owner=Apple Nine Oklahoma LLC
cost=$26,316,000 5/28/2010
finish=2008
height=115 feet / 9 floors
sq. feet=110,937
acerage=.55
other=Built by Marsh Pittman
Links
County Assessor Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R020028300)
Gallery

10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown
By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

A proposed 10-story Hampton Inn -- the tallest addition to Bricktown -- is set to be reviewed next month by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee.
The $20 million project has been in the works for two years and is being developed by Marsh Pittman, owner of the Power Alley Parking Garage and Madison, Wis.-based Raymond Management Group.

Raymond Management Group operates 38 Hilton properties. Barry Perkel, director of real estate with Raymond Management, said his company began scouting sites in Bricktown three years ago after being alerted to downtown Oklahoma City by one of his brokers.

"There is a lot going on there," Perkel said. "We are very excited about the opportunity to build a high-quality, limited-service hotel."

Pitman said he hopes the hotel will expand the downtown skyline. He said the architects will be Tom Wilson and Architectural Design Group, the architects who designed the neighboring SBC Bricktown Ballpark.

Pittman and Perkel said they want the hotel to complement the district and will include brick in its facade.

The hotel won't have a restaurant, Pittman said, because the property at Sheridan Avenue and Central already is surrounded by eateries and clubs. But the hotel will be bigger than a typical Hampton Inn.

"We were envisioning it as being about 150 rooms," Pittman said. "But as we got into it and kept working it, it ended up we felt like we could get 200 rooms on the site."

Pitman estimated construction will begin by March and be completed within 14 months.

The Hampton Inn, when built, will join a 150-room Residence Inn being built along Reno Avenue by John Q. Hammons as the first hotels to open in Bricktown.

And when combined with the renovation of the Skirvin Hotel and conversion of the Colcord into a boutique hotel, it will boost downtown's room count to about 1,500 by 2007.

Karried
10-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Yay!! We are getting a lot of good news lately. 10 stories, that's pretty cool...

1,500 rooms, am I dreaming?? Conventions, conventions, I see lots and lots of conventions. I'm so excited for our city!

metro
10-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Yes, and if I understand the proposed site, there is no way they can stretch it out and make it too suburban, so their only choice was to go UP. (like downtownokc inc). I hope the design is better than hammonds

Pete
10-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm encouraged by the choice of architect and proximity to the stadium.

You'd think the design would will be complimentary to The Brick, and that can only be a good thing.

BDP
10-19-2005, 09:14 AM
I 100% agree Malibu. You have to assume that a firm that designed an area landmark will at least be sensitive to the aesthetics of that land mark, if not the entire district. And I think not being full service can be a good thing in this instance, in that it will draw its guests out of the hotel and into local services.

metro
10-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Mods, why isnt this thread in the Bricktown section

Patrick
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I'll move it to the Bricktown section.

Patrick
10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
By the way, this is great news. I know we've known about this hotel for awhile now, but it's finally good to see it all in writing. I'm glad it will be 10 stories. Personally I think we need to put a 10 story or more requirement on all hotels downtown. The 6 story Residence Inn is a joke. I would've rather seen a 10 story Embassy Suites there.

jbrown84
10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
And I think not being full service can be a good thing in this instance, in that it will draw its guests out of the hotel and into local services.

Not to mention offer lower-priced hotel rooms that we don't have in downtown right now.

I'm really excited that it will be 10 floors. Great news.

brianinok
10-19-2005, 08:03 PM
The 6 story Residence Inn is a joke. I would've rather seen a 10 story Embassy Suites there.Patrick, from what I understand, the Embassy Suites could not be built on that site. Hilton requires all Embassy Suites to have an atrium, which means you have to have a larger footprint. So, he would have had to move parking elsewhere-- presumably across the street. But across the street the owners are planning their own development.

While I am disappointed the Residence Inn will only be 6 floors, I am thankful for that. Let's not forget that Mr. Hammons has built a 311-room Renaissance (when no one was investing in downtown), a 225-room full service Courtyard Marriott, is building a 150-room Residence Inn, and will be building a 250+ room Embassy Suites. He is an out-of-state investor who apprears to believe more in this city than in-state investors-- who have not invested nearly as much as him to date.

