Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pete
05-14-2018, 08:32 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/garage051418.jpg

Two West
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1a.jpg
5 Stories
221 Apartments
Developer: Colony Partners (Ron Bradshaw)
Architect: ADG

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1d.jpg

Carlton Residential
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage2a.jpg
5 Stories
204 Apartments
Developer: Carlton Development - Dallas
Architect: BGO

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage2b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage2c.jpg

Boulevard Place
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage3a.jpg
8 Stories
241 Apartments
Developer: Rose Rock - Tulsa
Architect: FSB

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage3b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage3c.jpg

Farzaneh
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage4a.jpg
5 Stories
192 Apartments
Developer: Farzaneh
Architect: Rand Elliott

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage4b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage4c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage4d.jpg

ChrisHayes
05-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Are all of these going to be built or are they options the city is considering?

hoya
05-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Boulevard place looks awesome. 8 stories.

Pete
05-15-2018, 04:03 AM
Are all of these going to be built or are they options the city is considering?

They are all responses to a Request for Proposal the city put out.

OCURA will choose one of the concepts/developers from these 4.

kevin lee
05-15-2018, 05:34 AM
Rand Elliott must have drawn up his design on 4-20

jdross1982
05-15-2018, 05:45 AM
Agreed. I think his looks just awful!

pw405
05-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Blvd Place has my vote. The design elements of 2West are great, but the general shape of the building is a little strange.

jonny d
05-15-2018, 05:58 AM
Agreed. I think his looks just awful!
His may get selected because of who he is, though. Not always what you know, but who you know.

Geographer
05-15-2018, 06:07 AM
I like Blvd Place for the street level space dedicated to retail....it's what you would want facing the Boulevard, Convention Center, Arena, etc. That, to me, is the most crucial part of their design...the 8 stories is just bonus points.

Colbafone
05-15-2018, 06:19 AM
It looks to me like Boulevard Place has the least amount of frontage on Shields. I'm super excited about it's footprint though. I suppose the lack of development on Shields is a good thing. That could allow a different development there. So overall, this has the smallest land usage, but the biggest footprint.

Urbanized
05-15-2018, 06:19 AM
His may get selected because of who he is, though. Not always what you know, but who you know.
I’m sorry but this is isn’t remotely true. Even if you believe that projects like this are awarded to “insiders” as opposed to based on merit/fit (they’re not), Rand has no more insider status here than people like Ron Bradshaw, Gary Brooks, or Tim Strange. Some would say less. Beyond that, he is the ARCHITECT on that project, not the developer, who in the case of his proposal is indeed a downtown outsider.

hfry
05-15-2018, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the images Pete. Will be interesting how OCURA will choose how will win. Do they have a grading system they will score them on or more just choose who they want? On the Two west complex it says 4 stories but I think it's actually 5. I could be wrong though, it's hard to tell from their images.

Pete
05-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the images Pete. Will be interesting how OCURA will choose how will win. Do they have a grading system they will score them on or more just choose who they want? On the Two west complex it says 4 stories but I think it's actually 5. I could be wrong though, it's hard to tell from their images.

You are right!

I changed the post to reflect 5 rather than 4 stories. Thanks for the correction.

hfry
05-15-2018, 06:40 AM
I'm also intrigued by the daycare ideas and then a story about these complexes with the daycare as the lead. I wonder if that was something OCURA said they wanted or if they are trying to gauge interest since it's really just spec space.

Pete
05-15-2018, 06:45 AM
I'm also intrigued by the daycare ideas and then a story about these complexes with the daycare as the lead. I wonder if that was something OCURA said they wanted or if they are trying to gauge interest since it's really just spec space.

From the RFP:

A need for high-quality childcare services in downtown exists. Strong consideration will be given to proposals that incorporate ground floor childcare

hfry
05-15-2018, 06:53 AM
^^^ makes sense. Thanks Pete!

David
05-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Boulevard Place is looking pretty great to me, with Two West coming in second on account of the design accents.

Farzaneh comes in 6th place in a 4 man contest.

