View Full Version : Does your cellphone listen to you

Pages : [1] 2

Eric
05-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Facebook accused of conducting mass surveillance through its apps (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/24/facebook-accused-of-conducting-mass-surveillance-through-its-apps)

I have always thought my cellphone was somehow funneling my conversations to advertisers, as it has happened on way to many occasions that a discussion I have had (not a phone call or something actually utilizing the device) invariably results in a particularly related ad. Two days ago I was discussing a recent trip to Chicago (2 years ago actually so it's not like my internet activity has anything related in a while), and some of the good places to eat there. Within the day I see an add for a travel site touting good restaurants in Chicago. Wife yells at me to add a certain kind of cereal that we never get to the shopping list. Bam, ad in Facebook for said cereal. Wife talks to me about shopping for a flower girl dress for our daughter, you guessed it, vendors that carry those types of dresses start peppering our feeds. None of the conversations took place over the phone, but our phones were always nearby. And none of these instances in particular has any internet activity to coincide with it. So basically a new idea/discussion was the only evidence. I'm no conspiracy nut, but this is pretty strange to happen so often.

jn1780
05-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Facebook accused of conducting mass surveillance through its apps (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/24/facebook-accused-of-conducting-mass-surveillance-through-its-apps)

I have always thought my cellphone was somehow funneling my conversations to advertisers, as it has happened on way to many occasions that a discussion I have had (not a phone call or something actually utilizing the device) invariably results in a particularly related ad. Two days ago I was discussing a recent trip to Chicago (2 years ago actually so it's not like my internet activity has anything related in a while), and some of the good places to eat there. Within the day I see an add for a travel site touting good restaurants in Chicago. Wife yells at me to add a certain kind of cereal that we never get to the shopping list. Bam, ad in Facebook for said cereal. Wife talks to me about shopping for a flower girl dress for our daughter, you guessed it, vendors that carry those types of dresses start peppering our feeds. None of the conversations took place over the phone, but our phones were always nearby. And none of these instances in particular has any internet activity to coincide with it. So basically a new idea/discussion was the only evidence. I'm no conspiracy nut, but this is pretty strange to happen so often.

Your phone is always listening to you because of the voice assistant. As long as the Mic is always on listening for a keyword, it's always possible that your conversation is being sent to a search engine. Of course, we all know google analytics is used to target ads when browsing.

HangryHippo
05-24-2018, 10:36 AM

It sounds crazy, but I’ve noticed this as well. It’s creepy.

Stew
05-24-2018, 10:38 AM
One day I was at Home Depot with my sweetie talking about how the wheels on my office chair are marring the floor and could the wheels be replaced. I said I don't know seems like a rather vendor specific item. Probably need to buy a new chair. A couple days later I was browsing Amazon.com where I found in my recommendations list office chair casters and discovered it was somewhat a standard item among chair manufactures. I never researched the topic of office chair wheels online . Although it sort of freaked me out I must say those office chair casters I ordered from Amazon are freaking awesome and scored some big points with the love of my life. I'm not sure if the phone is listening or if Amazon employs clairvoyants but either way I'm okay with it. These wheels are awesome.

Eddie1
05-24-2018, 11:43 AM
I remember at my conceal/carry course last year the instructor said if you ever call 9-1-1 from a cell phone the phone continues to "listen" even after you hang up for a period of time...not sure if this is true or not.

BBatesokc
05-24-2018, 11:57 AM
I remember at my conceal/carry course last year the instructor said if you ever call 9-1-1 from a cell phone the phone continues to "listen" even after you hang up for a period of time...not sure if this is true or not.

Not sure what the instructor is saying. Once you disconnect the call (mobile or not) the call is terminated. So, I don't know who is listening. If he's saying the phone itself is still "listening" you'd need that data/audio be going somewhere. So, I call BS.

As for your phone listening and broadcasting to potential advertisers. The technology is 100% available for that, but i don't believe it's actually happening. All of the evidence at this point is anecdotal and people are easily persuaded. If it was true, then you should see this in your data usage. How else is this constant stream of data being sent to their advertisers. Additionally, this rumor has been out there for awhile and, if true, there are multitudes of people who would gain by exposing this - and yet that hasn't happened.