HOT ROD
10-20-2005, 07:19 PM
While I am disappointed the Residence Inn will only be 6 floors, I am thankful for that. Let's not forget that Mr. Hammons has built a 311-room Renaissance (when no one was investing in downtown), a 225-room full service Courtyard Marriott, is building a 150-room Residence Inn, and will be building a 250+ room Embassy Suites. He is an out-of-state investor who apprears to believe more in this city than in-state investors-- who have not invested nearly as much as him to date.

Very true Brianinok. He was always there for OKC and he brings a diversity of hotel options to downtown. Im glad more developers are on board and jumping on - but Hammon was there when no one else cared to.

Continue the Renaissance

Doug Loudenback
10-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Has anyone seen any designs of what the HInn will look like? I've just googled a few different ways but couldn't find anything, other than the story posted at the top of this thread.

fromdust
10-23-2005, 03:13 PM
i remember a few years ago driving by downtown and seeing all the construction cranes on the skyline. here comes another round of them, great to see the progress.

bmrsnr
11-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Were there any renderings of what this new Hampton Inn will look like? And has it actually been approved yet, or was that going to happen this month?

Pete
11-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Bricktown committee to review hotel plans
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
11/7/2005

The Bricktown Urban Design Committee is scheduled to review for approval developer Marsh Pitman's application to build a nine-story Hampton Inn hotel next year, officials said.

The application was filed by Pitman, Sheridan Development LLC and Power Alley Parking LLC for consideration at the Nov. 9 committee meeting. Pitman, who is also chairman of the Bricktown Urban Design Committee, is expected to recuse himself for the consideration process, City Planner John Calhoun said.

Preliminary designs show the hotel would be larger than many Hamptons in other markets, with a tight land parcel size driving the 150-200 rooms vertically instead of a horizontal spread. The hotel will be built adjacent to Pitman's parking garage, on the east side at 222 E. Sheridan Ave.

Sources familiar with the project have estimated the hotel will cost about $20 million to build.

Architectural designs were provided by Gary Brink & Associates of Madison, Wisc. The firm could not be reached for comment late Friday.

Calhoun said the committee will likely have specific concerns that the developers will have to address, such as window setbacks, facings, landscaping and façade brick composition. Such issues are standard with major developments, he said, and require most developers to refine their proposals for final approval.

There are more than 1,300 Hampton Inns in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Hampton Inns are part of the Hilton brand of hotels

HOT ROD
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
9-Storeys. Not bad.

metro
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
yes, 9 stories, not 10 like the original proposal but still good. Did anyone catch the rendering in the Journal Record yesterday?? It was what should be built in bricktown and not suburbia. It wasn't that ornate or eye appealing though but at least its vertical and all brick.

jdsplaypin
11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
The rendering was of the Hampton? could you post it?

Luke
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I'd love to see it too!

metro
11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
It can't be posted, it was only in the print version of the JR. If I see it online, I will post it. Sorry for any confusion

Doug Loudenback
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Metro, could you scan it? The quality wouldn't likely be all that great, but it would give us an idea. Please? Pretty please? With sugar on it? :tweeted: :tweeted:

HOT ROD
11-08-2005, 09:44 PM
yeah ....

what about us "outsiders", ha ha ha

I'd luv to see the rendering!! :)

Please scan/post METRO... Please...

metro
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
I'd love to if I had a scanner, if you guys want to take up a collection for a scanner for me, I'd love to upload you guys pictures

Doug Loudenback
11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, what about snail mail? Make a copy of the pic using a copier and send it to me at 200 N Harvey, STE 500, Okc 73102, and I'll do the scanning!?

Pete
11-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Here's the rendering and story from today's Oklahoman:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/hampton.jpg

Hotel . granted height variance; proposed facade draws concern

By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer

Developers of a proposed $20 million Bricktown Hampton Inn won approval Wednesday to exceed the district’s height limits, but also were warned against using an “EFIS,” or stucco siding.

The 10-story building, with rooms on nine floors topped by a storage penthouse, is to be built next year at 300 E Sheridan, immediately east of the Power Alley Parking Garage. Developers are the garage’s owner, Marsh Pitman, and Wisconsin-based Raymond Management.

The building’s total height, including a tower that will light up at night, EFIS on such a prominent building in Bricktown,” Yoeckel said. “I would to have think long and hard before compromising on the brick.”

Barry Perkel, director of real estate with Raymond Management, responded the use of more brick will increase the project’s cost and prevent the hotel’s goal of hitting a “price point” of $100 to $110 per room night. He also warned adding more brick could spur the removal of a reflecting pool and brick-paved drive at the entry.

