View Full Version : Was the Depeche Mode show in Tulsa sold out?

Steven Myers
05-30-2018, 01:52 PM
I noticed that upper level tickets were going for $10 on stubhub days before the show and found lower level for $18 on the day of show. I wasn't able to go so I was wondering if it was a sell out or not. Every show listed on the tour wiki indicated a sell out up until then.

OkieHornet
05-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Visually it wasn't a sell-out, but many scattered empty seats. Maybe 75% full? Officially, I don't know how it will be reported, but am curious to see.

poe
05-31-2018, 05:14 PM
DM is my favorite band; saw them in Dallas a few years ago, and it was definitely a great show. Glad they're still making music and touring.

pw405
05-31-2018, 05:42 PM
There were certainly some empty seats, but no lack of energy or enthusiasm from the crowd. For a Tuesday night following a holiday weekend in Tulsa, pretty good turnout overall:

The significant other considered this show a matter of life or death... so lets just say I paid WAY more for tickets than $18.

:mad:

https://i.imgur.com/6oO7Zh0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/duhXNYL.jpg

Swake
06-01-2018, 09:47 AM
The floor and lower bowl were full except for some seats at the far end. The upper bowl was mostly full on the sides but pretty empty at the end. I'd say 80% full.

But, DM probably only had half the size of the crowd for U2 a couple of weeks ago because the arena was configured differently. DM had seats on the floor instead of standing room only and U2 sold the seats to side and even behind the stage and it was still full.

Some of the softness in prices was probably due to having these two concerts so close together and U2 was so damn expensive. Full price tickets for u2 were easily double that of DM. In a lot of cases triple.

Steven Myers
06-01-2018, 09:57 PM
The floor and lower bowl were full except for some seats at the far end. The upper bowl was mostly full on the sides but pretty empty at the end. I'd say 80% full.

But, DM probably only had half the size of the crowd for U2 a couple of weeks ago because the arena was configured differently. DM had seats on the floor instead of standing room only and U2 sold the seats to side and even behind the stage and it was still full.

Some of the softness in prices was probably due to having these two concerts so close together and U2 was so damn expensive. Full price tickets for u2 were easily double that of DM. In a lot of cases triple.

Tickets prices for Depeche Mode crashed hard about a week before the show when resellers realized that interest was low. Upper level were $10 WITH FEES INCLUDED on Stubhub. Official Ticketmaster tickets were selling for 50 plus fees for upper. Big difference. Lowers were around 100 on TM. So $18 is ridiculous. Depeche had just played a show in Mexico City to 130,000 people. The ninth largest crowd for an individual band in history. That's what I read anyway. I skipped it because as much as I love their music Dave just doesn't sound that good to me live anymore. Neither does Martin.

TheTravellers
06-02-2018, 11:59 AM
... Depeche had just played a show in Mexico City to 130,000 people. The ninth largest crowd for an individual band in history. That's what I read anyway....

And this is what baffles me about OK's concert scene (OKC specifically, don't know that much about Tulsa - bands that play huge crowds elsewhere just don't get anywhere close to that here in OK. Stevie Wonder a few years ago at Chesapeake is another example - fantastic band with him, he's a complete total legend, yet the 300 level was closed off and the 200 level was only maybe half full (100 and floor were fairly full). WTH?

Swake
06-02-2018, 03:07 PM
And this is what baffles me about OK's concert scene (OKC specifically, don't know that much about Tulsa - bands that play huge crowds elsewhere just don't get anywhere close to that here in OK. Stevie Wonder a few years ago at Chesapeake is another example - fantastic band with him, he's a complete total legend, yet the 300 level was closed off and the 200 level was only maybe half full (100 and floor were fairly full). WTH?

So far this year the BOk Center is the ranked the number seven concert arena in the United States and number 24 in the world by number of tickets sold.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/music/pollstar-bok-center-no-arena-in-united-states/article_4b285f54-7ca0-5957-a063-5eaeb18e7b88.html

The Cain's is also ranked number 24 in the world for club venues with less than 3,000 seats.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/downtown/cain-s-ballroom-no-worldwide-in-first-quarter-club-venue/article_8149d1f0-b621-5cff-8fab-9f50d3bb24db.html

Tulsa sells plenty of tickets.

Urbanized
06-02-2018, 05:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed. That said, a good chunk of their ticket buyers come from OKC, myself included. They also benefit from proximity to Fort Smith, Joplin, Wichita, etc. Based on shows I go to and people I run into, I wouldn't be surprised if the OKC portion of their sales was maybe 1 in 5 tickets or even higher. We (and others) prop up their market a bit, but at the end of the day they are historically very good at selling shows, period.

Another thing in their defense is that historically they get a ton of weeknight and even early week shows. Often they are an in-between bookings when a band is travelling between weekend shows in places like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Kansas City, Denver, etc.. For instance, Depeche Mode was on a Tuesday night (which not only keeps away Tulsans but even more so keeps away people from OKC, Fort Smith, Wichita, etc.). OKC suffers the same fate. When Depeche Mode played Dallas last September it was a Friday night. Dallas is going to sell a ton more anyway owing to the fact that they have seven times Tulsa's population, but it is DEFINITELY easier to sell Friday night and Saturday night shows than Tuesday night shows.