OKCRT
05-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Your phone is always listening to you because of the voice assistant. As long as the Mic is always on listening for a keyword, it's always possible that your conversation is being sent to a search engine. Of course, we all know google analytics is used to target ads when browsing.

I have been hearing that many of these new smart TVs are also listening in. That I can believe

jn1780
05-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Speaking of listening devices.
https://www.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974

TheTravellers
05-24-2018, 03:09 PM
This episode of the last season of X-Files pretty much made me not want automated houses, cars, vacuums, anything...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rm9sbG93ZXJz

Rover
05-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Yes, we know microwave ovens are listening to us. I believe the Donald told us so.

jn1780
05-24-2018, 07:07 PM
This episode of the last season of X-Files pretty much made me not want automated houses, cars, vacuums, anything...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rm9sbG93ZXJz

There is malicious apps/code out that exploits these technologies in phones. Its not completely crazy.

Steven Myers
05-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Not sure what the instructor is saying. Once you disconnect the call (mobile or not) the call is terminated. So, I don't know who is listening. If he's saying the phone itself is still "listening" you'd need that data/audio be going somewhere. So, I call BS.

As for your phone listening and broadcasting to potential advertisers. The technology is 100% available for that, but i don't believe it's actually happening. All of the evidence at this point is anecdotal and people are easily persuaded. If it was true, then you should see this in your data usage. How else is this constant stream of data being sent to their advertisers. Additionally, this rumor has been out there for awhile and, if true, there are multitudes of people who would gain by exposing this - and yet that hasn't happened.

This is happening through my home internet connection. After seeing a report on CBS news about people experiencing this I tested it out by talking about something specific and then that exact topic showed up in my Youtube suggested videos within 5 minutes. I said out loud with my tablet on and nearby that I was worried about being in a plane crash and immediately "how to survive a plane crash" showed up in my feed. I am not in reality concerned about that and have never done a search for such a thing. That is not a coincidence. It makes perfect sense that businesses would utilize this technology. Plenty of companies have done things that are shady to give themselves an edge. Cambridge Analytica ring a bell?

Rover
05-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Wow. I need to ask for my money back. I keep trying to repeat this with both Siri and Alexis and don’t get any responses like you claim. Maybe they are just listening to special people.

Steven Myers
05-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Wow. I need to ask for my money back. I keep trying to repeat this with both Siri and Alexis and don’t get any responses like you claim. Maybe they are just listening to special people.

Why are you such an angry person? Do you feel it is your right to insult people at will on this forum? Because it's not.

stile99
05-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Why are you such an angry person? Do you feel it is your right to insult people at will on this forum? Because it's not.

Welcome to OKCTalk, Steven. In your time here (and I do hope you stay), you'll learn who can often be a valuable resource, who you can ignore for the most part, and who you can actually put on ignore because they'll NEVER have anything to contribute. I think you're already well on your way into making the needed classifications, congrats.

As for the topic of apps secretly listening in...I don't do the Facebook thing, so that might be why I don't see it. What I do see is if I search almost anything on Google, I'll see ads for that or something related. Search for info on a hotel, Google decides I need a vacation (OK, not gonna argue with that one, Google) and starts showing me hotels, cruises, vacation packages, etc. Search for info on a car, and I get flooded with ads for every make and model, not just the one I looked up. My phone does not appear to be spying on me, nor do my Google Mini or Amazon Echo. But my browser sells me out on the reg. Just last week, after ignoring it for years, Google finally eliminated "Don't be evil" from their credo.

jn1780
05-25-2018, 07:27 AM
I kind of expect that in a lot of these cases, the phone or google home, alexa is "accidentally" listening to you. Those few seconds your phone thinks your talking to it, your voice is being converted to a text string and sent to a search engine for processing.

They don't need to spy on you through their phone, people freely give up their information all the time.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/24/technology/alexa-secret-recording/index.html

Rover
05-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Didn't insult anyone. Just saying none of what I say at home turns into ads or leads on my other computers, pads or phones. So, it must not be universal if it is indeed happening. If others believe it is happening and want to report it great, but others who are reading should also know it isn't a universal plot/conspiracy or it is selective in who it listens too. If you take that as angry, so be it. But carte blanch accepting is as naive as I must seem to you as angry. If truth isn't important, than I guess my anger is justified.

