, 12:54 PM
I've been flirting with doing periodic electronica nights at FlashBack or elsewhere.

HOT ROD
06-13-2018, 01:05 PM
OKC should really look into this. Perhaps if we changed the law a little to allow true after hours clubs on weekend nights (Th, Fri, Sat), that could do WONDERS to the perception of OKC being a no-fun backwater city.

I also think we should pay particular attention to the days, Thursday evening through Sunday morning. ....

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 01:08 PM
If this is the case and they could stay open later as long as the alcohol is locked up, why is it that no matter what club you go to around here, the lights turn on at 1:45 and everyone must be completely out by 2am? Is there a law that forbids bar patrons from drinking past 2am or something even if the drink was sold before 2?

You cannot continue to legally drink an alcoholic beverage on the premises after 2am. Period. The reason is because these clubs don't want to bother with the task of locking up all the alcohol. So yes, the patrons must leave. They make their money from sales mostly and it isn't worthwhile to stay open after hours. Now, the clubs that cater to someone like yourself think differently and figure they will get your repeat business if they stay open a few more hours each night giving you your money's worth for the cover charge.

bchris02
06-13-2018, 01:20 PM
You cannot continue to legally drink an alcoholic beverage on the premises after 2am. Period. The reason is because these clubs don't want to bother with the task of locking up all the alcohol. So yes, the patrons must leave. They make their money from sales mostly and it isn't worthwhile to stay open after hours. Now, the clubs that cater to someone like yourself think differently and figure they will get your repeat business if they stay open a few more hours each night giving you your money's worth for the cover charge.

Ah this makes sense. That's where Oklahoma differs from a lot of other states that simply do not allow sales after 2am.

Steven Myers
06-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Yep, and it is curious - where did all of us that used to dance there go? Personally, we moved away from 1995 - 2009, but have been wishing there were still those kinds of clubs here since we've been back. Are none of the 20-30-somethings dancing like that anymore? I know most folks my age end up at Groovy's, et al, but I've never set foot in any place like that and never will (shudders).

Ran across something when looking for Sauced's first Friday thing, and turns out they have an acid house night this Friday if you're into aceeeeeeeed in addition to house (we can't go, but wish we could).

I guess everyone just grew up and gave up. I did to a large degree as well but have always kept a toe in the water. Of course festival raves have been the standard for years now (although that bubble has burst too). Skrillex at the Zoo a while back was pretty damn intense. Amazing bass. People seriously getting down. Even Rose McGowan was there. Millennials don't seem to have a taste for going out to dance regularly on the weekend like we did. Too much other cool stuff to do. Also, it's kinda hard to dance and feel the moment when you are texting, tweeting, insta-ing, etc. FOMO is rampant. Something cooler might be happening online and you can't not be there to comment on it or you're so 2000 late. It's sad really. But only from my aged perspective. I'm sure they think it's great. I find it all one dimensional. Still, here I sit on a website. So it gets us all to some extent. Agreed about Groovy's and the like. Nope. There used to be cool, shady guys with money that wanted to open a club to score young chicks (or dude's) and make their mark on the scene but they're mostly gone or replaced by corporate replicants. Thanks for the heads up on the acid at Sauced. I'll check it out for sure.

Anonymous.
06-13-2018, 01:59 PM
I think Texas is the exact same. There are places I have been to in Austin on 6th street that stop alcohol sales @ 2, but remain open until 3. Barbarella is the main one that comes to mind since it is a dance bar. Although I have never paid attention enough to see if they are actually "locking up the alcohol" or making people clear drinks.

sooner88
06-13-2018, 02:07 PM
I think Texas is the exact same. There are places I have been to in Austin on 6th street that stop alcohol sales @ 2, but remain open until 3. Barbarella is the main one that comes to mind since it is a dance bar. Although I have never paid attention enough to see if they are actually "locking up the alcohol" or making people clear drinks.

I've been to Barbarella and they walk around with trash cans and make everyone throw away their drinks, etc. right before 2 am.

Anonymous.
06-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Yea, so basically I think OK venues could do the same as that, but it isn't worth it. As an establishment you are risking [probably rare] penalties for anyone caught selling or drinking alcohol after 2. And second you aren't making any additional money.

Bullbear
06-13-2018, 02:37 PM

<3 barbarella! went to a event last two weekends ago that took over S4 and they made announcements at 2 to surrender all glassware and came around bussing and cleared everything. then the party continued.

dankrutka
06-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Thanks for providing more details in your post. That's helpful and actually helps to understand what could be changed.

But, no, I wasn't clear. Because the county was dry, you couldn't purchase a bottle of liquor from a store. You had to drive outside the county to do so. Until 2 years ago, these laws were in place in all of Denton County in DFW, which is not just a rural area. But, stores in all of Texas still can't sell any alcohol past midnight, which is the law for the entire state. As to bars in the county, they served until 2am, but you had to be a "member."

