View Full Version : Village OK Happenings

Pages : [1] 2

Johnb911
06-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Figured I'd start a new thread in case anyone besides BarrettD and myself were interested in goings-on in The Village.

First up, the recent G.O. Bonds that are set to go out to market shortly. Will be funding all this work:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HvomLrOE6egFbtIGVWmXRv4zZ-Q&ll=35.56916939079455%2C-97.56032592504067&z=14

Mostly sidewalks and streets (including Britton road between May and Penn) and money to beef up each park in the city. Also a 10' wide multi-use path running along the north side of Britton from May to Lake Hefner Parkway (although I thought the plan was to extend this all the way to Penn)

This is all part of the Village Vision initiative that came about last year through lots of public interaction. The master plan is to boost the three main corridors (May, between Britton and Hefner, Britton, between Waverly and LHPkwy, and the Library/City Hall/Post Office area) by making them more walkable, interactive, and dense. Lots of good stuff in this plan that I am personally very excited about.

http://www.thevillageok.org/The%20Village%20Vision%20-%20Final%20Plan%20-%20DRAFT.pdf

Colbafone
06-01-2018, 12:33 PM
New sidewalks on Britton? I used to live RIGHT ON Britton across the street from The Village Christian Church, and there were sooooo many people that walked there. Which is awesome. There is a perpetual path in the grass from May to Penn from walkers. Glad to see them adding sidewalks. And most of the driveways have splintered where they meet Britton, so that will be nice for the homeowners. It will definitely suck to use Britton Rd. for some months there though.

OKCisOK4me
06-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Thank you for posting this. I looked through the PDF and this all looks very interesting but I do have one question? Why are they going to resurface a majority of neighborhood streets with asphalt when they've been concrete for a long time? Especially since they plan on resurfacing West Britton with concrete and it is currently asphalt.

barrettd
06-02-2018, 06:58 AM
This might get more attention if it were moved to the "Suburban and other OK communities" section. Good to see a thread for The Village, though!

Steven Myers
06-10-2018, 02:59 AM
Thank you for posting this. I looked through the PDF and this all looks very interesting but I do have one question? Why are they going to resurface a majority of neighborhood streets with asphalt when they've been concrete for a long time? Especially since they plan on resurfacing West Britton with concrete and it is currently asphalt.

Money and performance. Asphalt is cheaper to cover side roads. They're using concrete on Britton because it is a highly trafficked main thoroughfare and a 'snow' route'. Concrete will hold up better to plow trucks and heavy loads. Also, it looks better, in consideration of the Village Vision endeavor.

Johnb911
06-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Not sure what the plans are, but there's fencing up around the Shell station at Britton and May, and looks like they're digging up the tanks. That didn't take long.

Pete
06-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Not sure what the plans are, but there's fencing up around the Shell station at Britton and May, and looks like they're digging up the tanks. That didn't take long.

As a part of their lease, Circle C has to remove tanks.

My understanding is they are nearing a deal with a fast food establishment.

swilki
06-28-2018, 11:52 AM

It'd be news to me. Haven't seen anything about this project yet. They clearly aren't wanting to communicate much with anyone about their plans.

swilki
06-28-2018, 11:53 AM

It'd be news to me. Haven't seen anything about this project yet. They clearly aren't wanting to communicate much with anyone about their plans.

Johnb911
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Pete I didn't know what I was doing when I started this thread. Mind moving it to a more appropriate forum like Barrett suggested?

Pete
06-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Because the deal isn't signed yet.

Should be hearing more on this soon.

jennydahl
07-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Thank you for the Village thread! Would love to see more and contribute what we can... have lived here for 37 years. Husband was born and raised here.

jennydahl
07-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Drove by there today... several guys standing on the ramp talking, pointing here and there. One of the pickups was loaded with chain link fencing... may be getting ready to fence it off for the start of construction?

barrettd
07-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Drove by there today... several guys standing on the ramp talking, pointing here and there. One of the pickups was loaded with chain link fencing... may be getting ready to fence it off for the start of construction?

It's all fenced off as of this morning.

T. Jamison
08-02-2018, 09:58 AM
The property is listed as a retail ground lease or possible build to suit. I guess the fast food deal fell through.

barrettd
08-02-2018, 10:22 AM
The property is listed as a retail ground lease or possible build to suit. I guess the fast food deal fell through.