Rover
05-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Welcome to OKCTalk, Steven. In your time here (and I do hope you stay), you'll learn who can often be a valuable resource, who you can ignore for the most part, and who you can actually put on ignore because they'll NEVER have anything to contribute. I think you're already well on your way into making the needed classifications, congrats.

As for the topic of apps secretly listening in...I don't do the Facebook thing, so that might be why I don't see it. What I do see is if I search almost anything on Google, I'll see ads for that or something related. Search for info on a hotel, Google decides I need a vacation (OK, not gonna argue with that one, Google) and starts showing me hotels, cruises, vacation packages, etc. Search for info on a car, and I get flooded with ads for every make and model, not just the one I looked up. My phone does not appear to be spying on me, nor do my Google Mini or Amazon Echo. But my browser sells me out on the reg. Just last week, after ignoring it for years, Google finally eliminated "Don't be evil" from their credo.
There is a Google Analytics opt out add-on available. Runs on Chrome.

Or. you can run a TOR browser.

When I said earlier people are naive, I meant that the general using public doesn't take advantage of the things available to them and don't look for them. When you do things and use things purely for convenience and do do the work to investigate, then it is easy to be taken advantage of. A little homework goes a long way.

BBatesokc
05-25-2018, 03:16 PM
This is happening through my home internet connection. After seeing a report on CBS news about people experiencing this I tested it out by talking about something specific and then that exact topic showed up in my Youtube suggested videos within 5 minutes. I said out loud with my tablet on and nearby that I was worried about being in a plane crash and immediately "how to survive a plane crash" showed up in my feed. I am not in reality concerned about that and have never done a search for such a thing. That is not a coincidence. It makes perfect sense that businesses would utilize this technology. Plenty of companies have done things that are shady to give themselves an edge. Cambridge Analytica ring a bell?

100% guarantee it's not really happening. At least not how it's being discussed here on this thread.

Is it possible? Yes. Would it be of value to advertisers? Yes. Is it happening on any large or measurable scale? No.

This has been tested to death. The fact is people are very easily convinced of things that simply are not true.

This could easily be discovered forensically if it was happening. Fact is, everyone relies on the "it's possible" and then some anecdotal story to try and force the issue into being a fact.

stile99
05-25-2018, 03:56 PM
There is a Google Analytics opt out add-on available. Runs on Chrome.

Or. you can run a TOR browser.

When I said earlier people are naive, I meant that the general using public doesn't take advantage of the things available to them and don't look for them. When you do things and use things purely for convenience and do do the work to investigate, then it is easy to be taken advantage of. A little homework goes a long way.

The thing is, I really don't give a pile of rat feces if Google thinks I'm in the market for a cruise or a Nissan Altima. The ads I can't block I've become rather adept at ignoring, other than for amusement value. I'll never be taken advantage of, because the odds of me seeing an ad for an African safari and thinking "Holy crap, I gotta do that!" are precisely zero, which is why I don't bother going out of my way.

Steven Myers
05-25-2018, 07:31 PM

Thanks stile99! That's good insight.

Rover
05-26-2018, 09:27 AM
100% guarantee it's not really happening. At least not how it's being discussed here on this thread.

Is it possible? Yes. Would it be of value to advertisers? Yes. Is it happening on any large or measurable scale? No.

This has been tested to death. The fact is people are very easily convinced of things that simply are not true.

This could easily be discovered forensically if it was happening. Fact is, everyone relies on the "it's possible" and then some anecdotal story to try and force the issue into being a fact.

Good comments. There are whole sects in our society who are totally convinced of all the dark things others are willing to spread and propagandize. There are real concerns about privacy, but it isn’t always regarding the people many think it is or happening how people think. Often it is obscured in laws and policies out in the open which people overlook for other dogmatic reasons. Best defense is being well informed (with TRUTHS) and a public interested enough to vote at a local level.

turnpup
05-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Sort of on topic...I've seen more than a few people who have placed tape or a post-it over their computer cameras.