I am getting old and don't stay out until 2am, but I'm not sure if there are exceptions for Dallas.

Anyway, the larger point is that Oklahoma's drinking laws really aren't much different than other states, especially once the new laws kick in in October. However, there might be some changes bars could make or exceptions they could seek to lead to places that stay open later. Maybe y'all could start the movement to work on this.

MikeLucky
06-13-2018, 09:41 PM
A lot of people say this but I don't think it's the case. I just think such a thing is difficult to do within the confines of Oklahoma bar/club laws. Remember that it's not just that establishments with ABC-3 licenses have to stop serving alcohol by 2am, they have to have everyone vacated from their premises. Any establishment that stays open later cannot serve alcohol period and a dance club that doesn't serve alcohol simply doesn't make a lot of business sense. If Oklahoma had a special liquor license that allows bars to stay open later than 2am like Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia do, I think such a club culture could happen here.
No, it really is the case. I've been around the scene know a lot of really talented people that spent a lot of money and effort to expand the club scene here in OKC. Nobody wants a better dance club scene here than I do, but it just isn't something the city is ready for yet.

Steven Myers
06-14-2018, 01:06 AM
Yea, so basically I think OK venues could do the same as that, but it isn't worth it. As an establishment you are risking [probably rare] penalties for anyone caught selling or drinking alcohol after 2. And second you aren't making any additional money.

It's very common for clubs that stay open after hours to raise their cover charge for anyone entering after a certain time, usually midnight or later. Depending on their capacity they can make enough to justify the extra time open. Especially considering they aren't paying bartenders at that point. You get all the club goers that are looking to continue the party from elsewhere. Also, another driving factor for being after hours is that a certain part of the clientele loves the aspect of heading out late to go all night. It's a cache that attracts repeat business and cool points for the club.
Once it's available and word gets out it can become the go to place because of this added feature.

Steven Myers
06-14-2018, 01:52 AM
No, it really is the case. I've been around the scene know a lot of really talented people that spent a lot of money and effort to expand the club scene here in OKC. Nobody wants a better dance club scene here than I do, but it just isn't something the city is ready for yet.

I agree with you that there probably aren't enough people wanting this sort of thing in OKC and surrounding areas to support it. Still, I can't help but think that if it was done properly with attention to detail with full commitment from someone with deep pockets it could gain a solid following. I want the underground stuff though. We're stuck with Club One15, Candy, The Liszt, etc. Those are way too try hard in the decor and One15 has a mediocre sound system and the music is mainstream at all of them. I dropped by The Liszt two weeks ago just for laughs and over 90 minutes around peak I watched no less than 30 people pay cover, walk in, and leave after 10 to 15 minutes. That's the most bleed I've ever seen at a club. It was brutal. I talked with some of them and the main complaint was the DJ and the music. Some wanted more new stuff with an edge to it and some just wanted more variety in the mix. Too much old stuff.

I'm curious to know more about what these people in the scene that you know have done towards opening a night club. I know of one that was around briefly a while back but I can't remember the name.

bchris02
06-14-2018, 08:32 AM
I agree with you that there probably aren't enough people wanting this sort of thing in OKC and surrounding areas to support it. Still, I can't help but think that if it was done properly with attention to detail with full commitment from someone with deep pockets it could gain a solid following. I want the underground stuff though.

I agree with this. I think if done right, such a club could possibly be successful here. However, the current liquor laws pertaining to last call and after hours clubs, as I've said, are a pretty significant barrier.

That's the most bleed I've ever seen at a club. It was brutal. I talked with some of them and the main complaint was the DJ and the music. Some wanted more new stuff with an edge to it and some just wanted more variety in the mix. Too much old stuff.

This is the biggest problem I have with OKC's club scene, at least in Bricktown. For the most part it's like the DJs haven't updated their playlist in a decade. No matter which club you go to, it consists primarily of early 2000s hip-hop staples i.e. "Big Pimpin", "Back That Thang Up" as well as classic club anthems like "Single Ladies" and "We Goin Down" and "Jumpin Jumpin." You hear very little music newer than 2008 and no electropop, EDM, or anything edgy. Usually at some point, they will spin the Wobble and the Cupid Shuffle. It's also the same music every weekend and they never play anything different. It's definitely good to spin throwbacks but going into the average OKC club is like stepping a decade back in time when it comes to the music.

soonerguru
06-15-2018, 12:04 AM

They are LAME. Such outdated thinking. 😣

ditm4567
06-15-2018, 08:46 AM
I dropped by The Liszt two weeks ago just for laughs and over 90 minutes around peak I watched no less than 30 people pay cover, walk in, and leave after 10 to 15 minutes. That's the most bleed I've ever seen at a club. It was brutal. I talked with some of them and the main complaint was the DJ and the music. Some wanted more new stuff with an edge to it and some just wanted more variety in the mix. Too much old stuff.