Who knows? Could be the owners/brokers just want to have their sign up while they work on a deal. Haven't heard anything about anything, yet.

Pete
08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm trying to find out more on if that particular deal fell through or if the property owner is just heading their bets.

Pete
08-02-2018, 11:38 AM
My understanding is the fast food deal is still on but the property owner is seeking backup opportunities in case it doesn't go through.

jennydahl
08-04-2018, 10:50 AM
I can't wait to see which fast-food joint will actually fit on that small space.

jennydahl
09-07-2018, 01:26 PM
:Bump:

Nothing yet?

Pete
09-09-2018, 05:12 AM
It seems the fast food deal for that corner is going sideways.

jennydahl
10-19-2018, 02:20 PM
I'm assuming the deal slid so far sideways that it went out of bounds. Any whispers of anything else for that corner?

Johnb911
11-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Masterplan for updating parks in The Village. Very excited for all this:

https://www.thevillageparks.com/plan?fbclid=IwAR042Iqa3oDv8EQGrIbZoEvjxP0OSLB26YG-XV4fRr4vqEPAe9Bi83Lksvc

swilki
11-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Thanks for posting this John, I was just headed over here to do the same.

Very excited about the possibilities in this new plan. We are really going through a transformation right now and I can't wait to see what the city looks like in the next 5-10 years (yes, I'm optimistic).

HangryHippo
11-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Looks pretty great. I think I'd like to see fewer structured areas, more grass fields/plants, but overall, very pleased.

Johnb911
11-09-2018, 01:29 PM
So I know in the release it says that not everything is funded. When will we know more about what will get built and what will have to wait?

swilki
11-09-2018, 02:23 PM
We have about $2 million from the bonds to start with. But yes, to fully fund everything it is going to cost much more. Our consultant is now doing some cost estimates so we know what we are looking at. Once we get those numbers, we can figure out a way forward.

OKCisOK4me
01-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Well, it's been entertaining, the last 2 days watching all the traffic exit Britton westbound between Penn and May cause they have no clue that the western half of Britton is closed bc they are starting construction.

I'm glad to see the construction start. Can't wait to see the final result.

jennydahl
01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
It's been something of a goat rodeo for sure... but things seem to have settled down a bit as outlanders have discovered that cutting through the Village via Village Drive and Carlton are not the most efficient ways to go - especially if they want to turn north off Carlton and Penn or south off Carlton and May. As soon as the police convince them that the speed limit of 35 doesn't carry over to the residential streets, all will be well. Those of us who are living here are just looking forward to the better roads.

swilki
06-23-2020, 07:38 AM
It's been a minute since an update was posted about new commercial developments in The Village and upcoming infrastructure/park improvements. If you all want to see any specific plans/pics, let me know. It was just a lot at once to post here.

COMMERICAL DEVELOPMENTS

Coulter Express Car Wash - We approved a PUD for this car wash at our last meeting which will be built immediately south of the OnCue on May. It will replace the old Ethan Allen store that has served as a youth/community center for the Baptist church for a number of years now. There only other location is off I-35 in Edmond. https://coulterexpress.com

HTeaO - A building permit was approved in May for the new to Oklahoma franchise. This will be one of their first stores in the state and will be located on the site of the old Manhattan Cleaners. It's a really interesting concept and I'm excited to see how it goes. All you iced tea drinkers can rejoice! https://www.hteao.com/

Offices on May - These will replace the old car wash that was next to the Dollar General on May. Two buildings, two stories each.

Offices on Hefner - These are being built on Hefner Rd. adjacent to the Chabad Jewish Community Center. Two buildings, two stories each.

Braums - Not new, but construction has finally started!

Old Circle K at May/Britton - The rumor mill is still well at work on this site. I've heard a couple of things but nothing official has come through. So stay tuned!

INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS

The council approved several projects in the city's capital budget and we will also begin the final round of 2018 GO Bond improvements this fall. The types of projects included in all of this are street resurfacing, sidewalk installation, drainage improvements, new and upgraded signalization projects (mainly May/Lakeside and Britton/Penn) and park improvements. Way too many things to list, but here's a map where I'm trying to track all of it. Anything in orange is slated to be completed this fiscal year. https://bit.ly/2U4UZZN

I try to get over here and post updates as I can. If you'd like a more regular update of what is going on, please go follow my page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/councilmembersonnywilkinson/

Plutonic Panda
06-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Thank you Mr. Wilkinson! These updates are super fun to read. It’s great to see momentum happening in the lesser talked about parts of town.