Laramie
05-26-2018, 11:14 AM
We've heard something similar to this about the flat screen television spying on your activities in the home; particularly in the bedroom. :lol2:

Just don't believe that our cyber technology has gotten to this point. Meanwhile, if your insecurity gets the best of you, cover your camera on your desk or laptop when exploring the internet. :D

You will see ads related to things you search thru the various search engines show up on various sites.

TheTravellers
05-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Sort of on topic...I've seen more than a few people who have placed tape or a post-it over their computer cameras.

Yep, I've done it on my work and home laptops, they can be turned on remotely if your system has been hacked/malwared/spywared, etc., that's a proven fact.

wunderkind
05-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Not sure its the same thing, but related.
a graphic advertisement (for cantaloupe) appeared after I had purchased that at Uptown Market yesterday.

The ad was from Uptown Market. I had never searched for it, nor for anything involving Uptown.
So, the fact I had purchased cantaloupe that day at Uptown... info must be from my credit card?

Screenshot:

stile99
05-27-2018, 06:54 AM
I'm not in the payment processing industry, have rather little interest in it and have done even less research, but based on my own personal experience, your credit card has no idea whatsoever what you bought. All they know is Uptown Market asked them for x number of dollars. Your credit card determined this was within your credit limit and authorized the transaction, with no details of the transaction.

Now, if Uptown Market has a loyalty card, the purpose of those is to sell your info to everyone who'll buy it...but it really wouldn't make sense to target you for something you already bought.

wunderkind
05-27-2018, 07:30 AM
I ran across this:
http://www.sitepronews.com/2017/05/25/google-to-start-tracking-your-offline-purchases/

Rover
05-27-2018, 08:43 AM
I'm not in the payment processing industry, have rather little interest in it and have done even less research, but based on my own personal experience, your credit card has no idea whatsoever what you bought. All they know is Uptown Market asked them for x number of dollars. Your credit card determined this was within your credit limit and authorized the transaction, with no details of the transaction.

Now, if Uptown Market has a loyalty card, the purpose of those is to sell your info to everyone who'll buy it...but it really wouldn't make sense to target you for something you already bought.
Credit card company knows that you bought stuff at a grocery store and where, but not particular items. Some of the comments on here are like those regarding horoscopes in the newspaper. Have you ever noticed they always apply to you. Lol.

wunderkind
05-27-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm not paranoid (seriously) and haven't read a horoscope in 20 years. Never felt they had any value.

Just trying to understand, if I hadn't been in Uptown Market in two months, and went in yesterday, purchased cantaloupe, and later that same day an advertisement for Uptown Market featuring cantaloupe appeared....

coincidence?

wunderkind
05-27-2018, 09:10 AM
I've not used an Uptown loyalty card, if they have one.

from Yahoo news:
(excerpt from article)

Google’s new service, called Google Attribution, will allow the company to track offline consumer purchasing activity in a means to improve success rates for advertisers.
The firm will leverage third-party partnerships that reportedly give it access to 70% of US credit and debit card transactions, as well as its own tools like Maps, to figure out when consumers visit a retail store and make a purchase. It will then match that batched data to users who saw ads for specific products to figure out if those exposed to ads were buying those offerings offline. It's worth noting that physical retail still dwarfs e-commerce, so this could be particularly useful.

This could be an affront to consumer privacy at a time when concern is at a high. Google asserts that the information is protected — for example, the tech company can see that 1,000 people went to a restaurant they were served an ad for, but not which people, according to CNN Money. But security experts remain concerned, because of how challenging it is to truly mask data. And rightfully so, because consumer privacy concerns are at an all-time high — only half of consumers trust businesses to protect their payments information. This distrust is largely a result of high-profile breaches over the past several years in a number of settings, including Target and JPMorgan Chase, that have contributed to rising overall identity fraud in the US and worldwide.
But it’s illustrative of why gathering payments information is valuable to tech companies. This is an indirect method for Google, since it relies on partnerships and numerous data sources. But tech companies have increasingly been making direct payments plays, like peer-to-peer (P2P) offerings or commerce opportunities in apps like Facebook Messenger.

