View Full Version : Kerr Mcgee Bell Tower

roboticbrad
10-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Does anybody have a rendering of what its supposed to look like?
If so could you post the picture.

Thanks

Karried
10-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I tried to find a pic here but I haven't yet, here are the archive discussions: I'll keep looking.

http://www.okctalk.com/archive/index.php/t-412.html

metro
10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
I can get a picture, my friend is the one who is designing and implementing it

roboticbrad
02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
I heard their is a new rendering out for the bell tower. Does anybody know where I can find it?

jbrown84
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see it. It sounds like a great design.

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you for your kind comments. I have three renderings that I can provide to you. They are j-pegs. But how do I attach them? It won't let me.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 01:14 PM
If you put them on a hosting site like photobucket, you can link to them using IMG tags.

Luke
02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
try emailing them to me... i can host them

swooshou at yahoo

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Ok- there on there way to you.

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Good news! Todd has adjusted my settings so that I may be able to download my CADD files for you guys as J-Pegs. Here are the renderings. One of them (the plaza) rendering was featured in the Oklahoman this week. The other no one has seen yet of the tower with the skyline in the background. I hope you like them.

Todd
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
You can also upload them in the Photo Gallery.

Todd
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
If you do that the system will give you the BB photo insert code for your posts here or anywhere else.

Luke
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Here's the page with the two images...

http://homepage.mac.com/swooshou/PhotoAlbum6.html

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks to you both.

roboticbrad
02-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Here's the page with the two images...

http://homepage.mac.com/swooshou/PhotoAlbum6.html

thanks for that.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I really like the picture from across the river. It's a great angle on the skyline that I haven't really seen before, and the trees along the river will really look good in the spring/summer.

The belltower looks great too.

Urban Pioneer
02-20-2006, 07:40 AM

floater
02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bell tower supposed to be on the south bank of the river? If so, you shouldn't be able to see the skyline from the river perspective.

It is a cool-looking tower, though. I was afraid it'd be a traditional tower aka the Midtown clock tower. This one does have a nautical feel to it. I like the base and landscaping plan too.

Urban Pioneer
02-20-2006, 08:05 AM
No, the tower is depicted in the exact place that it will be installed. It is on the North shore next to the aqueduct running parallel to I-35. You should be able to see it from the highway when driving north.

metro
02-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey Urban, any word if the fountains will be installed too?

Patrick
02-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I only wish it was taller.

floater
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I only wish it was taller.

It is short.

Jack
02-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Most definitely. We need something huge with an observation deck on top.

Urban Pioneer
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
The tower is 50' tall. With the base, this will elevate it to
56'. This is due to the budget provided and power transmission lines in behind the tower. A large scale project has been discussed many times. However, no one has come up with the funding. It is my belief that a tower of the scale that you are describing should be installed as part of the new transportation hub that has been proposed for travelers on the new I-40 and possible future light rail. This type of confluence of travelers and tourists provides an ideal location for viewing and is a fitting resolution to the submerged I-40 crosstown that does not provide a view.

Another location would be as part of the proposed downtown central park. It could be the centerpiece for this park. Wherever it is located, large numbers of people need to have access to it through transportation.

The Kerr McGee Bell Tower is possibly only the beginning of several projects that welcome people traveling I-35. A master plan is in development and its scale represents the area, the high line issues, and is in keeping with the trail system. Also, the scale is such that it can be viewed correctly from the future river ferries coming later this year.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Since Kerr McGee is packing it in, does this mean that this project is dead in the water? Or if it does continue, perhaps they will cut the budget back and do away with the chimes that were going to ring every hour or what ever. Why do people think the rest of us want to listen to the noise produced by their monument 24/7?

metro
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I think it was already funded or if anything I'm sure they will stick with their committments and just speed up with the project. PM Urban Pioneer and he can tell you.

Urban Pioneer
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
This is project that is completely funded. In fact, the tower is already manufactured in sections and is in storage until the final preparations to the site have been made. It will be a absolutely beautiful anchor to a desolate area.

Also, there are very few houses in the area of the tower. The sound is controlled in each direction. I also plan to have the bells ring from 9 am to 9 pm so that they will not affect/disturb people nearby during the night.

I'm way ahead of you Old Downtown Guy.

metro
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
UrbanPioneer, can you update us with more as to the status of the project. How long will the electric lines, preparations are done so you can start erecting?

Urban Pioneer
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
OG+E is currently upgrading they're electrical service lines to 3 phase. This will take a month. We should begin site work/foundation for the tower within a month and half.

The city is currently debating on how much infrastructure they are going to pay for around the tower. How much they are going to invest in sidewalks, landscaping, irrigation, pavers, and decorative amenities. The centennial is trying to get them to commit to at least matching their dollars to make these improvements.

They are currently in negotiations regarding this.

As far as I am concerned, my goal is to have the tower up by the regatta event in October but will be affected directly by the amount of improvements the city commits to making.

This project is the eastern most terminus of the jogging trail and is almost the halfway point of the race course. It should be impressive and solidly anchor that area. Especially since it can be directly seen from the highway. Encourage your city contacts to donate and install amenities heavily.