I have heard the general age group in there is 40 and up. Is that true?

Pete
06-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Last night I went to the Dark Dancing DJ thing at Sauced for the first time... It was great fun.

It seems like they have a DJ in that space starting at 8PM on Fridays and 9PM on Saturday.

I'm a harsh critic of DJ's but I thought the two guys last night did a good job. I left before 11 so I imagine it got busier later. The patio at Sauced was pretty much full at that time, with people coming and going from inside to outside. They played some house-ish electronica (little to no lyrics and tracks no one would know) mixed in Depech Mode, Animotion, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, and some other better-known tracks.

Lots of goth types but really an eclectic mix of people and it was a very relaxed, pretty friendly setting. The SOS Bar right next door has a big, easily-accessible bar with a decent selection.

Bad photo but this shows the DJ booth early on; I had been in there earlier in the day and the next photo is that same space then the next 2 are of the SOS bar. They have these two massive JBL subwoofers in that small space making the sound system pretty decent.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sosbar061618.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sosbar061618a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sosbar061618b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sosbar061618c.jpg

bluedogok
06-17-2018, 06:56 PM
When I lived in Dallas (91-93) the liquor laws were county option for Dallas and Collin counties, the wet /dry areas were by voting district. That meant a "dry" district had to have the club or Unicard option to serve. I lived by I-635 and Forest Lane, it was a dry area but restaurants, bars and clubs mostly served on the Unicard. Some had their own club cards. The grocery stores in my area had no alcohol, the dividing line closest was along Greenville just south of Royal Lane. Sam's Club relocated the Garland store to Greenville and Park Lane to sell beer and wine. There was also the "town" of Buckingham that was between Richardson and Plano.it was something like two miles from east to west and a mile from north to south and had something like 6 liquor stores. The Richardson police directed traffic in and of the largest one. That was overturned in 2010 and Dallas County is now completely wet like Travis County (Austin) is when I lived there from 2003-12.

Here's a couple of articles about the Unicard system that used to exist in Dallas.
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1997/february/license-to-drink/
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/how-dry-we-aint-6418999

Steven Myers
06-18-2018, 03:22 AM
I have heard the general age group in there is 40 and up. Is that true?

Yes, definitely. There were mostly people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's. About 70% black people inside, which surprised me. After talking to a few black people there it turns out that there is a distinct lack of upscale nightclubs in the city for older black people. This place may fill that void. A lot of the people that left quickly after arriving were under 35. In particular, there was a group of 6 stylish posh looking people in their late twentys who I saw come in and leave with a disgusted look after 5 minutes. They should've been in Bricktown at Candy with a younger crowd.

LibertyOKC
06-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Candy hasn't been open for over 2 years. That location has been 3 clubs since then. Lucha Loco, Malarky's, and presently Dream.

Steven Myers
06-19-2018, 04:26 AM
Candy hasn't been open for over 2 years. That location has been 3 clubs since then. Lucha Loco, Malarky's, and presently Dream.

I care.

LibertyOKC
06-19-2018, 06:35 AM
I care.

That's cool. Just hate to see you have bad info for your next recon mission.

Steven Myers
06-20-2018, 09:03 AM
That's cool. Just hate to see you have bad info for your next recon mission.

Glad I could get you all riled up so much that had to post more than once in the last 8 months. Try to keep that brain workin' to stave off the dementia.

Bullbear
06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Dude!.. you just joined this group and you're kinda nasty on the regular.. just chill

Pete
06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
He's been banned.

People that start off so strong and argumentative... Well, it never ends well.

Bullbear
06-20-2018, 09:14 AM
I figured it was a matter of time. kind of aggressive for no reason.. Moving on

ditm4567
06-20-2018, 09:43 AM
It might have been mentioned already, or it has closed, but is there not some "electro" type lounge on May near 59th Street in the same building as S&B Burgers?

TheTravellers
06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
It might have been mentioned already, or it has closed, but is there not some "electro" type lounge on May near 59th Street in the same building as S&B Burgers?

I think it was actually in S&B before S&B existed (and then maybe they co-existed for a while), but it's been gone for years, probably at least 4-5 years by now. Never went, don't know why 'cos it sounds like it would've been cool.

HOT ROD
06-21-2018, 09:24 PM
too bad he's banned because he did have a few good points and what appears to be a bit of an insider's view of likely the worst performing music segment of Oklahoma City. we actually need people like him to have a voice so that we can make the city better since lots of folks from larger cities/metros are used to a thriving or at least available EDM/House scene.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve administrative discipline for that tone and attack; but I do hope there's a way to allow his return where he can contribute to this and likely other entertainment threads and initiatives. Can We All Get Along?