View Full Version : Brick median on Reno

ChrisHayes
05-20-2018, 07:23 AM
I've wondered this for a few years now, but why is the median on Reno, west of Council made of brick? Did there used to be a street car track there, that was taken up?

rezman
05-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Not sure why the center is brick, but that section of Reno was devloped back in the 60’s . Reno was a dirt road out that way and dead ended at the river until the early to mid 60’s. I don’t think there was ever any type rail down the center.

I do know that brick medians are not that uncommon on some older road roads and highways.

stile99
05-20-2018, 08:57 AM
There was definitely rail down the center. I don't know what timeframe it was used, but it was there and very much not used in the 80s.

rezman
05-20-2018, 11:00 AM
The brick has been there as long as I can remember. The street car, or interurban ran down Hwy 66 to the north. And the Rock Island east west line was just to the north between Reno and 10th. My Dad worked for Western Electric when the plant at Reno and Council was built. And the Rock Island tracks crossed just north of the plant. I used to ride around that area wih my Dad when I was a kid. Don’t ever recall any rail being on Reno. That would have been during the late 60’s into the 70’s. Maybe Jim Kyle or C.T. Chandler can give some insight.

stile99
05-20-2018, 12:02 PM
I agree, the brick was there as long as I can remember. I also remember tracks on either side of it at points.