View Full Version : Hampton Inn

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

metro
04-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I wonder why Cowan didn't mention Candlewood Suites.

kevinpate
04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
> didn't mention Candlewood Suites.

Perhaps it's not far enough along its progression to be noteworthy yet, or perhaps he doesn't consider it as being BT since it's east side of Lincoln. The latter would seem silly to me, but I'm not a spokesman for an area that's still defining itself. And perhaps there's another reason entirely.

metro
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Don't think it's the "progression" issue, because from what I understand, it's more a reality than the Holiday Inn Express that he did mention.

warreng88
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97812)

The other Bricktown hotel, a Courtyard by Marriott, has 225 rooms.

I am assuming they are talking about the hotel next to the Ford Center?

PLANSIT
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Still ridiculous to not include a few balconies (opera or standard) on that south side over looking the field.

LakeEffect
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't think it's the "progression" issue, because from what I understand, it's more a reality than the Holiday Inn Express that he did mention.

The Candlewood Suites pulled its application from the Bricktown Urban Design Committee... and the Holiday Inn Express has approval, so you might have that mixed around.

LakeEffect
04-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Still ridiculous to not include a few balconies (opera or standard) on that south side over looking the field.

It's all about liability and cost control nowadays...

soonerguru
04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm currently enjoying my night on the house. Beds are very comfy with great downtown views. Nice feel, overall. This is a very high quality property.

Caboose
04-17-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm currently enjoying my night on the house. Beds are very comfy with great downtown views. Nice feel, overall. This is a very high quality property.

I am here enjoying a free stay as well. Just thought I would log on and rub it in everyones face before I get ready to out. Rooms are nice, I have a suite on the top floor over looking the baseball game. Great view.

GWB
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I am here enjoying a free stay as well. Just thought I would log on and rub it in everyones face before I get ready to out. Rooms are nice, I have a suite on the top floor over looking the baseball game. Great view.

That is awesome! We stayed there when they first opened and we really enjoyed that place. Have fun!

BG918
04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
The Candlewood Suites pulled its application from the Bricktown Urban Design Committee... and the Holiday Inn Express has approval, so you might have that mixed around.

I must say that is good news! I don't mind the Holiday Inn Express, not the best design for sure but it's sort of tucked away on Main and is at least urban in form. The Candlewood was just awful, from the site plan to the actual design. Now if we can just get that fire station moved elsewhere, thus keeping the suburban design (for the time being) out of Bricktown..

And I know some have criticized the Hampton, but from an urban design standpoint I still think it's pretty good. A retail/restaurant space where the pool is would've been better, but the pool is still pretty interesting to see from the sidewalk, and its fit into a tight urban site is very good. Would've liked to see balconies too, maybe they can add them in the future?

GWB
04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I must say that is good news! I don't mind the Holiday Inn Express, not the best design for sure but it's sort of tucked away on Main and is at least urban in form. The Candlewood was just awful, from the site plan to the actual design. Now if we can just get that fire station moved elsewhere, thus keeping the suburban design (for the time being) out of Bricktown..

And I know some have criticized the Hampton, but from an urban design standpoint I still think it's pretty good. A retail/restaurant space where the pool is would've been better, but the pool is still pretty interesting to see from the sidewalk, and its fit into a tight urban site is very good. Would've liked to see balconies too, maybe they can add them in the future?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my wife and I stayed there one night right after they opened. Our room overlooked the ballpark and it was a really nice spacious room. We were disappointed that they didn't have balconies outside for people to watch the game. I can't help but wonder if they were concerned about someone trying to catch a ball, leaning a bit too far out, and possibly falling off the balcony. Wonder if that had anything to do with them not adding balconies? If something like that happened, everyone would always be referring to this hotel as, "the hotel where someone died trying to catch a baseball off the balcony". That certainly wouldn't be good publicity for their hotel, not to mention, the cost of a lawsuit that no doubt would come from this.