Perkel acknowledged some EFIS construction wears out badly over time, but said his management group has had great success maintaining EFIS-sided buildings.

Yoeckel praised Perkel for submitting designs that exceed typical Hampton Inn standards, but said the committee will still frown on the use of EFIS. Scaramucci questioned whether approving a building with EFIS will set a precedent for future projects.

“This is a 100-year-old district,” Yoeckel said. “And we have to think about not just who will own it now, but who will own it in the future.”

Doug Loudenback
11-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks, Malibu! Looks good to me ... I'm pretty (100%) ignorant about the EFIS issue ... hopefully that will get resolved without sacrificing anything else planned.

Pete
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
It looks pretty nice for a Hampton Inn.

I think the stucco top would look better with more architectural detail, such as awnings.

However, the windows look cheap and plain.

Doug Loudenback
11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
It looks pretty nice for a Hampton Inn.

I think the stucco top would look better with more architectural detail, such as awnings.

However, the windows look cheap and plain.

You mean, as in "warehouse" windows? :LolLolLol

HOT ROD
11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Doug, I was thinking the same thing.

I mean, it does have to tie into the Bricktown theme (you know, warehouse).

jbrown84
11-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I like it. The stucco on the top two floors is a small enough percentage of the outside that it looks fine too me. I suppose it would look better if it were stone, but that's really expensive. Overall the design is even better than what I expected. Very urban look.

HOT ROD
11-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I like it. ..... Very urban look.

DEFINITELY,

its interesting to see these new developers bring something that we all want (or close) VS. HOGANs fair-lures. I only wish more of the current developers would do more projects! Let Lower Bricktown be Hogan's last development. Period.

Patrick
11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I agree! Most of the building would be brick, so the small amount of stucco wouldn't concern me. I do praise Avis and John for pushing for more brick though. Sounds like we're in good hands, as far as the Bricktown Urban Design Committee is concerned. Too bad they weren't required to approve designs in Lower Bricktown. Shame on OCURA for allowing Hogan to ruin that portion of downtown.

Patrick
11-10-2005, 11:49 PM
DEFINITELY,

its interesting to see these new developers bring something that we all want (or close) VS. HOGANs fair-lures. I only wish more of the current developers would do more projects! Let Lower Bricktown be Hogan's last development. Period.

All I have to say in regards to that comment is "I told you so." Not to you Hot Rod, but to OCURA and past city leaders like Kirk the jerk. Randy Hogan's idea of an urban development is a joke. Looks no different from his subpar work out at East Wharf, an area that had so much potential. Not all it has is a handful of restaurants and office space.......and a weak lighthouse, that most people from the coasts laugh at.

Back when Hogan was searching for tenants I was hoping OCURA would terminate the deal with him, and resubmit a request for development proposals. That didn't happen!

No we're left with a handful of buildings with black asphalt in between. Not very urban.

jbrown84
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah look at the other tread I posted of this new Wichita development. Way nicer shopping village type develpment and no parking lots.

Doug Loudenback
12-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Have there been any newer developments on the Hampton Inn project? I don't recall heraring of developments since November.

I'm in the beginning steps of revising my downtownOKC map located here at OkcTalk and at http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtownOKC.htm to accomodate some of the newer developments since that map was drawn, and to make the Bricktown area more true to scale. Among other things, this means inclusion of the Hampton Inn (and the under construction Residence Inn).

Please look at the Yahoo map below (with my added text and *). I have the address as 300 E Sheridan ... have I got the physical map location and the address right?

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/hamptoninnmap.gif

Any advice is appreciated!

windowphobe
12-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Well, that's certainly where 300 East Sheridan would be.

Doug Loudenback
12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I drove down to Bricktown mid-day to have a look. Yes, by the address and other descriptions provided, this does seem to be the place, to the left of the Pitman garage in this picture. Guess some will get a good look at the Redhawks when they are playing!

This pic looks SW from the North side of Sheridan.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/hamptonlocation.jpg

I also took a few pics of the progress of the Residence Inn, shown in another thread, http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?p=40096#post40096

metro
02-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Vote approves Hampton Inn for Bricktown

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City's Bricktown Urban Design Committee got most of what members asked for Wednesday as they gave full approval for revised plans for a Hampton Inn and Suites.
The committee, charged with ensuring that new construction and renovations fit the district's historic character, voted in November against designs that would have included "EIFS" -- an Exterior Insulation and Finish System or stucco siding -- on all the hotel's floors.