ChrisHayes
05-15-2018, 08:02 AM
I like Two West because it has design elements from the convention center, but at the same time I prefer Boulevard Place because of it being 8 stories rather than 4 or 5.

Pete
05-15-2018, 08:05 AM
It's a good sign we have both a Tulsa and Dallas developer making proposals and all 4 are quality submissions.

Really can't lose here.

warreng88
05-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Two West has my vote. It has some architectural elements of the aloft in DD that I really like. Also, local architect that I really admire (AJ is a friend of mine) and a great local developer in Ron Bradshaw.

Question to whoever knows: I noticed the layout of the parking garage is different for each proposal. Will the awarded contract be for the housing and garage or just the housing?

warreng88
05-15-2018, 08:11 AM
Boulevard Place is looking pretty great to me, with Two West coming in second on account of the design accents.

Farzaneh comes in 6th place in a 4 man contest.

Still seems a little high...

David
05-15-2018, 08:12 AM
How do the finances of this work? Will it do anything to offset the cost of the garage to the city, or will it require more public funds? I'm not necessarily opposed if so as I believe this is an excellent idea for helping to activate the east side of the park, I'm just curious about how much skin we'll collectively have in the game for it.

Johnb911
05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
a couple questions: in the rfp is there a certain amount of these that are supposed to be affordable housing? is it all? I thought i remembered that people were hopeful that parts/all of these would be affordable housing.

also, and this is not at all important, but do the renderings for 2 West even match each other? the 3rd image seems to show a G shaped building, but the 4th image it looks like a 6 with that wing fully connecting back to the west. seems odd?

shawnw
05-15-2018, 08:47 AM
If you read Steve's article there's info about the affordable housing percentages.

warreng88
05-15-2018, 09:28 AM
also, and this is not at all important, but do the renderings for 2 West even match each other? the 3rd image seems to show a G shaped building, but the 4th image it looks like a 6 with that wing fully connecting back to the west. seems odd?

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ccgarage1d.jpg

If you look closely at the "6" if you will, you can see where it connect, there is a pass through that goes to the courtyard. The "G" shows the over head and likely what it would look like if units weren't above the pass through.

Not sure if that makes sense or not...

Johnb911
05-15-2018, 09:32 AM
If you look closely at the "6" if you will, you can see where it connect, there is a pass through that goes to the courtyard. The "G" shows the over head and likely what it would look like if units weren't above the pass through.

Not sure if that makes sense or not...

It totally does, and I saw the pass through on the 6 under the units. I was wondering if maybe they were toying with two different ideas (units above the pass through and not) and the images were one from each. I suppose looking at the whole package would tell that story.

soonerguru
05-15-2018, 10:58 AM
You guys have me second-guessing my first impression. As I said on the other thread, I'm not always the best at judging renderings, but I find the look of Boulevard Place to be austere and brutal. Some of the comments above reinforce that: "street wall," "imposing," etc. I'm a huge density proponent and avowed urbanist, so I love a good street wall. But I think this city needs more points of interaction along pedestrian corridors as opposed to endless superblocks. With my very untrained eye, Carlton Place appears to have a much friendlier street connection, IMO, and I admit I kind of like Two West, although it seems like it's trying too hard architecturally. I will be curious if I end up liking that one the most or even Boulevard Place, because like I've said I don't always have the ability to decode renderings as well as others. I have no clue what Elliot's design is all about but it looks depressing.

catch22
05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Even though Blvd Place is slightly more intimidating than the others, the fact that it will be taller is a bonus in this instance because it will be visible from the Bricktown side of the RR viaduct. That in itself will help to spur some pedestrian interaction between the two areas. I’m not normally a height over street interaction person, but in this instance I think it’s a fair trade off. Appears there is street retail space too so it wouldn’t be a completely dead sidewalk interaction.