BI Intelligence has long noted that this could have a clear advertising use case, especially since the payments themselves aren’t particularly profitable — by gleaning information about consumer purchasing behaviors, these companies can give data to advertisers that allow them to more precisely target potential consumers, for example. Google’s actions point to that, and if the backlash isn’t too strong, this could lead to more tech commerce plays moving forward.

Again, I'm not really concerned, just found it impressive, how keen they are.

Laramie
05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
I ran across this:
http://www.sitepronews.com/2017/05/25/google-to-start-tracking-your-offline-purchases/

This most of us experience especially if you use Google; they are known for tracking purchases & related items. Now can they read your mind; that gets us into 21st Century witchcraft.

Urbanized
05-27-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm not paranoid (seriously) and haven't read a horoscope in 20 years. Never felt they had any value.

Just trying to understand, if I hadn't been in Uptown Market in two months, and went in yesterday, purchased cantaloupe, and later that same day an advertisement for Uptown Market featuring cantaloupe appeared....

coincidence?
Just shooting from the hip based on what I’ve read - including the link you provided above - or know from using targeted online advertising over the years, but depending on your privacy/location settings it’s possible - even likely - that Google knew you went to Uptown Market. It’s also possible - even likely - that they know you made a purchase there. I think it’s less likely that they know you purchased cantaloupe, unless of course you took a photo of it, texted someone about it (especially via a a Google product like Hangouts), posted about it on social media, etc, in which case all bets are off.

What is most likely is that they knew you went to Uptown Market, and also coincidentally Uptown Market made a great buy on cantaloupe and are pushing it hard both in the stores and online. Since they were pushing it inside the store you responded by checking out the cantaloupe. You liked the deal in the store and bought some.

Separately, because Google knows you went to the store and because Uptown Market is doing targeted ads to people who they know already visit there (based on location and other data), you got the ad. And since they’re pushing cantaloupe you got an ad for cantaloupe. You also did NOT get an ad for a bunch of stuff you also bought. Also, a bunch of other people who’ve visited there recently but NOT brought cantaloupe also...got an ad for cantaloupe. It just seems stranger to you because you are one of the people who happened to buy cantaloupe while you were there, and also because you ran across this discussion. These coincidences combine to make it SEEM even more remarkable than it actually is.

Urbanized
05-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Also by the way, we are ALL now more likely to see the ad in question, because we are now in a thread which discusses Uptown Market...and cantaloupe.

wunderkind
05-27-2018, 01:09 PM
"And since they’re pushing cantaloupe you got an ad for cantaloupe."

Makes sense. That part was a coincidence. (that I visited store/purchased something, and it is something they're running a special on = ad).

TheTravellers
05-27-2018, 02:04 PM
I've not used an Uptown loyalty card, if they have one.

Uptown doesn't have a loyalty card system.

BBatesokc
05-29-2018, 06:45 AM

I do the same with mine. The camera built into my laptops and desktops is not something I ever use. Plus, unfortunately, over the years, because of my activism, I've been targeted by individuals who have recruited others to hack my personal computers and even home surveillance system.

The most notable was a California human trafficker named Taquarius Ford. He was actively paying hackers on the dark web to take down my website and hack my home computers and security camera system - after I outed him and his operation. Fortunately two different hackers contacted me and sent me copies of the emails he had sent them. Also, fortunately, he was using stolen credit card numbers to pay people. The FBI eventually got involved. He is now serving time in a federal prison for trafficking.

Most recently, a 19-year Boy Scott named Cheyenne Edgemon (using the alias 'Night Shade') was trying to extort a Scout Leader with an IT background to hack into my computers at my house. Extremely weird story - I wrote about it on my JohnTV website (http://www.johntv.com/blog/2016/cheyenne-edgemon-stalking). He was eventually charged with 6-counts of felony computer crimes and one count of stalking. I believe he is in the RID program for youthful offenders now.

So, because of all this, I also disconnected my primary surveillance camera system from the Internet (16 cameras). My secondary system of Internet enabled cameras (8) have a privacy mode that points the cameras back at the wall - so you know nobody is hacking in and watching them.

Gotta love technology!

turnpup
05-29-2018, 09:08 AM
I do the same with mine. The camera built into my laptops and desktops is not something I ever use. Plus, unfortunately, over the years, because of my activism, I've been targeted by individuals who have recruited others to hack my personal computers and even home surveillance system.

