View Full Version : Cedar Terrace Club

kellydavidc
06-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Where was the Cedar Terrace Club in Oklahoma City? When did it close? I think it was in the area of Britton Road and Kelley but I couldn't find anything on the 1969 maps that I thought would be it. Thank you.

whorton
06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
I found an interesting advert from the Daily Oklahoman that may resolve your question. It was an ad on Saturday, July 08, 1939; Page: 3 that reads:

DANCING UNDER
THE STARS
-EVERY NIGHT-
Coolest Spot in Oklaand his Orcheshoma
Featuring Saturday Night
Howard Suesz
And his orchestra
At
"The Cedars"
5 miles North of the State Capitol
On the Edmond Road

The text on the copy picture is largely unreadable, as the Oklahoman elected to degrade the picture quality of its archives a few years ago. Here is the original ad. Also, I had looked back on a 1954 ariel at the Britton Road and Kelly location. There was nothing specific, but a possible location West of the intersection on the North side. I had no way to ascertain any other info about the place. But this ad, which I am thinking would have been Route 77 at Edmond Road may be more accurate.

whorton
06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Yet, a year earlier July 9, 1938, Page 7 featured this conflicting ad.

Which provides "At the intersection of Lincoln and Britton."

rezman
06-20-2018, 08:23 AM
The 1954 photo on Historic Aerials shows a large structure with parking lot and long curving driveway at the SW corner of Lincoln and Britton. Could this be it?

whorton
06-20-2018, 06:07 PM
No, sorry, that is (at the time) WKY' TV studio. . .(if you look to the south of the building, you can see their antenna. )

My thought was the place would need a good sized parking lot. There are a couple of places on the North side it could be, but it also occured to me that the '54 pic was taken 16 years after the ads I found. It may have burned, been torn down, or converted to something else. Until we can get more info, it is a mystery! I will try to get up to the historical society tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

I also notice the advert refers to "dancing under the stars," which leads me to believe it as an outdoor venue.

I do notice on the contemporary Google aerial / map of the area, there is a street called Cedar Lake Avenue and Cedar Lake Blvd to the east around Lindsey street on the North side of Britton. I wonder if they are related?