View Full Version : Mediterranean Grill

SoonerDave
05-17-2018, 09:17 PM
This is a dandy place with gyros and other Greek dishes in strip mall on the east side of Western... A family favorite of ours for a long time. Concerned now that it has closed, but not sure.

Drove by a couple of times in the early evening this last week or so, and it looked closed then, too. Now they normally do close for a week each summer for vacation, but they normally post a note to that effect on the window. Tonight, they were closed at 7pm with nothing more than a "Sorry, Closed" sign in the window. The chairs were put up, but the place wasn't vacated, either. The plants looked neglected and dry, though, so they might actually be gone.

Anyone know? I'd hate to lose any good family spot like this.

Martin
05-17-2018, 09:37 PM
tried to go a month or two ago and they were closed then... their site says something along the lines of "temporarily closed due to change in management" but I don't know how long "temporary" is going to be. i'd rate them as my #2 gyro in the metro behind greek house in norman so i'm going to miss them if they don't reopen.

SoonerDave
05-18-2018, 07:16 AM
tried to go a month or two ago and they were closed then... their site says something along the lines of "temporarily closed due to change in management" but I don't know how long "temporary" is going to be. i'd rate them as my #2 gyro in the metro behind greek house in norman so i'm going to miss them if they don't reopen.
Ohhhh, man, that stinks. I think the place was run by a husband-and-wife team and if they sold out, it's probably gone. Dang it.

SoonerDave
05-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Well, a friend relayed some info that it isn't a husband-wife team; the lady who ran the front counter and managed most of the front of the house and was usually there from open to close had told them she was tired of the place and needed to help take care of her mom. It appears she made good on that, left, and no one since has been able to manage the place properly. They had cut back to 2pm hours a few months (weeks?) ago, and may now well be closed for good. That's a shame.

Martin
05-18-2018, 08:54 AM
i think i saw her the last couple of times i was there. i believe that the original operators were a couple of guys and it seemed to me that the quality went down just a little bit when i stopped seeing them there... relatively small stuff like the type of lettuce used on the gyros.

that's a shame about her family... hope somebody buys the place off of her and reopens it with the same recipes. there really aren't many good gyro options on the southside anymore... athena at 59th & penn used to be decent but their food has slowly declined over the last 20ish years.