The most notable was a Florida human trafficker named Taquarius Ford. He was actively paying hackers on the dark web to take down my website and hack my home computers and security camera system - after I outed him and his operation. Fortunately two different hackers contacted me and sent me copies of the emails he had sent them. Also, fortunately, he was using stolen credit card numbers to pay people. The FBI eventually got involved. He is now serving time in a federal prison for trafficking.

Most recently, a 19-year Boy Scott named Cheyenne Edgemon (using the alias 'Night Shade') was trying to extort a Scout Leader with an IT background to hack into my computers at my house. Extremely weird story - I wrote about it on my JohnTV website (http://www.johntv.com/blog/2016/cheyenne-edgemon-stalking). He was eventually charged with 6-counts of felony computer crimes and one count of stalking. I believe he is in the RID program for youthful offenders now.

So, because of all this, I also disconnected my primary surveillance camera system from the Internet (16 cameras). My secondary system of Internet enabled cameras (8) have a privacy mode that points the cameras back at the wall - so you know nobody is hacking in and watching them.

Gotta love technology!

Good gracious! But yes, in your line of work it's probably to be expected and I guess you get used to it. For you, being paranoid is a good thing.

jerrywall
05-29-2018, 10:56 AM
This whole thread makes me paranoid about my video doorbell, but at least it faces outside.

I've covered my laptop webcam with tape for years.

BBatesokc
05-29-2018, 12:13 PM
This whole thread makes me paranoid about my video doorbell, but at least it faces outside.

I've covered my laptop webcam with tape for years.

Just don't walk outside naked and bend over to get your paper - it's being streamed live somewhere - probably here! (http://www.insecam.org/en/byrating/)

hoya
05-30-2018, 01:27 PM

I can barely be bothered to put pants on when I answer the door. I'm not going to mess with hiding from my computer camera.

If someone really wants to see me naked, they can just look over the fence into my back yard.

turnpup
05-31-2018, 10:03 AM
I must admit that I actually thought about this thread when I got up in the middle of the night as it was storming to check the radar loop on my computer.

Steven Myers
05-31-2018, 01:08 PM

Thanks for being there to tell me what really is and isn't happening in my life, Bryan. 100% guarantee too. That's a great offer! I feel better knowing you have it all under control for me. I'll be sure to consult with you next time I need some deep insight into the nebulous, like where the best hookers hang out.

Steven Myers
05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Credit card company knows that you bought stuff at a grocery store and where, but not particular items. Some of the comments on here are like those regarding horoscopes in the newspaper. Have you ever noticed they always apply to you. Lol.

I read my horoscope today. It said "Watch out for jerks that like to push other people around." Noted.

Thomas Vu
05-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks for being there to tell me what really is and isn't happening in my life, Bryan. 100% guarantee too. That's a great offer! I feel better knowing you have it all under control for me. I'll be sure to consult with you next time I need some deep insight into the nebulous, like where the best hookers hang out.

The answer, in my limited experience, is the Amsterdam red light district.

Steven Myers
05-31-2018, 01:23 PM

If it's good enough for Van Halen...

Stew
05-31-2018, 01:25 PM

You might be right but to be honest I was way too awkward to do anything other than take quick glimpses and then slump in embarrassment.

Jersey Boss
05-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Nevada is closer and you don't need a passport plus you're keeping your money in the USA

Thomas Vu
05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Nevada is closer and you don't need a passport plus you're keeping your money in the USA

All good points.

If I bothered to ask for the rates, I might have given it a go. Definitely wasn't embarrassed. Was also doing recreational stuff while in the district ahaha

jerrywall
05-31-2018, 02:44 PM
I can barely be bothered to put pants on when I answer the door. I'm not going to mess with hiding from my computer camera.

If someone really wants to see me naked, they can just look over the fence into my back yard.

Well, pretty sure no one wants to see me naked besides my wife when she's feeling generous so I'm probably safe there. Fence went down last night in the storms so the back yard is out for me.

Urbanized
05-31-2018, 09:04 PM
This thread took an odd turn.