The Shadow
06-23-2020, 12:57 PM
I hear retail (cell phone) at Britton and May. Anything but another payday lender at that intersection.

HangryHippo
06-23-2020, 01:07 PM
It's been a minute since an update was posted about new commercial developments in The Village and upcoming infrastructure/park improvements. If you all want to see any specific plans/pics, let me know. It was just a lot at once to post here.

COMMERICAL DEVELOPMENTS

Coulter Express Car Wash - We approved a PUD for this car wash at our last meeting which will be built immediately south of the OnCue on May. It will replace the old Ethan Allen store that has served as a youth/community center for the Baptist church for a number of years now. There only other location is off I-35 in Edmond. https://coulterexpress.com

HTeaO - A building permit was approved in May for the new to Oklahoma franchise. This will be one of their first stores in the state and will be located on the site of the old Manhattan Cleaners. It's a really interesting concept and I'm excited to see how it goes. All you iced tea drinkers can rejoice! https://www.hteao.com/

Offices on May - These will replace the old car wash that was next to the Dollar General on May. Two buildings, two stories each.

Offices on Hefner - These are being built on Hefner Rd. adjacent to the Chabad Jewish Community Center. Two buildings, two stories each.

Braums - Not new, but construction has finally started!

Old Circle K at May/Britton - The rumor mill is still well at work on this site. I've heard a couple of things but nothing official has come through. So stay tuned!

INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS

The council approved several projects in the city's capital budget and we will also begin the final round of 2018 GO Bond improvements this fall. The types of projects included in all of this are street resurfacing, sidewalk installation, drainage improvements, new and upgraded signalization projects (mainly May/Lakeside and Britton/Penn) and park improvements. Way too many things to list, but here's a map where I'm trying to track all of it. Anything in orange is slated to be completed this fiscal year. https://bit.ly/2U4UZZN

I try to get over here and post updates as I can. If you'd like a more regular update of what is going on, please go follow my page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/councilmembersonnywilkinson/
Thanks, swilki! Your Facebook has been great for updates. Keep up the good work!

swilki
06-23-2020, 02:37 PM
I hear retail (cell phone) at Britton and May. Anything but another payday lender at that intersection.

Payday lenders can't operate in The Village per our zoning. The existing one is grandfathered in.

poe
06-23-2020, 05:12 PM
Good to see something like HTeaO heading into Oklahoma. In Amarillo, we have HTeaO, Water Still, and Texas Tea. They all offer pretty much the same type of merchandise and concept, but each has their own local following. I've been saying something like this would bank in OKC for years, so I'm glad it's happening.

Brett
11-10-2020, 08:21 AM
Has the HTeaO opened yet? :Smiley051

SEMIweather
11-14-2020, 08:10 PM
It hasn't but they seem to be pretty far along.

Plutonic Panda
06-19-2021, 05:06 PM
I was trying to find this page but was looking in the wrong thread. Mods should consider moving to.

Anyhow, I came across a proposed bike path soon to be underway and saw some pretty funny concerns:

“ Many residents of the Hawthorn neighborhood say bringing bikes through their neighborhood would be dangerous”

“ “Bicycles and people do not mix,” said Stephen Melsh, who lives on Hawthorn Dr. The proposed bike path goes right behind his house.”

https://kfor.com/news/proposed-bike-path-through-the-village-neighborhood-draws-controversy/

Dob Hooligan
06-19-2021, 06:48 PM
That Hawthorn development is this area that replaced some skanky apartments located west of Pennsylvania behind the Village library. It was somehow marketed as a place for older, divorced (more than widowed) expatriates of Nichols Hills and (even) Gaillardia. It is an odd place where old people parachute in and NIMBY like Edmond.

barrettd
07-07-2021, 11:19 AM
Our mayor announced May and Britton would have a Scooter's Coffee instead of a cell phone shop, so that's some good news.

unfundedrick
07-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Our mayor announced May and Britton would have a Scooter's Coffee instead of a cell phone shop, so that's some good news.

I have no idea how they decide how close to put their locations, but there is a Scooter's exactly 2 miles north at May and 122nd.

barrettd
07-08-2021, 06:49 AM
I have no idea how they decide how close to put their locations, but there is a Scooter's exactly 2 miles north at May and 122nd.