The new designs submitted Wednesday show an all-brick facade on the first seven floors but still have the stucco siding on the top two floors. To pay for the added brick, architect Gary Brink told committee members he had to eliminate a planned tower in the center of the hotel that would have been lit at night.

The hotel is being developed by Wisconsin-based Raymond Management and Marsh Pitman, owner of the adjoining Power Alley Parking Garage. Construction is set to begin by May and open by August 2007.

Committee members remained concerned about the use of stucco siding on the top two floors -- a material used in the facade of suites and press boxes at the neighboring SBC Bricktown Ballpark.

"We are setting a precedent," committee member John Yoeckel said. "If we approve this project, it will be a model for things to come."

Barry Perkel, director of real estate with Raymond Management, responded the project's budget already was "stretched" and reported they had also raised the hotel room "price point" from between $100 and $110 a night to $115 to $120 a night.

Perkel said the project's budget has risen from $20 million to more than $24 million because of construction cost hikes caused by Hurricane Katrina.

"We're at the very edge of this project not being done," Perkel said, when pressed about still using stucco siding on the top two floors. "I honestly think it's a less effective design if it's all brick -- there would be no contrast."

Committee members unanimously approved the designs, with one, Avis Scaramucci, saying she would be proud to have the proposed hotel a block away from her Nona's Restaurant and Painted Door gift shop.

Pitman assured the group the hotel will improve the downtown and Bricktown skyline.

"If every building built here on out is done with this quality, Bricktown will look very nice," Pitman said.

Midtowner
02-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Hampton Inn? Add a Wal-Mart and life will be complete. Heck.. some KFC's and Dollar Generals on the riverwalk and we'll be doing quite well.

Seriously.. this is just turning into a really nice strip mall.

Great that there are hotel rooms. Too bad they're going with a McHotel instead of waiting for someone to open up something that's somewhat unique.

John
02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
To pay for the added brick, architect Gary Brink told committee members he had to eliminate a planned tower in the center of the hotel that would have been lit at night.

Give me a freakin' break!

Why not just spend the extra money because you want a quality property?

Bricktown Urban Design Committee fails again. :mad:

Nuclear_2525
02-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't think they failed because they approved a Hampton Inn... Hampton Inn's aren't trashy hotels by any means. Obviously it's no Rennaisance, but I would stay at a Hampton Inn, especially one that looks like this one is going to, before I would stay at a Residence Inn, or Courtyard. The rooms are going to cost 115 to 120, I don't see how this is a negative thing for the area.

Doug Loudenback
02-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't think they failed because they approved a Hampton Inn... Hampton Inn's aren't trashy hotels by any means. Obviously it's no Rennaisance, but I would stay at a Hampton Inn, especially one that looks like this one is going to, before I would stay at a Residence Inn, or Courtyard. The rooms are going to cost 115 to 120, I don't see how this is a negative thing for the area.

I'm personally pleased.

BDP
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Too bad they're going with a McHotel instead of waiting for someone to open up something that's somewhat unique.

Click your heel three times and say "The Skirvin and the Colcord, The Skirvin and the Colcord, The Skirvin and the Colcord".

I'm not convinced that having it be all brick is worth losing the lighted tower section. We'll see...

I think as long as we're building dinky hotels, they're not going wow people. Our biggest chance for interesting properties has been and probably will continue to be renovations and coversions.

shane453
02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
The stucco was fine- you can't have a 10 story all-brick building- like the architect said, you need to break up the facade. I'm very disappointed with the removal of the tower- it would have added to the motif established over by the Miller Jackson builing with that lighted tower JDM Place.

The one architect that pays attention to surrounding elements- flat roof, brick, lighted tower- is the one that is driven nearly to the point of cancelling the project.

Nuclear_2525
02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
The stucco was fine- you can't have a 10 story all-brick building- like the architect said, you need to break up the facade. I'm very disappointed with the removal of the tower- it would have added to the motif established over by the Miller Jackson builing with that lighted tower JDM Place.

The one architect that pays attention to surrounding elements- flat roof, brick, lighted tower- is the one that is driven nearly to the point of cancelling the project.

They didn't end up removing the tower...they said that they would have had to if they wouldn't have put stucco on the top two floors. But since the planning committee passed it with stucco on the top two floors, then they were able to keep the lighted tower.

shane453
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought the original plan called for top 3 floor stucco, but they reduced it to top 2 floors, and because of the additional brick necessary they would have to remove the lighted tower.