baralheia
05-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Of the proposals, I honestly think I like Two West the most. I really like how the design emulates some of the architectural features from the convention center, and it does a very good job of feeling fresh and modern - and that it's proposed by a local developer. Love the allowance for patio space for a restaurant on the NW corner too. I do like the amount of green space provided, though I wish the frontage along Shields was better... In something this close to the core, it feels like the building's mass should be up to the street. I'm also not a huge fan of the angled parking along OKC Boulevard, either... those spots look like an absolute nightmare to get out of. I like the amount of access provided to the garage - there are entrances/exits on the Boulevard, Broadway, and 4th - but I think the Boulevard access could snarl traffic here. The Carlton Residential proposal does much better at massing at the street, and I like the wide plaza in front, but something about the design of the building feels awfully... suburban. I don't think this is the best fit for this location, but I definitely would love to see this design get built somewhere else in the metro. The Boulevard Place proposal is pretty great too, and is a very close second favorite. Love the height (8 floors!), the amount of ground floor retail, the designed-in patio space for a restaurant on the north-west corner of the building, and the fact that it's an Oklahoma-based developer. However, I don't think they've done enough to accentuate the north-east corner, as that corner will be super visible from the Boulevard/Shields intersection. That corner just doesn't feel inviting to me, and the rest of the exterior feels more bland than the other proposals... It feels more like a corporate tower vs a residential project. Reminds me a lot of the Oklahoma Tower, actually.

And then there's the Farzaneh/Rand Elliott proposal, which is just breathtakingly... ugh. The design, to me, is reminiscent of either a 60's-era Days Inn (and not in a good way), or a parking garage that's been converted to apartments. The design is downright depressing. I couldn't agree more with the "6th place in a field of 4 contenders" comment. Hard pass.

Laramie
05-15-2018, 11:39 AM
All of these projects blend with others in the upper/lower Bricktown district. Two West as baralheia mentioned does blend better among the group with the proposed convention center. Just don't have a preference at this point.

Pete mentioned the submissions by the Tulsa & Dallas developers; they just may have the inside track which may make it a two development race.

DoctorTaco
05-15-2018, 12:02 PM
The comment from one of the developers about "who would want to leave their kids in a place like this?" was so unintentionally hilarious. Dollars to donuts the speaker of that quote lives in Edmond.

John Rex elementary is just a few blocks away, for crying out loud! People leave their kids there all the time!!

Anonymous.
05-15-2018, 12:16 PM
BLVD Place is the best out of those. The height, rooftop pool, solid streetwall. A+

David
05-15-2018, 12:31 PM
The amount of street level retail in Boulevard Place is a big part of why it appeals to me. The additional floors compared to the other plans are a nice bonus that I think might feel better next to the Omni.

Ross MacLochness
05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
The comment from one of the developers about "who would want to leave their kids in a place like this?" was so unintentionally hilarious. Dollars to donuts the speaker of that quote lives in Edmond.

John Rex elementary is just a few blocks away, for crying out loud! People leave their kids there all the time!!

In addition, It would be great to have more areas for children directly adjacent to areas intended for adults so that the whole family can spend an evening out while both doing things they enjoy. Imagine an outdoor patio where you could go have dinner and a drink while you watch your kid play in a playground next door. Downtown should be a place where all people can feel comfortable.

Ross MacLochness
05-15-2018, 12:38 PM
BLVD Place is the best out of those. The height, rooftop pool, solid streetwall. A+

I love the amount of retail space on this one. My only negative here is the lack of pedestrian oriented frontage on gaylord. Also, I seem to be in the overwhelming minority of people who think Rand's design is interesting. It's not breathtaking but at least it isn't as cookie cutter and cliche as the other designs. Overall I like Blvd place and Carlton the best.

Johnb911
05-15-2018, 12:57 PM
My favorite is 2 West, because I think it's the most interesting to look at. Then BP. Carlton Place is fine. Not very appealing to me, but fine. And let's just all agree not to mention that other proposal.

Rover
05-15-2018, 01:05 PM
I just feel like the scale of BLVD is better with the Omni next door.

GoldFire
05-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Looking at them again, I do agree that Carlton does seem to have the best pedestrian interaction. I'm not a fan of the main corner with Two West featuring the gym.

kevin lee
05-17-2018, 12:44 PM
I just noticed the 10 foot tall 2W sign. That's impressive.

BoulderSooner
05-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Looking at them again, I do agree that Carlton does seem to have the best pedestrian interaction. I'm not a fan of the main corner with Two West featuring the gym.