Yeah but there will also be 2 Starbucks a mile from each other near Memorial, so the coffee business must be booming these days.

Plutonic Panda
07-29-2021, 05:44 PM
This is hilarious but sad at the same time:

https://twitter.com/rdfogle/status/1420826575226953735?s=21

HangryHippo
07-29-2021, 05:58 PM
Jesus. I’m embarrassed for them.

Plutonic Panda
07-29-2021, 06:01 PM
Lol I’m just sitting here with an evil grin ready to go on my crime spree once I have bicycle access via a dedicated path

mugofbeer
07-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Lol I’m just sitting here with an evil grin ready to go on my crime spree once I have bicycle access via a dedicated path

First it's bikers you don't know. Next thing it will be roving bands of lesbians!

Bowser214
07-29-2021, 09:22 PM
Gawd, tell me you’re an Okie without telling me you’re an Okie

Plutonic Panda
07-29-2021, 09:23 PM
First it's bikers you don't know. Next thing it will be roving bands of lesbians!
Suddenly I’m intrigued with installing bike paths through my neighborhood.

Mississippi Blues
07-29-2021, 09:46 PM
Me and all my homies commit our crimes while riding on the 10ft bike path.

unfundedrick
07-29-2021, 10:32 PM
This is hilarious but sad at the same time:

https://twitter.com/rdfogle/status/1420826575226953735?s=21
This is not new news. I heard about this on KFOR over a month ago.
https://kfor.com/news/proposed-bike-path-through-the-village-neighborhood-draws-controversy/

You have to laugh at this:

“Bicycles and people do not mix,” said Stephen Melsh, who lives on Hawthorn Dr. The proposed bike path goes right behind his house.

Dob Hooligan
07-30-2021, 08:19 AM
These are not "Village People" that are complaining for the most part. They are retirees who moved into a new patio home community geared for the older buyer. They came from Nichols Hills, Gallardia, etc. with hopes of getting "classy" for cheaper.

The area probably has the nicest green belt in the Village, because it is built on a flood area. They don't want anyone besides themselves to use it.

Roger S
07-30-2021, 08:40 AM
I'm a biker and my fiance even started our own bicycle gang.... Granted there are only the 2 of us but we've been known to leave some tire marks in the grass on our Treks and we've almost had a few rumbles with the elderly group of incumbent riders out at Overholser.

BigSully
07-30-2021, 08:56 AM
I absolutely am going to stroll this bike path while smoking pot now.

Plutonic Panda
08-15-2021, 08:05 PM
https://okcfriday.com/village-considers-pedestrian-bridge-over-hefner-parkway-p16344-92.htm

I have to say though, with all the great improvements happening in the village the Britton road project was kinda of a let down. First they striped it 3 lanes with a turning lane for single family residences. There is no reason for that. People turning and slowing down traffic isn’t a bad thing in residential neighborhoods anyways. The road should be two lanes with a bike lane.

Not a fan of the lack of sidewalks on both sides either. They opted for a shared use path on only one side side of the street. Bikes should have their own facilities/lanes and sidewalks should be on both sides of the street.

barrettd
08-16-2021, 04:14 PM
I don't know that everyone was ever going to be happy with whatever was done on Britton. I wish that would have been a four lane stretch between May and Penn, but that apparently was never going to happen. I've only been down Britton a few times in the past month or so, but every time, there was some kind of vehicle parked on the multipath, blocking it from its intended use. I think it does drain better than it used to, though, which is a big deal.

Brett
10-12-2021, 01:29 PM

I noticed that the dirt work has started at the proposed Scooter's Coffee location at May & Britton.

barrettd
10-12-2021, 03:49 PM
I noticed that the dirt work has started at the proposed Scooter's Coffee location at May & Britton.

Yes and it seems like the Coulter Car Wash at Hefner is getting close to completion, I would think.

TheTravellers
07-19-2022, 09:44 AM
https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-village-mayor-resignation/40645948

Really sad if his allegations are true.

Libbymin
07-19-2022, 10:43 AM
Why on earth would people even be that upset with him to begin with? Terrible.

barrettd
07-19-2022, 11:06 AM
Who knows? I wish he had addressed it when it happened, own the mistake, so we could all move on. Unfortunate it ended this way, and there's no reason for the harassment he's faced, at all. I appreciated his contributions while on the city council, though.