GoThunder
05-31-2018, 09:17 PM
I don’t have any evidence for or against this, though I do have several anecdotal instances of something like this occurring. Just today at lunch I was talking with a client and she mentioned building a deck in her backyard last summer. We talked about it for a minute or two and moved on. I have never built a deck, nor have I ever researched anything deck-related. About an hour after this conversation occurred I opened Twitter and lo and behold the “sponsored” tweets (ads) on my feed were from Lowe’s and other home improvement vendors promoting deck materials. I am on Twitter pretty often and have viewed countless sponsored tweets, none of which have ever been from A) a home improvement store or B) for anything related to decks. Was my phone listening? I have no idea. But this sort of thing has occurred in my social media feeds a handful of times.

jerrywall
05-31-2018, 10:06 PM
This thread took an odd turn.

Sorry.

dankrutka
06-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Good analysis, but it is relying a bit on Amazon... who is not transparent.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/may/31/ro-khanna/your-amazon-alexa-spying-you/

stile99
06-01-2018, 05:31 AM
I don't know (read: care) about Apple, but I know on Android you can selectively remove permissions. If you feel an app (like Twitter or Facebook) is listening to you, you can take away that app's permission to use the microphone.

As for a device like the Mini or Echo, it's really important to note that the family that claimed their Echo (a device that has a mute button, BTW, which works not to mute output from the device, but to mute YOU so it can't hear you) was spying on them 24/7 and sent a snippet of conversation to a random person for funsies actually triggered the device, triggered the function that calls a person, and then told the device who to call. They can claim it was an accident, and it might have been, but basically, they used the device for one of its intended functions. It's like saying you put a can of Coke in the freezer and left it too long, by the time you got back to it it was an exploded mess. Sure, it was an accident...but the freezer did exactly when everyone expects it to in this situation, nothing sinister.

jn1780
06-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I think bottom line is that you shouldn't be using any device connected to "the cloud" if your paranoid about data security. Your entrusting a third party with your information when you do that. I would personally also try to limit single sign on services that google and facebook provides for other websites. If those accounts become comprised everything else is compromised. Plus, that's more data points that google and facebook can track.

jerrywall
06-01-2018, 01:27 PM
I think bottom line is that you shouldn't be using any device connected to "the cloud" if your paranoid about data security. Your entrusting a third party with your information when you do that. I would personally also try to limit single sign on services that google and facebook provides for other websites. If those accounts become comprised everything else is compromised. Plus, that's more data points that google and facebook can track.

This. I accepted a long time ago that I have given up my right to privacy. I've been using social media for well over a decade, I'd had an online presence, and I have devices, several of them, that by technological design MUST be always listening to me (or else they wouldn't respond to OK GOOGLE or whatever). And they've admitted they use the background conversation to improve responsiveness.

This is just the way the world is now, unless you want to go live like the Unabomber.

TheTravellers
06-01-2018, 02:54 PM
This. I accepted a long time ago that I have given up my right to privacy. I've been using social media for well over a decade, I'd had an online presence, and I have devices, several of them, that by technological design MUST be always listening to me (or else they wouldn't respond to OK GOOGLE or whatever). And they've admitted they use the background conversation to improve responsiveness.

This is just the way the world is now, unless you want to go live like the Unabomber.

I'll most likely never use any device that responds to verbal commands, so that's another way to do things and it's not going to the extreme of Unabomber-type living. For all the people that use Google, Amazon, Dish, whoever listening devices, there's most likely *way* more *not* using that kind of thing. Can you imagine a house with 4-5 people in it yelling at all their devices to do things? Misery...

jerrywall
06-01-2018, 03:14 PM
We use it to mess with each other. It's like the time I got a friends phone to call his ex.

dankrutka
06-01-2018, 03:16 PM
I don't think we should just accept surveillance because "that's the way the world is." On a personal level, there are a variety of simple steps you can take to increase your privacy including switching browsers, using good password apps, and turning off/blocking tech when not using it among others. On a interpersonal level, we should continue discussions like these and stay informed. On a civic scale, we should pressure lawmakers to pass laws that increase corporate and government transparency and limit data collection. There's a spectrum of choices and actions, not simply a binary of unabomber or surveillance acceptance.