I don’t really understand this point of view. Blvd place has retail and access all along the Blvd. more so than any of the other 3. Plus a day care entrance along shields

DallasOkie086
05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Which ever one gives the most retail space should win. I think parking is the primary use, then retail as the secondary need along the Blvd. If we are prioritizing residential over these two -- it should have been a requirement for the Omni to incorporate. The Omni did this in it's new Louisville facility, we could've asked for it here. Two of these proposals are acceptable and really the the latter of the two is just "adequate" IMO. Approve the BLVD.

DallasOkie086
05-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Blvd Place > Carlton > 2 West ( Only due to my limited understanding of retail space in this one) > the Elliot design is nice, but it isnt right for an entertainment section. Put that in Midtown

GoldFire
05-18-2018, 03:27 PM
I don’t really understand this point of view. Blvd place has retail and access all along the Blvd. more so than any of the other 3. Plus a day care entrance along shields

You are right, I had looked at it wrong. Blvd Place by far has the most retail when looking at the actual plans rather than just the renderings as I initially did.

Pete
06-18-2018, 10:16 AM
OCURA is going to name the 'conditional redeveloper' at its meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

They purposely left the name of the preferred submission to the RFP off their agenda items.

Urbanized
06-18-2018, 10:54 AM
...They purposely left the name of the preferred submission to the RFP off their agenda items.

What conclusion are we supposed to draw from this part of your post?

5alive
06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
I think Pete meant if the name had been on the agenda he would have announced it in his post.

Pete
06-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Today, OCURA named Bouelvard Place as the conditional developer / development.

See first post in this thread for details.

David
06-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Fantastic, just what I was hoping for.

jccouger
06-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Hooray!!

Pete
06-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Boulevard Place added a new video and a few new renderings to their website:

http://boulevardplaceokc.com/

Pete
06-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Reminder the developer of Boulevard Place is Rose Rock out of Tulsa.

Nice to see some outside-of-OKC interest and investment.

LuccaBrasi
06-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Not 100% Tulsa based though.......Tim Strange and Ashley Smith are Partners and they are OKC.

Pete
06-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Not 100% Tulsa based though.......Tim Strange and Ashley Smith are Partners and they are OKC.

?? Their website says both are currently working Tulsa projects.

Did they recently relocate?

Ross MacLochness
06-20-2018, 03:52 PM
"Boulevard Place" The most literal name possible haha

shawnw
06-20-2018, 04:16 PM
I mean, it could have been "Oklahoma City Boulevard Place", so there's that.

hoya
06-20-2018, 05:50 PM
I mean, it could have been "Oklahoma City Boulevard Place", so there's that.

Don’t give them any ideas.

Great selection though. This was easily my favorite.

Dustin
06-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Boulevard Place added a new video and a few new renderings to their website:

http://boulevardplaceokc.com/

Wow. It looks great! Great choice.

baralheia
06-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Today, OCURA named Bouelvard Place as the conditional developer / development.

See first post in this thread for details.

I had a feeling this would be the case... partially because they were the only proposal with a website set up already. Makes me wonder if the selection was pre-ordained and the proposal process was merely a formality.

Er... Sorry for the tin-foil hat moment. I just hope they do something to make the street-level retail look more open and inviting. That building, to me, looks super imposing and unfriendly. Would have loved to have seen something more like the 2West proposal (but with a better Shields streetwall and more ground-floor retail).

EDIT: I just watched the video on their website, and while the building still feels awfully "80's corporate tower" to me, I do feel a little better about the ground floor retail... the close up renderings of the ground floor retail area makes it look more open and inviting than what I've seen up to this point. There's still room for improvement, but not bad, tbh.

Urbanized
06-20-2018, 06:34 PM
?? Their website says both are currently working Tulsa projects.

Did they recently relocate?

I'm confused. Did who locate where? If you are talking about Tim Strange and Ashley Smith, both are longtime OKC residents with deep roots in the OKC business community.

Pete
06-20-2018, 06:34 PM
I can assure you the Ron Bradshaw group (Two West) was very disappointed.