"The new designs submitted Wednesday show an all-brick facade on the first seven floors but still have the stucco siding on the top two floors. To pay for the added brick, architect Gary Brink told committee members he had to eliminate a planned tower in the center of the hotel that would have been lit at night. "

The rendering shows no lighted tower.
:(

fromdust
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
thats too bad; i would have liked to seen a tower. something diffrent now its just blah again.

Midtowner
02-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Click your heel three times and say "The Skirvin and the Colcord, The Skirvin and the Colcord, The Skirvin and the Colcord".

I'm not convinced that having it be all brick is worth losing the lighted tower section. We'll see...

I think as long as we're building dinky hotels, they're not going wow people. Our biggest chance for interesting properties has been and probably will continue to be renovations and coversions.

Lower Bricktown should seriously consider renaming itself "McBricktown." What do y'all think?

BDP
02-10-2006, 07:24 AM
I thought the original plan called for top 3 floor stucco, but they reduced it to top 2 floors, and because of the additional brick necessary they would have to remove the lighted tower.

"The new designs submitted Wednesday show an all-brick facade on the first seven floors but still have the stucco siding on the top two floors. To pay for the added brick, architect Gary Brink told committee members he had to eliminate a planned tower in the center of the hotel that would have been lit at night. "

The rendering shows no lighted tower.

Yeah, that's how I read it. They forced them to get rid of the tower for one extra floor of brick. It sounds like everyone lost. They didn't even get rid of the stucco as they wanted and, yet, they managed to eliminate a distinguishing feature. They need to learn how to use their demands for leverage to gain something, not lose it.

metro
02-10-2006, 08:41 AM
No joke, the Bricktown Design Committee failed bigtime on this one. You can't leverage 2 floors of brick? Come on. The market is prime in Bricktown. There are currently no other hotels and the downtown market is well underserved. Who cares if it would cost X amount more, you'd make it over 10-fold in a few years. Good old boy politics at work again.

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 04:58 PM
True. I dont see why the tower needed to be eliminated.

Heck, since this is the case, Bricktown committee should have just gone with original since it had a tower and 7 floors of brick.

To lose the tower for only 1 additional floor of brick does not make sense to me!!!

keving
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
From the scanned picture, that "tower" doesn't seem to extend much beyond the top of the main structure. Does it really take that much brick for the "tower"?

Sounds like a cop-out to me.

shane453
02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't know, the tower was just an interesting feature. If they don't want to build it anymore because they're fed up with the design committee, I say we better leave them alone and let them get started. I think they were about to give up if it wasn't passed this time. Let's stop harassing the good builders and start chastising the ones who never get started on their work and ultimately produce crap.

Patrick
02-11-2006, 01:08 AM
I think you guys need to go back through and re-read the articles. The original plans (metro posted) called for 9 floors, with the lower 7 floor brick, and the upper 2 floors stucco, with the tower in the middle. Concerning the brick, that hasn't changed. I'm not sure where you guys are coming with this "added one floor of brick" idea. Now, about why the removed the tower....I think Steve left us a little confused in the article. It says they removed it to pay for the brick. But, it doesn't seem like there was any brick added.

Patrick
02-11-2006, 01:23 AM
From the way Steve's article is worded, it appears the original intent was for the entire building to be stucco. To pay for the brick for the lower 7 floors, the developer had to eliminate the tower.

Patrick
02-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Here's one that Raymond Management built in downtown St. Louis. Looks pretty similar:

http://www.hamptoninnstlouis.com/images/main_01.jpg

Here's one they're building in Idaho:

http://www.rayrmc.com/exported/BoiseCol.gif

We shouldn't complain. It could look like this:

http://www.hamptoninnmilwaukee.com/images/main_01.jpg

John
02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I like that they say without the stucco, there wouldn't be any contrast.

Ummm, last time time I checked, it was Bricktown. If you want contrast, use two different brick colors.

Nuclear_2525
02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Go back to page two, someone posted the pic of what the original plan was. 7 floors of brick and top two with stucco, and it includes the tower. That is why I am thinking that they aren't really planning on eliminating the tower, because they haven't added any brick. I am so confused with this whole thing. I do hope they plan on keeping the tower because if they do, it will be nicer than the St. Louis or the Idaho one.

shane453
02-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Why would they have gone to the trouble of producing a tower-less rendering for the paper then?

jbrown84
02-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Was there a towerless rendering? I never saw one.